OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Finished Primer & Feedback  (Read 43545 times)

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Finished Primer & Feedback
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »

Interesting stuff Knightmare

I assume that with the additional use of WMD during the Succession Wars and following conflicts that there are a lot more dead worlds compared to canon?

Is there a comparison either list or map showing which worlds are dead?

Also is there a list of active shipyards - obvious one being active is Titan and I think you mentioned the Gibbs yards in Lyran space?
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »

Nice job Knightmare! Very detailed Primer chocked full of interesting ideas and tidbits. I'm really doing a disservice not commenting in more detail. I would get away from the old Successor State names like the Draconis Combine for example. I'd refer to it as the Draconis Remnants as all or at least some of the other Kurita led factions would claim titular leadership over the Combine as a whole. The Lyran Commonwealth could simply become the Donegal Protectorate or the Tharkan Commonwealth as I'm sure that various Archons are running around. The Federated Suns u could refer to as the Crucis Pact or Great Avalon.

I'd really like to see who some canon characters (Hanse Davion, Katrina Steiner, Max Liao. Janos Marik, Takashi Kurita,    etc.) fit into this very non canon universe. Perhaps Katrina gets stuck as a pirate roaming the old Commonwealth frontier. Is Ian alive as the Prince? Janos putting the FWL back together? Interesting possibilities.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »

I assume that with the additional use of WMD during the Succession Wars and following conflicts that there are a lot more dead worlds compared to canon?

A considerable amount. World totals are closer to the 2596 map than the original 3025.

Is there a comparison either list or map showing which worlds are dead?

I'm finishing the map as we speak. Sadly, I've gone through close to fifteen revisions.

Also is there a list of active shipyards - obvious one being active is Titan and I think you mentioned the Gibbs yards in Lyran space?

A complete list will be made available. Individual faction files have more detailed maps showing the disposition of owned assets.

I would get away from the old Successor State names like the Draconis Combine for example.

I think you're forgetting there is always at least one faction (outside of the former FWL) that's going to claim a direct connection to a Great House as an inheritor. Try to remember that names carry weight and therefore power. The Council Lords all claimed the title of First Lord because to claim anything different would undermine their legitimate claim for the Star League's throne.

You can't say you want to be First Lord by calling yourself the Emperor. 

By the same token, if the Prince of New Avalon continues to call his nation the Federated Suns he's staking his claim as the legal titular leader of a Great House. He's claiming historical precedent to own something with a very long history and strong heritage. Claiming a title is the first step in claiming legitimacy. It's like planting your flag in the dirt. There is no mistaking your intention.

However, Member Developers are free to change the name of their faction. They only need to explain it! 
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

I get the hint Knightmare. Suppose i could take the Draconis Remnants centered on Luthien.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »

If you were going to play this (as in on OBT) I think players would need to work on various nations to get it up and running.  Being restricted to a single nation would have players too isolated from each other.

Shame Northwind isn't part of a state (according to the map I have anyway)  I'd take that one otherwise it would be

Federation of Skye
League of Gibson
Capellan Marches (indulge my inner Varnay)

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »

If you were going to play this (as in on OBT) I think players would need to work on various nations to get it up and running.  Being restricted to a single nation would have players too isolated from each other.

With a full line of players this wouldn't be a problem, but with only a few it could be difficult. In such a case and argument could be made for one player owning multiple factions from different Houses. It'd be one of the few ways to combat common interest, but it could also create some interesting RP.
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »

Warrior Fiefdoms (2858)
Sendai Trade Alliance (2953)
Terran Free States (2847)

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »

Warrior Fiefdoms (2858)
Sendai Trade Alliance (2953)
Terran Free States (2847)

Early, but noted.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

shwagpo

• Kavallerist
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »

Okay, first and foremost, great job KM.  This AU is becoming far more than I had envisioned back in the day.  I love the direction it is taking and a lot of things are pretty spot on.  I love how you handled the disassembly of some of the places we had seen troubles with(notably the FedSuns, though the Capellan March was easy, dislodging Robinson peacefully is a nice touch)

Okay, here goes.  The questions.

First off, Mercenaries.  I would figure they would exist in droves in this type of environ.  I could see them being very prolific in smaller units.
With the lack of Jumpships being privately commanded, i can't see Wolf's dragoons or Northwind Highlander like numbers(or even many regimental commands at all for that matter) in this AU.  I'm seeing Battalions being rule of the day for as big as it gets due, quite simply, to the sheer lack of transport for the average soldier of fortune.  is this an accurate representation or are there plans for bringing larger mercs to bear?  I've always been a proponent of the mercenary, it's kinda my thing.  I could see, with the balkanization effect, mercenaries not needing to travel far to find employment at the end of a contract, and an MRBC of sorts popping up to keep track of what Mercs are operating in various theatres.  With the huge numbers of potential employers, the galaxy has become a very profitable place for their kind.

I guess what I'm saying/asking is what are the plans for the mercs?   Are we going to see a lot of company and lance sized units making names for themselves over the huge multi-regimental commands we see in canon?

Now, onto something else I love, Solaris 7 and the games.  i'd be very willing to contribute in any of the areas I am posting on btw.  The games are an important part of CBT lore, and their framework had been established well before hte succession wars.  With the breakups, wee see stables that may have been sponsored by the same house now  each representing an individual proto state.  I believe you stated the militaries, though broken up into smaller lots, would look similar here to 3025, that still leaves 'Mech production at a relatively decent level, one that can support the idea of a neutral, free world with nothing to offer except simple entertainment as it's export, one everyone has a presence on.

Next up, Comstar being the center of the universe(in their eyes, yes) and their relations.  As was commented(and explained) their bringing on the HPGs isn't always beloved, and the information trade is not theirs alone anymore.  With the breakdown, do we see the development of black box tech a la the FedSuns in canon?  A means to transmit messeges over short distances incredibly quickly, but over long distances a jumpship may prove faster?  I would think with the lack of the HPGs, we'd see enterprising companies/research facilities working on the tech, such as the NAIS for example(if it's not completely gutted).

Point 3, Star league memory cores.  I assume at some point we will see the proliferation of LosTech, but with the sheer brutality and length of the Succession Wars in this AU, are we going to see partial Cores popping up?  And classic canon ComStar repression of?

Onward here, more questions, some of which might be sent via PM, but these are things I think publicly we the potential players could get away with knowing:)  I guess my last part of my last question could depend o nthe C* player.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »

First off, Mercenaries.  I would figure they would exist in droves in this type of environ.  I could see them being very prolific in smaller units.
I guess what I'm saying/asking is what are the plans for the mercs?   Are we going to see a lot of company and lance sized units making names for themselves over the huge multi-regimental commands we see in canon?

That is spot on. While it is not included in the posted primer, individual faction files have a generic list of "prominent" mercenary commands – i.e. those that are registered with ComStar, or important/big enough to warrant recognition. It's up to the Member Developer to write their descriptions if they want. Otherwise, the list gets published with the faction file as is.

Now, onto something else I love, Solaris 7 and the games.  i'd be very willing to contribute in any of the areas I am posting on btw.  The games are an important part of CBT lore, and their framework had been established well before hte succession wars.  With the breakups, wee see stables that may have been sponsored by the same house now  each representing an individual proto state.  I believe you stated the militaries, though broken up into smaller lots, would look similar here to 3025, that still leaves 'Mech production at a relatively decent level, one that can support the idea of a neutral, free world with nothing to offer except simple entertainment as it's export, one everyone has a presence on.

I've been kicking this idea around for a while. Most of it depends on finding a profitable way of distributing content. Without the HPG network it could take months, maybe even years for the games to travel across the Inner Sphere. There are very few wealthy, and safe planets, so the common citizen may not care for the Solarian games on their own, or be able to afford paying JumpShip captains sufficient funds to transport game/game results in a reasonable amount of time.

That said, I'm open to suggestions. I thought about the SBC incorporating the world and setting up regional games, but that's about it. 

With the breakdown, do we see the development of black box tech a la the FedSuns in canon?  A means to transmit messages over short distances incredibly quickly, but over long distances a jumpship may prove faster?  I would think with the lack of the HPGs, we'd see enterprising companies/research facilities working on the tech, such as the NAIS for example(if it's not completely gutted).

ComStar has looked into this technology (it isn't mentioned), and they're on the verge of a breakthrough in its replication and use. Other states are in such shambles (technologically speaking), that research into this type of tech would be pointless (for example, the NAIS doesn't exist). Also, the original Black Boxes have only just been found (within the decade). The current holders will have to decide what to do with them. Sell them? Use them and hope they don't break or crap out? Try to replicate them, etc.?

Point 3, Star league memory cores.  I assume at some point we will see the proliferation of LosTech, but with the sheer brutality and length of the Succession Wars in this AU, are we going to see partial Cores popping up?  And classic canon ComStar repression of?

We have, and we will see important LosTech crop up every once and a while. As for repression? Absolutely not. ComStar has a dedicated division focused on recovering technology. The corporation pays ridiculous money for any credible finds, so LosTech Prospecting will be just as popular – perhaps even more so – in this universe simply because the wealthiest entity in the Inner Sphere is super keen on paying for it. 

The only questions I'm loathe to delve into deals with specific faction questions – only because the faction files have some real Easter Eggs that I think would be ruined if I leaked them here.

Otherwise, ask away. If it's a no fly zone I'll just deflect.  ;D

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »

I've been kicking this idea around for a while. Most of it depends on finding a profitable way of distributing content. Without the HPG network it could take months, maybe even years for the games to travel across the Inner Sphere. There are very few wealthy, and safe planets, so the common citizen may not care for the Solarian games on their own, or be able to afford paying JumpShip captains sufficient funds to transport game/game results in a reasonable amount of time.

That said, I'm open to suggestions. I thought about the SBC incorporating the world and setting up regional games, but that's about it. 

You got it: Planet Games but nothing more until we have a good way to distribute content.

I don't really know how far/fast info can be sent without HPG.
Any clue on this?

shwagpo

• Kavallerist
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »

It all depends on the Jumpships.  A jumpship's recharge can take between 6 and 14 days iirc, depending on the star it's charging off of.  That aside, those closer to the region would get things done faster, and the former Hegemony worlds, perhaps part of the old FWL, and definitely Lyran holdings would receive the news quickly, as the merchants would be moving through systems much quicker.  If a message is shared with another trader from the same Trade union or whatnot, that information could, in theory, reach much of a former house region in weeks as jumpships enter systems and share information with others, who travel elsewhere.  Those outside of normal trade routes would lose this advantage, however.  But entertainment is potentially the most likely and profitable export of some worlds.  Even when economies are downtrodden, how much does spending on entertainment actually drop?  Even though some worlds can barely sustain life, the pursuit of said entertainment and costs associated with it very well may be considered worth it, or negotiated for as a point of both national pride and a sink to the depressive realities.  Look to sports on this one, as this is how i would associate the games.  A regional, or national 'team' if you will, would still garner the support of it's people in, say, soccer for instance, regardless of how downtrodden the people are.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »

I like the idea of regional games

Ie the Champion of the Federated Suns is crowned on Defiance people travel from across the Suns to see them

You could make Solaris the venue of the Inner Sphere champion of champions tournament where visitors who have won games around the Inner Sphere meet to fight it out for the Grand Prize

That would make games popular around the Inner Sphere but still keep Solaris very important

I'd also suggest various different ways of games is paint for less blood thirsty nations or powered down weapons while others use full on live rounds showing the differences

Although this isn't a live game I must admit its catching the imagination I've had ideas for about 10 of the nations so far :)

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up