OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Centurion  (Read 27581 times)

Shadow_Wraith

• Lojtnant
Re: Centurion
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »

:D  So I am being impatient! But looking forward to see how the New Dallas Governor will reestablish the HAF?  Eventhough he is the interim Director-General.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »

Isn't it doing a bit too much by overpassing General Kerensky and naming an interim Director General?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »

Commanding General Kerensky of the SLDF's civil authority is essentially equal to Tommy's i.e. none whatsoever. (Unless Kerensky pronounced martial law but he's hardly had the chance to do that yet, still being a bit out of touch).

However, prodding Clay is perfectly feasible and he has a fair bit of civil authority. Possibly less than some of the evacuees from Geneva but they're not around right now.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »

I don't think so Ice. Even if Clay took the title Governor-General it demonstrates his moral authority over the surviving Hegemony and makes him a powerful symbol of resistance. Granted it might over step his authority but drakensis could very well be correct. As a legitimate Planetary Governor he could well be in the line of succession even if it is a distant claim.

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 12:21:10 AM »

Yeah Bring back The H.A.F. . Also this is politics which is a knifefight with poisoned blades besides Kerensky is a soldier not a politician which is how Richard Cameron turned out so screwed up. If he was taught the right way Amaris would of been dancing a jig long ago.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »

As a legitimate Planetary Governor he could well be in the line of succession even if it is a distant claim.

Nope. Not unless he has some Cameron blood in him.

The President of the Hegemony Congress could step in as interim ruler of the Hegemony, but the Director-Generalship was reserved for the Cameron line only thanks to the Succession Bill of 2392. (Amaris was elected to Emperor because the title of Director-General and First Lord were off limits.)

As governor, Clay could create coalitions or exercise his clout to rule, but he'd have no legal standing what so ever outside of New Dallas.

Sorry folks.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »

Spoilsport  :P

muttley

• Lojtnant
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »

Thats fine.  It'll confuse the issue. If enough people back him it'll be de facto if not de jure.  Like the Archon-Princess...
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »

Thats fine.  It'll confuse the issue. If enough people back him it'll be de facto if not de jure.  Like the Archon-Princess...

Maybe, or it'll accelerate the same issues that paralyzed the canon Hegemony from reforming its government...
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »

Nope. Not unless he has some Cameron blood in him.

The President of the Hegemony Congress could step in as interim ruler of the Hegemony, but the Director-Generalship was reserved for the Cameron line only thanks to the Succession Bill of 2392. (Amaris was elected to Emperor because the title of Director-General and First Lord were off limits.)

As governor, Clay could create coalitions or exercise his clout to rule, but he'd have no legal standing what so ever outside of New Dallas.

Sorry folks.

Umm.... your actually incorrect Knightmare as Amaris was legally elected Director-General of Terran Hegemony. As far as I can remember a Cameron had the right of first refusal however First Lord is a different matter. There the Camerons are guaranteed the position by the Star League Accords. I'm doing some research on the Hegemony Charter authored by James McKenna in 2316. I'll get a thread goin soon.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »

Entry #17
High Orbit, New Dallas,
Terran Hegemony
12:00 18 January 2767

Whatever Governor – excuse me, Interim Director-General - Clay thought of the plan at first glance, the crowds around the Executive Mansion in Caddo City are making their feelings known about the hastily produced badges on the right shoulders of the soldiers and BattleMechs parading through the avenues of the city return the salutes of Clay and a sour-faced Major General Kataga.

Many of the regiments had fought under the General’s command only days before, storming the enclaves of Republican troops that New Dallas’ defenders had been wise enough to bar from entry to their fortifications. Now they don’t have the Cameron Star, badge of the Star League, displayed on their uniforms. Instead they proudly wear the globe in laurels of the Terran Hegemony.

Not all the soldiers on New Dallas have transferred – in fact less than a third have and virtually all are reservists – but the vast majority of them are in the parade.

And Caddo City loves them.

I can practically hear the cheering from orbit. These are their soldiers, not a part of the SLDF that could be sent off across the Inner Sphere on little to no notice. A month ago that wouldn’t have mattered quite so much (although this was New Dallas) but that was then and this is now. Today New Dallas stands almost alone while more than a hundred worlds that were friends and neighbours are trying out Amaris’ boot as an adornment for the back of their necks.

Of course, quite a number of those soldiers will be leaving New Dallas in weeks to come but there’s no need to spoil the show.

“This is a historic moment,” Clay announces once the last of the soldiers have marched into their proper places. “In the past, governments have awarded medals to soldiers, to military units and on at least one occasion to an island. While the SLDF routinely recognises the accomplishments of a ship and its crew, I believe that today New Dallas is witness to the first occasion when an artificial intelligence is decorated for their valour and their dedication to duty.”

“Between 27 December 2766 and 13 January 2767, SLS Praetorian has distinguished himself by repeatedly engaging in battle against warships in the service of the Usurper, Stefan Amaris. Through his diligent efforts, Republican efforts to seize control of Terra were delayed long enough for many government officials to escape. In addition to this, under his direction, the heir to the late First Lord of the Star League was rescued from captivity, critical resources were denied to the Usurper and the planet of New Dallas delivered from the menace of a fleet of Republican warships.”

“It is my great privilege to award to SLS Praetorian the Star of New Dallas. Wear it with the pride that the people of New Dallas have in you. Colonel Corvus, if you would do the honours?”

Aboard me, facing a bulkhead that I have carefully picked to have absolutely nothing valuable right behind it, Taylor Corvus makes brief use of a welding torch. The moment is immortalised by camera. What historians will one day make of it, I have no idea.

“I tried to get him to go for granting you citizenship too, Tommy, but he figured it was too much, too fast,” Corvus advised me, secure in the knowledge that I was transmitting video but not audio.

“He may be right. Besides, then I’d have to pay taxes.”

“Good point. Maybe we should emphasize that you took out half of Zebebelgenubi’s tax records.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t. I’m fairly well prepared to defend myself against Republican warships, but if I get sued for tax fraud I’d be in over my head.”

“Wouldn’t we all?”

Down below, Titus was winding up his remarks. “Perhaps Praetorian would like to give the Hegemony Armed Forces a few words?”

At least he isn’t springing this as a surprise. I’ve had a little time to prepare some remarks. Then I thought about it a bit more. The Director-General had asked for something rousing and morale boosting.

I don’t open with words. I open with a beat.

Bam-bam-boom.

My ‘face’ appears on the central monitor behind the Governor, flanked by a shot of my hull from a media shuttle at a range of about two kilometers and by the medal now welded to me.

Bam-bam-boom.

I can see feet twitching in the crowds. The soldiers have better discipline, even if they’re supposed to be ‘at ease’.

Bam-bam-boom.

“~Stefan you’re a fool, make a big noise, overthrow the League, gonna be a dead man some day. You got blood on your face, you big disgrace. Gonna kick your ass all over the place. Singing I will, I will rock you.~” On the screen I held out my hand, sweeping my finger across the crowd. “~We will, we will rock you.~”

I throw Clay a break, putting a kareoke-like stream of lyrics across his prompter. He hasn’t got to his position without knowing a cue when he saw one and his voice joins mine with barely a falter.

“~Stefan you’re the wrong man, fat man. Word’s on the street, gonna take back the League some day. You got blood on your face, you big disgrace. Waving our banner all over the place.~” Is there singing in the crowd? “Sing it!”

“~WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU!~”

From the sound of that, yes, there is.

“~Stefan you’re out of luck, out of time; telling you right now, Amanda’s coming home some day.~” And Clay gestures towards the soldiers to join in as we get to the familiar words.

“~YOU GOT BLOOD ON YOUR FACE, YOU BIG DISGRACE.~” I throw the next words up onto the main screen for the crowd. They respond enthusiastically. “~SOMEONE BETTER PUT YOU BACK INTO YOUR PLACE! WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU!~”

“Sing it! Everybody!”

Like we need to tell them that! “WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU!” I don’t think anyone would even notice the guitar solo cut in, so I give them the beat instead. Bam-bam-boom. Bam-bam-boom. “WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU!”

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »

Nice!

Shadow_Wraith

• Lojtnant
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »

:)  Very nice update!  Got the song in my head now! 

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »

Umm.... your actually incorrect Knightmare as Amaris was legally elected Director-General of Terran Hegemony. As far as I can remember a Cameron had the right of first refusal however First Lord is a different matter. There the Camerons are guaranteed the position by the Star League Accords.

Nope, Wrong again. A plebiscite under the Terran Senate had to overturn the Succession Bill and confirm Amaris as Director-General. Without the Terran Senate overturning the law and accepting the highly dubious vote as acceptable, Amaris wouldn't have been able to ascend to the Director-Generalship. Governor Clay has neither the Senate, nor a vote to back any claim.

As for the First Lordship, Amaris could (the Accords necessitated the title be a member of the Cameron family) have ascended to the position regardless of the Accords if the High Council would amend the document—which Amaris knew wouldn't happen.

pg. 29 HLofT Volume 1

It's all good, I like this story.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:15:08 PM by Knightmare »

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »

Nope, Wrong again. A plebiscite under the Terran Senate had to overturn the Succession Bill and confirm Amaris as Director-General. Without the Terran Senate overturning the law and accepting the highly dubious vote as acceptable, Amaris wouldn't have been able to ascend to the Director-Generalship. Governor Clay has neither the Senate, nor a vote to back any claim.

As for the First Lordship, Amaris could (the Accords necessitated the title be a member of the Cameron family) have ascended to the position regardless of the Accords if the High Council would amend the document—which Amaris knew wouldn't happen.

pg. 29 HLofT Volume 1

It's all good, I like this story.

Well, I agree with you that it is all good as the story is excellent.

However, there is no mention of a repeal (pg. 28 HLofT Volume 1) of the Succession Bill of 2392 (SLSB pg. 25). Relevant quotes below.

On 30 January 2767, the Terran Senate confirmed him as the new Director-General after a plebiscite, with some sixty-three percent voting in his favor. Evidence of gerrymandering was largely ignored at the time, though ComStar’s analysis of the records showed significant voting irregularities.

Lord Brian's second major contribution was the introduction of the Succession Bill of 2392. This bill set forth regulations by which the High Council could choose "the correct candidate for the Directorship," should a Director die without naming a successor. Though couched in legal finery, the bill in effect introduced hereditary succession. The bill's wording technically allowed for election of a candidate from outside the Cameron family, but the rest of the provisions made that almost impossible.

Now Amaris has a gun to peoples heads so he has his claim by threat of force. I find it interesting that proper Terran custom has the Hegemony High Council nominate candidates to the public for confirmation. Which the Senate accepted despite the questionable irregularities of the vote. So while Clay might not have the proper officials present he is the highest public officer to escape the Coup. Also he could be backed by a provision similar to the 25th Amendment in the US Constitution which outlines line of succession in case of catastrophes something that is likely to have been included in the Charter either originally or afterwards.

I look forward to more discussion on these points in my Hegemony Charter thread which should be up soon.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:57:15 PM by Takiro »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up