OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Forging the Southern Cross  (Read 21678 times)

muttley

• Lojtnant
Re: Forging the Southern Cross
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »

Trying hard not to ubermunch this.  Wonder how much of the Pensacola Convoy reaches the Commonwealth...

Thinking the Commonwealth might have a Dart, Lola, or Mako.  A few older ships of the SLDF Naval Reserve from the cache near Tharkad might have been dispatched?
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:13 AM »

Small change Muttley it was a raid on the Penal Colony of Glasgow on the world of New Holland but minor switch

So the Pensacola Convoy stay in the Southern Cross as well?  Or did they return to the SLDF for or after the Reunification War?
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

muttley

• Lojtnant
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 12:28:16 AM »

I was thinking the Convoy was the last push from the SLDF before the Amaris Coup.  I can't imagine Amaris ignoring an organized force on the RWR's flank so I'm expecting some sort of attack by the "Periphery" 'Mech Divisions to try to smash LXXIII Corps.  The Convoy is isn't important to Amaris for the contents- he's planning to get so much more during the Coup but letting it reach the Commonwealth makes the potential threat to the RWR that much greater.

Do you guys think the Convoy made it? 
Once the Coup begins, Admiral Kurusato won't go swanning about in the Deeps.  His instincts will be to hit the RWR, especially any naval yards or bases. 
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 01:18:14 AM »

Two divisions, as I mentioned in the first post, in fact.

I'm wondering if the convoy ever arrives, actually.

MA

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 02:40:36 AM »

I think it might be nice for only the Pensacola and maybe 2 Vincents all battered beyond recognition (needing months of repairs in drydock) is all that makes it after a mega ambush.  The HPG net in Southern Cross dies (I'm guessing a Rim Worlds Assault or a disguised assault) and there's some trouble in the area it keeps the SLDF Garrison and the local defenders busy for a bit.  More than likely causes some casualties.

By the time they reorganize they can't reach the Inner Sphere by HPG they send back a WarShip Squadron to investigate what's going on with the SLDF.  Those ships find the SLDF is gone there's been an Exodus and the Corps has been left behind.  Only one or two WarShips makes it back as the Lyrans and then the Mariks attack them thinking they are the other Succession State as the First Succession War Begins.

As a result the Corps decide to insulate the Southern Cross, repair the ships they have damaged and try to rebuild what they have lost to the attack.  They listen to what is going on in the Inner Sphere and decide that its best to remain isolated for the time being.
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »

Dunedin is one of the Commonwealth's "garden" worlds.  If it were in the Inner Sphere, population would be 40-50 times as great.  What I am thinking is this:  only one or two billion+ populations, everything else in the 100s of millions (uncommon) or 10s of millions (common), or even smaller populations (VERY common).

So how many worlds/systems should the Confederation have?  A dozen?  Two dozen?  Forty?

MA

As I understand it this is a SLDF colonization of the Anti-Spinward (something I've written a couple of times) region somewhere beyond the old Rim Worlds arm.

1. Well first off your capital world is likely to have the most people which will establish your ceiling. Twelve billion is the top I know of in the BT universe and that was Terra under the Star League so ain't no way you have a star empire of thousands. The mid billion (five or so) is a House Capital which of course controls hundreds of worlds (say 200 to 500) and I would say unlikely for your setting. Low billions I suppose is possible as we have examples of as Periphery capital worlds (Canopus and Taurus) but I would not go beyond one for this exercise. You are not the Magistracy or the Concordat who each I believe have one, two, perhaps even three of this third tier high population worlds. They exist far longer and closer to the InnerSphere than you. A Tier 4 call it, hundreds of millions, capital world along with a few others is more plausible to me. Say half a dozen (6-8 at most) with populations of 500 plus million denizens is more likely. Go with 6 if you do a low billions capital. If not maybe 9 with many millions as your core worlds.

2. What date are you guys trying to write to? And the era is?? You have a few choices of course. 3025 is always a good starting point as it is where BT began in the first place and I'd love to hear the story of why this bunch of noble do gooders didn't get involved in the events of the InnerSphere or maybe they did? Or is it 3050 and what does this True Corps of the Star League to do now with the Return of Kerensky to the InnerSphere in its shocking Clan form. The Jihad of 3067, do Blakist find them and involve the Southern Cross in the events of their Holy War???

3. What population and technology do you have to support your force? It looks like you are trying to maintain (gulp) a SLDF Corps! That may not be possible. Such a force garrisoned 50 or more worlds during the height of the Star League and was maintained be its vast industry. You are in the sticks here kids. Just saying you might not have the industry to support this strength or the need for it as your area to defend might be forty worlds at the most.

4. Hidden Empire. I get the feeling we aren't advertising for the InnerSphere to come vacation here. So what happens to explorers and agents of the Houses and ComStar when they come calling? Perhaps they come as comissars among the refugees can't have them report back can we..

Few thoughts on your populace.

Initial colonists. Your core supporters who bought with you will obviously form the stalwart center of your culture but do they get overwhelmed by the next three population influxes I suggest? Are there idealists or reactionaries who want to go their own way in the future?

Refugees fleeing the early Succession Wars is very possible and given your location you could have a ton of Lyran, Marik, and Rim World denizens especially if your pro actively setup to rescue them. Such influxes which you don't really control over could lead to major problems especially early in the 1st Succession War (2785 to 2821) given the scale of transportation available not to mention if your trying to stay secret or a hidden empire. The scale of this exodus from the InnerSphere is going to slow as jumpships are annihilated but could continue through the 2nd Succession War say 2850.

Were there people in the region before their arrival? An Uplift Program to gather people as a resource around the region to give them a better life could work but poses some problems. Do folks want your help in the first place? Some are likely looking to get away from an unfortunate crash or colonial disaster that the SL might have helped them with but are there other groups like American Indians (Nomads or Survivalists) say who have established the simple life and don't want to be relocated to a reservation or be incorporated into your grand new empire?

A Liberator Program is something I could see this noble SLDF survivor force going out and smashing bandit kings, freeing slaves, capturing pirates, and bringing justice to the dark corners of this region.

Given all this I'd say your should be given MA comments between 24-40 inhabited star systems. 24 or more (upper limit 30) should be millions of people settlements as I think the Southern Cross wants to keep a well centered populace with the rest being low population colony worlds but it all depends on the time frame folks.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »

1.  I picture Perth in the low billions (no more than 3, probably closer to 2 than anything else).  And I agree with the rest, Takiro.  I was saying about Dunedin, that IF it were a world in the Inner Sphere, it would probably have a multi-billion population; but it is not.

2.  Looking for 3025.  But to get there from the beginning we need to build a joint history, flesh out the area, come up with things that go wrong (politically, militarily, culturally?), changes in government, how many systems, what sort of equipment can they make for themselves, etc., etc., etc.

3.  Well, it is a SMALL Corps.   ;D  Two Mechanized Infantry Divisions and eight independent Regiments, plus Corps HQ.  SLDF Corps ranged from four to nine Divisions in strength, plus independent Regiments.  The average was six or seven Divisions and enough independent Regiments to equal another division in strength.

Our LXXIII Corps has two Divisions (both Mechanized Infantry) and nine Independent Regiments/Aero Wings (or about three-quarters the combat strength of a standard Division).  Total strength (in 2766) is 16 Regiments of BattleMechs, 6 Regiments of Armor, 12 Regiments of Mechanized Infantry, 6 Regiments of Artillery, and 6 Regiments of Engineers (construction and combat).  Plus three Aero Wings.  Not including purely support and logistical elements.

Total strength of 49 Regiments, 16 of which are BattleMech and 3 of which are Aerospace Fighter.  Before tangling with a pair of the "Hidden Divisions" of the Periphery Uprising in what is likely a surprise attack.

4.  Good questions.  Does the CSC turn isolationist on us?  Xenophobic of other polities?  Do they expand?  Or contract?  How will they view the Inner Sphere with the passage of time?

All good questions.

MA
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:56:10 AM by masterarminas »

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »

Sounds good MA but shall we start at the beginning?

In the first years of James McKenna’s rule over the Terran Hegemony

Using this phrase as a starting point I wanted to present a little time line for the inception of our Anti-Spinward Nation.

2314 – Marks the breakdown of the Alliance as Expansionists and Liberal gangs start a civil war on Earth
2315 – McKenna reacts with the AGM and Colonial Marines halts the violence
2316 – McKenna is elected Director-General in February of the new Hegemony

They left in 2320 (5 years after James McKenna formed the realm) and had around 80 early vessels (Aquila and the like).  Total population was the on the order of 40,000.  Then they lost contact with humanity until the SLDF found them in the early 2700s.  Almost four hundred years to grow and expand.  They might (might) have had some contact with wayward souls, which allowed them to begin production of early BattleMechs and DropShips and modern JumpShips . . . or maybe they developed these concepts independently.  It is whatever YOU FELLOWS want.

I am looking at bringing the CSC into the BattleTech universe starting at around 3025 or so (the year that they return). 

These years could be a good time for our group to get going so to speak. Chaos reigns and McKenna has yet to firmly grasp control of a new Hegemony. This is also a nice window for “a group of discontented individuals” to leave rather than having to be dealt with. Perhaps McKenna even allots them resources for such a trip into the unknown. So now that we have our time who is Alex Cross and his followers. I suspect they be a powerful minority who McKenna could crush but would rather let leave. Here are some possibilities.

PIPs – The SLSB page 13 has the third party of the Terran Alliance being established in 2310, the People’s Independence Party. Claiming to be the Voice of the Forgotten it attracted massive popular and economic support from a once apathetic populace. Grant Zoli, a New Zealander, was the founder of this movement and despite his personal greed generated a genuine political movement. Zoli played both sides (Expansionist and Liberal) eventually ending up dead in September a month before the Alliance Elections of 2314. While a two party struggle ensued until June 2, 2315 according to the text what happened to the PIP? Parliament sent AGM troops to New Zealand where the most trouble initially took place after his death. Nothing else is mentioned of them but could Cross from nearby Australia be Zoli’s second? Might this be the core of Alex Cross’ support?

Nationalists – TRO3075 and later works paint a picture of this time where the nation-states of Earth still exist under the aegis of the Terran Alliance. Rather than being a political party refusing to accept the Hegemony might it be ardent Nationalists perhaps overlooked in BattleTech history? Cross could certainly be the Australian PM as Zoli was the New Zealand PM. It is another hook for our settlers of the Anti-Spinward.

Additional Undesirables – Rather than imprison or execute certain influential people it might be convenient for McKenna to use Cross and his followers as a release valve for other powerful political prisoners taken during his Coup. Expansionists and Liberals who aren’t big fish to be put on trail but can’t or will not return to society as new contributing members of the Hegemony might get sent out with Cross. The Wastes of the Alliance so to speak being Castoff or Foresaken.

Guardians – I doubt McKenna trusts Cross fully and perhaps he sends some of his own people perhaps even soldiers to protect this Exodus Fleet. They aren’t there for Cross’ well being necessarily but to keep an eye on things maybe even reestablish contact with McKenna or let him know where they go or what they do.

How big should our colonist fleet of emigrants be? I wouldn’t go larger then 250 thousand people. From the number of people we could then determine their fleet and travel time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:55:00 PM by Takiro »

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »

We have the fleet and army to protect a "large" empire and population but the way the colonisation begins is more suited to a smaller empire and population.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

Well lets get there first Ice and see what is reasonable. There are nearly 400 years of story to write until you get to the Star League establishing a Protectorate.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »

As a point of reference for population numbers.

From 40,000 people in 2320 you would get the following population ins 3025

At 0.5% growth per year 1.35 Million
At 1.0% growth per year 44.5 Million
At 1.5 % growth per year 1.5 Billion
At 2.0 % growth per year 46.25 Billion
At 2.5% grpwth per year 1 Thousand 450 Billion
At 3% growth per year 44 Thousand 900 Billion

For flexibility and fun, somewhere between 1.5% and 2% would give decent number to play with.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

Well lets concentrate on the arrival of the SLDF as it looks like the first big foreign interaction. After 400 years of settlement our ertswhile anti spinward colonists have how many people? That would determine my recommendation for number of worlds and impact reasoning of the SLDF garrison size.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »

After 400 year (2719), the figures for between 1.5% and2% growth are 15,205,855 and   108,026,057.

The billion + number are not reached until 2832 (2%) and 3001 (1.5%).

The first 25 years of the 31st Century are where number really start to climb as population growth compounds on already large numbers.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

2% annual growth (100 million denizens) seems like the high end of what this civilization could do in 400 years. Say they establish Perth in early 2321. Colonization even in the best of circumstances is gonna have some problems. I mean you have to have some struggles to overcome in their story be it a civil war, natural disaster, plague, in addition to the first bleak days of colonial foundation.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »

What about a population boost from people fleeing the Reunification Wars and (before that) the Age of War?  That might be a good way to get to over a billion by the tme the Star League finds them.

MA
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:47:12 PM by masterarminas »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up