OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texlos: Aerospace Combat After Action Discussion  (Read 13384 times)

Thunder

• Menig
Re: Texlos: Aerospace Combat After Action Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »

Whats wrong with space battles in megamek?  They seem to work ok,  Just lacking in a few minor/highly important things like AMS and screens.

Running into theoretical catgirl killing battletech vs how the game actually works.  For me the main advantage of high thrust designs is the ability to intercept incoming aerospace fighters away from your own carriers. This incidentally is hard to portray in a game of limited map size.

klinktastic

• Piotrowski's Predators
  • Kapten
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »

Whats wrong with space battles in megamek?  They seem to work ok,  Just lacking in a few minor/highly important things like AMS and screens.

Running into theoretical catgirl killing battletech vs how the game actually works.  For me the main advantage of high thrust designs is the ability to intercept incoming aerospace fighters away from your own carriers. This incidentally is hard to portray in a game of limited map size.

I'll admit, I have more experience in ASF use on the ground than in actual space.  But that Aerotech game was way more fun, dynamic than when I tried to play on MegaMek.  Idk, maybe because after having so much fun, in juxtaposition it just lackluster and that's why I've not tried it again.  I agree, they're useful for intercepting enemy ASFs away from your carriers, but it shouldn't just be just light interceptors out there.  They need to work hand in hand with your other fighters, using their speed to pick off stragglers or ones that break through the main combat.  But yes, if you're on a small map, it doesn't really matter, you're not fair enough away to actual intercept anything.
Piotrowski's Predators - Reinforced Mixed Company

Providing swift death to your enemies since 3066

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »

That's one of the reasons why I asked how many maps you were using. It can be hard to stagger your assets when there's little point in doing so.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

MadCapellan

• Warlock Fusiliers
  • Kapten
  • Louise & Saito: Love Forever!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

Whats wrong with space battles in megamek? 

They're like everything else in MegaMek - they're full of buggy mechanics, unfathomable die-roll streaks, and completely lacking in the charm of face to face gaming, of course!   :)

Thunder

• Menig
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 11:31:41 PM »

which is better then the charm of never playing at all.  Besides  I'll take MM's RNG for the ability to use otherwise unmanageably large forces.  And keeping track of bunches of advanced rules, such as ECM.  biggest thing I wish it had was floating maps allowing for a serious running battle.

Shengli Sheng

• SLAAP
  • Hexare Grenadier
  • Sergeant
  • All dressed up for New Syrtis
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 12:28:04 AM »

which is better then the charm of never playing at all.  Besides  I'll take MM's RNG for the ability to use otherwise unmanageably large forces.  And keeping track of bunches of advanced rules, such as ECM.  biggest thing I wish it had was floating maps allowing for a serious running battle.
Well, if you'd like to see a little bit of the previous charm, either introduce new players to BattleTech like we do, or go move somewhere where there are BattleTech players! 8)

So, how do you enjoy those MegaMek regulars who enjoy munching out with custom Clan OmniMech configurations and not discussing faction flavor at all?  And how do you enjoy the game balance-skewing that BV loves to do all the time?

Thunder

• Menig
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 02:48:42 AM »

Doesn't bother me at all.  It is the meta game.  Nothing is munchy to me anymore.  Whatever they throw at me, I can counter.  BV is another thing I don't worry about. I'm perfectly happy playing asymmetric scenarios.

Faction flavor?  I'm a designer, given that anything I create is extraordinarily unlikely to fit into the back story (Save for historic designs), I don't pay much attention to it.  Besides the universe is too forced towards game balance, breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.  In addition, I don't really care for any of the factions, The vast majority are lead by leaders blinded by greed of one form or another.  The rest are too pathetic to be allowed to live.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 05:22:56 AM »

But then that is the beauty of BT, compared to some other systems like WH40K, BT caters to all types and all flavours, no strings attached.  Thats why we all play the game, we carve out our niche and have heaps of fun.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »

But then that is the beauty of BT, compared to some other systems like WH40K, BT caters to all types and all flavours, no strings attached.  Thats why we all play the game, we carve out our niche and have heaps of fun.

+1

Seyla!
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up