OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mercenaries Wanted! (3rd Marik Civil War)  (Read 17720 times)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Mercenaries Wanted! (3rd Marik Civil War)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »

Got ya, I can't think of any Dropships that would be off limits per say other those not available during this era.

The problem being more how can I transport these units in a logical way...

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 07:28:19 PM »

Haha, logic! Your funny ;D

Seriously though I can't imagine more than an Overlord will be needed here with Unions or perhaps Fortresses being more of the rule.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 01:00:52 AM »

Haha, logic! Your funny ;D

Seriously though I can't imagine more than an Overlord will be needed here with Unions or perhaps Fortresses being more of the rule.

Since I am thinking about a combined-arms unit on the small side and with more infantry than anything else, I am fighting to make some sense out of the transport part.
And Fortresses are too rare for a small mercenary unit.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 04:14:13 AM »

Fluff can justify many things including a Fortress. Combined arms isn't all that common either. Practitioners include the AFFS and the Defenders of Andurien in the not too distant past. Perhaps the origins of this merc company will explain it's transport. Or you could go for a Union or an Overlord (depending on your size) and a Truimph, Condor, Seeker, Gazelle, or a Fury. All depends on your size. Two hard points per Merchant or three per Invader.

But while I am riffing here what of creating a Micro Combat Team (MCT) by some former Fedrat. Smaller than even a jihad era LCT this company of Mechs and lance of fighters supported by a battalion of armor and 5 companies of infantry focuses on combined arms combat. This would likely mean a Union and modified Triumph to pull of lift capacity.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »

But while I am riffing here what of creating a Micro Combat Team (MCT) by some former Fedrat. Smaller than even a jihad era LCT this company of Mechs and lance of fighters supported by a battalion of armor and 5 companies of infantry focuses on combined arms combat. This would likely mean a Union and modified Triumph to pull of lift capacity.

Well I ran with this today -

Battlegroup Alpha
Commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Cory Masterson of Elbar this combined arms battalion is known for its high degree of professionalism. Masterson, whose family traditions date back to the Terran Hegemony, retired from the AFFC following the War of 3039. Assembling this unit on Outreach took most of his private fortune and substantial investment by other unknown parties. Some believe the Wolf Dragoons were involved, others a powerful FedCom nobles, but whatever the case the unit filled out quickly. Mostly composed of former AFFC troopers the Battlegroup incorporates soldiers from many different backgrounds. Members hail from as far away as the Periphery but also include rebels from the Defenders of Andurien and recently even a former member of the ComGuards has joined their ranks. They have mainly performed training duty in the service of the Federated Commonwealth over their brief decade of service earning the Battlegroup the derisive moniker of ‘Cadre Queens’. While openly scorned by old school mercenaries, Lyran Social Generals, and Draconis traditionalists they have earned a solid reputation for their veteran skill level and high reliability. Command of the Alphas is overseen by Masterson who is a retired Mechwarrior and his similarly retired Armor and Infantry Majors. Captains of the force make up the active Field Command which is composed of eleven officers joined by the Aerospace Lieutenant. They have a large degree of flexibility but their familiarity with the combined arms doctrine makes them function seamlessly on the battlefield. The expense of enlarging the unit is probably prohibitive as their Dropships, the Core Charge a Union and the True Value a Triumph, alone have set them back quite away.

- 15 platoons for this MCT (7 tons per platoon means 105 tons)
- If you already had 4 platoons (28 tons) you'd need 77 tons somewhere
- 36 Heavy Vehicles (3,600 tons) these are tracked mainly, tanks
-24 Light Vehicles (1,200 tons) from VTOLs to hovercraft to wheeled APCs all in support of the infantry
- essentially end up minus 2 light Vehicles (-100 tons which pays for the infantry addition of +77 tons)
- this adds 23 tons to cargo (272 tons total now)

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 04:54:53 PM »

14th Team

Motto: We’ll be back
Unofficial Motto: Never two without three

History:
The 14th Team is made of survivors, having been on the losing side of two Civil Wars in the Free Worlds League and managing both time to make it to safety only through what some would call luck and others the sheer determination of some officers.
The first one was Force Commander Leonard Royal that lead the raid on a “loyalist” JumpShip orbiting around Tiber when the 6th and the 8th Ducal Guards were destroyed in operation and left by their own people to die or surrender there. His daring attack allowed some remains of the “rebel” Ducal Guards to begin a new life as mercenaries in the Periphery.
The second one was Force Commander Genevieve Celandine, which through her sacrifice on Cursa (the 14th Team was training the militia) alongside the local militia gave enough time for the 4th Defenders of Andurien to leave but most importantly allowing the remains of the 14th Team to flee at the same time to Andurien before once more departing for the Periphery.

Composition:
The 14th Team organisation is still linked to the one of the Ducal Guards raised by Anton Marik, although on a smaller scale due to the suffered loses and the lack of cash to expand.

The first generation, those who fought in the last Marik Civil War are no longer part of the unit, being either dead or retired. Their sons and daughters made the bulk of the 14th Team at the beginning of the Andurien Wars but due to the loses suffered both during the offensive and defensive phases, they now represent only a half of the unit, with members of the third generation being offered earlier as expected a place in the unit, Anduriens (mostly from the Cursa Militia), members of other small units that fought in the Andurien Wars and people from the Periphery making the other half.

Tiber’s Tigers
A typical Marik Mechanised Infantry Battalion, Tiber’s Tigers just hit and run, avoiding as much as possible to hold or take ground as the unit is lacking in numbers or support weapons to do this. They usually ambush their target before retreating to a new ambush site and have been known to take down all kind of units through their hit-and-run tactics.
If forced to attack or defend a piece of ground, they usually try to stay mobile and to coordinate their actions with the other units.
Since at this time, the overall command is not with Tiber’s Tigers, there is no officer above the rank of Captain but this doesn’t prevent them from fighting efficiently above company-level as overall command is then given to the most senior officer.

Captain Robin Nidia: 1st Company Nidia’s Roughnecks
Captain Buffy Kellen: 2nd Company The Teachers
Captain Ronald Adella: 3rd Company The Bad Men
Captain Mat Remington; 4th Company The Colts

Clifton‘s Flankers
Made mostly of Galleons with a Platoon of Harassers and under the command of Force Captain Dotty Clifton, they drill to be able to cover the flanks of the 14th Team main force (whichever is leading on a peculiar operation) while making their presence felt both on offensive and defensive phases.
Even if Force Captain Dotty Clifton is an Andurien by birth and came in the 14th Team after the Andurien Wars, her willingness to get back to the Free Worlds League and will to lead from the front as earned her the respect of her men.

Force Captain Dotty Cliffort: 1st Platoon The Phlegmatic ones
Lieutenant Elisavet Paraskevas: 2nd Platoon Paraskevas’ Triremes
Lieutenant Justin Kerensa: 3rd Platoon The Swift Wind

The Duke‘s Heitairoi
The ‘Mech forces of the 14th Team are not the newest on the market as most of them fought in Anton’s Revolt but they do the job, each Lance has its own tactics with the Twisters trying to use their speed and mobility for the best, the Hammers focusing on raw firepower at close ranges and the Crown being perhaps the most versatile of the three units.

Reyes Kaylegh has just been elected to the position of Force Commander and feels the pressure of the great deeds performed by the first two Force Commanders that allowed the 14th Team to make it alive from both Marik Civil Wars. Being already a third generation member of the unit, he lacks the hatred of the Free Worlds League displayed by the first generations and sees it as a kind of Promised Land for his unit.

The Crown
Force Commander Reyes Kayleigh Orion ON1-K
MechWarrior Trixie Calleigh Black Knight BL-7-KNT-L
MechWarrior Graham Truman Wolverine WVR-6M
MechWarrior Kathryn Effie Wasp WSP-1W
Lieutenant Mitchell Carol Stingray F-90
Lieutenant Younus Javed Stingray F-90

The Hammers
Lieutenant Nikoleta Giffard Orion ON1-VA
MechWarrior Delia Jennifer Warhammer WHR-6R
MechWarrior Anemone Zayne Grasshopper GHR-5H
MechWarrior Modesta Fulgencio Hunchback HBK-4P

The Twisters
Lieutenant Ayden Grosvenor Quickdraw QKD-4G
MechWarrior Patton Denny Phoenix Hawk PXH-1
MechWarrior Sandu Tyler Trebuchet TBT-5J
MechWarrior Baudelio Ignacio Spider SDR -5V

Sneakers
Apart from the sale of their original “borrowed” JumpShip for much needed money at that time, the 14th Team has always tried to kept their DropShips operational as they see mobility as the key to their survival. They are always really careful about the transport conditions in their contracts.

Commodore Fae Sharona: Condor, Three Days of the Condor
Commodore   Yasmin Brooklyn: Intruder, Lions for Lambs
Commodore   Basil Melany: Union, The Last Castle

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 10:10:08 PM »

First of all, a lot of good movie references there. Love Sneakers, Three Days of the Condor is my favorite, and Last Castle is a guilty pleasure. Lions for Lambs though never caught my interest. That being said is the 14th Team a play on the 13th Warrior?

Where did the Ducal Guard ever come from anyway? That is a canon question that has never been answered to my satisfaction. Basically just 5 regiments from nowhere. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not a bad unit. I certainly have my assumption on who they'd work for but love to hear your thoughts on whom they'd fight for in the 3rd Marik Civil War.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 01:31:34 AM »

I believe the Ducal Guard was originally the provincial brigade of the Protectorate, which Anton expanded quite legally before the rebellion, as ruler of the province and commander of the Capellan front.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 06:27:36 AM »

Well there was no Protectorate before Anton's Rebellion? According to House Marik SB 'The six worlds of New Delos, Sophie's World, Nova Roma, McKenna, Fuentes, and Emris had been independent states (Provinces) legally separated from the Duchy of Oriente during the previous century, and placed under the administrative control of Janos Marik's younger brother Anton, the Duke of Procyon.'

I do recall Anton being named Commander of the Capellan Front as well so it appears that Janos enabled his brother into becoming the monster he was. He was almost a Viceroy or co-ruler it seems with wide reaching powers granted to him by his brother who turned on him. At least that is my breakdown.

Actually sarna.net has some info on the force as well.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ducal_Guards

Bradshaw

• General
  • Expect it most when you expect it least
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 01:00:31 PM »

An interesting idea for a What If? What if Anton succeeded in becoming the Captain General...
NEVER trust a man who scratches his chin

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »

That being said is the 14th Team a play on the 13th Warrior?

8 + 6 = 14 :P

Not a bad unit. I certainly have my assumption on who they'd work for but love to hear your thoughts on whom they'd fight for in the 3rd Marik Civil War.

I gave some thoughts to that but I couldn't decide myself.
Perhaps the underdog from the Periphery?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 06:05:08 AM »

I was actually going to say Isis as Anton's troops were at least paid in L-Bills but perhaps you are right and they would rather go with another renegade side because of that very experience. So you still think they'd have Liao ties or go against that now?

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 03:24:25 PM »

I was actually going to say Isis as Anton's troops were at least paid in L-Bills but perhaps you are right and they would rather go with another renegade side because of that very experience. So you still think they'd have Liao ties or go against that now?

I would make them go against them because of that experience and the Andurien one.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 05:01:08 PM »

Interesting, I will sign them up!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up