OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fan-TRO 3145 Lyran Commonwealth Supplemental  (Read 23196 times)

Fenris

• Menig
Re: Fan-TRO 3145 Lyran Commonwealth Supplemental
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »

Well, the reason for the reverse order is rather trivial to be honest. Initially I only planned to release the Supplemental as a mini-TRO, consisting of only the Yggdrasil and the Nibelung. But after a while I decided to expand the TRO a bit and thus I wound up with with the reverse order. But I thought it to be alright as long as they are in some kind of logical order.

In-universe-wise the reason for the name (Yggdrasil) is mentioned in the fluff. ;)
From the meta-perspective however, since the design is quite powerful, a Berserker on steroids basically, I thought it befitting to pick the biggest motif in Germanic mythology for it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:37:52 PM by Fenris »

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »

Having only skimmed the book and considering how quickly you put this together, with art and record sheets, in word (pig of a program) and that you are not a native speaker, it's a bloody good effort.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Fenris

• Menig
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »

Thank you :)
And yeah, I got lucky that Rudy had a bit of time at his hands and managed to squeeze the artwork for my TRO in his schedule. Most of the other graphics artists that did work for CGL at one point or another were either occupied with CGL stuff/had huge waiting lists or didn't seem all that interested.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:35:05 PM by Fenris »

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »

For a non native speaker/writer of English you did real good. ;) Seriously wouldn't have known if you didn't tell us. Who did the art? Tis very nice. Any plans for future fanbooks?

Fenris

• Menig
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »

Nah, not as of now. Will have to see whether the post-DA era inspires me enough to do another one. Or maybe I add another design (or more) in a later revision of this Fan-TRO.
As for the art, the name is Rudy Valle (aka shortpainter).
http://www.darkartimages.com/
http://shortpainter.deviantart.com/

Alternatively Brother Ostavia recently mentioned that he's available for work as well. Not sure about his line art, but I suppose he's good at it too.
http://brotherostavia.deviantart.com/

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

Having only skimmed the book and considering how quickly you put this together, with art and record sheets, in word (pig of a program) and that you are not a native speaker, it's a bloody good effort.

What he said
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:41 AM »

Well, the reason for the reverse order is rather trivial to be honest. Initially I only planned to release the Supplemental as a mini-TRO, consisting of only the Yggdrasil and the Nibelung. But after a while I decided to expand the TRO a bit and thus I wound up with with the reverse order. But I thought it to be alright as long as they are in some kind of logical order.

In-universe-wise the reason for the name (Yggdrasil) is mentioned in the fluff. ;)
From the meta-perspective however, since the design is quite powerful, a Berserker on steroids basically, I thought it befitting to pick the biggest motif in Germanic mythology for it.

No major issue with the order it just threw me off for a start

Looking over a second time the Nibelung and the Terror variant are particularly nice - I may have to use a few these in my AU assuming you don't mind
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »

More Fun
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Fenris

• Menig
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »

Looking over a second time the Nibelung and the Terror variant are particularly nice - I may have to use a few these in my AU assuming you don't mind

Of course, feel free to do with them what you want, that's why I made the Fan-TRO, to have someone actually use the designs in his or her board/Mega Mek games ^^

And yeah, I was thoroughly dissapointed with Catalyst that they didn't follow through with what they started in XTRO Steiner concerning the Clan XL engines (they did though with Clan Lasers being available to the Davions as a progression from XTRO Davion to TRO 3145 Davion) and I could think of no logical reason for that, so I told myself "what the hell" and used the ideas of XTRO Steiner for my Fan-TRO. Though to keep it somewhat more credible, I decided that expensive variants utilizing CL XL engines ought to be all there is in that regard.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:00:17 AM by Fenris »

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:29 PM »

Fenris, a quick note; on the record sheets, each head has the standard 2 slots each for Sensors and Life Support in the head, but there is only a single circle for Life Support at the bottom of each record sheet, while Sensors have two circles.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 02:13:06 AM »

I found it interesting but you tried to pack too many things on the pages without letting much space and I find that this can be hard to read.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Fenris

• Menig
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 04:16:32 AM »

Hm, not sure. The only things I actually added (for Mechs) were the overall amount of structure and armor points plus armor percentage (upper right part), as well as the production cost (next to BV) and the year of introduction (near era). And I marked which DHS are in the engine. But other than that it's the same scheme as used by Catalyst. All my additions actually aimed to clarify rather than confuse... :/
Does it really appear THAT confusing?

@Red Pins:
Hm, not sure whether that is an error? Every single Catalyst RS that I own does it the same way. I mean I basically took screenshots from their RS and then edited them in a graphics editing programm. But that particual section of the RS wasn't among the ones I edited.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:02:46 AM by Fenris »

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »

...Because...  A Mech can fight without sensors but not LS?  I guess it makes sense...

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »

How did you get it to look this good in WORD!?
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Fenris

• Menig
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »

Well... page backgrounds, RSs, Quick/Alphastrike Cards were all done in a graphics editor, to be honest. So I only inserted the graphics and adjusted the scale. The text boxes are tables. I know, word is a tad goofy, but it works more or less...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up