OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Threat Assessments 2785  (Read 12165 times)

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
Threat Assessments 2785
« on: August 01, 2009, 10:42:23 PM »

Rainbow 6
Champion

Threat Assessments 2785
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:35:44 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys i've been talking to Takiro and he's asked me to start a thread about SLDF era weapons cache's, repair depots & WMD production facilities so if anyone's got any info please share. 

Report to moderator    86.168.173.131 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

muttley
Advocate

Re: Threat Assessments 2785
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:45:07 AM » Quote 

The Galtor Library, Helm Memory Core, New Dallas Memory Core, Camelot Command & Gabriel come to mind immediately

Report to moderator    Logged 

"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:32:20 AM » Quote 

Hey thanks Six. As I was saying we should think of targets besides mech factories in a Succession War setting. Star League Caches might be a concern especially for the Terrans. WMD facilities constructing weapons for use against you might be another. Fuel Depots that supply the Navies of the InnerSphere and are the life blood of interplanetary travel. Any other stuff we are missing? 

"It is better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    U. S. Grant

"Don't think about what I say, cause I don't."
   John Luther

MechRat
Defender of Shattered Dawn
Administrator
Grand Champion

Help out a hungry Mechrat - Donate a 'Mech today

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:00:55 AM » Quote 

What about agricultural/foodstuff supply depots and distribution centers? Medical research facilities? Attacking these may be seen as excessively cruel and most likely violating the Ares Conventions, but their destruction would certainly hamper the effectiveness of the Terran state. Just a thought...

All I want is just a nibble of 'Mech armor & myomer... is that so wrong?
(avatar by Knightmare)

"Beware the quiet ones, for you know not what they think." - me

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:33:57 AM » Quote 

Hmm, I doubt "poisoning the well" is a strategy at this time. It is enough to target jumpships carrying supplies which is another good target for the Succession War. Jumpships themselves. Is there anywhere else besides Shipyards and Fuel Depots (I think we covered them) to find those targets? Also remember when considering the targets you are the Terrans. I give you permission to think bad thoughts about what you can blow up but don't get too nuts. 

U. S. Grant

John Luther

Rainbow 6
Champion

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 01:06:27 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

Military HQ's & Academies would be a good idea, cut of the head and the body dies & destroy the ability to replenish any losses. 

Report to moderator    86.173.122.165 

muttley
Advocate

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 02:29:46 PM » Quote 

Or an "objective raid" to grab or rescue the faculty, staff, students, & material from some of the military academies in the member states- especially ones affiliated with the SLDF.

"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 02:47:17 PM » Quote 

Good hit Muttley! What was that planet the Minnesota Tribe hit and freed all those prisoners? Realms like the Capellan Confederation, Draconis Combine, and to a far lesser extent the Free Worlds League might hold dissidents in Reeducation Camps located around the InnerSphere. The Star League was a popular organization and had many supporters who still might agitate for the Last Cameron.

Side note, how about prisons in the Periphery for SLDF personnel captured during the Uprising? Kind of a US Vietnam angle I'm going for here.

U. S. Grant

John Luther

lrose
Administrator
Champion

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 03:36:24 PM » Quote 

Quote from: Takiro on April 18, 2009, 02:47:17 PM
Side note, how about prisons in the Periphery for SLDF personnel captured during the Uprising? Kind of a US Vietnam angle I'm going for here.

Would the Periphery states even take prisoners?  If they did I think they would have released them by 2770 at the latest.  While the Periphery states wanted their independence from the SL, they were repulsed by what Amaris did:
The periphery divisions that Amaris had ordered to protect the Republic had refused the order. Their reasons were many, but the most common one was revulsion for what Stefan Amaris had done. The warriors in the divisions had wanted independence from the Star League, not the death of innocents SLSB p. 87

Then add in:
Even the people of the Peripherym themselves not yet recovered from the ravages of war, felt compassion for the billions in the Hegemony and gave what they could. SLSB p. 95

Based on that I think the people of the periphery (in general - there would be exceptions) would not want to hold prisoners but would have released them so that they could fight to free their homeworlds from Amaris.

muttley
Advocate

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 03:38:42 PM » Quote 

Richmond I believe.

Hessian
Advocate

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 07:07:08 PM » Quote 

What was that planet the Minnesota Tribe hit and freed all those prisoners?

Quote from: muttley on April 18, 2009, 03:38:42 PM
Richmond I believe.

Indeed. Richmond was the last world the Tribe hit. Before that they "visited" Svelvik, Trondheim and Jarett.

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 09:40:52 PM » Quote 

Thanks guys. Your probably right about the Periphery now that I think about it Irose. Maybe a unit marooned somewhere in the Periphery and likely assumed dead but not taken prisoner. 

U. S. Grant

John Luther

muttley
Advocate

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 09:46:26 PM » Quote 

Rereading the SLSB, there were no SLDF acadamies outside the FS & LC but theres nothing to stop us from having a few visiting professors at Sun Zang or Princefield.

And of course, SLDF personnel might have been "interned" by some of the houses... the chaos around the coup period would allow SAFE or ISF or Mask to "disappear" some Royal unit personnel or techs.

Or how about survivors of the 19th Striker of the ELH handed over to the ISF after their destruction on Amity?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:54:37 PM by muttley »  Report to moderator    Logged 

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 10:25:05 PM » Quote 

Actually Proserpina in the Draconis Combine along the Davion border did have a Star League Academy. However any SLDF personnel were likely returned or expelled while Kerensky was in the InnerSphere. No House would want to tick off the SLDF. Camps would be for natives who actively or were suspected of aiding the Last Cameron. Amity is actually in the FWL.

U. S. Grant

John Luther

muttley
Advocate

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 10:33:57 PM » Quote 

Handed over or grabbed by SAFE while Escape & Evading after the destruction of their regiment? (Even more fun given the current relationships)

Oops on Prosperina- didn't verify on a map which House it was in during the SL era.  Just checked the Kurita Sourcebook- among other things it helps if I spell it correctly as Takiro did...   But why on Earth would a Cameron go to school way out there?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:41:45 PM by muttley »  Report to moderator    Logged 

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:42:56 PM »

blacktigeractual
Contributor
Champion

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 11:27:01 PM » Quote 

Quote from: muttley on April 18, 2009, 10:33:57 PM
Handed over or grabbed by SAFE while Escape & Evading after the destruction of their regiment? (Even more fun given the current relationships)

Oops on Prosperina- didn't verify on a map which House it was in during the SL era.  Just checked the Kurita Sourcebook- among other things it helps if I spell it correctly as Takiro did...   But why on Earth would a Cameron go to school way out there?

To my knowledge none did but if you make the Cameron family like the Davions or the Kuritas there are a lot of them and as members of the ruling house they may pop up all over the Sphere in diplomatic and economic functions or in the millitary.  Also remember going to school "abroad" may have the same attraction in thier eyes as it would in ours.  The Combine during the SL may simply be "exotic".  Look at it this way take your favorite house; list all the things you like about the culture, now imagine you are "Joe Shmoe-Cameron" 3018th line for the throne yopu have some assets and some family backing and can go pretty much any college your grades can get you in.  Now you've always liked (insert House)... What do you do?
  Of course this is why Amaris probably would not have been able to wipe out the entire ruling line.  There are just too many of them. 
  But lets not go there.

Captain Bruce Gilmour
13th Assault Company "The Black Cats"
90th Heavy Assault Regiment

My sense of the absurd keeps me sane.
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the person, the surer they are they know precisely what is right and what is wrong."
-Henry L. Mencken
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
-Ambrose Bierce
"Enjoy please HappyJoyColdFun Pops now with more natural blue flavor!"

Ice Hellion
Contributor
Grand Champion

Part time builder of fallen Empires

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 07:47:26 PM » Quote 

What about the repair installations?

In Turn they tested each Clan namesake in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle. Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down. All failed to match the predator's speed and grace. Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage: 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Rainbow 6
Champion

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 01:56:53 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

It seems all worlds in the inner sphere have a small repair/logistics base (the ability to repair/rearm between a lance and a company of mechs), but some worlds have repair bases able to handle and battalion or more of mechs at any one time. 

Report to moderator    86.170.127.127 

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 08:10:26 PM » Quote 

Quote from: Ice Hellion on April 20, 2009, 07:47:26 PM
What about the repair installations?

Not at this time Ice, I would think they are far too numerous to be considered with. Right now you'd probably just target the means of production.

U. S. Grant

John Luther

Ice Hellion
Contributor
Grand Champion

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 09:12:53 PM » Quote 

Which are probably as numerous or even more.
Targeting the big repair installations could give one a small advantage.

In Turn they tested each Clan namesake in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle. Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down. All failed to match the predator's speed and grace. Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:20 PM » Quote 

Negative, think about what your saying. Repair Bays are like Mechanic Shops albeit there might not be as many but Mech Factories are like Assembly Lines which are much less in number.

U. S. Grant

John Luther

Ice Hellion
Contributor
Grand Champion

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:33 PM » Quote 

Quote from: Takiro on April 21, 2009, 09:16:20 PM
Negative, think about what your saying. Repair Bays are like Mechanic Shops albeit there might not be as many but Mech Factories are like Assembly Lines which are much less in number.

I was thinking about the big ones, like the one pictured in TRO 3025 not the small Repair Bays.

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 08:17:47 PM » Quote 

Right your thinking 3025 when large Repair Bays are attractive targets and not for destruction but capture. In 2785 these bays are much more plentiful and tactical rather than strategic concerns. It is likely most worlds have them and other high technology could devalue their target status.

U. S. Grant

John Luther

lrose
Administrator
Champion

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 10:19:31 PM » Quote 

Quote from: Takiro on April 22, 2009, 08:17:47 PM
Right your thinking 3025 when large Repair Bays are attractive targets and not for destruction but capture. In 2785 these bays are much more plentiful and tactical rather than strategic concerns. It is likely most worlds have them and other high technology could devalue their target status.

Re-read the repair bay write up in TR3025- these were key targets, throughout the entire SW era. 

Rainbow 6
Champion

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 01:54:59 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

Correct they were present on nearly every planet and were primery targets in any planetary invasion.

After all remove the defending units logistics and they'll be easyer to destroy in the field. 

Report to moderator    86.162.2.225 

Takiro
Administrator
Grand Champion

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:57 PM » Quote 

I believe Mech Repair Bays are Tactical targets rather than Strategic because they are found on tons of planets at this time. They aren't like a Mech factory on perhaps 1 out of every 10 systems say. There for I wouldn't include them.

U. S. Grant

John Luther

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »

Hi guys i've been talking to Takiro and he's asked me to start a thread about SLDF era weapons cache's, repair depots & WMD production facilities so if anyone's got any info please share.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »

The Galtor Library, Helm Memory Core, New Dallas Memory Core, Camelot Command & Gabriel come to mind immediately

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:41:23 PM »

Hey thanks Six. As I was saying we should think of targets besides mech factories in a Succession War setting. Star League Caches might be a concern especially for the Terrans. WMD facilities constructing weapons for use against you might be another. Fuel Depots that supply the Navies of the InnerSphere and are the life blood of interplanetary travel. Any other stuff we are missing?

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »

What about agricultural/foodstuff supply depots and distribution centers? Medical research facilities? Attacking these may be seen as excessively cruel and most likely violating the Ares Conventions, but their destruction would certainly hamper the effectiveness of the Terran state. Just a thought...

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 11:42:06 PM »

Hmm, I doubt "poisoning the well" is a strategy at this time. It is enough to target jumpships carrying supplies which is another good target for the Succession War. Jumpships themselves. Is there anywhere else besides Shipyards and Fuel Depots (I think we covered them) to find those targets? Also remember when considering the targets you are the Terrans. I give you permission to think bad thoughts about what you can blow up but don't get too nuts.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:42:33 PM »

Military HQ's & Academies would be a good idea, cut of the head and the body dies & destroy the ability to replenish any losses.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:48 PM »

Or an "objective raid" to grab or rescue the faculty, staff, students, & material from some of the military academies in the member states- especially ones affiliated with the SLDF.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »

Good hit Muttley! What was that planet the Minnesota Tribe hit and freed all those prisoners? Realms like the Capellan Confederation, Draconis Combine, and to a far lesser extent the Free Worlds League might hold dissidents in Reeducation Camps located around the InnerSphere. The Star League was a popular organization and had many supporters who still might agitate for the Last Cameron.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »

Would the Periphery states even take prisoners?  If they did I think they would have released them by 2770 at the latest.  While the Periphery states wanted their independence from the SL, they were repulsed by what Amaris did:
The periphery divisions that Amaris had ordered to protect the Republic had refused the order. Their reasons were many, but the most common one was revulsion for what Stefan Amaris had done. The warriors in the divisions had wanted independence from the Star League, not the death of innocents SLSB p. 87

Then add in:
Even the people of the Peripherym themselves not yet recovered from the ravages of war, felt compassion for the billions in the Hegemony and gave what they could. SLSB p. 95

Based on that I think the people of the periphery (in general - there would be exceptions) would not want to hold prisoners but would have released them so that they could fight to free their homeworlds from Amaris.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 11:47:02 PM »

Richmond I believe.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »

What was that planet the Minnesota Tribe hit and freed all those prisoners?

Quote from: muttley on April 18, 2009, 03:38:42 PM
Richmond I believe.

Indeed. Richmond was the last world the Tribe hit. Before that they "visited" Svelvik, Trondheim and Jarett.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »

Thanks guys. Your probably right about the Periphery now that I think about it Irose. Maybe a unit marooned somewhere in the Periphery and likely assumed dead but not taken prisoner.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 11:48:11 PM »

Rereading the SLSB, there were no SLDF acadamies outside the FS & LC but theres nothing to stop us from having a few visiting professors at Sun Zang or Princefield.

And of course, SLDF personnel might have been "interned" by some of the houses... the chaos around the coup period would allow SAFE or ISF or Mask to "disappear" some Royal unit personnel or techs.

Or how about survivors of the 19th Striker of the ELH handed over to the ISF after their destruction on
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up