OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Stitch In Time  (Read 21244 times)

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
Re: A Stitch In Time
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2012, 08:01:58 PM »

The triumphant return! So awesome, I can't wait for the TC/FS to kick some SLDF butt (hopefully :) )
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:16 AM »

Unity City, North America
Terra, Terran Hegemony
2 March 2578

Forty-eight hours and two nights sleep – one in Geneva and the other aboard the luxury airliner that had carried him halfway around the planet - had done much to restore Ian Cameron’s energy, if not his spirits.

“How bad it is?” he asked.

General Lee frowned. “Not good. We have three Corps along the border and with Davion changing sides, they’re trapped. I Corps might manage to get across the border into the Capellan Confederation but III and IV Corps have little or no chance of managing it unless the First Prince allows them to leave.”

“You’re talking about effectively a third of the Star League Army being lost, not to mention the naval losses. The Taurians will no doubt take the opportunity to cross the border and smash them flat.”

Lee nodded grimly. “Unless some sort of diplomatic miracle is worked out, the entire Taurian front is gone. In the short term that doesn’t impact us very much.”

Shandra Noruff-Cameron made an inquisitive “oh?” sound and the General looked at his political patron. “With regard to the Periphery, they were mostly stationed there to stall Taurian aggression. There was no real expectation they would do anything but buy time in the event of a Taurian offensive. Given a year or two, naval support for them could have changed that, but  that isn’t the case now. In the longer term, of course, this is worse than last spring.”

“How bad?” It was Nicholas’ first time at being involved in a conference at this level but unless he was very unlucky, it would not be the last.

His mother answered. “If we don’t turn this around fast, the entire SLDF is going to be essentially ruined. The loss of manpower and equipment will take years to replace but the damage to morale will be even worse.”

“What do we have left?”

“Right now we have IX Corps on the Rim Worlds front, II and VI Crops on the Outworlds front and V and VIII Corps facing the Canopians. There are also Auxiliary Corps from the Lyrans and Draconians, with new Corps forming from the FWLM and CCAF. Just to give you a contrast, we’re reasonably sure that the Taurians alone can equal the regular SLDF Corps once we deduct the three already on their border.”

Ian nodded. “We can’t win the war on the ground. That’s been increasingly clear. So we need a victory and we can only really achieve it in space. What do we have that we can use to obtain a victory? If possible something that could be used to recover the three Corps that we’re expecting to be overrun.”

“Well... Half our reconditioned ships are on their way towards the Taurian front – fortunately they’ve barely crossed into the Federated Suns so we can get word to them before they wind up trapped. They don’t have the supplies for an extended operation though. In fact,” Lee looked uncomfortable, “I recommend holding them back to defend the Hegemony. I think we have to assume that Prince Davion’s neutrality won’t extend to blocking his ‘cousin’ from sending her troops to our border with him.”

Nicholas nodded. “What about the other half?”

“Halfway to the Canopian front,” Lee told him after a questioning look at Ian. “We’re probably going to need to redirect them to the Capellan border with the Federated Suns now.”

“I suppose. But really those two forces are the only ones that we can use right now, right?

His elders exchanged looks. “You have a point,” admitted Ian.

Shandra looked thoughtful. “I think we’re going to have to throw out our strategic doctrine – the Periphery obviously aren’t operating by it – and look at other options. What we really need is a victory like New Samarkand – hitting one of their capital worlds.”

“Those are going to be tough targets. Anything we send may not come back.”

“At this stage I don’t think  we have any safe options,” she told Lee. “Hitting a capital would go a long way towards rebuilding morale – we’d be striking back – and it would force them to watch their rear areas far more than they are already. What are our options?”

“Well there are... let’s call it eight hostile states at this time. I think we can scratch Tortuga, the Marians and the Oberon Confederation off the list – we just don’t have the navigational data to reach them.” Lee frowned. “We don’t have that problem with Filtvet but to be honest it’s an unreachable distance now that we can’t stage from the Federated Suns. So we have a choice of Alpheratz, New Avalon, Taurus and Canopus.”

Ian nodded. “I don’t think that Taurus is feasible, from the naval figures that we’ve seen they could very well have the Hyades fortified with more ships than we can send after them.”

Pulling open a terminal, Lee did some calculations. “We can use the ships heading for the Canopus front for an attack there or pull them over to strike at New Avalon, but it would be faster to use the ships we were sending to Taurus to head for New Avalon or of course Alpheratz.”

“I don’t like the idea of using the second force,” the Drector-General observed. “And in any event, for all the trouble that they’ve caused, striking at the Outworlds capital wouldn’t change anything. They’re being propped up by the Taurians already. Let’s focus on New Avalon and Canopus using the ships currently in the Free Worlds League.”

“In some ways they’re the most vulnerable targets,” Shandra mused. “We know that Alexander has centralised power into his own hands, governing the Federated Suns from New Avalon alone. Losing New Avalon wouldn’t break his resolve but it would seriously destabilise the Federated Suns, leaving them as much less of a problem for a year or two.”

“And Canopus?” asked Lee curiously. He’d been more interested in the military capabilities of the periphery than their politics.

“The Magistracy and Canopus IV are virtually synonymous. By reports almost twenty percent of their entire population and presumably a comparable degree of their industry and government are on that one planet. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that whoever holds Canopus holds the Magistracy – if nothing else, Andurien would provide a viable alternative capital – but even its temporary loss must cause enormous political and economic damage.”

Nicholas nodded. “There’s the other aspect, mother. As you might imagine, the Professors at Sandhurst had me look at the ruling Houses of our new neighbours, to the extent we have information on them. The Magestrix is the only adult member of House Centrella. If she dies – and given her previous history it’s far from impossible that she’ll fight in the defence of Canopus personally – then the Magistracy will be faced with a crisis: either find a regent for her daughter or elect a Magestrix from outside House Centrella. In either case, it’s not beyond belief that they’d be willing to accept some sort of deal in order to remove our forces from Canopus.”

“Let’s not get too optimistic,” warned Ian. “Most likely Protector Calderon would send forces to relieve Canopus. But since that means that the forces in use aren’t fighting us, it buys us more time. I have to admit that Canopus sounds just as appealing a target as New Avalon. Still, in either case, we will lose may, if not all, of the ships and soldiers that we send. That will hurt morale even if we win. In that case...”

“If the next battle is is a victory then the Star League still has a chance of survival. If it is a defeat then I suspect Ian Marik will seek a private peace,” Shandra observed bleakly.

Nicholas swallowed. Such a move would leave Alistair Liao isolated, both geographically and politically. It was highly probably that Ursula Liao would be able to contest his rule, probably with support from the Periphery and the Federated Suns.

It was likely that the Lyran Commonwealth and Draconis Combine would remain loyal – although Hehiro Kurita might well demand concessions for that loyalty. That would be the end of the Star League however. What would remain would not be his father’s dream, it would simply be a supra-national alliance, part of a polarised humanity.

Ian’s thoughts must have been following the same track. “Better in that case that the Star League be dissolved.”

That drew shock from Shandra and General Lee but Nicholas nodded. “It would make the Reunification War from the history the Periphery told us look like a pushing match.”

“Yes.” Ian sighed. “So we must send a large part of what remains of our forces out to seize one of these two worlds. We know of New Avalon’s defences, but Canopus IV...”

“Perhaps ten to twenty warships. A considerable number of orbital stations. It is one of, if not the, principal shipyards that the House Centrella controls.” General Lee nodded. “More formidable than New Avalon, but it’s likely that an attack could yield a formidable amount of data on their advanced technology.”

“Good point there. Not to mention...” Shandra started searching through documents on her terminal. “Where was it... ah yes. There’s an economic analysis derived from reports made by the Free Worlds’ ambassador to Canopus in the thirty-first centry. The key point is that while the Canopians have a lower population than the Taurians, their economy is considerably more flush and heavily invested in international trade – not just for their anti-agathic treatments but any number of other biological fields. If their economy takes a downturn then the ripples will shake all the others. The Federated Suns isn’t closely tied into that network and losing New Avalon wouldn’t have the same degree of effect.”

“Worse, Alexander might simply decide to rebuild his government on Filtvet. That wouldn’t be well-received on New Avalon, but it would irrevocably tie his interests to the Periphery. Right now...” Ian drummed his fingers against a terminal. “Matters are more fluid. Alexander has stated that he wants peace with his neighbours. I’ll offer him that: a chance to settle his differences with the Star League and perhaps even negotiate the reforms he claims might make it palatable – but on the condition he allows the peaceful departure of I, III and IV Corps from the Federated Suns.”

“Meanwhile we’ll have General Kincaid plan a strike on Canopus IV using the fleet we’re already moving towards her and whatever she thinks best out of V and VIII Corps. How long do you think it will take to organise her forces and then reach Canopus?”

General Lee made some quick mental calculations. “Perhaps three months.”

The First Star Lord reached over and took his wife’s hand. “Then tell her that what she does this summer will decide the fate of the Star League.”

Terra Prime, Apollo
Republic of the Outer Reaches
14 March 2578

The trial of Gervais Stavros for the murder of Jervis Siever would be an open-and-shut case. The father of the Consul’s ‘under-secretary’ had after all been found standing over his victim’s body and stated gladly that he had done the deed and was proud of it.

The motive was obvious: a father pushed avenging his daughter’s suicide when her lover refused to take responsibility for her pregnancy. The defense would have an uphill battle and the prosecutor was being well-paid not to mention that Gervais was terminally ill and that his daughter, actually pregnant by a Ranger, was beginning a new life in the Oberon Confederation.

Justice, in the view of Charlotte Grimm, was being done. There was no use in letting laws get in the way of that.

“I hope that you will all join me in accepting Hakim Wbika as the new Consul for the Rim Worlds in place of the late Jervis Siever,” she concluded her speech to the senate.

The applause wasn’t rapturous, although given that she was at least nominating another Consul rather than simply declaring herself as First Consul she at least got some. There were, after all, a distinct lack of others holding executive authority since the election of a new Consul for the Rift Republic had been stalled since the Senate had assembled.

Wbika rose to his feet. “With the greatest of respect to her majesty, I must decline the nomination as I feel that our current governmental structures have failed to meet the demands of administration. It is perfectly understandable that we might experience a false start, but it is clear that the consulate structure is not adequate. The Outer Reaches deserve better from us.”

A senator from Treeline stood. “What do you suggest then? Star League soldiers are rampaging across my homeworld, we cannot afford dissension while we stand on the brink of conquest by the Lyrans.”

“I’m not speaking of dissension, I speak of unity!” The former admiral raised his fist towards the sky. “We cannot afford the division of the Outer Reaches into three separate Republics. Instead we should stand together as one. I propose that the powers of the consuls be returned to the Senate and that we sit in permanent session.”

Charlotte could barely keep from swearing. She’d offered Wbika Siever’s place as Consul to co-opt him but instead he was attacking her power base: if power reverted entirely to the senate then it would remove her own power as Queen. She would have to either relinish her authority or break away from the Republic, a dangerous move when so many of her forces were engaged against the Lyrans and far from home.

Fortunately her own senators would vote where she led them. That was something. “That’s a radical proposal, Senator but not one entirely without merit. Nonetheless, an executive role is required for administrative purposes. May I suggest that the Senate appoint Ministers to handle key roles on an interim basis while modifications to our Constitution are discussed.” She smiled towards Wbika. “I would defer to Senator Wbika’s military expertise as making him the natural choice as Minister of Defence, and perhaps I might be able to serve as Minister of Foreign Affairs.”

This time there was an upswelling of applause.

“If that is the wish of the Senate, then I am of course ready to serve,” Wbika agreed readily.

Charlotte calculated carefully. She’d pulled Wbika out of active participation in the coming debates over restructuring the government but no doubt he had proxies, just as she did. And it would be too suspicious to eliminate a Minister of Defence so soon after a Strategos had been vanished.

What she needed was a diplomatic triumph to overshadow Wbika’s military role. Hmm. Perhaps Marcus O’Reilly would be open to reason...

The Triad, Tharkad City
Tharkad, Lyran Commonwealth
19 March 2578

“Could you put this in simple terms for me?”

Selwin Kelswa looked over at the document in Kevin Steiner-Dinesen’s hand. “That would be the Civil Service’s estimates for the budget.”

“The summary,” agreed the young Archon. “I think I understand it but...”

The duke took the document and looked it over. “Oh yes. I’m not sure how serious that they are about that.”

“I may not be a financial expert, but I could balance my allowance.” Kevin looked at the paper. “Even I know that the new estimations for financing the war are going to be a pain to afford.”

“Yes. I think that we can afford them. The bureaucrats are probably making deductions for what they expect to drop into their pockets as tax is collected. Fire half a dozen and the rest will calculate more honestly.”

“I was rather hoping to reduce the tax burden.” Kevin produced two more documents. “The economy may be stabilised but it’s hard to call the Commonwealth prosperous, even after mother’s reforms. If we can’t inject some more cash then the alternative would be to take less out.”

Kelswa gave him a flat look. “Might be possible. How much.”

The Archon gave him a number. The Duke’s eyebrow arched. “Really.”

“Really.”

“Then start thinking about what to cut.”

“Yes.” He looked his years all of a sudden. “Father suggested that if I let it leak that I was considering cutting contributions to the Star League and see if the First Star Lord could be persuaded to put some more of the SLDF’s budget into our yards and aerospace fighters. He’s short the Federated Suns now – Cameron’s got to be sensitive about the prospect of losing another of us.”

“That same sensitivity could be pushed too far.”

Kevin nodded. “I don’t think threatening him will be all that productive. I was thinking that it might be best to just have Duke Aldo simply ask for the investments and point out we need something to get our economy out of the gutter.”

“It’s a thought.” Kelswa stared at Kevin. “We are after all still on same side.”

“You know somehow that voice makes me wonder how sincere you’re being.”

“Yes.”

Kevin blinked. “I... see... Another test?”

The duke went back to his own paperwork. “No. Let me know what you decide.”

“Except it isn’t my decision right now. It’s up to you and Duke Lestrade and Great-Uncle Elric.”

“Only if you want it to be.” Kelswa signed the document in front of him and moved to the next. “Would you rather abdicate your position?”

The teenager took a deep breath. “My apologies. That was petulant.”

“Archon, I think we’ve already seen just how far the Director-General is willing to go in order that the Star League remains united. I don’t imagine that he will take a direct hand but that doesn’t mean that he’ll raise a finger to help you if one of your relatives decides that they should be the next Robert Steiner. What he does will depend upon what he thinks will maintain his support from the Commonwealth.”

“Then...” Kevin shook his head. “I think he’d not want to encourage instability then. So if this is presented as a chance to forestall problem...”

The duke nodded. “That could be a better way to present it. And when it comes to... soft-soaping a matter such as this, we have the right man in the right place. Aldo Lestrade’s eloquence is famous.”

Relieved, Kevin nodded. “Thank you for the advice your Grace. I’ll write to Aldo.”

“There is no need.” Duke Kelswa smiled slightly. The unfamiliar expression looked strange on his face. “I have already done so.”

“I’ll leave it in your hands then,” Kevin answered and then turned away. I need to speak to father, he thought, afraid that his concern might show on his face. Is this the two of them simply acting responsibly as my regents or... or are they undermining me?

Danderson City, Persistance
7 April 2578

Henry Gram could not help but compare Charlotte Grimm-Davion to the late Archon.

She was younger of course – by more than a decade was his guess – and had more the prettiness of youth than the classic Steiner beauty of Viola Steiner-Dinesen. There was also an apparent  softness – the Archon’s demeanor had always been cool and perhaps even ascetic while this was clearly a woman with both respect and interest in the luxuries of her position – silks and furs gave both her garb and her temporary throne a barbaric splendour.

“Welcome, your highness, to the Lyran city of Danderson.” Gram bowed his head, knowing that his uniform and mature dignitas would display the difference between his own civilisation and what passed for it in these ‘Outer Reaches’ as they called it. Harkening back to the liberation of colonies from the Terran Alliance on the early twenty-third century no doubt.

“I suppose it would not be diplomatic to point how far you’ve made yourselves welcome,” she replied wryly. “Your point is valid however: the battle here was won by the late Archon Steiner.”

An adequate counter-point. Perhaps the Oberonian was more accomplished than she appeared. Gram had no similar victory to claim. “Perhaps in light of that victory you bring news that the former Rim Worlds Republic has come to its senses and is now willing to accept the benevolent guidance of the Star League.”

Charlotte almost laughed. “The Star League might well be benevolent. Our histories are... mixed, shall we say... on that point. It would be hard to call it triumphant given their defeats at Estuan and New Samarkand, not to mention a dozen or so other skirmishes. And perhaps you’re not aware that there has been a defection?”

“A defection?”

“Ah. Word has reached my agents via Marian League. Communications there are still not what they once were but news has spread like lightning that Prince Davion – my own kinsman by marriage – has made a private peace with House Calderon.”

The Margrave shook his head. “That seems rather an incredible statement, your highness. Prince Davion...”

“Ah, the news will no doubt reach you through official channels sooner or later.” And when it did, it would underscore Charlotte’s advantage in communications. The HPG network through the Outer Reaches remained a patchwork but a long leg down to Finmark, only recently restored to rule from Apollo, had at last been completed. “One suspects that Cameron’s complicity in the overthrow of Ursula Liao has damaged his moral authority.”

Gram knew that she saw the flare of ambition in his eyes. Still, for form’s face he demurred. “Not all realms suffer from such internal dissension.”

“Oh, I know. But the fact that you are here shows that despite the drastic measures of Viola Steiner, that the Lyran Commonwealth is not amongst such realms. Otherwise you would be on Tharkad, seeking to undermine the Dinesen’s influence over the young Archon. You can hardly expect me to ignorant of the splits in the Commonwealth during this era and you are recorded as being at the heart of them.”

“If you know me so well... then what do you expect of me?”

“You desire that the provinces of the old Protectorate of Donegal no longer be exploited by the wealthier worlds of Tamar and Skye. Alexander Davion, perhaps the greatest Prince to ever rule the Federated Suns, chose to break with the Star League rather than see his realm used as a battlefield between the Terrans and the Taurians. Surely you see that now that the Outer Reaches are no longer held back by the quisling House Amaris it is Donegal that will become the place of confrontation between myself and the carpetbaggers of House Lestrade and House Kelswa.”

“You’re flattering me,” Gram accused , although without heat. “Implying that to follow Davion’s example would place me on a level with him in prestige. Do you imagine that such a suggestion would spur me to treason?”

“I think that Viola’s decision to imprison you was spur enough. The question is: does this give you an avenue through which you can pursue your ideals?”

Gram cleared his throat, knowing that the sound might as well have been a spoken answer. Maybe it did. “The idea of tearing Donegal away from the Commonwealth only to subject it to the rule of Oberon or Apollo is not my ideal.”

“No more so does New Avalon bow to Taurus.” Charlotte followed that truth with a lie: “I have no need to seek conquests in the Inner Sphere. The Outer Reaches can expand almost without limit towards the core of the galaxy. I would welcome an ally along my rimwards border.”

“The Lyran Commonwealth is both rimward and spinward of the old borders of the Rim Worlds,” probed the Margrave.

“Yes. But I speak for the Outer Reaches. The populations of the worlds spinwards of your borders have been quite hostile towards my government. Sadly it would seem that I could not consider them allies. Most regrettable.”

In other words, the Outer Reaches would not cut off Donegal from expanding in that direction. Henry Gram smiled. “It would be very much preferable to shed no more blood in struggling for these worlds if our differences can be settled diplomatically.”

“How very enlightened of you, Lord Gram. Would you like me to call for tea?”

Terra, Terran Hegemony
10 April 2578

Ian nodded in understanding of what Aldo Lestrade was saying to him. “I recognise your concerns, Duke Lestrade. Certainly no one wants the Lyran economy to suffer when our goal is prosperity for all.”

“I appreciate your understanding, sir,” the duke replied gracefully.

Ian glanced over at Shandra. “I was thinking that the new assault dropship programme could be expanded – we’ve put a lot of attention into our warships, but we need escorts as well.”

His wife nodded. “Without offering offense to the Shipil Yards at Skye or the Commonwealth’s own warships, dropships can simply be built in so many yards that this would provide benefit across several Lyran worlds rather than only one or two. “

“The logic makes sense.” Aldo crossed his legs. “What is this new assault dropship?”

Ian typed a code into his terminal, unlocking the secure directory. “I believe that I have the last report here. Ah yes. Project Achilles. We’d begun it several years ago once it became clear that modified transports weren’t going to be sufficient in combat roles. The original design was for a four and a half thousand ton dropship with engines capable of sustaining up to six gravities of acceleration.”

“That’s more than most aerospace fighters!”

“Quite. The goal was to have something that could intercept fighter formations before they closed in on SLDF convoys. However, we’re revising it to provide additional missile defense. The Star League Navy will need hundreds of them. I trust that that will satisfy the needs of the Lyran economy?”

“It sounds splendid,” agreed Lestrade. “I’m sure the Archon will be much relieved.” He glanced at the schematics on display. “I hope that this doesn’t pose a problem in terms of technological transfer?”

Shandra smiled. “Not at all. That law states that none of us can be forced to share our technology, but it does not say that we cannot provide it if we wish to. And the Terran Hegemony stands with its allies.”

“As does the Lyran Commonwealth. We have had some optimistic reports from Margrave Gram on Trell One. Given recent history,” Lestrade added in qualification. “I think it’s reasonable to say that we may have control of Treeline by the summer. From there we can hit Toland, which is only one jump from Apollo.”

Ian nodded. “That will be excellent news.  Let us hope that the campaign is successful. Bringing the Outer Reaches into the Star League would be excellent news.” He rubbed his hands. “We have some hope of harming the Canopian war effort as well. It’s too early to say for sure but this may prove to be a good year after all."

“After last year, Lord Cameron, we could all do with a good year.”

Outside the conference room, Lestrade was surprised to see the First Lord’s heir waiting. “Your parents will be along shortly, Lieutenant Cameron,” he told Nicholas, spotting the badges on the young man’s uniform, marking him as an officer in the Star Guards’ battalion stationed at the capital. While principle said that the next First Star Lord should be receiving actual experience on the frontlines, the current situation was so confused that Aldo could understand his being kept close for now.

“Thank you sir, but I was hoping to speak to you.”

“You were?” Lestrade considered him for a moment. “Well as long as your Captain won’t come looking for you.”

Nicholas smiled slightly. “I do have a legitimate reason to be here, sir. I promise I’m not hiding from the never-ending duties heaped upon junior officers.”

“It’s character-forming and totally necessary,” the Duke assured him. “After all, as a senior officer – much worse, as a noble ruler – you will find it only gets worse.”

“How wonderful to have something to look forward to.” Nicholas fell in stride with Lestrade as they walked out into the huge atrium of the building. An ornamental fish pond filled the centre of the room, lit by sunlight through the glass roof. “How is the Archon coping.”

“As well as can be expected.”

“That poorly?”

The duke shook his head. “The start of a reign is always difficult. Tragic as his mother’s death was, starting with regents is allowing Kevin to come to terms with his new responsibilities one step at a time.”

“I’m sure that that’s a great comfort to him,” agreed Nicholas thoughtfully. “I want to get off to a good start with Archon Steiner-Dinesen. After all, while I hope not to start my own reign as precipitously has he has, I do expect to be working with him for many years to come.”

“Is that a hope for him, or a warning?”

The younger man did not flinch. “A little of both. History shows that any regency will be an unstable arrangement. The Star League is an alliance between not only the nations but also between the Great Houses that rule them.”

“With all due respect, Lieutenant, your father’s policies suggest that he is not beyond partiality towards particular members of a Great House.”

Nicholas nodded. “That is precisely my point: from his perspective -” Lestrade noticed how the young man distanced himself from the decision. “- he allowed an internal matter of House Liao to resolve itself because in the end the result was a stronger Capellan Confederation. However, the removal of a dynasty could do nothing but destabilise a realm and that would not, in his view, benefit the Star League.”

“It seems a rather fine hair to split.”

“I’m told that politics is like that occasionally.”

“Every now and again,” conceded Lestrade. “Fortunately I can assure you that matters on Tharkad are quite stable and I will be more than happy to relinquish the burdens of office to Kevin Steiner-Dinesen when the time comes. My own responsibilities take up a more than adequate amount of my time as things stand and Duke Kelswa and I are quite aware that we owe our positions to the gratitude of Robert Steiner for our support against Margaret Olsen. A conflict in which your Deborah Cameron was quite partial, I believe.”

“I can assure you that the diplomats sent by grandmother to mediate were only doing their best to seek a peaceful resolution of their conflict. It was surely a coincidence that the ceasefire while they tried to avoid bloodshed bought the time necessary for Duke Reynold’s reinforcements to reach Tamar and swing the balance of power in the favour of the rightful Archon,” Nicholas promised him with a straight face.

“And perhaps it was. Because one lesson to remember in politics, Lieutenant, is that whatever turns out well from your actions is what you had in mind all along. The truth is a flexible thing in the courts of government.”

Terra, Terran Hegemony
11 April 2578

“I’m sorry Ian but I really can’t spare any more warships at this time,” the Captain-General explained apologetically. “We lost almost every major warship we had last Christmas or at Tellman’s Mistake. We have new ships under construction but I can’t pull anything free until the end of the year.”

“I’m not asking for your refitted ships.” Ian Cameron spread his hands. “If you can even free up older corvettes and destroyers we’ll refit them for you. But we’re weakening the defense around Terra in order to concentrate an offensive force. And you know how important the yards here are to the war effort. The SLDF needs some sort of fleet here.”

Marik shook his head. “We already handed over dozens of ships when the SLDF formed and we need to cover our own shipyards as well. We’re on the frontlines, First Lord. Bracketed by the Canopians and the Marians. If I can’t maintain the confidence of Parliament, then they might decide that Alexander had the right idea. I don’t need to spell out how much of a disaster that would be for the Star League.”

“Is that a threat?”

“No, Coordinator. It’s a warning. I’m doing everything in my power to hold the Star League together.” He sighed. “Look, I can pry some more regiments free from some of the provinces and transports for them. Would that help?”

Cameron sighed. “It would help in the operation to bring the Federated Suns back into the Star League, Ian. So yes. But we still need more ships from somewhere.”

Hehiro Kurita leant back in his chair. “My own forces stand ready to assist in operations against the Federated Suns but any ships diverted to the protection of Terra would have to come from those currently on that front. The embarrassment of a foreign invader setting foot on New Samarkand cannot be repeated.”

“How about moving some of the ships currently around Rasalhague?” suggested Aldo Lestrade. “Your new capital is more than five hundred light years from the war, surely you can strip a few squadrons from there.”

“That Grand Duke will remember that Rasalhague is no great distance from the Rim Worlds Republic. A region that your own forces have yet to subdue. Under those circumstances, the security around my family must be the tightest.”

Ian Cameron shook his head. “Gentlemen, please. We all agree that the Star League is important but I don’t expect any of you to strip your capitals. That would ask too much. The invasion of the Federated Suns won’t be possible for months, at best. Lord Hehiro, if you would be willing to station some of your ships over Terra this autumn and winter, it would be gratefully received. I know that deploying them before then would strain their logistics unacceptably.”

“Do we have news on Canopus?” asked Alistair Liao curiously.

“General Kincaid should have departed by now,” answered the First Star Lord. “The official story is that her Corps is embarking for St Ives to prepare to relieve General Wexford’s remaining garrisons.”

“The truth is that they are scheduled to rendezvous with Eighth Fleet in an unoccupied system near Dalton in the Oriente Federation. If all goes well they’ll jump into the Canopian system early in June.”

“And if all does not go well?”

“Then a little later. I have every confidence in Amalthia Kincaid.”

“Let’s hope so. Everything rides on this victory.” Ian Marik shook his head. “This is unnatural, you know. War isn’t supposed to be this way – a few key battles that everything else hangs upon and otherwise nothing but eerie silence! It’s...” He looked for words and only found one that he had used already. “...unnatural.”

“Constant battles would lead only to expensive attrition,” Ian Cameron replied. “Losing a ‘Mech or two in a skirmish is forgivable, but losing a destroyer or a cruiser that will take a year to replace? That’s harder to excuse even with the sort of fleets that are forming up. Thus, warships are only being committed in numbers where they are expected to accomplish great things. Estuan. New Samarkand. Canopus.”

“Warships are expensive.” Ian Marik cupped his hands. “But they are also, from battles so far, quite fragile under certain circumstances. Certain of my officers are suggesting that a defensive fleet might be more effective if it had more... expendable assets.”

“I’m not sure what you mean.”

“How long do you think it would take to convert a freight dropship to carry... oh, three or four naval missile launchers?”

“Converted merchantmen wouldn’t last more than a few minutes under the guns of a warship!”

“But a hundred dropships could launch quite a few missiles in those minutes. How many nuclear missiles does it take to destroy a warship?”

“Nuclear warheads are expensive...”

“Far cheaper than warship crews and hulls,” pointed out Hehiro.

Alistair Liao leant forwards. “I like this idea. Let the Taurians have a taste of their own medicine.”

The Duke of Skye said nothing, his eyes calculating.

“I’ll talk to the naval yards,” Ian Cameron said thoughtfully.

Avalon City, New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Suns
15 April 2578

“I’m impressed by your report.”

Alexander stared out of the window of the briefing room, as he had through the entire presentation by Pitcairn. It was Vincent Davion who sat at the desk and delivered the response:

“I realise that you were put in a difficult position, operating behind the borders of the Periphery March while we negotiated peace but your report confirms to us that they have a degree of military strength that the Star League could not have subdued. You’re to be congratulated simply for having survived such a dangerous mission.”

“Thank you sir.” Pitcairn answered after a moment. “I understand that the Second Guards have been deployed to the border with the Capellan Confederation. May I have permission to rejoin them?”

Vincent shook his head. “I’m afraid not, Colonel.”

So I’m a scapegoat for the mission, sacrificed to appease the Arch-Duchess of Filtvet. Pitcairn wasn’t entirely surprised by the notion but however much he’d thought himself prepared, it still dug deep into him.

“Colonel...” Was Alexander’s voice thinner than Pitcairn remembered from all those months ago. “I cannot apologise enough for having sent you on this mission. I only hope that your new assignment makes up for it in some way.”

“My... new assignment, sir?”

“Yes. Vincent...”

“Among the information we’ve received from our future kinswoman is that by the thirty-first century the Davion Guards included not only the five regiments of our own era but also three specialised regiments: the Light, Heavy and Assault Guards regiments. Since we are no longer constrained by the arms limitation treaties of the Star League, it has been decided to add them to the Brigade of Guards’ roster.”

“It has? No offense, sir, but I’d have thought that building up the FSN would take priority. I mean – my mechwarriors and I didn’t even manage to reach the surface.”

“You’re right and Commodore Elliott will be playing a major role in that. However it will take years to restructure the AFFS towards that and ground forces will still play an important role in our defence.” The Prince Imperial smiled smugly. “And the expense will not be met by our treasury: the Archduchess of Filtvet has donated a large number of BattleMechs with which to equip them. These will be the first AFFS regiments equipped with these advanced BattleMechs and you’ll be taking command of the Davion Light Guards.”

“Sir, I have a couple of... requirements if I’m to do this.”

“Do you mean demands, Colonel?”

“Respectfully, sir.”

“I see.” Vincent looked over at his father who nodded slightly. “Alright Colonel. What do you... require?”

“Firstly, I’d like to bring all my people from this mission. I already handpicked them and I’ll need their expertise to form the regiment.”

“As you wish. And secondly?”

“Sir, I want a free hand. The current combat environment – the battlespace, if you will – isn’t what we’re training our soldiers for. The age of the long, elegant campaigns is over. Battles will be faster and more deadly now, influenced as much by events in orbit above them as by success on the ground.”

“And you think you have the answers?” asked Vincent. “Are you sure you aren’t letting your future reputation affect your judgement?”

“My future reputation?” Pitcairm raised his eyebrows. “What reputation would that be?”

His response was a dry chuckle from Alexander and a chastened look from Prince Vincent. “It would seem that I owe my father five pounds and you an apology, Colonel Pitcairn. You’re unaware that in the history of the periphery you played a major role in the Outworlds campaign and later founded one of our major military academys?”

“It hadn’t come up.” Then the corner of his mouth turned up. “So that battleship we crossed paths with really was named after a version of me. I guess that I have a lot to live up to.”

“Try not to let it go to your head, Colonel,” Vincent advised. “Many of us don’t plan to follow the paths set out in that history.”

Dundee, New Scotland
New Avalon, Federated Suns
17 April 2758

Ursula Liao found it somewhat ironic that her current refuge was an estate owned by Terril Davion. The septagenarian (and formally unacknowledged) cousin of the First Prince had once been a contender for the hand of Chancellor Salicia Liao. Had the marriage not foundered on a lack of ambition on the part of Terril and lack of desire by Ursula’s second cousin once-removed, neither she nor her treacherous brother would have been in the line to be Chancellor and Terril might well have ruled the Federated Suns.

Instead he was content to tend to his gardens on the northern-most continent of New Avalon and steer clear of politics. The disappearance the Varnay court-in-exile along with every other 26th century resident of Turin (now part of the Magistracy of Canopus) had cut most of his ties to the Capellan Confederation but Lord Terril remained familiar with the customs of the Capellan Court and had extended every courtesy to its Chancellor-in-Exile.

In this case he bowed deeply before entering the garden grotto where Ursula was studying reports from her former realm over a glass of strong Turkish coffee. “Good day, Lady Liao. It seems that you have some visitors.”

“Really?” She saw no one and concluded that Terril was advising her in advance, so that she prepare herself to meet them. “Might I ask who has come to call?”

Terrill nodded his head. “Why of course. Two representatives from the Magistracy of Canopus. One Yuki Bakura who has diplomatic credentials and her aide, Ning-ti Liao who I must say holds himself like a military man. A mechwarrior, unless I miss my guess.”

“A mechwarrior named Liao?”

“Quite so. My security is checking their bona fides.” Terril glanced around. “Would you like to meet them here.”

Ursula ignored the veiled reference to the fact that the hedges conveniently concealed from view a pair of her bodyguard detail who had followed her into exile. “As good a place as any,” she agreed, closing up her remote computer terminal and slipping it back into the valise that she used to transport it. “Unless of course, it would inconvenience you.”

“Oh not at all.” The lord smiled slightly. “I’m sure I can fill my time protecting my ivy from your ladies in waiting.”

The chancellor laughed lightly. Her senior attendant was mildly allergic to ivy and had been making quiet efforts to strip it from the walls around the wing of the mansion that housed Ursula’s rooms, even though there was no actual need for her to come into contact with the plant.

A few moments after Terril had taken his leave, Ursula’s aide escorted a short, silver-haired woman and a tall, lean man of more obviously asian appearance. Both seemed quite young to hold important office, but Ursula had learned that the appearance youth among those from the thirty-first century could be deceptive.

“Chancellor Liao,” the woman said and bowed her head slightly. “I am Ambassador Bakura, representing both her royal highness Magestrix Savitri Centrella of Canopus and her serene highness Duchess Ehlana Centrella of Andurien.”

Ursula hoped that the sting of the reference to Andurien, which her father had gone to such extremes to regain for the Capellan Confederation only for it to be torn away once more by the vagaries of the universe. “Ambassador,” she said in a neutral tone.

Ambassador Bakura gestured to her companion who offered a deeper bow. “And may I present to you Colonel Liao of the Magistracy Army.”

“You may indeed. I presume your name is no coincidence, Colonel?”

Ning-ti nodded. “A somewhat distant kinship via a twenty-ninth century Chancellor of the Confederation.  Effectively meaningless since 3025 of course.”

“Ah yes. The Battle of Sian and the subsequent partition of the Confederation.”

“That does rather bring us to the topic of conversation,” Bakura stated. “As you can imagine, the notion of carving up the Capellan Confederation isn’t poorly received on Atreus, Taurus or even here on New Avalon. I don’t believe that Prince Alexander has any specific plans for this, but since he’s at war with your brother...”

“And how does your Magestrix feel about this?”

“Quite frankly, the Magestrix went to great lengths eight years ago in her attempts to come to some sort of negotiated peace with the Capellan Confederation even following the atrocities that the Chancellor had ordered. She would very much prefer that the Confederation survive but of course that is rather contingent on their being willing to break away from the Star League.”

Ursula couldn’t help but laugh bitterly. “Oh I think you can count on my standing firmly against Ian Cameron’s little club but I’m not precisely in any position to execute that policy.”

“That, Madame Chancellor, is where Colonel Liao comes in.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Colonel?”

“As you might imagine there are quite a number of former CCAF soldiers resident in the Duchy of Andurien and to a lesser extent the Magistracy’s Andermax District. My own command, the Third Andermax Volunteers is almost entirely made up of such soldiers in fact. If you are willing to accept us then General McCarron had confirmed that he will permit me to lead my command and an equivalent number of volunteers equipped at Canopian expense to support your cause.”

“Two regiments of BattleMechs while valuable would not really change the strategic equation,” she pointed out.

Bakura raised one finger. “There are also a number of Capellan soldiers and spacemen serving with the SLDF who are now in Canopian or Filtvet prison camps. Her royal highness has declared herself willing to release her prisoners to your custody and is currently negotiating the same for those in the keeping of Archduchess Calderon-Davion. We are also willing to loan you the funds to purchase certain warships of the Canopian Navy Royal that are currently facing decommissioning. While not the equal of truly modern vessels, they are direct copies of pre-war Terran designs so they should compare rather well with your brother’s fleet.”

“Quite an expensive loan to make. How many ships are you talking about?” Her mind was already correlating which elements of the CCAF might be convinced to side with her if she made a suitable show of force.

Ning-ti handed over a computer disk. “The exact details are here, Madame Chancellor. But in summary, the Magestrix is offering you eight Farragut-class battleships, none of them more than six years old.”

“I... don’t know what to say.”

The colonel smiled slightly. A handsome man, Ursula admitted to herself. “I would suggest saying ‘I accept’, if it wouldn’t be too presumptious of me.”

Grimm Keep, Oberon VI
Oberon Confederation, Outer Reaches
7 May 2578

The medieval trappings of Grimm Keep did not prevent it from housing a completely modern command centre. From here links stretched out via HPG links to every world that answered to Oberon, links that could convey orders to any of hundreds of military or naval forces.

Hakim Wbika had seen such arrangements many times of course but the scope and scale of this were on a par with what he imagined that the larger states of the Inner Sphere utilised. The central mapping plot covered a region that stretched from Rasalhague in the Draconis Combine out to clusters hundreds of light years beyond any map he had seen before.

“The Chainelane Isles?” he asked, pointing at the map. “And the Hanseatic League? Is her majesty keeping secrets?”

“Naturally,” replied Katherine Dormax. “Although not this one. Those states existed in the thirty-first century but they haven’t been settled in this time and for some reason they weren’t brought back in time. Their location is restricted information outside of the Confederation – only the Senate Intelligence Commitee was briefed, in case the SLDF rolled over us and we needed to evacuate the leadership to a final refuge. Well, the leaders and a support structure to keep them alive in exile.”

Wbika frowned. “That would be terrible for morale.”

“Oh don’t worry. If it came to that, the support structure would be well armed and the retreating leadership would be able to take up productive roles as agricultural serfs since I doubt they’d have any other useful skills in a barebones colony.”

“I never thought that you were a closet revolutionary, Colonel. Well, not until Apollo I suppose. So what can you tell me about the defences here? I don’t have to tell you how critical the Oberon Confederation’s factories are to the war effort.”

“At the moment we have two BattleMech regiments, three tank regiments and five infantry regiments here on Oberon VI and the same on Blackstone, protecting both MechWorks facilities. What mostly worries me is the warship cover – all we have there is light pickets – armed dropships and a couple of Pinto corvettes. Most of the fleet assets we have are at Star’s End, which is far too close to the Lyrans. If they ever hit us in force we only have twenty warships and all but one of our heavy ships are restored Dart cruisers we bought from the Hegemony in the first place.”

“You’re turning into quite the naval strategist,” observed Wbika. “I thought that I was the Admiral.”

“Everyone will be thinking in terms of warships these days, sir. Let’s be honest: as far as the Star League is concerned we’re a sideshow. The Battle of Estuan had both sides committing around a hundred warships. That’s half a peacetime navy in a single conflict – more warships than the Rim Worlds had in their entire history unless you count crude armed jumpships. The time when Battlemech regiments decided the course of a war are over and done with.”

“And we don’t have many, do we?” Wbika sighed. “Out manuvered again. I must be getting old.”

Katherine frowned. “I don’t understand, sir.”

“Her Majesty Queen Charlotte is our Foreign Minister now. Any victory won for us can only be through negotiations and thus, it is she who will earn accolades from them. If she can persuade the Lyrans to make peace with us then she’ll have the Senate eating out of her hands.”

CCS Jade Dragon, Pirate Jump Point
Sian, Capellan Confederation
28 May 2578

The Capellan warships guarding the jump point were fully aware that the Canopians possessed Terran-design battleships so the unscheduled arrival of one was met with insistent demands for authentication and the launch of aerospace fighters. While they might have expected to see the Cameron Star or the emblem of the Magistracy upon the bow, they never expected to see instead the hand and saber of the Capellan Confederation, painted in green.

And then a second ship arrived – and a third and fourth. Even with dozens of armed dropships rushing up from the surface to reinforce the defenders, the situation plainly did not favour them.

“This is Chancellor Ursula Liao.” The transmission came as a fifth battleship jumped into the system. “I have come to remove the Terran puppet Alistair Liao from power and restore the independence of the Capellan Confederation.”

“Lady Liao,” replied Captain Wheatley of the CCS Pulverizer. “Little as I like to address you in this disrespectful fashion, you have been deposed. Alistair Liao is now the duly elected Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.” He wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about saying that: even one of those battleships outmassed his destroyer and its divisionmate, CCS Vanquisher.

The face on video that accompanied the spoken message did not relinquish her composure. “There are three flaws in that arguement, Captain Wheatley.”

“Firstly, Chancellors are elected for life. The Prefectorate never had the authority to strip me of office. For Alistair Liao to hold the title he claims would require me to die. And since I still live, my brother is clearly both a fraud and incompetent.”

She couldn’t really be condemning her own brother for his inability to murder her, could she?

“That incompetence is the second flaw in your argument. The Capellan Confederation has benefited from years of good government and increasing prosperity. Under the illegal regieme you are endeavouring to justify, the Confederation has been dragged into a losing war while House Marik and House Davion have failed to make progress at.”

Wheatley waited for the third point but Ursula seemed content to let the moment last as a Leviathan jumpship arrived at the jump point. It appeared to be carrying at least three large dropships as well as four smaller ones. Troop transports?

“I believe you had three flaws in my argument, Lady Liao.”

“Indeed. Captain.”

It was plainly not the captain of the Pulverizer that she was addressing.

“Missiles!” A technican shouted out. “Five capital missiles incoming.”

“Prepare firing solution!” barked Wheatley, gripping the arms of his chair. With such a small salvo, it might well be that the invaders were using nuclear weapons to brush his ships aside. “Missile defense!”

Through the slit windows of his command deck there were five flashes of light, neatly spaced one second after another.

“The missiles exploded, sir!”

“Our defences?” he asked.

“No sir, they never came into engagement range.”

Wheatley turned his attention back to viewscreen to where Ursula Liao was watching him calmly. “I take it that that was your third point... Madame Chancellor.”

“Quite so.” Her smile had widened slightly at the use of the title.

“Your logic is insurmountable,” Wheatley agreed. “No doubt your admiral will have orders for me as to how your warships Pulverizer and Vanquisher are to join your formation?”

“I’m sure he will,” Ursula agreed and cut the connection.

“That went well,” Ning-ti observed from where he had been standing out of the camera’s line of sight.

She nodded. “It did. If the planetary authorities fall into line as easily then Sian will make an excellent base from which to gather forces against Alistair.”

Even with the government removed to Capella, Sian remained an important industrial world. It was also the logical command centre for the forces being amassed to invade the Magistracy of Canopus. Some of those regiments and ships might decide to fight for Alistair, but others would probably prefer to side with Ursula than be flung into a Canopian offensive as cannon fodder for the SLDF.

Even if Ursula failed to retake her throne, she’d almost certainly do enough damage that the Capellan Confederation would be functionally out of the war for months. It was the sort of war that Magestrix Centrella liked best: fought on foreign soil and with only the tiniest investment of troops and equipment on her part. A Capellan civil war was a war that Canopus could not lose.

It was up to Ning-ti to make sure that as few of his countrymen lost as possible. It didn’t occur to him that he’d slipped back to thinking of himself as being Capellan again.

Terra Prime, Apollo
29 May 2578

Charlotte watched the Senate settle into their places. Of course she was technically one of them now. That had been trivially easy to arrange since the Oberon commitment to democracy was no more than paper thin. Many would vote for her simply because she was a known quantity, some would vote for her in the reasonable expectation that a district voting for her could expect a return in additional government subsidies and contracts; and if any of those had failed then there were always the ‘voting districts’ of as of yet uncolonised sections of one planet or another where she was the default landowner and could have been the sole person capable of casting a vote.

‘Rotten boroughs’ had a long and honourable tradition in democracy, or so her husband had taught her. There were some honestly elected senators but according to the reports of her Rangers they were well short of making up the majority.

“Honoured Senators,” the speaker announced. “The Foreign Minister, Senator Charlotte Grimm, has requested that today’s agenda be deferred in favour of new business. Does this have your approval?”

There was no protest, which passed for ‘agreed’ in Charlotte’s book. Normally she discussed her actions as the Foreign Minister with a select committee of Senators rather than all of them.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Lyran Margrave Gram has agreed to withdraw his ground forces from Treeline and Persistence.” In fact except for a token presence – largely SLDF regiments - he already had done. He had other uses for those soldiers.

She let the ripple of surprise through the room before continuing. “This is not an official settlement that has the approval of Tharkad and we are not at peace, but the Margrave has been persuaded that continuing to hammer at two border worlds is not going to serve his ambitions.”

“With respect, Minister.” The senator speaking slightly emphasised that title. Ministers were answerable to the Senate, at least that was the theory of the current unstable arrangement of government. “How do we know that he won’t use those forces to attack us elsewhere.”

“I would say that that is slightly more likely than the alterative, Senator. That is why agents among his forces are reporting in regularly. In the event that the Margrave does take such an action, a substantial portion of our fleet is shadowing him. Minister Wbika assures me that it would be childishly easy to entrap him if he makes a bid to resume the attack.”

“The less likely, but potentially more rewarding choice on his part – for our Republic and for the Margrave’s ambitions – would be for him to do otherwise.”

Charlotte paused again and sure enough, someone queried her.

“What else would he do? His orders are to invade us. Doing anything else would simply have him removed by the Archon and the First Lord.”

“And if he declined to be removed?”

“That would be treason!”

“Only against the Archon. And only if he fails.” Charlotte’s smile was graphic reminder to the senators of her ancestral profession: “Remember the old saying: treason never prospers for if it does then none dare name it treason.”

Katherine Siever, a cousin of Charlotte’s former co-consul, rose to her feet. “You have no right to set foreign policy in this manner without the direction of the Senate.”

“I’m the Foreign Minister, Senator. This very Senate elected me to that position when they created it. Perhaps you could remind me of where in that process you set limits on the authority of my office?” She smiled. “Now you can, if you wish, propose that I be relieved of the position. But think how foolish it would seem for you to strip the woman who has saved the Outer Reaches from invasion of her position. You’d be a laughing stock.”

“Minister Wbika assures me that if Margrave Gram is indeed moving his forces towards the interior of the Lyran Commonwealth then it will be trivially easy to organise attacks on the basing areas where the rest of his forces – the SLDF regiments and the Archon’s loyalists – are stationed. With their supplies diverted to Gram’s positions, they will be easily disposed of and our borders will be secure. The Lyran Commonwealth will suffer a debilitating civil war, the Draconis Combine is still recovering from the invasion of their capital and no one else is close enough to matter.”

Charlotte’s expression was for once open. “Or is your complaint, Senator, not that the Republic has been saved but that it was by my hand? Because I don’t see that you have been doing anything since you were elected except feathering your nest... at least according to the Minister of the Interior’s police reports. Isn’t it fortunate that senatorial status protects you from prosecution, at least until you’re impeached.”

Other senators drew away from Siever as if she had suddenly contracted the plague.

The Queen of Oberon smiled wolfishly. “Honorable senators, I cede the floor to Minister Pierre Kosigan to discuss a petition for the impeachment of Senator Siever in light of recent evidence implicating her in the appointment of undercover LIC and H-CID agents to offices of authority within the Outer Reaches.”

If she couldn’t be Queen of all the Outer Reaches, Charlotte would settle for Minister – just as long as it was understood that she was the first amongst Ministers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:09:56 AM by drakensis »

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »

The Triad, Tharkad City
3 June 2578

Kevin jerked awake as the door of his room opened sharply, spilling light across the bedchamber. “What?” he exclaimed muzzily reaching towards the bedside table where – on the insistence of his father – he kept a sidearm.

“There’s no time!” the guard who entered announced urgently. “We have to leave!”

“I don’t... It’s only three in the morning!”

Before the guard – one of his father’s retainers from Coventry – could speak, the sound of automatic weapons fire brushed any vestige of sleep from Kevin’s mind. “Never mind,” he responded and scrambled out of bed before crouching to retreive the small bag stashed beneath it. “Tell me as we go.”

They both moved – but not in the same direction. “Where are you going?” the man asked, frustration in his voice as he realised Kevin was not following him towards the door. “Archon we have to...”

Kevin pressed a carving on the fireplace and a wall panel slid open. “I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not escape towards a firefight,” he pointed out and stepped inside.

With a muttered curse the guard stepped forwards towards the entrance and then halted as a red dot appeared on his chest. “My father brief all our real security on this passage,” Kevin told him. “But in case your memory’s faulty what is today’s counter-sign.”

In an awe-inspiring display of speed, the man almost had his pistol pointed in the right direction before the first slug from the shotgun concealed just inside the passage blew his chest open. Hands automatically following long and repetitive training, Kevin moved the muzzle to follow the falling body and fired another shot – buckshot this time - into the unprotected throat, just in case of body armour.

More shots sounded from outside of his bedroom and breathing deeply Kevin backed up further into the passage, closing the door behind him. Fortunately he could have navigated the passage in his sleep and was halfway down a stairway hidden in the Triad’s massively reinforced structure when he realised that he had left the bag with his escape kit in it where he had dropped it on taking up the shotgun.

It was too late to go back. Wearing only his pyjamas and carrying a shotgun, the young Archon padded down almost to the bottom of the steps before pausing and uncovering a small eye-piece in the wall. Via a periscope this allowed him to examine the room he was about to enter.

“What?” he murmered on seeing the occupants: his twin brother and two of the young noblewomen that they had danced with the previous evening. Duke Kelswa’s daughters, no less. But there was no party atmosphere in the room. Two men in LCAF uniforms stood over the three young people, deadly looking submachine guns in their hands.

Kevin bit his lip, judging the angles. If he was right then neither soldier was covering the hidden panel leading into the room. Of course, the fact that the soldiers were there suggested that the room wasn’t a safe one.

The urge to take a different exit shamed him deeply but... he was the Archon. Was it not his duty to escape whatever coup was taking place? To provide continuity to the government? He wasn’t even a soldier!

For a long moment he looked at Mark, at Micaela and Charlotte Kelswa. He wondered where Sarah was. Had she been captured too or...

Then Kevin swallowed and started unloading the magazine of his shotgun. He’d need a very specific load for this and the alternating buck and ball loadout wouldn’t quite suit.

Mark Steiner felt humiliated. He’d been on the toilet when the soldiers burst into his room and he knew that the urine on his pants must be easy enough for others to smell. The Kelswa girls must think I’m a coward, he thought.

Another part of him contended that there were more vital concerns than worrying about impressing girls. If Kevin wasn’t here did that mean that he had escaped? Or was he lying on the floor somewhere like... His mind sheered away from the possibility, as did his eyes, looking up at a panel in the wall. If the soldiers had only been confident enough to leave guards outside! He could open the secret passage and all three of them could have fled, leaving their captors none-the-wiser.

But no. And Mark was realistic enough to realise that the two combat-hardened soldiers would be more than a match for three unarmed teenagers, particularly when they had no opportunity to plan their attack.

And then the wall panel slid open and he caught a brief view of Kevin’s face before the muzzle-flash of a shotgun half-blinded Mark.

It did more than half-blind the first soldier: at close range the buckshot had only spread out a few inches and the man’s quick reaction in turning to face the new thread meant that Kevin managed to place the full load between chin-strap and helmet-rim.

That still left one soldier and his SMG was whipping around with deadly speed.

An instant before the gun could fire its deadly load of flechettes into Kevin, Mark threw himself against the gun arm and deflected the shot. The soldier was knocked off his feet but managed to bring the boy down on top of himself.

For a second, perhaps three, they struggled – the soldier trying to get his gun free to shoot, Kevin trying to draw a clean shot at him without hitting his brother. The two of them fired almost at the same time and the soldier screamed in agony as the twelve-gauge slug slammed into his leg just below the cover of his flak-vest.

Mark went limp abruptly and for a moment Kevin thought that the shot had somehow hit both of them. Then his brother fell sideways, leaving a bloody trail where the flechettes had torn into his belly.

“Oh god.” Kevin stumbled forwards, trying to step clear of the passage before losing last night’s supper he stumbled over the bodies that lay immediately in front of him and went sprawling. His stomach heaved as he caught himself on both hands, losing his grip on the shotgun, and the Archon vomited across the floor. Gathering scattered wits, he made the mistake of looking to see what he had tripped on.

The glassy eyes of Robert Dinesen and Selvin Kelswa looked back at him.

Although a moment or two must have passed it was only the sharp end of the soldier’s screaming that drew his attention away from the two dead faces and his own hoarse breathing.

Micaela Kelswa had taken the flechette gun and was now removing the muzzle from where it had been pressed between the soldier’s lips. Her sister had turned Mark over and Kevin could see – and smell – the horrid sight of his twin’s perforated intestines spilling out of his body. Mark’s eyes were closed and it was plain that he was no longer breathing.

“We to go,” Micaela told him gently, pulling the flechette gun’s sling over her shoulder. She, like her sister, was wearing only a nightgown. It was horribly incongruous with the setting and the... and the...

And their fathers.

And Mark.

Kevin wanted nothing more than to believe that this was only a dream. A nightmare. But he would settle for not having to look at it again. Besides which, while the lounge was sound-proofed, no doubt the smell would draw attention soon.

“You’re right.” But as he picked up the shotgun again, he had to linger long enough to ask her one question: “Who ordered this?”

“Gram,” she said bitterly. “Margrave Henry Gram.”

He nodded slowly in understanding, committing the fact to memory. “This way. There’s an exit near the hangers and there’s always one or two escape craft ready to go. Some of them will be a little cramped for three of us but we’ll have to manage.”

SLS Callabero, Nadir Jump Point
Canopus star system, Magistracy of Canopus
3 June 2578

General Amalthia Kincaid had been steeled for significant losses in securing the jump point into the Canopian system and was pleasantly surprised to find it was effectively unguarded. Oh there was a recharge station, but that was unarmed and the crew had surrendered immediately. The lone dropship that had been patrolling was now pursuing the better part of valour and making best speed towards Canopus IV. It was probably possible to have a Leopard dropship overhaul the little dropship but there wasn’t any great point. It was’t going to make a difference.

She had arrived with the second wave, more than forty destroyers and corvettes that would provide the escort cover for her transports. Right now the ships were moving away from the jump point, clearing it for the transports. There were hundreds of jumpships about to arrive, carrying the dropships of VIII Corps’ two divisions.

After them would arrive the rear-guard formation of warships, a match for her vanguard: each made up of no less than fifty Quixote missile frigates. That made her forces the largest ever deployed by the Star League for a single operation: more ground forces than Forlough had taken to Niles and more warships than the entire number that had been deployed on the Taurian frontier before Estuan.

“We have an initial report, general.”

Kincaid turned to her intelligence officer. In contrast to the tired old joke, Colonel Samuel Felter was not only a long time intelligence professional, but also smart as a whip. Although short and balding, the Robinson native had also been one of few stars so far of the SLDF’s Intelligence Corps in their handling of the Canopian front. The only reason he’d not vanished the previous Christmas had been that he was making a report to then-General Ian Marik following more than a year inside the Magistracy under cover. Even so it had taken Kincaid’s personal appeal to prevent him from being sidelined after the Federated Suns’ secession, a fate suffered by most Davion officers who had elected not to resign from the SLDF.

“Thank you Sam.” She accepted the data pad he offered and started to page through it. “Can you give me the highlights?”

“Our astronomical data has the usual errors,” Felter began, tacitly confirming the wisdom of arriving at one of the standard jump points rather than risking bringing the fleet through a pirate point. “The fleet’s chief navigator assures me that he will have a refined set of data ready by the time we reach the inner system. Regarding defences, they appear to be concentrated around Canopus itself.”

Kincaid scrolled though the pages. “Duke Marik’s report abou their orbital industries has been borne out then... a twenty-slip shipyard, major dropship construction facilities and all the attendant factories. So these defences...?”

“We believe that we have positively identified almost three hundred orbital weapon platforms so far. Of course others may still be behind Canopus IV itself, or otherwise obscured. Rather small stations but certainly large enough to threaten a landing force. There are also eight warships that largely confirm to the reports of Canopian cruisers seen at Tellman’s Mistake.”

“Only eight?”

“Eight so far. There are several smaller contacts likely to be corvettes of the type seen during the same battle but this has not yet been confirmed. Also numerous dropships, and we must expect that some are in reserve on the surface.”

“More than likely. Canopians seem to have impressive assault dropships.” Kincaid nodded. “We should move in-system. We don’t want to waste time since they will probably call in some reinforcements from nearby systems.”

Felter nodded his head. “Thus far we’ve not heard officially from Canopus. However from the public chennels we’re picking up, the population must be close to that of Terra. It’s hard to imagine that they won’t pull out all the stops.”

“Oh no doubt. I imagine they’ll sound us out, at least as far as the Ares Conventions go.”

“And your orders in that regard?” asked Felter cautiously. The Conventions had been reinstated of course, but there was enough flexibility under them that their implementation was not simply a yes or no question.

Kincaid smiled slightly. “That’s the question of the hour, isn’t it? We’re going to play this straight, Sam, just as long as they do. We’ll put a foothold down outside the cities but in striking range of them. Give them room to come out and meet us. Unless they dig into the cities we won’t go in to root them out... and under no circumstances will we be trying to blast them out.”

Tesseraburg, Franz
4 June 2578

From Tharkad, the three refugees had flown north.

The Typhoon-A – outwardly a museum-piece – had been maintained in perpetual readiness to fly since the death of Robert Steiner, forty-six years before. While slow and lumbering compared to many other aerospace fighters, it was far faster and more agile than the helicopters that Garm’s forces were using to secure the airspace of Tharkad City.

Over the massive glaciers that dominated the northern continents of the Lyran capital the fighter had been able to avoid pursuit and now, half a world away, they were descending into the evening of a deceptive peacefulness.

“Do you think they’ve guessed we’re coming here?”

Kevin considered his answer for a moment and then admitted: “I hope not, Charlotte. But there’s no way to tell for sure except to land. And...” He tapped his fuel gauge. “We must land soon.”

“Then...”

“Then we take our chances. Is that not right, Archon Steiner?”

He looked back and met Micaela’s eyes briefly. “That is correct... Grand Duchess Kelswa.”

“And what then?” asked Charlotte. “Gram must have control of space over Tharkad. We’re trapped.”

“That’s not necessarily the case,” Kevin replied. “He couldn’t have brought many forces with him from the Rim Worlds front and warships would have been very obvious. Most of his forces must be on the ground and he’ll be relying on confusion to keep the warships stationed here neutral. It’s not as if they’d fire on the Triad after all.”

“There are three of the new Valkyrie-class destroyers on orbit.” Micaela glanced upwards. Unlike Charlotte who was crammed in behind the pilot’s chair, she had had to sit across Kevin’s lap in order that all three of them could get into the cockpit so she was plainly visible to him. “They’re fast ships – they can get us to Tamar.”

“If possible, I’d like to get all three of them onside. One to take you both to Tamar, one to warn Duke Lestrade of Gram’s treason and one to take me to Hesperus.”

“Hesperus?” Micaela frowed. “Surely you should come to Tamar with us. We can rally the regiments there against Gram.”

“I can trust the two of you for that. But Gram must control Coventry and now he has Tharkad as well. That leaves him in control over two of our largest BattleMech factories. Taking Hesperus II and the new Defiance Industries factories there would leave us without any major sources of BattleMechs at all. In any extended conflict, contol over Hesperus and over the shipyards at Skye and Tamar will be critical.”

“You’re right,” she agreed. “But Charlotte should go to Skye. There are three of us and three ships.”

He frowned. “But... oh.” It was possible, of course, that not all of the destroyers would escape from the Tharkad system. “Yes, you’re right. We can’t afford to have all our eggs in one basket. Once I’ve secured Hesperus II, we can rendezvous on Arcturus and then plan how to retake Tharkad and oust Gram.”

“This is going to be a long war, isn’t it?”

“Only if we win.” Kevin glanced down at the ground. They were closing in on the planetary militia base he’d picked out, approaching them from low ground where radar wouldn’t pick them out. Nonetheless, they’d be detected soon and hopefully he could get onto the ground without having to announce his presence. The warships might not bombard the Triad, but if Gram spun a suitable tall tale then they might well fire on a remote airfield. “If you actually want nightmares, consider what could happen if Ian Cameron decides to throw his support to Gram.”

“He couldn’t do that!”

Her sister shook her head. “Charlotte, isn’t that exactly what he did to the Liaos?”

Jumpship Poison Ivy, Deep Space
Terran Hegemony
5 June 2578

For the last time the Poison Ivy had jumped alone ahead of the Combined Grand Fleet. This had become more and more dangerous as the fleet crept deeper into the Inner Sphere but the chances that anyone would be prowling this particular little part of the void between stars was literally astronomical. They were perhaps a light year from Keid and within a single jump of the ancestral home of humanity.

Since their arrival three days ago the only things that Mela Kochinski had detected were the weak broadcasts from surrounding planets, signals hilariously out of date and out of sequence. Only the transmissions from Keid had been sent since the event of Christmas 2766 and signals from Terra spoke of the Star League as a future prospect built on a comparatively recent treaty with the Lyran Commonwealth joining the Hegemony, Free Worlds League and Capellans in peace and free trade.

Now, in response to the crew’s report, the first ships were beginning to arrive. There were four designated points to arrive at, each a light second from the Ivy. A quarter of a million kilometres was enough spacing that there was no prospect of collision as long as each ship cleared its arrival point promptly.

The first ships to arrive were the four Marian Battlestars. As large and as heavily armoured as anything else in the fleet, each had a large fighter complement to help secure the area, a hyperpulse generator to report problems instantly to the ships waiting to arrive (rather than having to wait three days for the signal from the Poison Ivy’s ‘fax machine’ to arrive) and a lithium-fusion battery so that they could escape if strictly necessary.

Since no trap was in place, the four massive warships started to converge towards the Ivy and one ship at a time began to appear, following them in line towards the rendezvous point.

There would be no gathering like this again: scattered forces that had taken three different routes to reach this location – from the Outworlds, from Andurien and even at the last minute racing across the Federated Suns from Filtvet – would be dividing shortly into task forces for separate strikes. Only here would the Combined Grand Fleet and its support train assemble in one place.

Fox and Flash class corvettes from the FCN and TCN spread out to provide a perimeter guard while heavier ships closed in. Closest to the Poison Ivy were the handful of battleships: Filtvet’s Ascalon-class and Taurian Calderon-class ships joining the battlestars – twelve warships in all, including the FCS Golden Lion, flagship of Fleet Admiral Jeffrey B. Global, the Arch-Duchess’ Champion and commander of Task Force Tiger, and TCS Samantha Calderon, from which Admiral Cain would command the entire Combined Fleet.

Outside of this force were the mainstays of the heavy warship forces: cruisers and battlecruisers. Here the main strength of the Canopian Navy Royal was represented: fifty Canopus-class cruisers led by HMS Mapusaur, the new flagship of Admiral Stephanie Carrington’s Task Force Dragon. No other class was so well represented – even the array of their Taurian counterparts, slightly outnumbering the Canopians, was divided into four classes – two of cruisers and two of battlecruisers. Admiral Rukia Fukuda’s Task Force Phoenix had its headquarters aboard her own cruiser: TCS Brimstone.

Finally, between the cruisers and the perimeter were squadrons of Outback-class destroyers and Porcupine-class ‘battlecruiser’ monitors protecting the fleet carriers from the Taurian Navy and escort carriers from the Alliance Fleet Arm as they nestled amoung the yardships and transport jumpships of fleet’s support train.

Almost three hundred warships and as many more jump-capable vessels were assembled in one of the most formidable fleets since Kerensky’s Exodus, all keeping formation upon one battered freighter.

“We have a signal from the Sam Calderon,” Mela reported.

Margaid nodded. “Put it on the speakers.”

“Captain Margaid Chon,” a Taurian-accented voice greeted her. “This is Garius Cain.”

“Sir.”

“On behalf of the Combined Grand Fleet, our salutations to you, your ship and your crew.”

Outside, flares began to light up the void of deep space: brilliant candle-flashes of light intended to illuminate across thousands of miles for minutes at a time. No doubt astronomers on Keid would have quite a show to watch in a year or so. Margaid felt a tear beginning to form in a corner of her eyes.

“Thank you for a job well done,” Cain finished.

The captain blinked the tear away and glanced around. Mela was looking out of the window – thank goodness, she’d never have let Margaid live this down – and only Osami seemed to have noticed the lapse. The young navigator smiled supportively at her captain before turning back to exchanging data with the fleet’s chief navigator.

Mela turned her head and then glared at Margaid suspiciously. “Why are you blushing?”

“I’m doing nothing of the sort. Now who will we be topping off the fuel tanks for first?”

L1 Pirate Point, Earth/Luna
Solar System, Terran Hegemony
16 June 2578

The sheer value of the L1 point as a close jump point for urgent cargoes meant that it could not be mined. The Hegemony Armed Forces had recognised the potential chink in the protection of the motherworld however and even now, under the direction of the Star League Defense Force, four large space stations were continually adjusting their positions around the zone. Their orders were uncompromising: anything that jumped in was to be given no more than sixty seconds to transmit their authorisiation.

MIS Atlantia’s arrival was enough cause for the stations to be opening fire within seventy-five seconds. The nearest station was impressively prepared and fired within forty-five, correctly deducing that there was no ship so huge within the Star League’s arsenal. Each of the stations was built around powerful massdrivers that hurled kinetic penetrators massing fully ninety tons. All four shots hit home but not one penetrated Atlantia’s armoured hull.

Still deliberately launching fighter after fighter from the two hangers mounted along its flanks, the titanic ship turned upon the nearer space station and opened fire with its nose armament: four naval gauss rifles and a cluster of capital lasers as it cruised out of the pirate point. The space station blew apart almost immediately, the debris blotting away the dozens of fighters it had launched.

Three more shots hammered into the Atlantia and then the jump point disgorged a second battlestar, the Galactica. Unlike her sister ship the new arrival cruised out of the point on a path that led between two of the space stations, engaging with both broadsides as it did so.

As they burned, the rest of Task Force Dragon and Task Force Tiger began to arrive, one at a time, forming up for the short but no doubt contested journeys towards the critical shipyards orbiting Luna and over Terra itself. The light of Task Force Phoenix arriving over Mars was only just reaching Earth’s orbit as this first brief battle ended with the last of the space stations blasted to smithereens under the guns of a Canopian cruiser group.

The space stations had not been the extent of the defences of course and across the solar system hundreds of ships rushed to the defence of the capital of the Star League. The mighty Farragut-class battleships were all deployed to face the periphery – and had taken significant losses over the last year – but there remained several defense squadrons built around Monsoon and Dreadnought-class battleships supported by Riga-class frigates.

Three of these squadrons swarmed together over the O’Neil yards. The ships had names to conjure with: SLS Barham and SLS Thunderer veterans of the greatest space battles of the Age of War were now flanking SLS South Carolina, the second warship ever built. Their escorting corvettes and destroyers spread out slightly as a fourth capital ship emerged from the docks: the Kimagure, lead ship of a new class of fast cruisers and not even commissioned into the Star League Navy yet, was going to see its first battle over the yard completing it as a rush project.

It was an open question whether the battle would also prove to be the Kimagure’s last.

Task Force Dragon had the fewest battleships out of any of the task forces. The battered Atlantia and a pair of Calderon-class battleships were acting as a rear-guard, as well as escort for a pair of massive Taurian carriers. By unspoken agreement the majority of the Taurian capital ships were not going to be placed in orbit over Terra.

Ahead of them, thirty-six cruisers in nine clusters of four formed the main ‘wall’ of the task force, flanked in all directions by corvettes and destroyers. It was an intimidating tonnage but the defenders could expect support from the nearby orbital weapon platforms and ground bases on Luna.

Stephanie Carrington’s seat in the Combat Information Centre of HMS Mapusaur was quite different from the admiral’s bridge of her previous flagship. While the Canopus-class of cruiser was an excellent combatant, they accomplished this by stripping aside secondary functions, which included a dedicated command deck. Unfortunately the elderly missile defense of HMS Diamond Throne made it ill-suited for this operation and the newer Warlock battleships would not finish construction for months.

“Launch fighters and gunboats,” she ordered. “Let’s take the measure of their defences.”

“That’s going to be a bit rough on the fighters.”

“Thus their munificent salaries,” the Admiral observed. She’d come up through the dropship arm of the Navy and was not overly impressed with the occasional tendency towards swashbuckling on the part of the aerospace regiments. “I’ll not court casualties amongst them, ComCapt, but nor will I risk a warship when small craft can do the job.”

“I suppose not,” the flight control officer agreed reluctantly. An ex-pilot himself he wasn’t entirely beyond resentment that the rest of the Navy tended to treat aerospace fighters and their highly trained pilots as expendable assets.

Stephanie watched as a massive force of Taurian gunships, covered by hundreds of aerospace fighters from all nationalities plunged towards Luna. In response, squadrons emerged from the Lunar defence squadron’s ships and others rose from the surface or departed their orbital bases.

A quick estimate told her that there were perhaps four hundred defending fighters, giving them numbers roughly equal to the fighters escorting the gunship force. Since they were standing on the defensive it was unlikely that the Star League fleet was holding back a substantial reserve, whereas she had to hold back a sizeable number of her fighters in defense.

The fighters closed in on each other, squadrons manuvering for position as the SLDF tried to engage all the periphery squadrons while they in turn tried to concentrate their numbers to punch a hole in the fighter screen for the gunships. Just under two hundred kilometres separated the two formations when the periphery fighters started firing off their externally carried munitions – not the nuclear-tipped missiles carried by the attack squadrons but small packs of rockets carried by almost every interceptor and superiority fighter.

The small rockets were not enough to destroy any of the enemy fighters except in the rare circumstances that an entire squadron managed to concentrate their fire on a single target. For the most part the SLDF squadrons staggered out of the clouds of explosions with scarred armour and shaken nerves, firing into the onrushing aerospace fighters and gunships.

Lasers, missiles and autocannon tracer filled the space between the two formations before they interpenetrated and then dissolved into a brutal dogfight that from a distance resembled a constellation of comets, dotted with fiery explosions as ammunition bins or hydrogen fuel tanks blew up.

Then the gunships slammed through them, trying to plough a road through the SLDF fighters with their sheer firepower. In some cases it worked, in others the SLDF fighters elected to concentrate their fire upon the relatively lumbering gunships rather than elusive fighters. This however left the remaining SLDF seriously outnumbered and while Taurian fighters moved to protect their countrymen, the incomparable Outworlds aerospace wings ripped gaping holes in the fighter screen.

Almost ignored in this, eighteen Apis fighters from a Canopian carrier dropships slashed towards the Star League warships. Dozens of dropships fired at them, some of them even expending capital missiles to engage them. Four Apis vanished in nuclear detonations but others closed in and fired off the missiles slung under their bellies.

The sky was dotted with more nuclear light as three Leopard-class carriers were blotted out of the sky by the Canopian fighters and one squadron of five dived past the wreckage to fire their missiles into SLS Clark Savage. The Lola-class destroyer shattered like glass as the missiles ripped deep into its hull but the price of this victory was that the Apis had strayed into the engagement range of the Kimagure and its secondary turrets turned to bear, bringing dozens of lasers to bear.

The Canopian fighters were tough, but the newly built cruiser was able to bring twenty large lasers to bear and dropships were also adding their firepower. One Apis broke apart under the pounding and a second was missing most of a wing as it limped away.

They were replaced however by two squadrons of Stukas that focused their missiles upon a pair of Bonaventure corvettes. Then a second compete wing of fighters, this time Vulcans, bulled through and actually dared to close in upon SLS South Carolina. The ancient battleship boasted formidable numbers of autocannons but nine Vulcans reached engagement range anyway and each was carrying a five kiloton nuclear missile. Two penetrated the South Carolina’s hull, one just ahead of the grav-decks and the other through the ventral engine-pod. Either would have been sufficient to destroy the ship, but as it was only the forward half survived as recognisable fragments.

None of the Vulcans made it out.

And then the gunships – those that had survived – entered engagement range and the Star League’s formation disintegrated into barely organised chaos as warship captains struggled to smash the small attack craft with massive weapons not designed to travel small and fast moving targets without accidentally sending those hammer-blows into the hulls of their comrades. They succeeded better in the latter than in the former: missiles from the ground bases and laser fire from the orbital weapon platforms had cut the gunship numbers in half but the warships’ cumbersome weapon systems managed to destroy fewer than a score before internal missile bays opened and each fired off a pair of nuclear missiles.

The Kimagure went to maximum rate of fire with its anti-missile turrets and a dozen corvettes with retro-fitted arrays of small lasers did likewise, carving out small pockets of safety around themselves. It proved insufficient to save the Barham or fourteen smaller warships that tore apart under the barrage. Thunderer survived, although much of its bow had been torn away and the mid-ships sensor tower was irradiated wreckage.

As Carrington watched, the twelve Star League warships surviving turned and somehow managed to stagger into something approaching a battle formation, firing defiant broadsides after the retreating gunships and aerospace fighters.

“Excellent work,” she approved. “Now it is our turn. All cruiser groups are to close in. We will open fire at seven hundred kilometres.” Each of the nine cruiser groups contained a pair of Canopus-class cruisers such as the Mapusaur with a broadside of twelve long-ranged naval autocannon and sixteen naval lasers: more than sufficient to defeat their opponents in an even contest, much less with numbers favouring the cruisers almost three to one. “Offer the defenders a chance to surrender – it’s at least possible that some of them will prefer saving the lives of their crews over condemning them to honourable but futile ends.”

SLS Callabero, High Orbit
Canopus IV, Magistracy of Canopus
17 June 2578

One of the great defences of Canopus IV was the size of its star. That gave it an enormously deep interdiction zone – ship arriving from the zenith or nadir jump points typically took roughly two weeks to arrive at the standard one gravity of thrust. Judging by the jump activity from ahead of the Kincaid’s task force, the Canopians had used the time to rush reinforcements in and probably to evacuate some members of the government hierarchy.

Of course if there were serious military forces within two or three jumps of Canopus IV, that meant that they could have arrived or be about to arrive, which could prove a problem. Fortunately the nearest border regions were almost a hundred light years away, which provided a narrow window of opportunity – and of course, the SLN warships and the jumpships that they taken in tow had  all now had fully charged jumpdrives. If absolutely necessary they could depart via a pirate point.

“You’re sure of this?” Amalthia Kincaid asked.

Felter nodded. “It’s not just the warships that are coming towards us. The ‘orbital weapons platforms’ we identified based on Duke Marik’s reports are accompanying them. All five hundred of them.”

“They’re mobile? Well that’s just excessive. They’ve got... what, a hundred or so assault dropships screening their warships already. And we don’t know what those non-stationary stations are armed with.” The General sighed. “I suppose that that means that the goal of pounding them apart at long range goes out of the window. Thank you for telling me this, Colonel. Please advise Admiral Kirby that I’d like to speak to him.”

The intelligence officer bowed slightly and stepped back before leaving, allowing Kincaid to look at the tactical display in privacy.  Now that there was no sign of ships in pursuit of them, the fleet had formed up with the Quixote-class frigates in the lead, a double wall of the aged warships between her precious transports and the Canopian defenders.

Fortunately, even with whatever vessels had arrived, there were only eleven of the Canopus cruisers and fifteen of their ‘corvettes’ were with the defensive force that was manuvering to intercept the Task Force as they slowed to enter orbit. That was a formidable force of coruse – the SLDF Intelligence Corps analysis suggested that the cruisers were considerably better armed and armoured than the Avatar-class ships that were their nearest equivalents in tonnage and the corvettes were only marginally less dangerous, although fortunately they were also forced to keep pace at the moment with their heavier counterparts.

“I heard the new data,” Bill Kirby confirmed as he joined Amalthia. “Under the circumstances, I’m planning on an aerospace strike before we enter their range. Our best estimate is that we have an edge of around two to one in aerospace fighters – we can hold eight regiments back to cover the transports and the landing, and still have a clear edge in numbers now. I’d like to break out our stock of Type-II nuclear warheads for the mission.”

Kincaid looked at the chart. They were well outside the distance from Canopus IV where the Ares Conventions would proscribe nuclear attacks. That had been part of their plan from the beginning. Even so, that would be committing around six hundred aerospace fighters against an equal number of dropships. “Approved,” she agreed reluctantly. “I’ll transmit authorisation to all ships for the missiles to be loaded. We only have eighty of them though.”

“I know.” Nuclear missiles were expensive and the SLDF had already authorised the use of a remarkable number of the Type-III warheads for the warship’s onboard missile launchers. It was no real surprise to have been left short when it came to the fighter-launched equivalents. “We’ll make up what we can with conventional missiles – it’ll give us a chance to probe their missile defences before the main event and if a nuke slips through while they’re shooting up a high-explosive warhead that will be just too bad.”

Kincaid considered the numbers involved. Thus far they appeared to have dramatic advantages in numbers when it came to fighters and warships. “Do you intend to focus on the dropships and these semi-mobile defence platforms?”

“Yes. Nice description of them, by the way. Half a G isn’t an impressive turn of speed. This way we take their measure and even one of their monster dropships can’t be tough enough to survive even a glancing nuclear strike.”

L1 Pirate Point, Mars
Solar System, Terran Hegemony
17 June 2578

“I can’t believe that a dropship could survive a nuclear missile!”

“Whether you believe it or not, the bugger’s still coming!” Lieutenant Hector de la Croix brought his ancient Star Dagger around and blasted the fighter out of the gun arc of the oncoming dropship. Part of the screening force to the task force that had burst into the Solar System, the dropship was one of many being attacked by the meagre defense forces defending the fourth planet.

Hector’s militia squadron had been covering for a squadron of SLDF Samurai that had tried to batter their way through with nuclear missiles – one for the dropship and the rest of the squadron to fire their missiles into the warships behind the dropship.

Now he and Michelle Eaken, who’d taken the shot, were the only survivors. The teardrop-shaped dropship’s anti-fighter turrets were mercilessly efficient and had smashed the rest of both squadrons contemptuously aside despite the flash of radioactive brilliance that had marked a five kiloton nuclear weapon detonating near it’s nose. Michelle’s fighter was limping, having taken its own hit along the frontal armour and somehow failed to suffer fatal systems damage but her Samurai was the only one struck that was still flying, Hector having been fortunate enough to avoid contact.

“They obviously took damage,” Michelle continued as she followed him away from the dropship. “The nose is practically a crater!”

Hector’s fighter writhed as he tried to avoid looking like a tempting target. “Unless you have a second nuke strapped to your fighter, that doesn’t matter a bit, Sergeant Eaken.” He checked his radar. “Bandits, seven o’clock high.”

His impromptu wingman closed in upon the Star Dagger’s flank. “I see them. Looks like a squadron of Seydlitz.”

The militia officer hissed in concern. The Seydlitz was well known to him – a fast interceptor that could easily outmanuver either of their fighters and mounted a large laser that outranged them as well. At close range, the Lyran design would be cut apart, which meant they wouldn’t even try to get close to the Terrans.

“Head for the shipyards!” he ordered and opened up the throttles of his fighter to maximum power, the Star Dagger shaking around him as he drove it towards the Lowell Shipyards. The defences around the facility – the heart of Blue Nose Clipperships’ industrial empire – would in the short term ward off the incoming fighters. And with the attempt to break past the defences of the oncoming fleet they were an obvious rallying point.

And an obvious target.

“Flight Control,” Hector reported grimly. “This is Lieutenant de la Croix. I am retreating towards the Lowell Shipyards with the only survivor of the 2202nd SLDF AeroSquadron. We have failed to penetrate the invader’s screening elements – their anti-fighter weapons are murderous.”

“Understood Lieutenant.” The voice that replied was clipped and emotionless in stark contrast to the usual cool confidence that flight control officers tried to display towards their charges. “If you’re still re-entry capable, make for Point Tau. We’re evactuating the yards and we’ll need you to cover the escape pods.”

“My new wingman isn’t re-entry capable,” Hector warned and then the content of his new orders sank in. “Evacuation? Surely the defense squadrons from Terra...”

The flight controller let fatigue enter his voice. “Negative, lieutenant. The warship squadrons over Terra are fully engaged and cannot come to our assistance.” While the man did not elaborate, Hector knew enough to put the pieces together. The only mobile force over Mars was THS Satsuma and her escorts, fewer than a dozen Bonaventure and Vigilant corvettes. Not one ship in the squadron was less than two hundred years old, pulled out of mothballs when more modern ships were needed on the frontlines.

No one appeared to have considered that Mars and even Terra herself might become the new frontline.

“Your wingman should go to Point Epsilon,” the controller continued. “Right now we can’t afford to send even a damaged fighter away.”

“Understood.” Hector glanced at his radar. The Seydlitz were little more than four hundred kilometres out of range. “Looks like I have a few Filets on my rear right now. I’ll get back to you if they don’t grill me to death.” There had been enough intel reports that Hector was fairly sure that these Seydlitz were from the former Federated Suns regions, judging from their IFF codes and the like.

“Eaken, when I give the word, yaw,” he ordered. It was a risky manuver, but slowing sharply might brign the pursuing Seydlitz into the range of his own and Michelle’s guns. Of course it might also mean that they drew out their flights towards the shipyard complex, but better a late arrival than no arrival at all.

Eyeing the radar, Hector counted down as the range reached what he felt was optimal. “Now!”

Thrusters across both fleeing fighters jerked them around and aimed the potent fusion turbine’s thrust in the exact opposite direction from their previous orientation. Star Dagger and Samurai alike slewed wildly in the instants that their thrust was moving through their arcs, and then the six Seydlitz were faced not with the lightly protected aft ends of the pair but with their forward guns, and at a range of little more than a hundred kilometres.

Their own lasers – not so very different from the Maxell SR lasers that the Star League would have developed, a generation or two in their future – fired and coherent light spat back and forth across the divide, punctuated by the tracer from Hector’s chain guns. It was a brief interval before the Seydlitzs overshot their prey, armour battered and torn but for the most part out of the fight.

Hector brought his Star Dagger about and rocketed away at an angle. “Eaken! Get clear before they turn around!”

There was no reply.

He checked his radar. The Samurai was still under thrust, but still slowing, without manuvering. “Eaken!?”

Still no response. The Seydlitz were splitting up into pairs, four of the enemy fighters clawing back after him  while two tore into the helpless Samurai. It only took two salvos before one laser shot tore one wing away and the hopelessly damaged aerospace fighter went into a tumble, flames tearing through fuel lines and power systems and inexorably closing in towards the hydrogen fuel stores.

The last part of the 2202nd AeroSquadron died in fire as Hector grit his teeth and desperately tried to wring one last erg of acceleration from his fighter.

Crystal Palace, Crimson
17 June 2578

Deep below her capital, Savitri Centrella watched a holographic display of the orbitals, wishing that she was up there to participate.

She wasn’t however. Archibald McCarron, before he left for Andurien to establish an alternate command centre, had used devious tactics – i.e. her daughters – to extract a promise that if she did join the battle she would only do so within the atmosphere of Canopus IV, where her chances of survival if she had to eject would be far better than they were in orbit.

She couldn’t even sneak away and participate without Ehlana and Catherine knowing. The duo had every maid in the palace twisted around their little fingers, an intelligence network that would have had any spy service in the Inner Sphere green with envy. On the one hand, Savitri was proud of the little hellions for being so creative. On the other, well, it was a little sad that even offering free biosculpt to any of the palace staff who wanted to be a catgirl or catboy hadn’t swayed their loyalty. When had old fashioned bribery stopped working?

The display showed two walls of blue icons – the warships of the SLN and the fighter squadrons that they had launched – rushing towards the warm crimson formations of Melchior Defence Stations, surrounding the twenty-five warships of the defense squadrons and their escorting dropships. By any standard but that of a major fleet, the Canopian Navy Royal’s defensive fleet was an impressive force. Of course, they were facing a major fleet and the Melchiors would be desperately needed.

“I’m split between being glad that they’re taking the cautious approach and annoyed,” the Magestrix said out loud. “This will let us inflict severe losses on their aerospace numbers, but it’s also going to let them know what they are dealing with.”

“Unless you want them to hold off on using the missile launchers, I don’t think we can do much about that, ma’am.” RearAd Hank Michaels looked uneasy at the thought.

She shook her head. “No, RearAd, it’s not enough of a problem that I want to risk serious losses by having the militia hold back.” As part of the ‘fixed’ planetary defences, the Melchiors were under the command of the planetary milita rather than the CNR proper. “Besides, changing the plan at this late date would be ill-advised.”

Michaels nodded and resumed watching his own  display – in addition to being the most senior male officer in the Canopian Navy Royal he was commander of the capital’s defence squadrons and thus communicating with her from the bridge of HMS Kurtani. This was the worst moment for them both. They’d given all the orders and were now relying on their subordinates to carry them out. Unless something went wrong, the two of them were going to be spectators for the next hour or so, relying on group commanders to respond to the Star League’s moves.

The two walls slid together at a rate that declined as the SLN gradually overcame the momentum of their run in from the jump point. This, of course, meant that they were for the most part aiming their tails towards the Canopians and would have to turn around in order to engage them. They’d calculated the point for this to leave them just short of the defenders weapons range.

What they apparently were not expecting was for part of the CNR forces to surge forwards: hundreds of aerospace fighters and more than thirty assault dropships along with fifteen battlecruisers and eight dreadnought monitors built on cruiser hulls, all accelerating at more than four gravities towards the enemy.

It wasn’t entirely unexpected. The pocket battlecruisers had exhibited the capability before, but never the far larger cruisers. And now their intended turning point was going to be pincered between the Canopian warships and the much slower defense platforms.

What followed was an explosion of SLDF aerospace fighters in all directions as their loose formation burst apart, with squadrons veering in all directions as they sought to avoid the obvious kill zone or to move into attack runs on the warships. Those that managed the latter ran into brutally destructive bolts from the secondary turrets – sub-capital lasers and quad-particle beam turrets hammering into them with enough force to shatter many before they could get into range.

Many, but not all.

Nuclear fire ravened against Canopian hulls as of the twenty-nine missiles fired, twelve managed to break past the mixed laser clusters and chain guns that lined the flanks of the Canopian warships. To observers far away, there was little effect: damage reports reduced to terse code upon Canopian holo-displays and simple observation by the SLDF that the warships – four of the dreadnoughts and three of the battlecruisers – remained under power.

That wasn’t to say that they were unscathed. HMS Yataghan had taken two hits, both punching deep into her hull and the stress numbers on her internal members had the handful of officers aware of them white-faced. But with more than half their crew dead and almost every weapon on one flank inoperable, the little battlecruiser had other concerns. The dreadnought HMS Tortoise had also been struck twice but fortune had smiled on the larger ship with both missiles detonating against the thick armour belt rather than finding chinks: despite cratering, the ship’s internals were unscathed. The Tortoise’s sister ships and two other battlecruisers remained operational despite the impacts.

It was scant consolation to the SLDF that the one assault dropship to have been struck, HMS Dresden, had been shattered, the broken hull now spreading in several directions. A tiny Achilles-class ship, built for export to the Federated Suns or to Ursula Liao’s nascent ‘Free Capella’ but now hastily commissioned into service for this battle, it was less than a sixth the size of the dropships that Canopus had built for itself. The other nineteen dropships in its wing were engaging the Star League’s fighters with withering fire that blotted entire squadrons out of the sky.

Even under this brutal impact, more than half of the Star League’s fighters broke past the warships.

And then their radars screamed as every single Melchior belched forth an anti-shipping Killer Whale missile. Despite the name, there was no reason at all that the missiles – in many cases larger than the fighters they were aimed at – could not hit a manuvering aerospace fighter.

And there were five hundred of them.

Sabres, Centurions, Swifts and even many Samurai broke apart when missiles caught up with them, the massive kinetic impacts breaking up their fragile structures. Heavier craft like Eagles and Typhoons or Thunderbirds might survive a single hit... but then the defence line fired again and a bare handful lucky enough to avoid being struck, or to have taken hits on heavier armour were fleing from their lives, squadrons of Canopian Sparrowhawk interceptors chasing them down ruthlessly.

The heavier squadrons of the Canopian Navy Royal’s fighter corps remained in reserve.

Thousands of miles below, the Magestrix nodded her head coldly. She could imagine the damage that codes represented. She, almost alone of the Magistracy’s Armed Forces had used nuclear weapons in combat. She knew their effects all too well.

“Now for the main event.”

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2012, 02:05:37 AM »

SLS Callabero, High Orbit
17 June 2578

Amalthia Kincaid did not consider herself to have a formidable depth of naval expertise, but she fully understood what had happened earlier. The shattering casualties amongst the aerospace wings had left the morale among their peers, and the rest of the fleet, somewhere around the level of their toes.

An army that believed that it could not win, would not win. The general saw no reason that a fleet would be any different.

“An expensive reconnaissance,” she admitted out loud, keeping her expression calm. Not unconcerned, but by no means panicked. “But now that they’ve had to show their hands, we can counter them.”

Captain Bridger was no less aware of the potential disaster that they were facing. “It’s a touch concerning that some of their warships can survive nuclear strikes, at least in the low kiloton range.”

“Quite so. The structural bracing must be formidable. I’m no engineer, but how much tonnage would you guess they devote to hull reinforcements to manage that.”

“Almost as much as the engines.” Bridger had a background in the Hegemony’s shipbuilding industries and was able to make rough calculations in his head. “They must be monitors, no jump drives. There’s no other way that they could manage to build a hull that large and the sort of monstrous engines that would be necessary to push those cruisers up to four gravities of acceleration.”

“Then this battle is going to be decided in the first few exchanges of fire. Whichever fleet can survive the most nuclear weapons wins.”

“I can’t promise that it’s us. We’ve got a lot of ships, but their ships are much more resilient.”

Kincaid nodded. “Well no one ever said that we had a safe job. All ships are to load as many tubes as possible with nuclear weapons. A lot of them won’t receive a chance to fire a second salvo so we need the first one to count.”

“Losses are likely to be heavy.” Bridger warned her.

“I know.” She looked around. “Captain, this isn’t for general circulation but this battle is our Gettysburg. If we win here then the war goes on. But if we lose... then it may be the last battle of the Star League Defense Forces.”

“There are other fleets... other Corps...”

“Not many. And you don’t need me to tell you how rocky morale has been lately. You know the old saying: victory has many fathers but defeat is an orphan? We’ve had too many defeats and no victorys to point to. Sending troops convinced that they will not – cannot – win, is a guarantee of failure. I get the impression that the First Star Lord will sue for peace unless we can find him a victory to rally the Star League behind him.”

“From everything I’ve heard, the Periphery won’t accept anything short of the disbanding of the Star League,” Bridger pointed out.

“I don’t know how accurate that is, but you could be right.” She looked at the display. “We seem to be more or less down to manuvering speeds unless I’m very much mistaken. Please advise all vessels that we shall seek action. Excepting only the escorts for the transport fleet all ships will engage the enemy.”

The SLDF ships moved forwards and the Canopians reformed to meet them – their smaller but far more numerous vessels readying themselves for the slaughter ahead.

On both sides firing plans were readied and courage mustered. This was no sternly scientific battlefield – it was going to be a crude battering match.

In the end the only question was which would fire as they closed in, each waiting for the chance to get their shot off with the greatest possible accuracy, pitting that desire against the urgency that if they waited too long... they might not have the chance to fire at all.

In the event they both did.

On the surface of Canopus Savitri Centrella watched with stony eyes as ships blew apart. The SLN’s Quixotes were badly out-numbered but each could bring at least six missile tubes to bear, while the Melchiors could only manage one and lacked even the simple arrays of lasers that served the Quixotes for missile defence.

Fortunately for the crews, each Melchior had a single lifeboat and no sooner had they fired their first Santa Ana nuclear missile than the boats were launched. Most made it, racing desperately back for Canopus IV. Behind them hundreds of defense platforms had been destroyed, but the veritable constellation of their remains was coming into contact with the debris from scores of frigates torn into millions of pieces by their counter-salvo.

The sheer mass of fragments left radar virtually useless and the survivors on both sides clawed their way through collision after collision, seeking their remaining enemies. Coordination was impossible.

Here the Canopus-class dreadnoughts and Porcupine-class battlecruisers had the advantage with thick layers of armour and powerful engines to force their way through. But now the numbers favoured the Star League. HMS Adam Buquoy tore three of the Star League’s Lola-class destroyers apart but they had been covering the damaged SLS Zorro which managed to turn around and bring its bow tubes to bear, firing its last missiles into the battered dreadnought.

Savitri’s preferred flagship, the battlecruiser HMS Concubine, managed to smash through the remaining fighter screen of SLS Callabero to bring its lasers to bear at point blank range. With no remaining nuclear weapons in its magazines, Kincaid’s flagship fired back with conventional missiles. Briefly they exchanged fire before the frigate broke in half under the weapons fire and the battlecruiser drifted, engines disabled by multiple missile impacts. The crew took to their lifeboats, scuttling charges firing as they made their way towards the surface.

For a full day small actions flared up as in ones and twos the ships died. Savitri Centrella drank navy coffee and watched with eyes increasingly hollow. Amalthia Kincaid’s corpse drifted along with the uncountable tons of wreckage making its slow way in the direction of Canopus IV’s smokey atmosphere.

As numbers dwindled, one thing became clear: the Canopian Navy’s defence fleet was no longer enough to overpower the remaining escorts.

“Pull our ships back to cover the shipyards,” the Magestrix ordered. “The Star League doesn’t have the ships left to batter through to destroy them and to guard their transports.” Savitri looked at the wrecks and then shook her head. “They’ve won this round, but the battle will continue.” She reached out into the hologram and touched the representation of Canopus IV.

“The next battle will be fought here.”

Astarte, Salonika
20 June 2578

The two hovercraft cruising across the wrecked remains of a long-abandoned strip-mine were infantry carriers – half of the fourth recon lance out of six that made up a small part the 112th (Striker) Regiment of the SLDF. The pair of LVT-4 hovertanks that formed other half of the lance, the ‘shooters’, were chasing up a possible contact a couple of kilometres away.

“It’s too quiet,” Sergeant Miracle Ilaes muttered from the cupola of the hover tank where she was scanning the surroundings with binoculars. “The Canopians have to have some sort of recon screen out, so where is it?”

“Hopefully giving some other bugger some trouble,” replied her driver. David Vaaraniemi was from the Terra itself, while Miracle had been born on Sierra – a frontier world almost as far removed from Canopus IV as it was from Terra.

The sergeant shook her head. “Astarte’s the third most important city on Canopus – probably one of the ten largest cities in the entire Magistracy. They can’t possibly have abandoned it, so there should at least be some -” A fast moving shape darting out from the cover of a mound of spoil answered her question. “Evasive!”

Dirt exploded behind the hovercraft and there was a shout of surprise from the infantry bay as David gunned the engines. The cause of the explosion – a Locust light Battlemech – broke into a sprint towards them.

Miracle tried to keep her binoculars on the ‘Mech. Although she’d identified the ‘Mech from its slim birdlike legs and block torso, there were several clear differences from the LCT-1V models she knew from the 112th. “It’s a Locust, 1E model!” she shouted. That meant rather than one medium laser and a pair of machine guns that it would sport four lasers: two medium and two small. Not as good against infantry but with notably more punch against vehicles such as the two APCs – the second vehicle, commanded by Corporal Sevket was wallowing in their wake.

She flicked a switch, setting her radio to transmit on the platoon frequency. “Lieutenant Halder, this is Sergeant Ilaes. We’ve encountered a lone Canopian Locust and are under fire.

The two arm-mounted lasers on the Locust turned and then the rear of Sevket’s APC blew open, spilling men and equipment across the ground at fatally high speeds. The forward half of the luckless hovertank sagged and one corner dug into the ground, causing the rest to cartwheel wildly before landing upside down.

The Locust raced through the debris, apparently unconcerned that in so doing it squashed two SLDF soldiers flat under one foot. Then again, in all probability neither was still alive anyway.

“Can’t you go any faster!” Miracle shouted. “It’s still in range.”

David’s voice sounded aggrieved: “We’re doing a hundred and fifty!”

Miracle looked back. Offhand the Locust, one of the fastest Battlemechs ever developed, topped out at one hundred twenty-nine kilometres an hour under optimum conditions. Nonetheless it seemed to be managing to not only keep up but also gain ground.

There was a crackle over the radio. “Lead it our way,” Lieutenant Halder ordered. “We’re hull down just behind ridge four-oh-seven.”

“I’ve got an idea!”

Miracle looked back into the infantry bay and to her shock saw daylight: the rear hatch had been opened. Then there came the distinctive thump of James Hooker’s grenade launcher. The squad’s heavy-weapons trooper pumped another high explosive grenade towards the Locust.

Explosions of earth either side of the APC testified to the difficulty of hitting a target that was moving as fast as the hovercraft, but the Locust was only a hundred metres behind. Hooker’s third grenade scored a hit on the cockpit, visibly scarring the thick canopy. In response the two chin lasers spoke sharply with long, stuttering pulses. The APC lurched and slowed, a near collision averted only when the Locust jerked sharply aside and ran past. Miracle hardly noticed, instead focused on the screams from inside the infantry bay and the splatter of what was obviously blood against the legs of her battledress utilities.

“Get us ouf of here!” she screamed and ducked into infantry bay, gripping handholds as she moved to prevent the less than smooth movements of the hovercraft from sending her crashing around like a pinball. As it she was glad of her helmet when one particular sharp turn at a bad moment bounced her head off the edge of the cupola.

Hooker was on the deck of the bay, and also on three of the walls. He’d taken the brunt of the laser pulses. The grenadier’s loader, Ramirez – another Sierran – was also beyond help. Shards of the rear hatch were buried in his chest and his eyes glazed by death. The screams were coming from Derek Shannon, left leg a mangled wreck.

“Pass the medical kit!” demanded Jane Jericho, who had removed part of her field webbing and was improvising a tourniquet out of the one of the straps.

Although technically in command, Miracle obeyed the instruction, yanking open the box for her subordinate before looking over at the last of the six people in her squad (there should have been seven but the 112th was short-staffed and her squad short-handed.

Private Marion Emiya was lying half-on one of the side benches, face pale. One combat boot was trapped in the tangled remains of the rear of the tank. She managed a wan smile as Miracle looked her over. “Only hurts when I try to get my foot free, Sarge.”

From the look of the tangle, Marion would be lucky to get her ankle out, much less her foot, but Miracle decided not to dishearten her. “Give me a moment.”

Outside the door she could see the ground moving past at a frightening speed. She also couldn’t see the Locust. “Vaaraniemi, did you lose him?”

“I don’t know. I’ve lost visual. We’re thirty seconds from the rest of the lance.”

“We have multiple wounded.”

“Understood, sergeant. I’ll get us back to the nearest medical post as soon as I can.”

Miracle tried not to think too much about the fact that just because David had lost track of the Locust didn’t mean that the ‘Mech had lost track of them. Instead she opened up the toolbox and started looking through it to find something that she could use to pry Marion’s foot out of the wreckage.

Halder’s voice came from her helmet radio. “Just get home, Sergeant. We’ll deal with the ‘Mech.”

“Watch yourself, its damn fast,” she warned.

“So are we!” she heard Halder say, the roar of hovercraft engines clearly audible through his own microphone. “There he is!”

The APC jerked sharply to one side.

“He’s on us!” shouted David. “Hold on! I’m -”

There was a crunch and Miracle was flung bodily across the infantry bay, colliding with Jane. Both women landed on Derek Shannon, who resumed his screaming. The back of the hovercraft tilted upwards and then slammed back down, bouncing the squad around like pinballs as the APC came to rest.

Groaning, and with the suspicion that she one of her ribs might have been broken, Miracle crawled out of the bay and was unsurprised to see a Locust looking down at her, the underslung pulse lasers moving to track her. It was only on her second glance that she saw that this one lacked the scarred canopy from Hooker’s grenade.

“Lieutenant,” she mumbled into her radio. “There are two of them. Two Locusts.”

There was no reply and Miracle rolled painfully to her knees, raising both hands above her head in surrender.

Crimson, Salonika
22 June 2578

When the SLDF forces moved for the capital, they did so with the ponderous power of an avalanche. Battlemechs and tanks flooded over hills stripped barren by generations of exploitation, quite incidentally destroying the sparse trees and grass that ecologists had laid down to attempt the beginnings of recovery.

The Thirty-First Division was in the lead, its single regiment of BattleMechs acting as a reserve for the brigades of tanks and mechanised infantry that fanned out ahead of the advance. Their objective was to find the defences so that the BattleMechs could force a breach.

At that point, the Thirty-Second Division, packed up behind them, would exploit the breach with a spearhead of a consolidated BattleMech brigade and two supporting brigades built around Gallant and Turhan urban tanks to handle the no doubt fierce streetfighting as they bulled through the city to seize the Crystal Palace and with it, the Magistracy.

With their intentions clear, the Magistracy’s defenders rushed to position themselves in the defence of their capital. Until now the three divisions of the Royal Guards had been scattered to protect each of the three principal cities. Until the Canopian Highlanders could arrive from Astarte or the Cuirassiers from Delphi, that rested the defences of Crimson upon the soldiers of Raventhir’s Iron Hand and of the Thirteenth Militia Brigade.

James Raventhir, scion of the Canopian’s most famous military dynasty, had been entrusted with one of the massive Khan BattleMechs that had only begun to arrive from factories safely in the Trznadel Cluster. Ten tons heavier than any other design used by the MAF’s battlemech forces (in fact, tonnage equal to that of their ‘Corn series battle tanks), the Khan was a battlefield juggernaut but the line it was reinforcing was all too slim.

The young man tried to focus on the voice of Colonel Leona Patrice via the network of landlines that engineers had laid across the lines that the Iron Hand would be defending, and to ignore the sweat that was staining his hands as they gripped the controls.

“We have enemy units idenfitied at a range of only two thousand metres.” The colonel’s voice was cool and unaffected.  “We get one chance at a first salvo, don’t anyone waste it.”

James looked again at the ground ahead of him. His Khan was crouched behind the military crest of the hill, entirely masked until it stood tall and took a few steps to shoot down over the hill and into narrowing valley that the highway to Crimson followed. It was an obvious firing position, but fighters from the militia fighter regiment as well as the remaining naval aerospace squadrons were contesting the clouded sky fiercely so the SLDF could not be sure. No doubt, they moment that they did learn of it, orbital fire would be called for.

Colonel Patrice’s plan therefore called for a more mobile battle, hopefully stalling the enemy vanguard until reinforcements from the Royal Guards could arrive. First Battalion, along with the battle tanks of the Iron Hand’s heavy brigade and the milita artillery would strike from the western hills and Third Battalion, along with the rest of the militia and the light brigade would charge from the eastern hills.

If they failed, then all that stood between the SLDF and Crimson was the Thetis River with its broken bridges and Second Battalion to hopefully break up any crossing.

James looked left and then right. The rest of his lance – a pair of Marauders and a Striker – were lined up to his left. He knew Cole and Avellar (no relation to the Great House of the same name) were both veterans but Lucrezia Shihuin was just out of the Quatre. To his right were the rest of H Company, with Commander Marthe Sloan’s lance of four Balam looking very similar to their Marauder progenitors. Beyond them were the scout lance, mixing Stinger and Phoenix Hawks.

“All green, Lucky?” he asked the novice mechwarrior, surprised his voice wasn’t shaking. When she affirmed readiness James enquired the same of the rest of his lance before switching up to the company net. “Commander Sloan, my lance is fully ready.”

“Good to know, Ensign. And your lance, Jeraldine?”

James rolled his eyes. Sloane probably hadn’t even checked her own lance. She and Ensign Jeraldine St Clair were old hands, with plenty of experience, but they were also not notable for spit and polish. While that wasn’t the be all and end all, it did mean that they occasionally came off as sloppy which was why neither was likely to rise above company command.

What was in their favour was that they were good combat officers. The Royal Guards might parade more often than most of the Magistracy Army, but that wasn’t their first duty.

And at least thinking about that had taken his mind off the coming action.

“Range to marker one-twenty is now seven hundred metres,” advised an anonymous voice, followed by Colonel Patrice: “All units, advance and open fire!”

James brought the Khan upright in the same movement that started it walking up above the line of the hill. He felt the ‘Mech adjusting itself as the neurohelmet took directions from his inner ear, forestalling the possibility of overbalancing. Between that and keeping an eye on his lance it was not until the assault ‘Mech was standing fully exposed that he really took in the SLDF forces ranged ahead of him.

There were dozens of them, many armoured personnel carriers and scout cars forming the recon screen of the oncoming division. Coldly, James brought his crosshairs across a platoon of wheeled personnel carriers. As the crosshairs flashed gold over each, he triggered one extended-range particle cannon and then moved to the next target, firing all four of his weapons in turn. Two shots, the first and third, hit home and the small infantry carriers came to a halt, their guts – and occupants – torn apart by the powerful weapons. Now he was sweating for reasons other than nerves.

“Good shooting, Raven’.”

James turned and saw that the rest of his lance had let him fire first. That was smart – their PPCs were older, shorter range weapons with no more reach than the autocannons that each of the three BattleMechs sported. Waiting not only let them take their cue from him, it brought the advancing SLDF forces into their own range.

Only one of their PPCs hit home, with Avellar tearing a strip of armour from a hovertank without slowing the machine. Cole turned her autocannon towards the other Marauder pilot’s target and both fired cluster rounds, as if taking offense at the insult of the tank surviving the hit. One of the shots – impossible to tell which – ripped several gaping holes in the side-skirt of the hovertank, sending it slewing into a spin until it came to rest. The crew, probably quite dizzy, did not disembark immediately.

“Take that tank’s turret out, Lucky,” James ordered, implicitly warning the two Marauder jocks to let the newbie take the shot. He moved his crosshairs and fired his PPCs again, this time slamming all four shots towards the same target, a helicopter trying to dart up over the hill to find out what else was lurking there. Unfortunately none of the shots struck.

In the distance James saw the distant dust-clouds marking advancing Merkava and Marsden tanks suddenly gain animation as artillery shells and missiles began to pound their path. The Magistracy Army allocated each brigade a full artillery battalion and Colonel Patrice was making full use of having effectively a regiment of self-propelled artillery at her disposal.

Hig above the battle, contrails and explosions marked where the battle for the sky was raging.

A squadron of Tomahawk aerospace fighters were chasing down their own number of Tseen She. The Canopian strike fighters weren’t tough enough to take that sort of pounding and two of them came apart almost immediately under the lasers of the SLDF fighters.

Savitri Centrella didn’t like seeing her pilots cut out of the sky. In fact she took it very much personally. Fortunately she was in a position to do something about it and with a terse order to the squadron supporting her, she yanked back on her control stick and jammed the throttle of her new Grondr wide open.

The Magestrix had traded in her Lightning for the newer design as soon as it became available. It was bigger, faster and more heavily armed than anything she’d ever flown. And except for the squadron following her, almost all of them had been destroyed in the last few days. Fortunately the factories were a safe distance away and more would be coming.

Centring her crosshairs over a Tomahawk, Savitri triggered her missile launchers. There were three of them, and all had managed to lock onto the medium fighter so forty-five fire-and-forget missiles leapt from the racks and smashed into the underside of the smaller fighter. Then a second volley, this one from Savitri’s wingman did the same. The Tomahawk, trailing smoke, broke off and the Magestrix let it go, blasting up past the altitude of the SLDF fighter’s wingman and then cutting thrust briefly, kicking the rudder to make a controlled tumble as she did in order to bring herself around to drop down upon the other Tomahawk.

This one managed to twist aside and avoid missile lock from Savitri’s wingman but the Magestrix was another matter, stripping almost half a ton of armour off one wing with her lasers and then slamming another volley of missiles into it. Explosions tore through the left flank of the Tomahawk and it went into a spiralling descent, the pilot ejecting when it became clear that there was no saving the machine.

Glancing around the radar Savitri saw no other nearby threats to the Tseen She squadron and plunged her Grondr down towards the deck, the other fighters following her like a flock of birds. “Blackwing to squadron: damage?” she enquired.

“None.”

“None.”

“Light armour damage. One missile launcher out.”

“None.”

“None.”

She nodded her head slightly inside the cockpit and debated for a second whether to send the damaged Grondr back to Crimson for repairs. No, she decided. Never give an order that won’t be obeyed: none of her squadron would retreat unless she personally did so as well. “Fine. Stay with me, we’re going to give the Tseen She cover.

The five surviving conventional fighters had regrouped and were returning to their mission. Within moments each of the militia fighters had an escorting aerospace fighter, Savitri and her wingman doubling up to cover one of them.

Beneath the fighters, SLDF forces were battering at Raventhir’s Iron Hand. The defenders had already thrown in their reserves to counter the Thirty-First Division’s BattleMechs and they were holding, for now. The five Tseen She dove across the lines of an SLDF ‘Mech company, strafing the ranks with their lasers. Behind them, the Grondr – less suited to this tactic – focused instead on the helicopters that had been scouting for the little force. Neither stood any chance at all against the sudden volleys of missiles that swatted them easily out of the sky.

As they flew past, Savitri could see that only one of the SLDF ‘Mechs had fallen, but all bore scarred armour from the attacks, They’d be weaker and more vulnerable when they encountered Canopian forces, which was good enough for now.

The attack had not been without its price for the aircraft however. Laser fire from Helepolis and Kyudo ‘Mechs had slashed deeply into the Tseen She, two of which were trailing ominous smoke.

“This is Blackwing to the militia fighters,” the Magestrix ordered, knowing that the militia would have recognised the solid black paint that covered the left wing of her Grondr. While her squadron all adopted the same paintjob in an attempt to mask her precise location, everyone in the CNR knew that the Magestrix had flown with those markings since the Battle of Borgan’s Rift. Some said it was in mourning for the Canopians killed under her command, while others identified it as a kill marker for the Death Commandos who died when the Magestrix’s wings targeted their dropships with nuclear warheads. “Break off for repairs, we’ll escort you back.”

The ‘air-breathers’ obediently scurried back in the direction of their support forces with a quiet: “Many thanks, Blackwing.” Rather than operating out of a fixed air-field that would be a relatively easy target for orbital bombardment the militia were instead using their craft’s VTOL capacity to hide the fighters in relatively small paved areas of Crimson, repairs carried out by the same convoys that refuelled and reloaded them.

For now the aerospace fighters, with their far more demanding logistics were using the underground defense hangers. Savitri was aware that it was a luxury that could not last: sooner or later the SLDF would locate all of the entrances. The two that had been discovered so far had been subjected to orbital bombardments that had effectively closed them for use, in one case with a mixed squadron of Reivers and Thunderbirds inside. Those fighters were as much out of the fight as if they had been destroyed: it would take days to dig them out and any attempt would be painfully obvious.

Crimson, Salonika
23 June 2578

James drained the last dregs from the bottled energy drink. The liquid was the first refreshment he’d had in hours. Despite the arrival of the Cuirassiers and the Highlanders on the SLDF’s flanks they were continuing to advance and the battered Iron Hand regiments were having trouble even slowing them down, much less stopping them.

At midnight the Mechs and tanks of the Thirty-First Division had paused, clearly exhausted. However, they had done so not only to rest but also to let the relatively fresh Thirty-Second Division through their ranks.

More then three hundred battlemechs was more – far more -  than the weary Raventhir’s Iron Hand could stop, especially since their artillery – ammunition expended – had been in mid-retreat to a supply point.

“Army Command, this is Captain Raventhir,” he reported. “I have a mixed battlegroup south of Hill Seventy-Five. Can you give me a vector back to the rest of the regiment.”

For a long moment there was nothing but the snap and hiss of static.

Finally: “Captain Raventhir, can you confirm that you are at Hill Seventy-Five, not Seventeen-Five?”

James’s face reddened. Seventeen-Five was a hill more or less between Crimson and the bridges over the Thetis River – probably where the rest of the defense forces were rallying. Seventy-Five was considerably to the east. Faced with a full battalion of Star League Banshee, Thunderbolts and Guillotines, he’d broken contact to rally the remnants of his force: less than a company of survivors from Third Battalion, together with fewer than twenty Pegasus hovertanks from the militia and a company of Minotaur medium tanks from one of the Iron Hand tank regiments.

“Yes,” he confirmed tightly. “Seven-Five.”

“Wait one, Captain.”

Infuriated at the implied slight: that he had run away from the fight, rather than rejoining the next defense line, James closed his microphone and swore out loud.

“James,” a different voice said over the channel. A woman, voice familiar to him. Familiar to essentially any Canopian.

He switched the microphone on. “Yes, Magestrix.”

“Glad you’re holding on, cousin,” she said warmly. “Even more so that you’re right where I need someone. I have a mission for you.”

“Your highness, I’ll do what I can but my troops are short of ammo and rest.”

He could imagine her nodding. “Understood. We’re going to try to send you ammo, but rest will have to wait. The Star League has built a pontoon bridge across the Thetis to move their tanks and supporting equipment over the river.”

“You want me to destroy it?” Why not an air strike, he wondered.

“Nothing so easy. The Cuirassiers and the Highlanders can ford the river with their ‘Mechs but most of their infantry and tanks will need a bridge and we demolished the others trying to slow the SLDF down. I need those forces to finish the SLDF before they can reach the centre of Crimson. I need that bridge intact.”

“Sir, one ortillery shot...”

“I’m ordering our warships to give you cover. It won’t last long but hopefully long enough.” Unspoken was that the remaining warships would be badly outnumbered.

In the end an airdrop wasn’t possible but a handful of hovertrucks raced out from a nearby militia depot, carrying pallets of long and short range missiles. What little autocannon ammunition remained would need to be husbanded carefully.

The only other survivor of James’ lance ran behind him as the force ran down the road towards the location of the bridge. Lucrezia ‘Lucky’ Shihuin had lived up to her nickname. The Striker’s autocannon was out of action but she still had her lasers and PPC. Even more fortunately she’d forgotten to dump her ammunition bin so their half-empty contents had been loaded quickly into the magazines of the other Striker and the force’s one Marauder.

“All units,” James reminded them. “We have to take the bridge intact – so when we charge feel free to shout about destroying the bridge on your loudspeakers. Maybe they’ll be gullible enough to ‘protect’ it from us.”

He looked around one last time. They were ready. “Alright, let’s do this.” The force took their speed from him but that was only really holding back the Pegasus hovertanks and they would be unleashed soon enough. That didn’t mean that he was delaying and the force that was spread out in a loose wedge behind his Khan were moving at more than fifty kilometres an hour when they crested the hill above the bridge.

“Cavalry!” James shouted, distantly noting contrails in the sky above him: “Charge!”

Seventeen Pegasus hovertanks roared past him, aiming for the riverbank: their mission was to take control of the opposite bank. The near bank and the scratch battalion that must be all that was left of Thirty-First Division’s BattleMech forces, were James’ problem to deal with.

Miles behind him, tens of thousands of Canopian citizens filed through their local police stations and other official buildings accepting laser rifles, spare power packs and the armband that – in theory – made them uniformed combatants under the Ares Conventions. They too could see the contrails rising.

In theory all Canopians did military service in their teens but most provided their national service in non-combatant roles. Basic self-defense, which in the periphery included the use of a rifle, was universal however. There had been no official recall: just an announcement that volunteers would be welcomed.

The Support Corps personnel handing out the weapons tried not to think too hard about the results of the SLDF’s vengeful troopers fighting their way deep enough into Crimson that armed civilians were needed.

The contrails were the remaining Canopian aerospace squadrons making for the orbitals. Savitri and the other three surviving Blackwings were near the middle of the little formation, their Grondr straining to reach escape velocity, burdened as each they were with a pair of five kiloton nuclear weapons.

Terra, Terran Hegemony
24 June 2578

Air defences were alerted as soon as the first radar signatures indicating that wings of aerospace fighters were making their descent upon the Pacific North-west.

Ground stations hurled missiles upwards while discreet turrets around the Court of the Star League brought autocannon up to cover the skies and lances of the garrison sallied forth from their underground hangers to provide a last layer of defence: Rifleman and Archer BattleMechs. While fire blazed filled the sky, Nicholas Cameron marched his lance to cover the seaward approaches: reports from the radar stations suggested that the formations of fighters were descending over the Pacific and would presumably be making a low approach on the Court from that direction.

“How many are coming in at us, sir?” asked Sergeant Hernandez, correctly presuming that Nicholas would be well informed.

The young Cameron ran his targeting systems across the horizon. “Depends how many the fixed defences bring down. The estimate was five aero-regiments – perhaps three hundred – entering the atmosphere. Our own fighters will need as much support as we can give them.” He didn’t bother to point out that there were only a battalion of BattleMechs to protect the Court of the Star League. A conflict between aerospace fighters and a ground fortress was always unpredictable.

A crackle of jamming interrupted the tactical net for a moment. A few moments later, the familiar voice of the defense co-ordinator came across. “Our communications may lapse, soldiers. Enemy fighters have been engaged well short of the shore but it’s estimated that there may be as many as eighty enemy fighters operating below the level of radar coverage. Be on guard.”

“Eighty!?” Hernandez exclaimed. “Well it’s better than three hundred!”

“Don’t think of it as eighty hostiles, think of it as eighty targets,” suggested Nicholas with dark humour. He opened the covers on his Archer’s missile launchers, glad of the advanced heatsinks that the ‘Mechs of the defense battalion had been refitted with. Where most battlemechs of this class would occasionally need to cut back their rate of fire to cool down, the SLDF’s new models could sustain their full firepower as long as their ammunition lasted. Of course that would mean that they would run through that ammunition faster. “Defence command, this is Franklin Lead. Please advise as to the nearest resupply point.”

“Understood Franklin Lead. There are crews mov- ... –hatch four-t ... alpha ...”

Nicholas tapped his helmet. “Come back, Defence Command?”

There was no reply but the whine and spit of static. Jamming again! He switched to use his loudspeakers. “Someone’s close enough to jam our radios. Report any sightings immediately.”

There were similar shouts from other officers resorting to the same means and Nicholas brought his Archer down behind one of the sturdily built buildings above the beaches, not caring that one foot crushed the rear of a car that had been left parked there.

A call went up and he looked to see a Rifleman bringing its arms up to point out to sea. Tracers rippled outwards and following them Nicholas saw the enemy.

They were low enough that their wake was visible in the water.

Lightning lashed back from the oncoming fighters towards the shoreline and the Rifleman reeled backwards, armour erupting away from the heavy BattleMech’s chest.

Nicholas locked his crosshairs over one of the oncoming fighters and fired everything. The lasers in each arm of his Archer lashed out and he thought he saw parts of the fuselage deforming under hits. Then all forty of the long range missiles from his salvo rushed past his sight picture and enough hit that he briefly lost visual contact before the fighter continued, clearly damaged but undeterred.

“They’re going to overshoot!” he called out, turning his Archer around. “Catch them on the way out!”

Then on the compressed display that ran along the top of his cockpit HUD – a three hundred and sixty degree view compressed into only one hundred and sixty – he saw the fighter and it’s brethren appear to come apart in mid-air. Engine pods cut out and then dropped down, almost like... legs? Was this intentional?

All doubt fell away as the engines roared to life again and the fighters came almost to a complete stop, their distorted – almost vulture-like – shapes descending over the beach. And the defenders, having turned around in expectation of firing at the vulnerable rear of the the aerospace fighters had instead exposed their own backs to the enemy.

Outnumbered two to one, with the Land-Air Mechs of the Filtvet Commonwealth Marine Corps concentrating on the notoriously thin-armoured Rifleman, the defense battalion lost a dozen casualties in as many seconds.

“Fallback into the city!” ordered Major Siembieda a moment before his ammunition, stored against his Rifleman’s reactor, detonated – spreading parts of both ‘Mech and Major across the beach.

Nicholas turned his Archer to follow the order but Hernandez’s ‘Mech thrust out one arm, pushing him in another direction. “Not that way sir. You’re heading for the supply point – hatch four-two alpha. It’s the fastest way to get you under cover.”

“Goddamn you Hernandez, I’m an officer of the SLDF!”

“No sir. You’re the Director-General’s heir and there isn’t a man here who doesn’t have orders for what to do if the fight went against us today.”

Crimson, Salonika
24 June 2578

The particle cannon punched through the damaged SLDF Kyudo’s fusion reactor dead centre. A moment later silver fire engulfed the ‘Mech and James backed his Khan up another pace, turning his head to look for another target.

The PPC in his ‘Mech’s right arm was its only remaining weapon and the armour beneath the many rents in his armour was stained with the coolant fluid that had leaked out like blood. A Warhammer drew his attention to it by blasting the last armour covering the weapon with its own PPCs.

Much to James’ surprise the weapon status remained green and he fired a second time. The shot shattered the smaller ‘Mech’s right shoulder, dropping the arm below to the ground as well as melting half the missile launcher that rose up from the joint.

Without hesitating, the Warhammer raised its other arm, pointing the muzzle of the Donal PPC directly at the scarred faceplate covering James’ cockpit.

The young Raventhir started in squarely into the darkness inside, wondering if he was imagining the glow. I guess it’s my turn now, he thought.

Then more than ninety tons of aerospace fighter hit the Warhammer like a bulldozer. The blunt wedge cut the heavy ‘Mech virtually in two and then whatever dregs of fuel remained within the Grondr’s tanks exploded. James watched numbly as one black wing spun up into the sky and then crashed down to the torn up ground beside him.

Only then did he look up and see the parachute unfurling in the sky above him and off to his right. The pilot must have ejected after setting up a collision course he realised.

A series of explosions ripped through the SLDF forces and James glanced around to see a lance of Bicorns crawling over the bridge, which was rocking alarmingly from the recoil as the main guns hurled two hundred kilogram shells up the slope. Behind them, he could see more heavy tanks lining up to risk the pontoons: the heavy tank regiments had arrived at last. A second bridge - this one of cannon shells, gauss rifle slugs and the heavy missiles being fired across the river. They weren’t hitting much – the range was too long for accurate fire – but they were an eloquent promise of what the SLDF could expect once they had crossed.

The disintegtration of a Merkava that was unfortunate enough to be caught between the impact of two of the cutdown artillery shells being thrown by the Bicorns apparently wasn’t a hint to back off. Then again, it was also showing them what they were trying to keep from crossing the river so it wasn’t too surprising that instead they pressed forwards in a desperate attempt to break down the bridge.

James estimated the point where the ejected pilot would land and moved forward to shield them from the attack. His little force was perhaps half the size that it had been and few of the survivors were in better shape than his Khan. His PPC tore the arm off a Phoenix Hawk and he slammed into the smaller ‘Mech a moment later, the impact sending it to the ground. Without pause James trampled over it, driving one foot directly through its shoulder to destroy its remaining arm.

He had misjudged slightly the point to which the parachute was descending – perhaps the wind had moved. The pilot landed briefly upon the arm of his Khan, then slipped off, her parachute flaring slightly, slowing the landing to a survivable one.

Behind him the Bicorns were rumbling off the bridge – pockmarked with damage as it was the SLDF had built it well enough to handle their weight – too well for their own good.

James crouched the Khan over the pilot. “Are you hurt?” he asked over his loudspeakers.

The woman stretched out each limb in turn, then shook her helmeted head and glanced around. She adjusted her helmet.

“Don’t tell me that it is you, James Raventhir?” she asked, her voice coming from his radio. “Really, I half-expected you to be dead by now.”

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, your highness.”

“Oh, don’t confuse expectations with desires. I’m rather afraid most of those who’ve fought with me today have not been so fortunate.” There was a darkness in the voice of Savitri Centrella. “I guess you must be a bad penny, just like me.”

“And above us?”

“Don’t concern yourself. The worst you need concern yourself with is the chance that fragments of their ships may land on our heads.” She looked around. “Please let me into your cockpit, I need to use your radio to get in touch with my Command Center.”

James lowered one arm, opening the manipulator so that she could stand upon in. From the stiffness of Savitri’s movements he guessed that her earlier assertion that she was uninjured had been overly optimistic – if nothing else she must have taken quite a bruising during her ejection. Even so, when he raised the manipulator up to his cockpit she scrambled easily enough in behind him.

Not a mechwarrior, it took a moment for the Magestrix to unfold the jumpseat behind James’ command couch and locate the headset. Then she adjusted the communications panel. “General Tellaverde. This is Magestrix Savitri Centrella. Authenticate my voice print.”

There was a brief pause. “I’m ready to do so.”

“Power is a drug. Its addiction is the cause of all evils.”

James heard relief in the voice of the commander of the Royal Guards. “There was concern that you might have...”

“Too many have already. It’s possible that I’m the only survivor of the entire battle above us. What is the situation down here?”

“The Highlanders and Cuirassiers are squeezing them like toothpaste, your highness. But that’s pressing them against the Iron Hand and that’s...”

“Yes. It’s possible to ask too much. But we have one more strategm to try: it’s drastic and radical but let’s try talking to them. Can you retransmit my signal on all channels?”

“Of course. You might even think that we’re in the media capital of known space. We’ll have you going out to everyone in two minutes.”

Savitri’s smile spread at the joke. “Then let’s do so. Because I have something to say.”

“What are you going to tell them?” James asked.

“Well... I thought I’d start with the truth. It has a certain novelty.”

“Soldiers of the Star League.”

“You are surrounded on all sides.”

“On this scarred ground stand the armies and the militia of Canopus.”

“Above you, the skies have been scoured of your comrades.

“Beneath your very feet the rich world of Canopus rejects your presence.”

“And in the hearts of mankind your cause stands ruined for as we speak the fleets and legions of the periphery have brought our rejection to Terra itself.”

“In recognition of your defeat, I, Savitri Centralla: pilot, mother, leader, offer you this day the chance to surrender with honour. To return to your homes without further sacrifice. To lower your weapons and march from Canopus beneath your own banners as proud soldiers who have accomplished all that could possibly have been done in the impossible quest that you were sent out upon.”

“But if you feel that you cannot or will not accept it then I shall remind you of wisdom six hundred and seventy seven years old:”
“That the Woman that God gave him
Every fibre of her frame
Proves her launched for one sole issue
Armed and engine for the same
And to serve that sole issue
Lest the generations fail
The female of the species
Must be deadlier than the male”

Terra, Terran Hegemony
24 June 2578

“Look at my city, in flames.” Ian Cameron’s face was hollow as he watched the view from the surviving cameras above. Never in his worst nightmares had he expected to see SLDF Archers being brought down by Periphery Battlemechs on the streets of Unity City.

A general touched his shoulder. “Sir, we have reports that your son is back under cover. I recommend he be sent to the escape submarine. We can have you all at the Bering Tunnel in twenty-four hours and in Geneva the day after.”

Ian hesitated and then nodded. “Agreed. Shandra...”

“Don’t even think about some kind of noble gesture,” she warned him. “The Hegemony needs your leadership.”

After I’ve done so well by them? Ian thought darkly but instead he nodded his head. “I need a few things from my personal safe. I suggest that you collect anything you want to bring with you.”

The hatch moved slowly due to damage done to the frame, but Ian Cameron was able to force it open with his shoulder. He was aware that it would be only moments before his security caught up with him – Shandra would have realised by now that he was not in his own room within the deep bunker complex, nor on his way to the escape submarine waiting in its dock to carry him away under the Pacific.

According to his recollection, the hatch should have opened into the backwall of one of the many public conveniences that discreetly dotted the ornamental gardens. Like most such buildings the windows were small and high on the wall, but daylight flooded across him as he exited. The western half of the room was simply gone and the First Lord of the Star League looked out at the panoramic ruin that he’d intended to be the capital city of the entire human race.

Surprisingly few of the buildings were in flames, but other than the damage caused by the brief battle between the periphery landing force most of the destruction had been systematic as the ‘flying battlemechs’ that had landed were deliberately smashing down buildings with their fists. Ian still didn’t know what to call the machines. What sort of twisted mind would create a hybrid of aerospace fighter and battlemech?

Fortunately for his peace of mind he could see no bodies, although the wreckage of at least two SLDF battlemechs made it clear that the brief battle for control of the Court of the Star League had not been entirely bloodless.

Gathering his resolve and fuelled in part by anger at the deliberate vandalism, Ian walked out into full view of the ‘Mechs that were tearing at the city – his city! – like a pack of carrion birds.

At first, it seemed that none had seen him. And certainly a lone man in dress uniform would hardly seem like a threat to them. Nonetheless one of them broke off from tearing down one of the Bureau of Star League Affairs buildings and bounded across two hundred metres of part towards him in a single easy flare of jump jets. In mid-air the machine twisted and turned upon itself like a child’s toy and what landed was not the bird-like shape that had taken off but a more humanoid BattleMech that looked fairly similar to a  Phoenix Hawk.

He was fairly sure that one of the muzzles aimed almost-but-not-quite at him must be an anti-personnel weapon of some kind – a laser rather than a machinegun, which was vaguely interesting but not exactly pertinent to his immediate concerns.

Ian looked around again and then raised both hands slowly above his head.

“I am Director-General of the Terran Hegemony,” he called out, speaking slowly and clearly. He had to choke down a sob before he could manage the next words. “I am here to surrender. Take me to your leader.”

TCS Samantha Calderon, Orbit
Terra, Terran Hegemony
25 June 2578

After a shuttle – Canopian-built - had rushed down to Unity City to take custody of him, Ian Cameron had been surprised to find himself mostly left alone. He’d been ushered into a guarded VIP room aboard the battleship – a room that had nothing more than privacy to recommend it – and been permitted to call on a steward although a squad of marines were posted in easy reach of his door.

For a while he’d waited, pacing back and forth the across the cramped compartment, expecting to be called before an admiral or a diplomatic team. When it became evident that this was not evident he had removed his shoes and tried to nap.

Sleep eluded him. Had Nicholas and Shandra reached the submarine safely? Were the Taurians and their allies landing elsewhere on Terra?

By Ian’s watch it had been thirteen hours since his arrival when the door opened to reveal a young man in the dress uniform of an AFFS junior officer. “Director-General Cameron, please accompany me.”

A sharp look from Ian matched the officer’s features to the distorted face he’d seen through a helmet visor during the hour he was watched over by his captors on the grond. “You’re the one who I surrendered to.”

“Yes sir. You’re in my custody, technically, for a few more minutes.” The man gestured towards the door. “Now if you would please.”

It was not a question or an invitation, but at least it was being phrased as one rather than as a demand. Ian complied and was ushered down a hallway and up a cramped flight of stairs – the ship was not under thrust at the moment, making it a relatively easy ascent – to a compartment little larger than that he had left. Rather than a small bunk and desk, this one had a table surrounded by fixed benches. Two men and two women sat on one side, Ian was ushered to the other.

“Sir, I present to you Director General Ian Cameron of the Terran Hegemony.”

“Thank you, lieutenant,” replied the taller of the men – a lanky Federated Suns officer with swarthy mediterranean features. No, not Federated Suns – the sword on his insignia was backed by a star field rather than the sunburst. This then, was the officer representing the Suns’ bastard offspring, Filtvet. “I accept responsibility for him.”

The other three ran the gamut of appearances – two Taurian Admirals, the man red-faced and middle-aged but with a look of command, the woman petite with a dramatic red tattoo around her eyes; and the last woman in Canopian blues and evidently crammed in behind the table with some difficulty – Ian estimated her to be the tallest person there and none of the men were small.

“Director-General,” the Filtvet officer began the introductions. “I am Admiral Jeffrey B. Global, the Arch-Duchess’ Champion. This is Admiral of the Fleet Garius Cain and Admiral Rukia Fukuda of the Taurian Concordat Navy and this is Admiral Stephanie Carringtion of the Royal Canopian Navy.”

“Canopian Navy Royal,” Carrington corrected with the air of someone who didn’t really expect the reminder to accomplish anything.

“Yes. The Canopian Royal Navy. My apologies.”

Carrington glared at Global who appeared quite ignorant of the fact he’d mangled the name of her service for a second time. “Let’s be about this.”

Cain leant forwards over the table, locking his eyes onto Ian. “We are authorised to represent our governments in preliminary discussion of terms for your surrender. Ambassadors from all the Periphery states will be here within weeks to finalise them.”

“I understand.”

“You offered surrender to Lieutenant Sopwith. Did you speak for your own person or for the Hegemony.”

“I spoke then for myself and will now speak for the Terran Hegemony.”

“Very well. The Taurian Concordat offers the Terran Hegemony the opportunity to surrender conditionally. The terms we offer are that the Terran Hegemony will renounce in general and in detail the Star League and all organisations and treaties associated with the Star League. The Hegemony will also pay reparations to the Federated Suns for the economic attacks launched upon them between 2555 and 2567. The Terran Hegemony will cede all rights to those worlds currently shared with the Federated Suns to First Prince Alexander Davion and to those worlds currently shared with the Capellan Confederation to Chancellor Ursula Liao. The Terran Hegemony Armed Forces, as reconstituted following the dissolution of the Star League Defense Force may not exceed one million armed soldiers nor one hundred megatons of shipping. The Taurian Concordat will be granted basing rights within the Terran Hegemony for the next ninety-nine years as guarantor of your security and of your adherence to these terms.”

Ian looked Cain in the eye. “I refuse.”

“Director-General, you do not have the luxury of clinging to the Star League.”

Carrington cleared her throat. “What conditions are you offering to surrender under, Director-General?” Then she held up one hand. “And if you’re planning on bargaining due to the fleet you sent to attack Canopus IV, we’re aware of it and at last report they were heavily engaged with the defences. No order you give now will change the outcome and we can reinforce far more rapidly than you can.”

“Nonetheless,” Ian began, trying not to let his disappointment show. “The terms that you’re asking for are unacceptable. Without the Star League the Hegemony will be surrounded by hostile states, including your allies the Federated Suns. It’s all very well to promise that you’ll come to our defence but the Hegemony is a long way from the Concordat and a long way down your line of priorities.”

“Our word is good,” Cain declared, red-faced.

The Director-General shook his head. “I will renounce the Star League – the grand experiment has failed, I admit that – and surrender the shared worlds. You can have the basing rights as well – I’m not so naive as to believe that you’ll trust us immediately. But if we can’t rebuild our defences then you might as well start carving up the Hegemony now.”

“Sounds good to me, let’s do that.”

Global coughed. “I think there’s some room for negotiation, Admiral Cain. Do you not agree, Admiral Carringon?”

“I do. And I think we can speak confidently here for the rest of the Periphery states.”

Rukia Fukuda cleared her throat. “Admiral, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. This is just a preliminary discussion.”

Cain scowled furiously. “Perhaps you’re right. We’ll let the diplomats discuss this.” He rose to his feet. “I’ll let the three of you deal with it until they get here.”

As he was sitting at the far end of the table, the other officers had to stand up to let him leave – in fact Carrington actually had to step into the gangway to make space.

“Admiral Cain is perhaps not temprementally suited to negotiating,” Admiral Fukuda offered in excuse once they had resumed their seats. “Perhaps you would consider a limit if your neighbours also agreed to one?”

Ian steepled his fingers. “A higher limit perhaps.”
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:14:44 AM by drakensis »

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2012, 01:05:48 AM »

Epilogue

Fort Jaime, Santiago
Outworlds Alliance
4 July 2578

Natasha Kerensky had dyed her hair blonde at some point in the last year. It whipped behind her like a tail as she walked into Jaime Wolf’s office without knocking. He had to wonder if she might plan on getting a catgirl biomod from the Canopians at some point. Such a change would be anathema to most of the Dragoons, smacking of genecaste to the old crew and of outright decadence to the more recent recruits but that might simply encourage Natasha.

“They’ve made it official Jaime.” Her voice was softer and friendlier than usual – most of her troops would have found it unrecognisable. “The Star League has surrendered and the individual states are making peace.”

Seated behind a cluttered desk, Jaime Wolf nodded acknowledgement but his eyes were directed at something far away. Though a small man, his presence had always conveyed an aura of strength and confidence but the last year and a half had been a strain in ways not apparent to outsiders.

“So it ends,” he said out loud. “And perhaps so it begins.”

“You can’t be still clinging to the idea that they’re still out there, can you?” Natasha leant forwards over the desk. “The survey reports are pretty clear: once you get out past the Outworlds Alliance or any of the periphery states you find the stars and planets of the twenty-sixth century, not the thirty first. There’s nothing else out there.”

“We don’t know why it happened. Nor do we know that other regions may not have been affected.”

“Jaime, let it go! The mission is over! We should get back to strength and go kick some ass!”

He laughed, tension flowing out of him. “Honestly, Natasha, there’s nothing I’d like more. But we need to know for certain. We’ve still got three regiments and five warships – that’s enough to take out another contract but I’m sending an expedition out to the Pentagon.”

“Hey, you’re not sending me! That’s a two year round trip!”

“I wouldn’t be so bold. No, Mackenzie can lead it – he could do with the experience, and we can give him a good crew of veterans.”

Natasha nodded. “Feels like just yesterday he was only knee high. You’re getting old, Jaime.”

“Not that old. Or is that a subtle hint that you’d like an assignment hunting bandits?”

“Anything but that,” she said feelingly. “Who’s hiring?”

“There’s no central hall like Galatea, although there do seem to be a lot of mercenaries under contract – mostly retirees from House Militaries when they downsized to join the Star League and hired on when they realised there would be a war in the Periphery.”

“You’re thinking of hiring on with the Inner Sphere?”

“Possibly. Hehiro Kurita’s rebuilding his forces and I’m sure Kevin Steiner or Henry Gram would be more than glad to hire us.”

“Ugh! Another civil war?” protested Natasha. It was as close as she was going to get to reminding Jaime of the losses they had taken at the hands of Anton Marik.

Jaime leant back in his chair. “It’s the most action that we’re likely to see. With the way that wars are going, I’m not sure that any mercenary contracts better than security details will be available in future.”

“Seriously?”

“Warships won this war. Given how expensive they are, I’m not convinced a mercenary fleet is going to be feasible and Battlemechs...”

“That’s...” Natasha looked shocked. “But...”

“Feeling old?” He looked weary. “Maybe it’s time to follow Stark’s example. We could probably seize part of the Rim Worlds if we came to an agreement with Grimm and O’Reilly.”

“What a depressing thought. Going back to the Clans might be better than that. What are you going to tell them if they are there?”

“I’m still thinking about that. You know what they’re like.”

“Yeah. The Crusaders will explode when they hear what happened to the Star League and the Wardens...”

“If the Clans come here, if they invade the Inner Sphere... you realise that the latest Canopian battlemechs are more advanced than the ‘Mechs that Kerlin Ward gave us data for the last time we reported in. And then there’s the warships...”

Natasha whistled. “You think they’ll come?”

“Sooner or later, yes, I think that they will. And that’s going to be a rude awakening for a lot of trueborn warriors. The Snow Ravens will be appalled: their fleet is dwarfed by even the smallest state here.”

“Couldn’t they build a similar force?”

Jaime shook his head. Natasha could see new lines on his face. “A concerted effort by all the Clans - and you know how unlikely that is – would have trouble equalling the resources of even small fry like the Outer Reaches. And if reports are correct then the rimwards states are going to be forming up into opposing alliances – Calderon wants to lock the Federated Suns together with the Outworlds Alliance, Tortuga and Filtvet.”

The Black Widow nodded her understanding. “And since Centrella trusts everyone’s favourite nuke-lover about as far as she could throw him, she’s trying to get the Marians and House Marik to side with her. Ursula Liao will love that. Caught between two warring factions. Couldn’t happen to a nicer House.”

“Be fair. She’s not one of the crazy ones.” Jaime stretched out. “You know, maybe I won’t send Mackenzie. If the Clans are out there then they’ll take delicate handling and it’s a bit unfair to drop that on his shoulders. He can look after Alpha Regiment instead.”

“Whoa, you think he’s ready to look after the whole Dragoons.”

“Perhaps not, but a maybe a regiment. I can find someone else to look after the Dragoons for me.” A smile crossed his face, but it didn’t relieve Natasha – it was too mischievous for that. “I know just the person...”

“Ohhhh, no. Not me.”

“...Galaxy Commander.”

Fini
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:15:02 AM by drakensis »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lojtnant
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »

;D  Wow! Thank you for writing the story line!!!

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »

Hehe, Galaxy Commander nice.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »

For anyone interested: after a few weeks rest, the game that this story is based on will be resuming and has room for new players.

Recruitment is here
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up