OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elite units of the SLDF  (Read 8901 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Elite units of the SLDF
« on: October 07, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »

So going through all the Star League Sourcebooks wonderful materiel again has really gotten me into thinking about the SLDF or at least some of its units in more specific detail. The Foreign Legion will be one such unit I will compile but first up is the Star League RCTs.

Terran Regimental Combat Team (Terran Hegemony)
277th Light Horse Regiment (I Corps)
138th Hussar Regiment (I Corps)
118th Dragoon Regiment (I Corps)
593rd Striker Regiment (I Corps)

1st Regimental Combat Team (Free Worlds League, 10th Army)
42nd Hussar Regiment (IV Corps)
75th Light Horse Regiment (XXVI Corps)
138th Dragoon Regiment (XXVI Corps)
195th Royal Light Horse Regiment (XXXIX Corps)

2nd Regimental Combat Team (Lyran Commonwealth, 12th Army)
25th Striker Regiment (LXI Corps)
85th Light Horse Regiment [destroyed on Detroit by nuclear strike 2764]
147th Dragoon [destroyed on Detroit 2764]
1111th Light Horse Regiment [destroyed on Detroit 2764]

3rd Regimental Combat Team (Draconis Combine, 16th Army)
71st Light Horse Regiment (XI Corps)
151st Light Horse Regiment (XI Corps)
19th Striker Regiment (XI Corps)
21st Striker Regiment (XI Corps)

4th Regimental Combat Team (Federated Suns, 4th Army)
255th Light Horse Regiment (LXII Corps)
111th Dragoon Regiment (LXII Corps)
55th Royal Light Horse Regiment (LXII Corps)
247th Dragoon Regiment (LXII Corps)

5th Regimental Combat Team (Capellan Confederation, 7th Army)
1003rd Light Horse Regiment (LXXXI Corps)
1010th Light Horse Regiment (LXXXI Corps)
982nd Striker Regiment (LXXXI Corps)
997th Striker Regiment (LXXXI Corps)

I will have to look for more on the 2nd RCT in FM SLDF and I will list out the other units tomorrow hopefully. I'd like to build a basic background that includes information on each of these.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 03:12:21 PM by Takiro »

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Elite units of the SLDF
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 04:33:24 PM »

What makes you think the Star League RCTs are elite units?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 09:51:21 PM »

Good question, suppose I could have said notable because when it comes to the Foreign Legion and its six regiments or any of the other national units they wouldn't be elite per say. However, the RCTs were inarguably a departure from Star League norms and looking into them should provide greater insight into the SLDF. What is their organization? Why were they formed? Where and how were they deployed? Who are these units? That's what I hope to get at with this more in depth look see and breaking them down as part of the Terran Regency project is already giving me some inspiration.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 02:06:25 AM »

What is their organization? Why were they formed?

This rang a bell. I checked and according to Field Manual ComStar (this is not a direct quote but close to one), "the RCTs were formed after 5 Regiments of the SLDF were sent in 2651 to conduct "War games" and had deplorable combat results (lack of coordination and morale).

The new RCTs contained four regiments and a single support and transportation unit, all under the command of one senior officer.
The SLDF hoped that thanks to interregimental cooperation, they would deploy and react like one in battle but with the strength of 4.

Furthermore, the RCTs were permanently assigned to a peculiar district, acting as "ambassadors" to the local people and becoming familiar with the territory."

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 07:08:29 AM »

This rang a bell. I checked and according to Field Manual ComStar (this is not a direct quote but close to one), "the RCTs were formed after 5 Regiments of the SLDF were sent in 2651 to conduct "War games" and had deplorable combat results (lack of coordination and morale).

The new RCTs contained four regiments and a single support and transportation unit, all under the command of one senior officer.
The SLDF hoped that thanks to interregimental cooperation, they would deploy and react like one in battle but with the strength of 4.

Furthermore, the RCTs were permanently assigned to a peculiar district, acting as "ambassadors" to the local people and becoming familiar with the territory."

Exactly, and we know the Eridani Light Horse chose to stay in the Rasalhague District of the Draconis Combine. We also know the fate of the Second RCT on Detroit in what was a precursor of the Uprising. But what there is more from the House Steiner Sourcebook (FASA-1621) about that unit. The paragraph below is pulled from page 36 of that work...

Inspired by what the large military exercise of 2651 had taught, the Star League now announced the formation of Regimental Combat Teams, groups of four combined-arms regiments to be stationed at strategic points around the League. The Second Regimental Combat Team, formed from two Striker Regiments and two Light Horse regiments, came to be headquartered on the Lyran world of Main Street. Soon nicknamed 'Paget's War Ponies' after the unit's commanding officer, the 2nd RCT became a much-admired model for the local LCAF.

What do we know of the rest?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 08:44:51 AM by Takiro »

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 03:33:20 PM »

What do we know of the rest?

I need to check Historical Liberation of Terra.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 10:57:13 AM »

More info on the RCTs I found in an older file. I've also been looking through the Historicals and there is more interesting info there as well.

Terran RCT (House Cameron, destroyed during initial Amaris Coup)
277th Light Horse Regiment (destroyed)
138th Hussar Regiment (destroyed)
118th Dragoon Regiment (destroyed)
593rd Striker Regiment (destroyed)
1st RCT (House Marik, 1 unit survived, departed on Exodus)
42nd Hussar Regiment (destroyed Hegemony Campaign)
75th Light Horse Regiment (destroyed Periphery Uprising)
138th Dragoon Regiment (survived Exodus)
   195th Royal Light Horse Regiment (destroyed Periphery Uprising)
2nd RCT (House Steiner, Paget’s War Ponies and the 12th Star Guards)
25th Striker Regiment (survived, joined LC)
   85th Light Horse Regiment (destroyed nuclear strike, Detroit pre-Amaris Coup)
147th Dragoon Regiment (destroyed surrounded, Detroit pre-Amaris Coup)
1111th Royal Light Horse (destroyed surrounded, Detroit pre-Amaris Coup)
3rd RCT (House Kurita, Eridani Light Horse)
   71st Light Horse Regiment (survived, joined FWL)
151st Light Horse Regiment (survived, joined FWL)
19th Striker Regiment (destroyed Hegemony Campaign)
21st Striker Regiment (survived, joined FWL)
4th RCT (House Davion, 2 units survived, departed on Exodus)
255th Light Horse Regiment (destroyed Hegemony Campaign)
111th Dragoon Regiment (survived Exodus)
55th Royal Light Horse Regiment (survived Exodus)
247th Dragoon Regiment (destroyed Hegemony Campaign)
5th RCT (House Liao, 1 unit survived, 1 unknown)
1003rd Light Horse Regiment (survived Exodus)
1010th Light Horse Regiment (destroyed Hegemony Campaign)
982nd Royal Striker Regiment (destroyed Periphery Uprising)
997th Striker Regiment (unknown, MIA circa 2766 to 2769)

Terran RCT (FM SLDF)
The 277th Light Horse Regiment, 138th Hussar Regiment, 118th Dragoon Regiment, and 593rd Striker Regiment are permanently assigned to the Terran regimental combat team. This four-regiment unit acts most commonly as an aggressor for I Corps’ divisions, but often cycles offworld to Mars and Venus for duty. Unlike most RCTs, which are made up of mostly light horse regiments, the Terran RCT is built of several classes of regiment to add variety to its tactics.

2nd RCT (House Steiner Sourcebook)
Inspired by what the large military exercise of 2651 had taught, the Star League now announced the formation of Regimental Combat Teams, groups of four combined-arms regiments to be stationed at strategic points around the League. The Second Regimental Combat Team, formed from two Striker Regiments and two Light Horse regiments, came to be headquartered on the Lyran world of Main Street. Soon nicknamed 'Paget's War Ponies' after the unit's commanding officer, the 2nd RCT became a much-admired model for the local LCAF.
The departure of the 2nd RCT from the far reaches of Coventry Province created a military vacuum there. A group of bandits decided to exploit the situation with a raid that devastated the Lyran world of Main Street, the former home of the 2nd RCT. In response to the bandit attacks and the general tensions throughout the Star League, the Archon placed the LCAF on general alert.

2nd RCT (FM SLDF)
Though it is listed merely as a “member of the Second RCT,” the reality is that the Twenty-fifth Striker Regiment is currently also the entirety of the Second RCT. The RCT was dispatched to the sparsely populated Detroit system to investigate rumors of weapon stockpiles. It was completely unprepared for a full division of Taurian rebels. The Eighty-fifth Light Horse was erased in a nuclear strike, while 147th Dragoons and the 1111th Royal Light Horse died as they were outnumbered and surrounded. Their death did allow the Twenty-fifth to fight its way through enemy flankers to escape to call in reinforcements. They have since returned to full strength, but the rest of the Second RCT remains empty for now.

4th RCT (FM SLDF)
   The four independent regiments—the 111th and 247th Dragoon Regiments, 255th Light Horse and Fifty-fifth Royal Light Horse—make up the Fourth RCT. Under the command of Lieutenant General Regis Colson, the Fourth RCT is the lead unit on anti-bandit operations. Working with SLIC assets, Fourth RCT has surprised several bandit groups either during their raid, or at the bandit’s base. This success has made tracking Fourth RCT a prime concern for both bandits and pirates, allowing LIV Corps’ Ninetieth Dragoon Regiment to make a few surprise raids along the border.

5th RCT (FM SLDF)
   In pursuit of the pirates and bandits plaguing the Capellan border, the four regiments of the Fifth Regimental Combat Team have been operating independently nearly non-stop for almost four years. In this time, the RCT has become a team in name only—despite sharing a homeworld with LXXI Corps and one another, the regiments have grown distant in both tactics and esprit de corps from one another. The recently-returned 1003rd Light Horse Regiment is the most experienced of the RCT, having fought three company sized bands in the past eighteen months. The 1010th Light Horse Regiment and 997th Striker Regiment are currently training against members of the Sixtieth Jump Division, though the two regiments expect to go their separate ways once they are released to their hunts. The 982nd Royal Striker Regiment is currently broken into battalion sized task forces, jumping from unnamed star to unnamed star within the Capellan Confederation. Seventh Army has noticed Fifth RCT’s inability to function as a combined unit. General Huong informed General Janssen that if he doesn’t recombine the RCT and use it as designed, he would consider the Fifth RCT available for reassignment to another corps.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 01:08:58 AM »

Unlike most RCTs, which are made up of mostly light horse regiments,

It seems mostly is 50%.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »

Yeah, I don't believe what I posted yesterday was any conclusion that I drew merely excerpts from the quoted text.
Pages: [1]   Go Up