OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Centurion  (Read 27561 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: Centurion
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »

Still a 3/5 thrust?

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »

Yep
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »

And couldn't the Casper Drones land inside the ship? This way, it could have 5 Drones always ready and close by.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »

And couldn't the Casper Drones land inside the ship? This way, it could have 5 Drones always ready and close by.

Caspers have a KF Core so not the best plan
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »

Praetorian: "You want me to put what, where?"

Praetorian can't accommodate a single M-3 drone internally due to volume (it may only be 4,000 tons but 89m tall and 75m wide is a bit much. A 628m long M-5 Casper (680,000 tons) is right out. That's more than half his own length and a third his mass!

He can attach M-3 drones to drop-collars but drop-collars aren't really intended to carry dropships when the jumpship is accelerating at any great pace. It's not certain to cause damage but it's outside their intended role. They could be permanently affixed using additional bracing but that rather defeats the object of the exercise.

Entry #6
Over North America, Low Earth Orbit
Terra, Terran Hegemony
19:45 27 December 2766

Shuttles crash down in the Court of the Star League. One of those crashes is all too literal. A Rifleman ‘Mech at just the wrong place and time and the shuttle hits the ground far too fast and hard. It breaks up and the core ploughs straight through a block of offices.

The Rifleman is singled out for my particular attention and a particle beam wipes it away. I can be a petty, vengeful son-of-a-bitch. No doubt General Stefannson will be pleased to learn it.

The other skids about half-way along one of the major avenues and comes to rest outside the exit to one of House Cameron’s escape tunnels. It’s like one of the pre-planned extraction operations except that the First Lord’s family aren’t waiting to run away. The men and women aboard are going to have to go into get them.

Assuming, of course, that they’re in the adjacent bunkers. It’s a logical place with limited access in and out. If Amaris knows all the secrets – and Richard might very well have told him this – then I could see him using it for his hostages. Or maybe a command centre. Getting the Fat Man wouldn’t be quite as helpful in the long run but I’d not turn my nose up at it.

It’s out of my hands. I can keep the Rimjobs from overunning the shuttle – I devote a turret to pulverising anyone trying – but down below the ground… Out of my hands. At least they all got out and the technican took his kit. I can probably still rely on the shuttle.

It’d be nice to have someone I trusted.

A pair of detonations in the sky above me pull my attention back to the battle. Nukes – not close enough to hit me but the electromagnetic pulse shut down my ‘singing’ for a moment. Perhaps that was all they wanted. I keep regaling them with Nightwish’s Planet Hell, although I’m tempted to go over to ‘A Song That Gets On Your Nerves’.

The source is the destroyers from earlier. Only two of them left, but the remaining Sovetskii Soyuz is struggling not to fall into the atmosphere. Those crates just don’t have the thrust for pushing their orbital limits.

The Exeters do. I hope they don’t have any more nukes to throw at me. The guns in their noses hurl explosive charges down at me. It would appear that they aren’t too concerned about where their shots will hit if they miss me.

Not all the shots do miss.

It hurts. I’d barely noticed before, but I’d not been hit before like this. The shells tear at my armour, fire stabbing into the systems beneath it and the damage control reports are pain.

The commanders of those ships survived for a reason. At the angle they’re using, I have to make a choice: keep providing supporting orbital support fire down upon the city… or re-orientate myself to return fire.

Fortunately for me, I’m not alone. The Caspars are at entirely different angles and I can move them to return fire, switching targets as necessary between them. But my main batteries are the most powerful. I can engage the most targets.

I can scream and howl my pain and still rain down particle beams, high explosives and railgun slugs upon the capital of human civilisation.

I didn’t start this fight. But I did choose it and if I can sent those two dozen soldiers into the fight… if I can fly as many again to their deaths… then I can stand this. I may be bleeding hydraulic fluid and molten metals but if you prick me, I surely can bleed.

The Essexes blaze away with desperation. They have only minutes before salvation arrives.

One minute. I switch tracks, announcing that they are in the Danger Zone. Two minutes.

Fighters ascend towards me and one of my M-3s drops to meet them, engaging the squadron in a fiery cataclysm. Wiped away in a matter of seconds the fighters are avenged when a previously silent laser battery spears the drone with long pulses of coherent light.

I, in turn, blot out the turret.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

My endurance is rewarded when more cannon open up.

Enterprise is trailing fire from one hanger bay, but she’s flanked by SLS Theodor Logan and SLS Kursk is covering their rear. Caught with their rears exposed the destroyers stagger under the barrage. Explosions march through the hull of one, as it comes apart. Its sister simply noses over into a graceful dive down towards Puget Sound, engines gone and escape pods erupting from the sides like one last barrage of missiles.

“General Stefannson has a great deal to say about you.” Admiral Mroczkiewicz sounds – not amused but not quite as grim as before.

“Nothing complimentary, I imagine.”

Down below, a column of heavy tanks crawls onto one of the bridges across the Duwamish. I wait until they’re most of the way across and then put a shot from one of my railguns into the end they’re heading for. The other gun in the turret takes out the opposite end. While a couple of shark-flagged tanks wind up spilling into the water the rest are left marooned on the bridge. I suppose I can take out the piers later and get rid of them but right now stopping them from getting to Fort Cameron is good enough.

“There are some chain of command issues that we need to address.”

He was very carefully not mentioning that in a fight between the Enterprise’s battlegroup and mine it wasn’t at all clear who would win.

“Like the fact I’m running rough-shod over yours?” I spot movement near the shuttle and mis-shapen figures are moving towards it from the same hatch that the strike force. It takes me a moment to realise that the distortion is because two of them are carrying children and the other two are pre-teens. “Hold that thought, Admiral. We may have our first evacuees on their way up.”

At the shuttle someone slams their fist against the hatch. “Praetorian, let us in!”

The camera there matches face and voice to one of the strike team: Colonel Edith Keeler. More importantly, the tear-stained face of the toddler she’s carrying is a decent match for publicised images of Amanda Cameron. I pop the hatch and start preparations to launch. “The others?”

Her voice almost breaks as they scramble inside. “We’re the only ones coming.” They start strapping in as I slam the hatch and fire up the engines.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:45:57 PM by drakensis »

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »

Interesting!

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »

I didn't think it was that cramped in the ship or that the Drones were so big.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

I didn't think it was that cramped in the ship or that the Drones were so big.

Imagine being asked to put the leg of a man around your own size inside your body. There isn't room and even if it was, the possible openings aren't sized for it.

Entry #7
Over North America, Low Earth Orbit
Terra, Terran Hegemony
20:03 27 December 2766

“What’s going on, Praetorian?” demands the Admiral.

“We have to pick up that shuttle.”

Messages to the contrary are no doubt going to every remaining element of the Amaris forces in, over or around the city. That’s why my first move isn’t to send the shuttle up but instead out over the bay.

“You need to,” I amend myself. “I don’t have any medical teams aboard and that might be needed.”

“When I said we had issues with the chain of command I didn’t mean putting you at the top,” he grumbled but he turned away and gave orders to prepare to receive a shuttle.

It’s not just the shuttle leaving the area now. At Fort Baker they’ve finally got their drop-pads opened up and a handful of small, fast dropships are ascending. Once they’re recovered…

The fight will continue I suppose. But it’s not going to be more than a holding action. Drawing resources here and away from other parts of the globe. That’s the unmentioned elephant in the room. We can’t save Terra. The losses on the ground are too heavy and without the Caspars, the space defenses can’t hold out long either, not against the reinforcements that Amaris can call in.

We have to weight how much damage we can do to the Fat Man here against what good we can do elsewhere. We haven’t reached the tipping point that means it’s time to yet… at least to my mind. Still, other people have their own opinions. And may not, for some reason, want to follow plans put forward by sentient battleships.

The good news is that with the air defense and the remaining Republican fighters concentrating on the shuttle, I think the dropships have a good chance of escaping them. That’s hundreds of SLDF personnel rescued.

The bad news, of course, is that the shuttle’s passengers are probably more important. I unleash everything I have at the pursuing fighters, sending my remaining M-3 down to support the Strikers. Somewhere, somehow, Amaris had scraped together forty fighters. If they were all in one group or if they were all aerospace fighters, that would be enough but as it is half of them are airbreathers and they’re converging into the pursuit.

With fighters from the Enterprise – almost a full wing, probably filling gaps with survivors of the wings of ships that had been destroyed – coming down to take over I turn Strikers around and hit the leading elements head on. They punch straight past the startled leading squadrons, slashing at them as they go, and then engage the lighter conventional fighters behind them. Their targets are far too lightweight take that for very long and the sky is filled with the fireworks of their extermination as the Strikers pull high-G turns – something that doesn’t do their airframes any good – to come back around on the tails of the heavier aerospace fighters.

That puts the Rimjobs in a tricky situation: with the Strikers tailgating them they’re in no position to defend themselves, but if they break off fight back then their chances of catching the shuttle aren’t all that good.

And knowing Stefan Amaris, if they don’t show enough enthusiasm for killing the children on the shuttle, their own children might pay the price. There’s something deeply unhealthy about the rulers of the Rim Worlds Republic.

Only a couple of fighters turned back to fight – far too few to even slow my fighters. The others pushed their throttles open in an effort to catch the shuttle. That wasn’t any better for their fighters than the red-lining that the Strikers were doing but they had cockpits that they couldn’t afford to breach and that wasn’t a vulnerability that the drones shared. A few of them were fast enough to keep ahead – I wished briefly my wing included a few Interceptors – and close in on my shuttle.

As I hammer down fire upon the tanks on the bridge – the crews had had a sporting chance to get out and right now resource denial is the name of the game – I measure distances and hope that the fighters descending from Enterprise will win the race.

Gravity is on their side but they have further to go.

Through the marvels of technology I pop my face up onto a screen inside the shuttle’s passenger compartment. Well, not my face, obviously. I kind of don’t have one, but I have all of digitally recorded human history to pick from. Tom Jones, in his silver goatee era, is close enough for government work: mature and yet charming. They’re all strapped in, Colonel Keeler next to the potentially Cameron toddler and the other lady with one hand on the smallest of the three children sat next to her. Her kid, presumably. With that focus it’s the two tweens that notice me first.

“Ahhh! Creepy old man!” the girl shrieks.

…everyone’s a critic. “Don’t bug me, kid. I’m having a bad day. So. I know one of you for sure, can someone tell me who I’m delivering to Vice Admiral Mroczkiewicz?” I paused. “Okay, and before anyone says anything, I am aware that nobody else here’s day has been peaches and cream either.”

Colonel Keeler is cut off by the boy. “I am Lord Joseph Kurita, son of Lord Drago Kurita, Ambassador of the Draconis Combine to the Court of the Star League. And what is your name?”

Okay. That’s something. Not much, but something. “Call me Praetorian. Want to make the introductions, Lord Kurita?”

Colonel Keeler looks about ready to speak but restrains herself. Hmm. Edith Keeler. I wonder if she has a relative by the name of Edwin – or perhaps even a husband. Probably not, Keeler isn’t that uncommon a name.

“This is my sister Johnna,” (The other tween). “Our brother Tu.” (The younger kid. I refrained from asking where Wun had gone). “And our mother.”

“Charmed.” I pause and when he doesn’t go on: “Colonel Keeler? Who’s the sprog?”

“The child,” she tells me in a tight voice, “Is the First Lord’s daughter.”

That makes it official. I’ve ordered a full meal and got served a child’s portion instead. I reminded myself that with only one survivor from the improvised strike force, I was lucky to get anything at all. “Well done, Colonel. Do you have any information to report?”

Keeler hung her head. “Lady Cameron was shot during the escape. Amaris told her that the First Lord was dead. Ambassador Kurita joined the forlorn hope trying to reach Amaris’ command post.” She looks at the children. “He said that if they failed, he would not be taken alive.”

We both knew what that meant. Whether or not it had been necessary would probably be argued over at length but it wasn’t my concern. “I understand.” There’s a roar of engines and the shuttle rocks slightly.

“What was that?” Lady Kurita asks – fairly composedly under the circumstances.

“Enterprise’s fighters winning a race,” I tell her, watching the Republican fighters tumbling out of the sky.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

Very interesting drakensis. The Kurita-Davions and Amanda Cameron make it out. This is a great story. Cna't wait to see where it goes.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »

incidentally, Praetorian's 'face'

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »

incidentally, Praetorian's 'face'

Ewwwww Scary Old Man lol great story Enterprise a Cameron and Praetorian wonder where next
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »

Interlude #1
SLS Enterprise, High Orbit
Terra, Terran Hegemony
23:30 27 December 2766

It was hard to believe that it was less than nine hours since the universe had taken a sharp turn for the worse. Santiago Mroczkiewicz was all too conscious he might be called to the bridge at any moment so although he’d broken out a bottle of brandy he hadn’t indulged himself. Most of his guests were sparing their consumption but Vice-Admiral Shatliov was on his second glass and Colonel Keeler had tossed her first one back with abandon and was now eyeing the bottle with ill-disguised interest.

She probably deserved it. “Help yourself, Colonel,” Mroczkiewicz offered. Her report had been… raw.

Keeler accepted the bottle and splashed the contents into her glass. “If you don’t mind my asking, what happens now?”

Mroczkiewicz leant forwards in his chair. “That’s what we’re about to decide, Colonel. Although our new friend Praetorian had some suggestions.”

“Of course it did,” snapped Aslan Lybekk. The SLDF Quartermaster-General was apparently taking the warship’s suggestion of suicide rather than capture as a personal insult. “Why that thing was ever turned on…”

“Are we sure it’s really a drone?” As Deputy Director of Naval Command, Vincenzo McTiernan was more familiar with SDS drones than most of those in the room – if only indirectly. “They’re not supposed to have that sort of initiative.”

“It’s hard to be sure without boarding, but there are no obvious signs of active life support and the shuttles it deployed were automated.” Spreading his hands Mrockiwicz added: “Whether Praetorian is a drone or has a really perverse crew, the ability to take over Caspars makes it a powerful ally. I can put up with the attitude and the mystery – for now.”

“How about the music?”

“I’m assured some of it’s quite catchy, which isn’t to say I’ll let my comm-crews start doing the same.”

Shatliov refilled his glass. “So what does the machine suggest?”

“Praetorian recommends evacuating as many of the Hegemony’s leadership as possible from Geneva and then leaving the solar system.” Mroczkiewicz raised his hand to still the complaints. “He argues… cogently… that Amaris has the preponderance of ground forces on Terra and can call in enough reinforcements from Mars, Venus and the jump points to very seriously threaten us – not to mention other systems. Given that we’ve destroyed twice as many warships today as he was supposed to have at all, I don’t wish to under-estimate his potential reinforcements.”

“In favour of evacuation, we have to send some ships away anyway,” Keeler observed. She might be by far the junior person in the room, but her position as Amanda Cameron’s de facto guardian gave her remarkable status in these murky circumstances. It was a status she was eager to be rid of, if not necessarily the child. “Lady Cameron said New Avalon – I’m not sure why.”

Mrockiewicz’s eyebrows rose. Although he too was outranked by some of those in the room the remaining warships had fallen under his command, making him field commander for what was left of the SLN over Terra. “I can shed some light there. According to Praetorian, her father had asked John Davion to be her Regent if anything happened to him.”

“Not his precious friend Stefan?” grunted McTiernan. “That’s a surprise.”

“Lady Cameron wasn’t all that fond of Amaris. Too bad Richard didn’t listen more to her. Praetorian’s testimony doesn’t have any legal weight of course, but I don’t see any reason for it to lie.” He grimaced. “And he had… pointed things to say about General Kerensky as a father figure. So I’ll be taking a squadron at least as far as Cartago. From there I can get word to the First Prince and to the Commanding General.”

There was no argument over that. “And the rest of us?”

“The other recommendations are that a couple of ships head for the Combine with Ambassador Kurita’s family. Praetorian seems impressed with the notion that it may convince Takiro Kurita to support the SLDF. I’m not sure why he expects trouble there but it can’t hurt. The rest of our ships, he suggests, should fall back on one of the deep space rendezvous and start gauging the extent of Amaris’ invasion and gathering other surviving ships together.”

“It suggests.”

“Yes?”

“You said ‘he’.”

“A slip of the tongue.” Mrockiewicz glanced around the room. “I’m open to other suggestions.”

“No, I had much the same idea,” McTiernan confirmed. “But I don’t want Praetorian involved in that. We’ll need to keep that rendezvous secret and I don’t trust that thing.”

“It reciprocates, Admiral. Thus its refusal to let anyone aboard, despite the damage. In any case, it’s requesting scratch crews to handle jump operations for five M-5 drones – they have trouble with that, apparently – so it can raid other worlds and spread confusion. It’ll take time for Amaris to restore the defenses that he destroyed and the longer we can drag that out, the more easily General Kerensky can liberate the Hegemony.”

“He’s also requested a ground element – the Royal First Swiss Cavalry have volunteered as soon as their dependents are fully evacuated and they’ve filled the gaps in their roster with cadets from Sandhurst. Maybe twenty-four hours if we can get some crews together. I’ve put out the word to civilian jumpships asking for anyone they can spare that has military experience.”

“I’ve heard worse plans,” conceded Lybekk grudgingly. “It won’t be able to stay ahead of Amaris forever though.”

“It rather thought that some of us would like that aspect of the plan,” responded Mrockiewicz. “The eventual plan is for it to link up with SLDF forces outside the Hegemony once it’s no longer capable of independent operations.”

“What if it uses the M-9 stations to maintain itself – it could probably hack them as easily as it subverts Caspars.”

McTiernan shook his head. “Their docks aren’t large enough. It might be able to reload its magazines, but they can’t carry out the major hull repairs needed for an extended campaign.” Unspoken was the fact that when it linked up, Praetorian would therefore be vulnerable to the SLDF if they choose to eliminate it. “Did it have any other suggestions?”

Mrockiewicz rolled his eyes. Maybe he could do with a glass of brandy after all. “Just that Colonel Keeler’s report should probably be leaked to a major holovid studio. It thought it might make for a good action flick and probably be good propaganda to boot.”

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »

“It suggests.”

“Yes?”

“You said ‘he’.”

“A slip of the tongue.”

The beauty of languages with a neutral case  ;)

Walegrin

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »

I am definitely keeping an eye on this. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up