OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimizing the Cyclops  (Read 19548 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Optimizing the Cyclops
« on: November 07, 2021, 11:25:41 PM »

The fifty-third design optimization gets us to ninety-tons and a rare BattleMech not often seen, the Cyclops. Pretty rare in my home campaigns as well the Cyclops squarely resides in the second role I see our Assault Mechs splitting into, Command. Not a slow Siege Engine like the Stalker or the Awesome but a Fast Leader whose job is to direct battlefield operations. Chief asset of regiments or higher the SLDF began using the Cyclops in 2710 as a headquarters unit. Production only lasted sixty-four years until the Stormvanger factory on Caph was destroyed during the Amaris Civil War. That conflict and the Succession Wars took a heavy toll on this BattleMech reducing its capabilities and numbers. Presumably a part of every House Military and certain mercenaries like Eridani Light Horse it remains an infrequent site in 3053. Efforts to rebuild following the Clan Invasion may jump start ComStar, the Federated Commonwealth, or even the Draconis Combine to put the Mech back into production somewhere. Thankfully we have the CBT Mech of the Week article and sarna’s wiki page on the subject for inspiration. Looking forward to seeing what you guys can come up with as the most optimal Cyclops for the Salient Horizon universe.

’Mech of the Week: Cyclops
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-articles/'mech-of-the-week-cyclops/

Cyclops – BattleTechWiki
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cyclops

Design Criteria
Design: Cyclops Assault BattleMech
Era: 3052, just following the Truce of Tukayyid
Tech: InnerSphere Level 2
Mass: 90 tons

Tech Base
The tech base for this enterprise will be InnerSphere Level 2, also known as Star League lostech, circa 3053. Remember some Level 1 standards which Bradshaw and myself think still have value like Large Lasers and PPCs which feature the same damage factor as their higher tech brethren with less range and perhaps most significantly less heat. Here is a list for your design reference. Let me know if there is anything I missed!

Star League LosTech
Anti-Missile System
Arrow IV Artillery Missile System
Extended Range Large Laser (ER Large Laser)
Extended Range Particle Projection Cannon (ER PPC)
Gauss Rifle
Ultra Autocannon/5
LB 10-X Autocannon
One-Shot Missile Packs
Pulse Lasers (Small, Medium, & Large)
Streak SRM-2
Swarm LRMs
Thunder LRMs
Artemis IV FCS
Beagle Active Probe
Guardian ECM Suite
Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry (MASC)
Narc Missile Beacon
TAG
Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment (CASE)
Double Heat Sinks
Endo Steel Internal Structure
Ferro-Fibrous Armor
Extra Light (XL) Engine

InnerSphere Low Tech
Blazer Cannon (or Binary Laser)
Recon Camera
Remote Sensor Dispenser

New Innovations
Triple Strength Myomer
Hatchet
C3 Computer

Design Traits of this Setting
Both the Federated Commonwealth and ComStar seem to have gone in the other direction with LRM batteries preferring larger LRM-15s and 20s linked to Artemis IV FCS to enhance accuracy. Facing the technologically superior Clan invaders have caused them to spend vast sums of resources on the finest technology available usually translating into high priced BattleMechs that few other factions can afford.
This is somewhat true for the Draconis Combine which has lost a significant portion of their industrial capacity to the Clans. This has been forced Kurita designers to innovate in new and different ways regardless of traditional warrior ethos which pervades the realm. Many Draconis optimizations have included the C3 System which is accelerated from the canon setting which saw their deployment lag.
The Free Worlds League in particular have embraced massed LRM-5s over the larger batteries to provide closer mass equivalents to Clan LRMs. Thanks to a corresponding increase in NARC units these ‘fire teams’ have become quite effective in the Marik Civil War. Also, the Blazer has made an appearance in the shattered FWLM searching for an advantage over their former brethren.
The Capellan Confederation typically fields cost effective designs at this time thanks to their resource strapped situation. While justifications for high end increases can be made like the Outreach Conference, Wrath of Blake technical aid, spoils of war from Isis forces, and good old Capellan espionage these should be minimized. My advice would be Periphery plus for these designs as the Confederation is under strain supporting Isis right now as it is. Growing stealth tech reflected in the Raven would be appropriate in many cases as sophisticated electronic lostech devices like the Guardian ECM Suite would be a priority for their recon designs. There is also a fire support role which is a hallmark of Liao tactical doctrine. The discovery of Thunder LRMs to deploy minefields and use of Arrow IV Artillery on the Catapult are themes which could be amplified here.
Regional factions like the Draconis March and the Periphery have seen the introduction of some ‘simple’ lostech items like Double Heat Sinks, Ferro-Fibrous, Streak SRM-2s, and Pulse Lasers. Extra-Light (XL) Engines remain too expensive and have drawbacks which make their deployment unlikely here. Advanced orbital facilities needed for EndoSteel manufacturing also remain out of reach at this point. They are not beyond using PPCs and Large Lasers either which they view as more efficient than their ER successors.

Please do your research (think Objective Raids) for available components as this will be another factor in rapid production. I love fluff and your winning designs will be featured in my BattleTech Salient Horizon alternate setting. I'd like to go beyond the refits bought to you by Technical Readout 3050 and delve into extensive redesigns of your BattleTech favorites. Sharpen up your favorite war machines perhaps drawing on past or current variants while remembering the spirit or role of these Mechs. Don't forget to justify the expense of your project and multiple winners are possible. Figure that all entries have to be completed and posted on these forums by Friday November 19th 2021 by 11:59 PM which should give you all a full two weeks for this contest, good luck!!

Bradshaw

• General
  • Expect it most when you expect it least
Re: Optimizing the Cyclops
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »

An upgrade of a Top Secret design commissioned by the SLDF in 2752, the 11-HQ variant was produced in limited numbers as insurance for SLDF Brigades to be able to stay in contact with central command. The technology was so vital that each individual 'Mech was outfitted with one ton of explosives that were to be used in case of capture and to ensure that the expensive HPG equipment would be unsalvageable in case of capture. With the majority that survived the Usurper being taken with the SLDF only a handful were left behind for Comstar to get their hands on it.

Being under utilized for years the design was finally put back into action in 2968 when 4 out of the 5 designs were assigned to the newly founded Explorer Corps. Utilized as insurance and parts of relay actions on extended forays into the deep periphery. It took nearly another 80 years for Comstar to rebuild the SLDI facility that was used to refit the Cyclops frame to the 11-HQ variant. With the costs involved in the transition only a few handful of the variant are expected to be outfitted and utilized to hopefully trace the route of the Clans to their home worlds.

With the costs involved with the design, the SLDF and subsequently ComStar design is bolstered over the traditional frame with an additional two tons of armor with the standard armor type upgraded to the sturdier Ferro Fibrous type. With the sensitive and costly communications packages on the design ammo explosions was the last thing the designers wanted potentially causing damage to the 'Mech so an entirely energy based weapons system was utilized centered on weaponry produced by the nearby Krupp Stellar Technologies also on Mars. To optimize safety for the 'Mech it was outfitted with the best in ECM and active sensor technology.

Cyclops CP-11-HQ

Introduction Year: 3050
Cost: 7,610,047,960 C-bills
Battle Value: 1,596

Code: [Select]

Chassis: Stormvanger HV-7
Power Plant: Hermes 360
Cruising Speed: 43.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 64.8 kph

Armor: Leopard V Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
     1 Blankenburg ER PPC
     4 Krupp Model 2 Medium Laser
Manufacturer: Star League Defense Industries
     Primary Factory: Mars (Destroyed 2767, Rebuilt 3042)
Communication System: Olmstead 840 w/ ECM
Targeting & Tracking System: Tacticon Tracer 280 w/ Active Probe

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    9
Engine                        360 Fusion             33
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Double Heat Sink              12 [24]                 2
Gyro                                                  4
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Ferro)          215                    12

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         9     
     Center Torso            29        33   
     Center Torso (rear)               11   
     R/L Torso               19        24   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  7     
     R/L Arm                 15        22   
     R/L Leg                 19        28   

Weapons                      Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
ER PPC                            LT        3        15      7.0   
2 Medium Lasers                   LA        2        3       2.0   
2 Medium Lasers                   RA        2        3       2.0   
Mobile Hyperpulse Generators      RT        12       -       12.0 
Active Probe                      LT        2        -       1.5   
ECM Suite                         LT        2        -       1.5   
Cargo                             H         1        -       1   

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:32:51 AM by Bradshaw »
NEVER trust a man who scratches his chin

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »

The most expensive 'Mech you will probably ever see. Will fluff this Comstar variant out tomorrow.

Someone has too much money for its own good.  ;)

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »

LOL, I believe that is the first HPG on a BattleMech I've seen at least for these contests. I do have to confess that you have hit on one of my for concepts without that though.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 08:15:48 PM »

CP-11-Z Cyclops

The upgraded refit of the Cyclops by Irian BattleMechs Unlimited sets the standard of what most MechWarriors expect.  Eleven double-strength heat sinks replace the fifteen standard units of the CP-10-Z, while the Starshield Special armor plating has been replaced with Starshield Special Ferro-Fibrous--15.5 tons.

The massive Class 20 Autocannon has been removed and replaced with a Magna Hellstar PPC, reducing overall damage, but doubling engagement range.  Two Delta Dart LRM-5 launchers (each with a ton of ammunition for 24 twin salvos) replace the single LRM-10 of the older 'Mech.  A Harpoon-6 SRM-6 launcher replaces the older SRM-4 as well.  Both of the Diverse Optics Type 20 Medium Lasers were retained and TAG was added to the head.

With the four remaining tons, the design team at Irian installed four tons of Communications Equipment, allowing the Officer assigned to a Cyclops to direct his forces more efficiently and uplink to friendly or neutral (or possibly even hostile) satelittes in orbit.

Cyclops CP-11-Z

Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-D-A
Production Year: 3070
Dry Cost: 9,588,160 C-Bills
Total Cost: 9,675,160 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,723

Chassis: Stormvanger HV-7 Standard
Power Plant: Hermes 360 360 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Starshield Special Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
    1 Magna Hellstar PPC
    1  SRM-6
    2 Diverse Optics Type 20 Medium Lasers
    2 Delta Dart LRM-5s
    1  Communications Equipment (1.0 tons) (4.0 tons)
    1  TAG
Manufacturer: Irian BattleMechs Unlimited (Refit Only)
    Primary Factory: Irian, Shiro III
Communications System: Omstead 840
Targeting and Tracking System: Tacticon Tracer 280

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                     138 points                9.00
Engine:             Fusion Engine                360                      33.00
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             11(22)                    1.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 277                 15.50
    Armor Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 3 LA, 3 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
    CASE Locations: 1 LT                                                   0.50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     29           44       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  14       
                                           L/R Torso     19           29       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  9         
                                             L/R Arm     15           29       
                                             L/R Leg     19           38       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium Laser                                 RA        3         1         1.00
Medium Laser                                 LA        3         1         1.00
PPC                                          RT        10        3         7.00
Communications Equipment (1.0 tons) (4.0 tons) RT        0         4         4.00
2 LRM-5s                                     LT        4         2         4.00
SRM-6                                        CT        4         2         3.00
TAG                                          HD        0         1         1.00
@LRM-5 (48)                                  LT        -         2         2.00
@SRM-6 (15)                                  LT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 15

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      9    Points: 17
4          3       4       2       0      4     0   Structure:  7
Special Abilities: TAG, CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 1

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 09:59:33 PM »

Nice masterarminas!

I have to look up Communications Gear again for this challenge.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »

Nice masterarminas!

I have to look up Communications Gear again for this challenge.

Mounting 3-6 tons (1 crit per ton) gives your unit a +1 bonus on initiative rolls.  Mounting 7-15 tons (!!) gives a +2.  Mounting 4+ tons lets you communicate with and get information from sats in orbit.  There are other benefits as well, but read the page on Communications Equipment on Sarna.

fabulousorcboy

• Fanjunkare
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 10:58:37 PM »

Dang, my proposals by comparison are going to be downright mundane.  Bravo, Bradshaw -- that Cyclops concept with HPG is absolutely amazing.

Also love the inclusion of Comms Gear, but as I recall, a Command Console (3 tons) is a better deal space and tonnage wise for the Initiative bonus and satellite uplink than 4 tons of comms gear (though the comms gear might be cheaper in C-Bills and not needing a second expensive-to-train-and-replace Mechwarrior).  Might as well go seven for the full bonus -- and I think you get 1 ton "free" on a 'Mech, so I think that's just six tons you need for the seven ton bonus.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 11:01:03 PM by fabulousorcboy »

Bradshaw

• General
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 09:36:38 AM »

Dang, my proposals by comparison are going to be downright mundane.  Bravo, Bradshaw -- that Cyclops concept with HPG is absolutely amazing.

Thanks I actually had this designed months ago when I was perusing newer/older technologies that I could try and utilize for the contests thought this was the optimal frame for it.

So I fluffed it out, if someone else who is better with fluff wants to take what I've done and improve upon it feel free as a cooperative design.

Bradshaw

• General
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »

A refit of the Cyclops by the Draconis Combine that tried to imitate the success of the Banshee 3S by the Lyran Commonwealth. Utilizing those Cyclops that had their Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer damaged this refit was designed to turn the command 'Mech into a true assault 'Mech design.

Will finish fluff later.

Cyclops CP-10-K

Introduction Year: 3051
Cost: 12,194,580 C-bills
Battle Value: 1,953

Chassis: Stormvanger HV-7
Power Plant: Hermes 270
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph

Armor: New Samarkand Royal Ferro Fibrous w/CASE
Armament:
     1 Imperator Dragon's Fire Gauss Rifle
     1 Arowana Binary Laser (Blazer) Cannon
     1 Bical-6 SRM 6
     1 Sunglow Large Laser
     1 Tanadi Coordinator C3 Computer [Master]
Manufacturer: Luthien Armor Works
     Primary Factory: Luthien (Refit)
Communication System: Olmstead 840
Targeting & Tracking System: Tacticon Tracer 280

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    9
Engine                        270 Fusion           14.5
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Double Heat Sink              13 [26]                 3
Gyro                                                  3
Command Console                                       6
Armor Factor (Ferro)          250                    14

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         9     
     Center Torso            29        39   
     Center Torso (rear)               12   
     R/L Torso               19        28   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  8     
     R/L Arm                 15        26   
     R/L Leg                 19        33   

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons                Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Gauss Rifle                RT        7        1       15.0 
Binary Laser Cannon        RA        4        16      9.0   
Large Laser                LA        2        8       5.0   
SRM 6                      CT        2        4       3.0   
C3 Computer                LT        5        0       5.0   
Gauss Rifle Ammo (16)      RT        2        -       2.0   
SRM 6 Ammo (15)            RT        1        -       1.0   
CASE                       RT        1        -       0.5   
2 Double Heat Sinks        LA        6        -       2.0   
Double Heat Sink           LT        3        -       1.0   

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 04:39:15 PM »

Nice Bradshaw!

I'll throw out my thoughts on a ComStar Cyclops soon.

fabulousorcboy

• Fanjunkare
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 10:00:19 PM »

This design assumes a five year jump-start on when Grumium Creations is turned into a full-on Mech manufacturer by ComStar.  Since in this universe, the Word of Blake (probably) won’t be taking over Terra, the stimulus is probably ComStar’s desire to provide Rasalhague with greater ability to manufacture ‘Mechs and combat machines, and not have to rely solely on Terra’s production capability in order to rebuild both the ComGuard and Kungsarme.

Type: CP-11-E Series Cyclops
Production: Free Rasalhague Republic/ComGuard (Grumium Creations, Grumium)
CV/Price: 11-EC Command variant: 2135 BV – 12,621,700 C-Bills (160k ammo)
   11-E2 AC/2 variant: 1783 BV – 11,140,460 C-Bills (153k ammo)
   11-E5 UAC/5 variant: 1923 BV – 10,902,960 C-Bills (177k ammo)
   11-E10 LB10-X variant: 1987 BV – 12,483,760 C-Bills (60k ammo)

Internal Struc (Endo): 4.5t
Engine: PlasmaStar 270: 14.5t
  Walking: 3
  Running: 5
Heat Sinks: 10(20): 0t
Gyro/Cockpit (std): 6t
Armor Factor (std): 17t (272 pips)

Head 3/9 (7 front, 10 sides/back)
Center Torso 29/45/12
R/L Torso 19/30/8
R/L Front Leg 15/30
R/L Rear Leg 19/35

Quirks: Battle Computer, Cowl, Difficult Ejection, Weak Head Armor (2)

WEAPONS INVENTORY (11-EC – Command variant)
1x Gauss Rifle (7cr/15t) RT
2x Ammo (Gauss) 16 (2cr/2t) RT
2x CASE (2cr/1t) RT/LT
1x Command Console (1cr/3t) H
1x Guardian ECM (2cr/1.5t) CT
1x C3 Master (5cr/5t) LT
2x LRM-15 (6cr/14t) LT/LA
4x Ammo (LRM) 32 (4cr/4t) LT
2x Medium Lasers (2cr/2t) RA/LA
+0.5t   Standard Armor (0cr/0.5t) +3 each Leg, +1 CT

WEAPONS INVENTORY (11-E2 – AC/2 variant)
3x AC-2 (3cr/18t) RT
3x Ammo (AC) 225 (3cr/3t) RT
1x C3 Master (5cr/5t) RT
2x CASE (2cr/1t) RT/LT
5x Ammo (LRM) 40 (5cr/5t) LT

WEAPONS INVENTORY (11-E5 – UAC/5 variant)
2x Ultra AC-5 (10cr/18t) RA/RT
3x Ammo (UAC) 60 (3cr/3t) RT
2x CASE (2cr/1t) RT/LT
1x C3 Master (5cr/5t) LT
5x Ammo (LRM) 40 (5cr/5t) LT

WEAPONS INVENTORY (11-E10 – LB10-X variant)
2x LB10-X (12cr/22t) RT/LT
3x Ammo (LBX) 30 (3cr/3t) RT
1x CASE (1cr/0.5t) RT
1x Guardian ECM (2cr/1.5t) CT
1x C3 Master (5cr/5t) LT
2x PPCs (6cr/14t) RA/LA
2x Double Heat Sinks (6cr/2t) RA/LA

A legendary command ‘Mech first put into production by Stormvanger Assemblies at the height of the Star League, the Cyclops CP 10-Z featured a sophisticated holographic Tacticon B-2000 battle computer with planet-wide communications capability.  Able to coordinate an entire Battlemech regiment in battlefield conditions, the Olmstead 840 tightbeam comms system also included a SatNav module that allowed it to communicate with (and quickly hack and control orbital satellite systems.  It quickly became the standard headquarters unit for SLDF field commanders as a result, which compensated for its rather anemic armament and notoriously weak head armor.  The high value of the machine was demonstrated when Stormvanger was targeted during the Amaris Coup, and without replacement units being produced, the Cyclops became a high-value target, and its overall numbers dwindled throughout the Succession Wars.

The rediscovery of the Grey Death Memory Core led a number of firms to attempt to restart production of the Cyclops, and particularly of its B-2000 battle computer, but it was Grumium Creations, a small Rasalhague armaments firm, that surprised everyone when they unveiled new production Cyclops models in late 3053, directly resupplying the shattered Kungsarme, but also a sizable quantity of new Cyclops models – with fully functional B-2000 battle computers – into the ComGuard, who is widely assumed to have provided the necessary technical expertise and design blueprints in order to jump-start new ‘Mech manufacturing on Grumium.

One clue as to Comstar’s involvement in the new ‘Mech is the use of PlasmaStar 270 fusion engines, an unusual fusion engine brand that is primarily used in Aerospace Fighters, such as the Tomahawk or Ahab (both produce in the Terra system under Comstar’s watchful eye).  Although this drops the top speed of the Cyclops to a stately 53kph, it still has sufficient strategic mobility to be useful on campaign – and it provides sufficient extra tonnage to up-gun the ‘Mech, and make it a credible battlefield combatant at the battalion and even company level.  Grumium’s new Cyclops (dubbed their “11-E series”) also redesigned the chassis with Stormvanger HV-7ES Endo Steel – a feat that typically requires several years of prototyping and infrastructure development, further suggesting that Comstar simply took the result of years of covert R&D onto Grumium’s factory floor.

Grumium also slathered another seven tons of Starshield “Special” standard armor onto their Cyclops, providing over 97% of the maximum effective armor onto their command ‘Mech, and tied both the B-2000 battle computer, and the Olmstead 840 tightbeam comms (with SatNav module) and Tactigon Tracer 280 targeting system, into a C3 Master Command Unit installed in the torso of their CP-11-E, truly providing top-tier command capability at the tactical as well as strategic level.  Several of the CP-11-E-series also carry Guardian ECM suites, clearly intended to be used as counter-ECM nodes, to keep their C3 networks active.

Although a new ‘Mech manufacturer, Grumium is producing Cyclops ‘Mechs at a ridiculous clip – not only dozens of new ‘Mechs, but at least a half-dozen different varieties, all being distributed to a variety of different commands, with a variety of different tactical and strategic roles.  By far the most common variant is their CP-11-EC command Cyclops, which not only includes an ECM, but also fits a Command Console behind the primary cockpit, allowing a commander to focus on battlefield command (and even, in conjunction with the B-2000, operating at both the small-unit level as well as maintaining a simultaneous satellite link and maintaining a regimental-wide or planetary-wide comms umbrella).  The primary pilot, meanwhile, has access to an M-7 Gauss Rifle (most commonly found on ComGuard Ospreys) with two tons of ammunition, and a pair of Holly-15 LRM-15 launchers with four tons of ammunition, all with integrated CASE protection, both with exceptional range.  Two arm-mounted Starflash Medium Lasers (another brand with clear Terran ties) provide some back-up firepower at close ranges.

Three other minor variants are also based on this Endo Steel chassis, although none carry the Command Console of the 11-EC.  The 11-E2 is intended to act as extreme-range fire support, with a trio of Armstrong AC/2 supplied with a truly generous three-ton ammunition bin, opposite twin Holly-15 LRM-15 launchers with five tons of ammunition, all with integrated CASE protection. Capable of carrying a mix of specialty ammunition types, the 11-E2 often carries flak ammunition, making it lethal against VTOLs and light aerospace fighters, particularly when it can take advantage of superior targeting solutions provided by its C3 network.  Two arm-mounted Starflash Medium Lasers provide close-range firepower.

The 11-E5, on the other hand, is fitted with a pair of Armstrong Spitfire Ultra AC/5s, again paired with twin Holly-15 LRM-15 launchers with five tons of ammunition, all with integrated CASE protection.   Although at risk of jamming if used excessively, the Ultra AC/5s can have real spikes in damage potential, and when matched with the 30 tubes of long-range missiles, the 11-E5 can scrub armor off of units very effectively, even if it lacks the knock-out punch of an AC/20 or Gauss Rifle.  Again,  two arm-mounted Starflash Medium Lasers provide close-range firepower.

Finally, the 11-E10 is the largest departure from the others, with a pair Mydron Excel LB-10X autocannons, one in each torso, and three tons of case-protected ammunition.  Instead of missiles or medium lasers, however, the 11-E10 is a mid-ranged fire support unit intended to capable of brawling, and packs two Hellstar PPCs as arm-mounted energy weapons, with two additional double heat sinks to help manage the additional heat from this variant.  As this Cyclops is expected to approach to middle ranges, it includes a Guardian ECM suite, again clearly intended as a counter-ECM system to protect the C3 network.

Grumium produces two other, rarer, variants of their new Cyclops (described below), but as neither of these machines uses an Endosteel frame, this clearly implies that they have the ability to produce both standard AND Endosteel chassis for their new (recovered, lostech) ‘Mech, hinting at the impressive levels of investment being lavished on a formerly quite modest weapons parts company.  The Combine and Commonwealth have already made inquires to see if Grumium’s 11-E series is available for purchase, and there are suggestions that Grumium is open to this possibility (implying that Comstar is also open to the possibility) – and the potential delivery dates suggest that Grumium is either being unrealistically optimistic about their production ceiling… or that they really do have the capability to expand production even further.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:02:30 PM by fabulousorcboy »

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 10:46:36 AM »

Nice fabulousorcboy!

Hominid Mk II

• Sergeant
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 02:07:01 AM »

This is a by-the-numbers upgrade I came up with over a decade ago in real-world time. In my AU (with no FedCom Civil War and with the Second Star League gearing up to expel most of the Invading Clans from the Inner Sphere by the end of the 3060s), Victor and Theodore pushed for increased funding for the revived SLDF and the commissioning of new variants of designs that were seen as cornerstones of the original SLDF centuries before. There's nothing particularly inspired about most of them, including this one, but it's rather more potent than the original. (Not that that's really saying much, considering how lackluster the original was.) Everything about it could theoretically have been done as early as 3053 except for the Streak SRM-6, and that only had about another five years to go before entering full production. Sorry it's so unimaginative, but it was deliberately meant to be - it was pretty much literally designed by committee!

- - - - - -

BattleMech Technical Readout

CP-12-Z-SLDF Cyclops

Chassis: Stormvanger HV-8 Endo Steel
Power Plant: Hermes 360 XL
Cruising Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
   Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: GC Slab with CASE
Armament:
   1 Dragon's Fire Gauss Rifle
   1 Shigunga LRM-20
   1 Artemis IV FCS
   1 Guided Technologies 2nd Gen Streak SRM-6
   2 Victory Heartbeat Medium Pulse Lasers
Manufacturer: Grumium Creations
   Primary Factory: Grumium (FRR)
Communications System: GC Wave 12B
Targeting & Tracking System: GC MultiTrac System Type 6 with Artemis IV FCS

Type: CP-12-Z-SLDF Cyclops
Technology Base: Inner Sphere Level 2 3070
Tonnage: 90

Equipment                                                Mass
Internal Structure: ES                                    4.5
Engine:               360 XL                             16.5
   Walking MP:          4
   Running MP:          6
   Jumping MP:          0
Heat Sinks:            12 [24]                            2
Gyro:                                                     4
Cockpit:                                                  3
Armor Factor:         280                                17.5
                        Internal           Armor
                        Structure          Value
   Head:                     3                9
   Center Torso:            29               44
   Center Torso (Rear):                      14
   R/L Torso:               19               29
   R/L Torso (Rear):                          9
   R/L Arm:                 15               30
   R/L Leg:                 19               38

BV 1: 1,806   Cost: 23,235,860 C-Bills

Weapons and Ammo          Location   Critical   Heat     Mass
Ammo (Gauss) 24               RA         3        0       3.0
Medium Pulse Laser            RA         1        4       2.0
Ammo (LRM) 18                 LA         3        0       3.0
Medium Pulse Laser            LA         1        4       2.0
Gauss Rifle                   RT         7        1      15.0
CASE                          RT         1        0       0.5
LRM-20                        LT         5        6      10.0
Artemis IV FCS                LT         1        0       1.0
Ammo (Streak) 15              LT         1        0       1.0
CASE                          LT         1        0       0.5
Streak SRM-6                  CT         2        4       4.5

ACTUATORS RA RH LA LH
ES RA4 LA4 RT1 LT1 RL2 LL2
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/parallel-universes/victor-victorious-redux

- - - - - -

[R]ebellion is the foulest of all crimes; and what [is] to begin in wickedness must end in ruin.

--Lieutenant James Moody

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »

Not bad Hominid Mk II! The only thing is the Streak SRM-6 is not yet available to the InnerSphere at this time. Unfortunately that makes you ineligible for this contest but not to worry there is time to change it if you like. You can simply replace it with Streak SRM-2s. Plus I love fluff so if there is a story behind your design and how it fits into the Salient Horizon universe that is a must too. Please let me know if you need any assistance or advise.

As I promised Bradshaw a few days ago here are my thoughts on a ComStar Cyclops

ComStar Cyclops Thoughts

Chassis. This is the real hard part to change with the Cyclops is its skeletal structure thanks to the destruction of Stormvanger on Caph almost two hundred and eighty years ago. I wouldn’t be opposed to a new manufacturer taking over and going with EndoSteel but the logistics could be difficult. In my opinion such refits are more difficult than the Power Plant but such a heavy refurbishment could indeed be carried out.

Engine. Well, there are three choices for Power Plants for the Cyclops in my opinion. Sticking with the Hermes 360 provides you with the fastest possible speed for a ninety tonner which could be valuable to a Command ‘Mech. With this in mind I originally had planned to go with the Hermes 360 XL from the Lancelot which would be available to ComStar at this time and free up valuable tonnage. There isn’t a lot of easy weight to get back for upgrades other than fooling with the Engine and so despite the cost jump combined with the increased vulnerability I was going to go in this direct. However, as fabulousorcboy pointed out going down to a standard 270 Fusion Engine doesn’t reduce your movement too much and frees up a bunch of weight. There are more possibilities here than the chassis which is good.

HPG. Certainly, an interesting idea that is so very ComStar especially following Tukayyid. Prioritizing the restoration/augmentation of the ComGuards that still face off against the Clan Invaders across the Truce line is a certainty. Such an ultra-high-tech project would showcase the strength of the Reformed Order in spite of hyper advanced Clan technology. But what exactly are its practical uses. Obviously strategic communications would be a huge benefit and dictate that these BattleMechs would go to Army Commanders (12), Division Commanders (50), ROM Special Operators (?), and Explorer Corps units (?). The extreme price might curtail production severely however and as such would such a design be worth it? There is another intriguing possibility though - weaponizing this HPG like what was proposed in Null Set (FASA1672) could definitely be a worthwhile, albeit controversial, research investment.

Name. As I was thinking of ‘Cyclopic’ individuals today for a possible new model name inspiration hit. Why not call it the Focht? Having a new command Mech named in honor of the Precentor Martial, the Victor of Tukayyid, and the Guarantor of the Truce would be fitting for ComStar. Would he allow this rebranding of the Cyclops? Possibly not but I could see something akin to a ‘F’ designator in the model number at least.

Blakist SitRep. The Salient Horizon setting has seen some rapidly changing events especially with our favorite fanatics the Word of Blake. Their break from ComStar has not been unopposed like it has in canon resulting in more of an armed conflict which has spilled into the Free Worlds League. The Wrath of the Master has certainly been felt in the 3rd Marik Civil War as Blakist zealots have backed his true heirs, Isis and Sun Tzu. This conflict too could have effects on the HPG network and what better than having Mechs equipped with such devices to fill any voids at least temporarily. Alternatively, if a HPG belongs to another side you’d want to get your messages out perhaps providing a voice of freedom to the oppressed.

Manufacturing Sites. There are a few possibilities here including the Free Rasalhague Republic or the ComGuard Protectorate. However, massive investment only got started there after the Word of Blake seized Terra in 3057 which hasn’t happened here yet. Currently we are in late 3053 and the Terran Corridor is already seeing a massive boost from the Martial Accords. This anti-Clan alliance has opened Terra, begun investment in a FedCom capital on New Earth, and also includes the Dragon’s Dieron which lies far from the Clan front. Restoring Caph may be a bit much but perhaps Terra itself could host the site of Cyclops development with its high tech base and ample industrial base now being fed by the allied effort.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up