OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Centurion  (Read 27549 times)

Shadow_Wraith

• Lojtnant
Re: Centurion
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »

;D  Nice!

muttley

• Lojtnant
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

Well writte as usual
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2013, 12:16:35 AM »

I can understand the first part but I do not think Kerensky is thinking Exodus at this moment. True Ian and The Royal Command both screwed up. Ian first when he put the entire HAF in the SLDF and 200 years later the Royal command should of kept an Army composed of Royals in the Alliance Core.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2013, 03:15:37 AM »

I can understand the first part but I do not think Kerensky is thinking Exodus at this moment. True Ian and The Royal Command both screwed up. Ian first when he put the entire HAF in the SLDF and 200 years later the Royal command should of kept an Army composed of Royals in the Alliance Core.
Where do you get Exodus from?

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2013, 04:00:34 AM »

Not really. He's faced with some complicated problems. One, Kerensky can't hand the HAF the Royal Command. Doing so would undermine the entire 200+ year setup of the SLDF—and to a slightly lesser extent—the Star League. Plus, a mass defection to the HAF would likely cause all kinds of chaos for the SLDF during their exodus.  It was right there.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »

Exodus in lowercase—meaning their "defection" from the SLDF for the Hegemony and HAF.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »

Interlude #5, Part 1
Caddo City, Trinity
New Dallas, Terran Hegemony
12:00 15 May 2767

At first Titus Clay was sitting alone at the table but then, at the stroke of twelve, holograms appeared around it. The head of the scratch team of Ministry of Communications workers that had arrived with elements of the Eighth Army had worked wonders getting New Dallas set up with not only a new HPG but a sufficiently stable one to operate a realtime connection to the other capitals of the Star League.

The other capitals… how very strange that New Dallas was counted as such a world now. It would pass, of course. Terra would reclaim the spot soon enough. But today New Dallas was the heart of the free Hegemony.

The white-haired Takiro Kurita sat beside Clay and beyond him was John Davion. To Clay’s surprise a small girl was sitting in the First Prince’s lap, a cookie in one hand and staring wide eyed at the holograms that must be appearing around the table in the room she and Davion were sitting in. For an instant, Clay wondered if it was one of Davion’s children but then he realised the obvious:

Amanda Cameron was appearing before the Star League Council for the first time since Richard had shown her off after her birth.

Beyond Davion the unassuming features of Aleksandr Kerensky could be seen and then, arcing back towards Clay, Barbara Liao, the smirking Kenyon Marik and finally Robert Steiner. The Star League Council, rulers of all humanity… except for the rebelling Territorial States, the occupied worlds of the Hegemony and, of course, the Rim Worlds Republic itself.

“Ladies and gentlemen, our new First Lord,” Davion announced, holding up Amanda. The little girl gave a big grin, fragments of cookie visible to them all.

“That remains to be seen,” grumbled Kenyon Marik. “I think we’ve had enough of child heirs after her father.”

“The Star League Accords leave us no choice,” the First Prince replied coolly. “So long as there is a Cameron candidate, they have a right to the title. And we have no other Cameron to elect.” He half-turned and handed Amanda off to someone not included in the field of the camera.

The Captain-General looked around for support but no one else seemed inclined to speak up. Perhaps it was Clay’s imagination but he seemed to receive a longer look than the others. Did Marik think he’d make a play for the role himself? If so, he was sadly mistaken. The law of the League was all that was holding it together and Clay would not undermine it.

“Amanda Cameron has my support, of course,” the Interim Director-General announced, “But there are some precedents that the Captain-General is right to suggest we do not follow. I think it’s evident that placing the full burden of responsibility for the Star League and the young First Lord upon General Kerensky when he was already responsible for the SLDF – and then in a time of peace – it was simply too great a burden for even the greatest of men.”

Kerensky looked uncomfortable, as did Kurita and Davion, who were the only sitting members of the Council who remained from that debate, seventeen years ago.

“Are you suggesting we accept his resignation?” asked Steiner slyly.

“Not in a time of war,” growled Kurita. “Soldier appreciate the demands of duty, Archon Steiner.”

The gibe at the younger man, who had eschewed military service, hit with stinging force.

“A change of command at this point would be unwise.” Clay bowed his head slightly towards the General. “However, it would be unwise to add to the great burden of waging this war… which is after all the largest ever waged by man.”

Kerensky returned the nod with gratitude. “I feel that my service as Regent has proven that my service to the Star League is best confined to the role of soldier.”

“You may not get out of it that easily,” Clay noted with a smile. “I would like to suggest that when our Protector of the Star League retires that his unparalleled service be rewarded by a seat amongst us as the ruler of the Rim Worlds Republic.”

Kerensky’s face tightened. It wasn’t entirely a surprise, the proposal was one that had been discussed hastily by secure communications over the last few weeks. But still, to have it out in the open took forward it an irrevocable step.

“That seems a little premature… we don’t even control the Republic at this time,” objected Steiner.

“We shall soon.” It was Takiro who spoke up. “While my son Minoru reclaims the Combine worlds that were defiled by Amaris’ soldiers, my nephew Vincent has been sent to assist General Kerensky in securing the Rim Worlds capital on Apollo. They will then serve as a garrison for the region as the SLDF secures the rest of the Republic.”

“Now wait here!” Robert Steiner didn’t need a military background to know that that would put DCMS troops not far from the Rim Worlds border with his own Lyran Commonwealth. “How do we know you’ll not annex those worlds to the Combine?”

Takiro’s smile was serene. “What if we do, Archon?”

Kerensky nodded his head slightly. “Whoever the Council decides to place as ruler over the Republic, it is my advice that they should not rule from Apollo. The politics of that world have shaped House Amaris, one factor among many that have brought us into this pass.” He paused. “I see no reason that other Member States bordering the Rim Worlds Republic could not similarly send expeditionary forces with expectations of similar results.”

Kenyon Marik and Robert Steiner squirmed. On the one hand, the opportunity to slice off chunks of the Rim Worlds Republic. On the other, in so doing they’d be helping Kerensky, the man of no noble lineage that had somehow risen to a position of power over them.

“I will consult my Generals,” Steiner grumbled to save face and Marik nodded sharply.

“It isn’t a decision to make in haste,” agreed Clay.

“I second the Director-General’s nomination of Aleksandr Kerensky to represent the Rim Worlds Republic unpon the Star League Council,” the First Prince announced. “And I call for an immediate vote.”

Kenyon Marik looked appealingly at Barbara Liao. The Chancellor surely wouldn’t back Davion on this – they’d been enemies for years and even fought a border war during Kerensky’s regency – and that would deadlock the Council.

Liao shrugged slightly and then smiled at Kenyon. “I vote aye. Shall we make it unanimous?”

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

Interesting. Why is Kerensky always going to govern the Rim Worlds at the end of these alternates? Who is serving as Second Lord or Regent of the Star League? What about efforts to prop up the League? Communications and Economic restoration of normalcy??

Warclaw

• Menig
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:45 PM »

Interesting. Why is Kerensky always going to govern the Rim Worlds at the end of these alternates?

Because, from the POV of the House Lords it'll:

1: Play well with the proles and general run of soldiers as a "Reward for Service".

2: Not really cost them anything significant.

3: Move Kerensky from a position of Power (Retired Eminent General in a position to affect IS politics for years), to a MUCH less powerful one, (Periphery Lord of a shattered Realm).

Basically, if I'm a House Lord, even one who likes Kerensky, I don't really want him wandering around the Hegemony/IS free to get into whatever mischief he likes.  Tying him to the RWR achieves that goal.  Not only will it be greatly reduced in size once the FWL, LC, and Kuritans get done with the border, it'll be reeling from the conquest as the Star League and associated forces remove Amaris' people.  Kerensky will be spending at least the next few years just on rebuilding what's left. 

Kept busy at his new home, he'll be safely out of the way, and greatly limited in what he can do to interfere with whatever the House Lords wish to do.

Additionally, as a House Lord himself, even one of a minor periphery realm, he'll be legally unable to draw on Star League forces without Council/First Lord approval.  I imagine that also plays a factor.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »

Nailed it.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lojtnant
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »

;D  Nice update!  Glad to see the setting of how the SL council meeting went!

muttley

• Lojtnant
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »

Interesting if Amaris' tame HPG folks tapped that call...
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »

Interlude #5, Part 2
Caddo City, Trinity
New Dallas, Terran Hegemony
13:00 15 May 2767

After a brief clarification that Kerensky had no intention of retiring until Amaris was safely dead, the Council took a few moments to process the sudden changes.

“I think it’s pretty obvious that we’re being managed,” Kenyon observed tersely. “So would the other Council Lords like to reveal whatever political agenda you’re planning on steamrollering over us today?”

Clay looked at them and smiled. “The next item on the agenda is that even if General Kerensky is unavailable, we should appoint a Regent to fill the role of First Lord until Lady Amanda is of age. Does anyone wish to make a nomination.”

The Coordinator cleared his throat. “I feel that only a member of this council would have the necessary experience. And as we are electing a wartime leader, youth and vigor will be desirable.” The old man turned his head to his left. “Can you think of anyone who is suitably qualified, Prince Davion.”

To Kenyon’s surprise, the First Prince didn’t take the effective nomination with his earlier good humour. “I do have someone in mind,” he gritted out. “Thank you, Coordinator.”

“I object,” Steiner snapped. “The Director-General has already spoken of the importance of spreading the responsibilities left vacant by the death of Richard Cameron. For Davion to be Regent and the First Lord’s guardian is hardly consistent with that.”

Davion took a deep breath. “I agree. So I nominate Chancellor Liao as the Regent. I trust that no one will accuse the two of us of colluding to the detriment of our respective responsibilities.”

“Wise words, Prince Davion,” agreed Kurita with a certain amusement. “Do you accept the nomination, Chancellor?”

“But of course. Do you second it?”

The Coordinator nodded benevolently and Barbara Liao rose slightly from her seat to curtsey towards the elder statesman before resuming her seat.

“I move that the appointment of Barbara as Regent be by acclaimation,” said Clay. “Do I hear an objection?”

There was a sulky silence.

“Madame Regent.” Kerensky stood and saluted her formally.

Barbara nodded regally. “General.”

“If the Council will excuse me, I imagine that a full report on the war will be required.”

“Indeed. But tomorrow, I think. Let us get the politics out of the way today and we can give you our full attention.”

The General bowed. “Then if you will excuse me, I will make my escape from politics for today.”

“For today, General. Not forever.”

Kerensky’s image winked out.

“He’s going to be a terribly inflexible member of the Council,” Liao warned the men still at the table.

“We’ve never been short of those, Chancellor,” replied John Davion.

Kenyon leant forwards. “Wait a minute. You’re talking about him as if he’ll be our equal. The Rim Worlds Republic is only a Territorial State.”

“Oh dear, Captain-General, is your hearing going?” Barbara asked with a wicked smile. “Kerensky was elected as a member of this Council without any restrictions. From the moment he retires there will be seven Member-States, not six.”

“Are you out of your mind!?” exploded Robert Steiner. “Do you have any idea how much damage that will do?”

“I think the division between the Member-States and the Territorial States has done enough damage over the last two years. Or did you miss hearing about the Periphery Uprisings in the rush of the Tharkad social circuit, Robert? We’ve already lost three of them to all practical purposes - the SLDF can’t liberate the Hegemony and reconquer the outer realms.”

Clay leant forwards. “There is one loyal region out there – the spinward provinces of the Outworlds Alliance have remained faithful to the Star League and President Avellar has declined to send what’s left of her military to reconquer them. With the Council’s permission I’d like to open negotiations. Allyce Avellar seems open to reason.”

He saw the Coordinator smiling knowingly and the First Prince covered his face. “Alright, what’s the joke?”

“The Alliance’s new President is a naïve little girl,” Kurita explained. “My agents inform me that she believe in goodwill to all and simply refuses to believe that ‘Mr Amaris’ would hurt ‘Mr Cameron’ or that ‘Mr Kerensky’ would wage war over it.”

“Please tell me he’s joking.”

Davion shook his head. “He’s really not. She’s a nightmare to deal with. Completely out of touch with reality.”

Clay nodded. “Well, that sounds promising. I’m all in favour of goodwill if I can make it work for me.”

“I trust you’ll keep the Combine’s interest in the area firmly in mind?” suggested Kurita.

“Well since neither you nor John wants the other to have any advantage there, I was thinking of annexing those provinces to the Hegemony if she’ll sign off on it.”

There was a spluttering sound from the direction of Marik but Clay waved his hand dismissively. “You’re all getting the shared worlds back, so I need some sort of new frontier to offer the Hegemony. And with the Hegemony as a friendly neighbour, we may be able to win the Outworlds Alliance back for the League without firing a shot.”

“Now who’s out of touch with reality?” asked the Captain-General scornfully.

Further conversation was cut off as Kerensky’s holograph appeared suddenly back in his seat, a verigraphed HPG message in one hand. “My apologies for the interruption, my Lords and Lady Regent Liao, however I have important news. Admiral Brandt has just informed me that she is launching Operation KAISER today: the liberation of Terra.” The General gave Clay a suspicious look and then clarified: “In fact, by the schedule, First Fleet and Terran Hegemony Navy will already have jumped into the Sol System.”

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »

And announcement time.

1. I've been running a few entries ahead of what I post to allow for bad days, but these are now entirely used up and I have all of 3 paragraphs written for Entry #36.

2. In any event, since it's November very soon (just over 3 hours for me) and I'm participating in NaNoWriMo, my project for that will have priority.

Therefore, while the story isn't over or even on hiatus, Centurion is very unlikely to be on daily updates for a while.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lojtnant
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »

:)  Nice update!  Well focus on the other things and have fun!  Were always going to be here waiting for new fiction!  Your story paused at a good point. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up