OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vestallas: Defend the Depot After Action Discussion  (Read 10809 times)

klinktastic

• Piotrowski's Predators
  • Kapten
Vestallas: Defend the Depot After Action Discussion
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »

Feel free to post comments, questions, or start a discussion.
Piotrowski's Predators - Reinforced Mixed Company

Providing swift death to your enemies since 3066

klinktastic

• Piotrowski's Predators
  • Kapten
Re: Vestallas: Defend the Depot After Action Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »

Since I missed this mission, does one of the other players want to start a discussion on this mission?  Maybe provide some details as to why the Hexare Grenadiers performed poorly.

Shengli Sheng

• SLAAP
  • Hexare Grenadier
  • Sergeant
  • All dressed up for New Syrtis
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »

We braced ourselves thinking we'd be fighting a battalion of 'Mechs.  We got a bunch of parachuting dudes with bombs.  Simple as that.  I blame poor pre-mission intelligence, and my poor understanding of the effects of Artillery damage on various units.

What I find suspicious is that nobody -else- knew the best way to deal with the situation and complete the mission, since William was playing OpFor.  I find it a little unfair that we didn't know the rules as well as he did.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:33:42 AM by Shengli Sheng »

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »

How did you counter that problem in successive missions?
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

klinktastic

• Piotrowski's Predators
  • Kapten
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »

How did you counter that problem in successive missions?

I sold off an Orion ON1-M and bought a Catapult CPLT-C6 w/ two plasmas to help clean up infantry.  I added 2 Firestarter Omnis to my TOE as well, so be fit for mission specific stuff, but come standard with flamers.  Additionally, I created my own line of IS Standard BA suits, by hardwiring Light TAGs so that they can pod mount weapons and still come equipped with TAGs.  This is good for calling in artillery, semi-g LRMs, or laser guided bombs from ASF strikes while at the same time packing flamers, MGs or light recoiless rifles.  Finally, I added two Schiltron Omnis that are fitted with 2 Sniper Artillery pieces (C3 Master stripped out to create room for the ammo). 

MadCapellan

• Warlock Fusiliers
  • Kapten
  • Louise & Saito: Love Forever!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »

What I find suspicious is that nobody -else- knew the best way to deal with the situation and complete the mission, since William was playing OpFor.  I find it a little unfair that we didn't know the rules as well as he did.

Honestly, the force I used was well under-equipped on purpose because of that.  If you guys had known how to handle such a force, you would have mopped the floor with such a small attack force.  Sometimes, opponent's come at you from surprising angles!  That's just how warfare works.  I'd have needed a lot more troops if this was something you were used to.

Shengli Sheng

• SLAAP
  • Hexare Grenadier
  • Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »

You could have just told us we couldn't handle it instead of humiliating us.  I'm not -that- into the game to want to experience weakness that way.

klinktastic

• Piotrowski's Predators
  • Kapten
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »

Sucks that I missed out on it.  But its always better to take a minor loss and learn a lesson than get your ass kicked with the stakes are much higher.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »

I saw the BA posted on S7.

Sucks that I missed out on it.  But its always better to take a minor loss and learn a lesson than get your ass kicked with the stakes are much higher.

But you're totally right here.
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

MadCapellan

• Warlock Fusiliers
  • Kapten
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »

Exactly.  It was a minor loss, and hopefully, you learned from it.  You can't let losing in a board game effect you personally.  The possibility that you'd rise to the occasion was there.  I had hoped to have Eric run that OpFor, but he wasn't available.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:34:57 AM by MadCapellan »

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »

You could have just told us we couldn't handle it instead of humiliating us.  I'm not -that- into the game to want to experience weakness that way.

Isn't that part of the fun? Running into the unexpected and either overcoming the problem or learning from it? After all, it is a war game.

Shengli Sheng

• SLAAP
  • Hexare Grenadier
  • Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »

Not to me.  I prefer a mission that plays out just as planned, as efficiently as possible, with as few wasted resources and as few unexpected expenditures as possible.

Yes, that's right.  I HATE FUN.  I ONLY WANT TO WIN.  FUN IS FOR CASUALS.

MadCapellan

• Warlock Fusiliers
  • Kapten
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »

Not to me.  I prefer a mission that plays out just as planned, as efficiently as possible, with as few wasted resources and as few unexpected expenditures as possible.

Yes, that's right.  I HATE FUN.  I ONLY WANT TO WIN.  FUN IS FOR CASUALS.

That's too bad, I suppose.  Perhaps you could experiment with running your own campaign where you just set the miniatures up and then yell "bam" and remove the bad guy minis.  It's exceptionally easy and eliminates any possibility of dissapointment.  :)

In the meantime, this campaign will continue to run as it always has, throwing people the occasional curve-ball and encouraging players to think outside the box and use innovative tactics. 

Shengli Sheng

• SLAAP
  • Hexare Grenadier
  • Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »

That's too bad, I suppose.  Perhaps you could experiment with running your own campaign where you just set the miniatures up and then yell "bam" and remove the bad guy minis.  It's exceptionally easy and eliminates any possibility of dissapointment.  :)

In the meantime, this campaign will continue to run as it always has, throwing people the occasional curve-ball and encouraging players to think outside the box and use innovative tactics.

That's it, then.  I'm selling all my minis and books and maps and never playing this game ever again.  I'm totally going to feel so much better playing the games in this book when I'm done (remember this from Spencer's?).

Ken

• Bethlens' Irregulars
  • Hexare Grenadier
  • Fanjunkare
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »

We didn't communicate well in the set-up, either. Had we distributed our forces more evenly we wouldn't have had to shift our forces over, leaving us in the middle, unable to protect either base.
Pages: [1]   Go Up