OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circus Honorae  (Read 4608 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Circus Honorae
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »

The Circle of Honor is something that has grabbed my attention after doing some research on the Goliath Scorpions. Overshadowed by necrosia and seeking these tournaments meant to sharpen the dueling skills of their warriors that began a gladiatorial tradition which continues to this day is mentioned in a few places but largely forgotten.

I’d love to get a few details on these contests like when do they happen every five years (my guess for Kerensky’s five pointed star)? Does the winner get a prize or recognized as the Clan’s Champion for that time? Any special rules? How closely does it resemble the Martial Olympiad? Has there been any fiction (fan or otherwise) ever made which focuses on said tournament?

Here is what I have found thus far;

FM Warden Clan page 104-105
Embarrassed by the poor showing of the Scorpions against the Coyotes [sometime after 2854], Khan [Shandra] Dinour instructed all warriors to sharpen their individual combat skills in a series of tournaments. Based on the Martial Olympiad of the former Star League these contests pitted warrior against warrior and unit against unit under a variety of combat conditions across the Scorpions’ colonies. Loremaster Lan Kirov christened the events the Circus Honorae, or Circle of Honor, beginning a gladiatorial tradition still used in Scorpion society.

FM Warden Clan page 108
The Gunslinger ideal and the SLDF's once-proud Martial Olympiad serve as the foundation of the Scorpions' long standing Circus Honorae and Seeker traditions.

Please discuss!

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: Circus Honorae
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »

Okay folks, I just did a quick forum search over on the main CBT site and it seems that 5 years ago (in 2011 if you can believe that is that long ago) Alan Grant had similar questions in another thread. If it is okay with everyone I'd like to repost them here.

I'd like to gather some thoughts on something.

The Scorpions are known to conduct a kind of martial Olympics with their warriors. It is called the Circle of Honor or Circus Honorae

Warriors of Kerensky says:

"Khan Dinour created a series of tournaments known as the Circle of Honor, based on the Martial Olympiad of the Star League. This gladiatorial tradition still thrives in the present day."

My question, is what form do you think this takes? What kind of tournaments? Are they set up to be lethal or not? Are we thinking one-on-one duels? Teamplay (multiple people), augmented? Actual combat or simulated combat, or something more like a sporting event?

FM: WC goes a little further, specifying that it pits "warrior against warrior and unit against unit" in a variety of combat conditions across the Scorpions' colonies.

Thoughts? I'm trying to make the most of this, and have some fun with it.

Great minds think a like ???

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »

They should get a specific reward or title.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »

Well Ice, I found some more relevant information in Field Manual Warden Clans today. On page 113 under Gamma Galaxy the 14th Scorpion Grenadiers (The Dark Sting) says;

Star Colonel Shaffer has brought significant honor to Gamma Galaxy in winning the Circus Honorae's Cluster competition for the past two years running. Rewarded with the position of honor guard for the Scorpions' ancestral tombs on Strana Mechty, the unit's warriors have vied among themselves in recent months to achieve a spot in such hallowed service. Warriors on such duty proudly wear the amber pendants containing the stinger of a goliath scorpion that mark the tombs' defenders.

So it would seem that the following conclusions could be drawn;
Cluster sized engagements
Annual Competitions
Rewards include honored postings

Gladiatorial traditions and allusions to the Star League Martial Olympiad lead me to think that the Circus Honorae is indeed advanced war games ala simulated combat which is most unClanlike. Given the Clan's history of training the Wolf Dragoons such non-lethal sparring is likely a unique hallmark.

wolfcannon

• Overste
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »

holy necrosia Batman. 
Clan Coyote
Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
Omicron Galaxy

Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword

Daniels Avengers
General Jennifer Daniels

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »

Star Colonel Shaffer has brought significant honor to Gamma Galaxy in winning the Circus Honorae's Cluster competition for the past two years running. Rewarded with the position of honor guard for the Scorpions' ancestral tombs on Strana Mechty, the unit's warriors have vied among themselves in recent months to achieve a spot in such hallowed service. Warriors on such duty proudly wear the amber pendants containing the stinger of a goliath scorpion that mark the tombs' defenders.

So it would seem that the following conclusions could be drawn;
Cluster sized engagements
Annual Competitions
Rewards include honored postings

But there must be something else too because the Warriors vied among themselves to be in the honour guard.
Could it be that the honoured posting is less than needed for a Cluster having won such a prize? Is this a way to keep the pressure on such honour guards?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »

If you look back to my original quote of FM Warden Clan you'll see "pitted warrior against warrior and unit against unit ". When gauging scale I have judged Cluster vs. Cluster engagements to be the largest. Galaxy sized engagements are probably to large to conduct for the Scorpions without putting significant pressure on their defensive assignments. Warships may also be exempt as again I see them more as museum pieces rarely used in combat and I believe the Circus Honorae is a ground event.

However, below Cluster strength you have Trinary/Binary, Star, and Individual level matchups I believe. From there it is possible other specialty events encompassing Marskmanship, Blademastery, Unarmed Combat, etc. also exist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up