OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lords of the Isles  (Read 9289 times)

masterarminas

• General
Lords of the Isles
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

Lords of the Isles

An Alternate Universe for the BattleTech Setting

By

Stephen T Bynum

Prologue

Hall of the Khans
Katyusha City, Strana Mechty
March 15, 3002

Kerlin Ward frowned as the final vote was tallied and he shook his head.  Damn Nadia!  Damn her to the worst and most painful Hell imaginable!  For three years, he had fought the Ghost Bear née Wolf who had risen to the rank of Khan in her adoptive Clan.  He knew that she disagreed with him, but her passion for the positions held by the Crusaders had only grown in that time.  Still, he had nearly managed to divert her—nearly.

His compromise—the so-called Dragoon Compromise—should have passed; it should have satisfied the moderates who wanted more intelligence.  And it had.  Oh, it had, Kerlin thought.  But then she had started a new debate.

“My Khans,” she had said.  “This expedition is too important to detail to a single Clan, even one as illustrious as the Wolves who hold the Blood-name of Nicholas Kerensky himself.  The Reconnaissance Force must be comprised of volunteers from EVERY Clan, although I will support the proposal that will place Star Colonel Jaime of Wolf in command.”

Damn her!  Jaime believed as Kerlin did, that the purpose of the Clans was to protect the Inner Sphere; to return once they could extend a helping hand in friendship and honor, restoring the Star League in cooperation.  But now?  Now he would be hampered with Warriors from every single Clan—which put Kerlin in a quandary.  How will these Warriors respond if I have to issue an order for Jaime to prepare the Inner Sphere for our coming?  But at the least, they will have no easy way to communicate that fact back to the Homeworlds.

He turned his attention back to the well where the vote had been completed.  Oh, he could declare a Trial of Refusal—but at 32-2, odds of Sixteen-to-One, he could not stop it from happening.  Now he did smile behind his mask.  It would take a year to train the Dragoons, to equip them with ‘Mechs, fighters, tanks, and DropShips from the oldest SDLF caches.  Two years more for them to make their way to the Federated Suns via a circuitous route.  And then, his smile broadened, the Plan called for Jaime to spend five years in service with each of the Great Houses, one after the next.  Collecting intelligence all the while.  It would be 3030 at the earliest before he dispatched his final report—and a decade more before it could be acted upon.

And his opponents knew that as well; it infuriated some of them.

“My Khans,” the soprano voice of Nadia called out from the well, “my Khans.  Trothkin,” she said with a smile, her mask sitting on her desk next to her saKhan.  This is a great moment, but the moment is not finished.  I would call upon Khan Truscott of Clan Star Adder to brief you on a second proposal which I intend to submit for a vote.”

Alan Truscott stood and he made his way to the well.  What the Hell? Kerlin thought.

“Brothers.  Sisters,” Alan Truscott said with a crooked grin on his face—the long scar he bore on his left twisting and bunching as the muscles pulled against the injured tissue gained in combat long ago.  “Gathering information is all well and good, but there is another matter which we must consider—distance.  We lie here in the Homeworlds six months from our closest targets . . . six months with Lithium-Fusion batteries.  A year otherwise.  And once we invade, the distance will only increase to the front-lines.  We must look to the future, my Khans.  We must build a forward operating base from where we can launch and supply this invasion when it comes.”

Murmurs raced across the Hall, as the Khans and saKhans began to whisper, some with caution and others with excitement.  “The Chainelane Isles,” Truscott continued as he activated a holographic projection.  “This will be our base of operations.  We must dispatch a force to seize the Isles, while keeping the Inner Sphere in the dark of our future plans.  Militarily, the Isles pose no threat, but logistically, they will be invaluable to our cause.  We must seize them, we must fortify them, we must build up our infrastructure, and we must make of them our depot worlds.  It will take decades to accomplish this task—but then so will the Reconnaissance Operation in the Inner Sphere.   While these Dragoons compile their reports on the state of the Inner Sphere and their military, we will not be doing nothing—we will be preparing for the days ahead when our progeny fulfill our Legacies by restoring the Star League!”

Kerlin’s jaw fell in shock.  But his voice was drowned out in a chorus of cries and excitement, and he made himself sit back down.  No!  He slammed his fist against the desk.  Give the Clans a base that close and I cannot prevent this Invasion.

And then he noticed the sound of his fist against the polished wood had quieted his fellow Khans.  Sighing he rose.  “The Isles are still a year away, Khan Truscott.  Our communications would still be limited to HPG buoys and if those troops were discovered, we open ourselves to defeat in detail!  AND, we risk showing them the path to the Homeworlds!  No, we cannot risk this.”

And many of the Khans present murmured again, some in agreement, others not so much.  But Alan Truscott’s scar wrinkled again and he nodded.  “Indeed, Khan Ward.  Which is why we are going to undertake a project which the Great Father himself would have stood in awe of.”  The Adder Khan activated the controller once more and a chain of pulsating dots appeared in the hologram.  “The Aaron DeChavillier Corridor, connecting the systems of Dagda in the Pentagon and Ingvolstand in the Isles, with thirty-three way-stations positioned one every 27.46 light-years between the two systems.  This project will require personnel and resources from all of the Clans—as well as the strategic reserve of all four Newgrange-class vessels currently stored under the watchful eye of the Ebon Keshik.”

“Khan Howe?” he turned to the leader of the Snow Ravens.

The old man rose and he nodded—but he did not bother to remove his mask.  “We have been told that these Dragoons must have time to accomplish their mission—time to examine in detail the Inner Sphere and learn their weaknesses.  We are told that it will take three decades, perhaps four, before we can contemplate launching the Invasion.  I tell you, trothkin, that given that amount of time, we have can have the Aaron DeChavillier Corridor and all way-stations complete and operational.  Stationing two flights of JumpShips at each waystation and at both Ingvolstand and Dagda, we can cut transit times from the Homeworlds to the Isles from six months to just under seventeen hours.”

Startled whispers broke out from among the Khans, and Howe nodded.  “And we can accomplish two such journeys a week.  But the undertaking will be immense—the Ravens cannot, and will not, do it alone.”

Truscott and Howe sat back and down and Nadia stood alone in the silent well.  “Do we accomplish nothing over the next three decades, my Khans, other than fighting amongst ourselves—or do we prepare to take our rightful place as the Lords of the Star League Reborn?”

A standing ovation erupted—even from those who hated Nadia—and Kerlin ground his teeth in frustration.  “WAIT!” he bellowed as he rose to his feet.  “We must study these plans and examine them; we cannot be called upon to vote on a matter of this importance without time to examine every single detail!”

Nadia smiled and she nodded.  “Khan Ward is correct.  I would suggest that we adjourn for a week so every Khan might examine the proposal of Khans Truscott and Howe in detail.  Is there a second?”

But before Kerlin could answer, Gordon Myers, the Khan of Clan Goliath Scorpion stood.  “One more issue needs to be considered before we adjourn, Khan Winson.”

“And what might that be, my Scorpion friend?”

“We must elect an ilKhan to head this project—and to exert unilateral control over the Dragoons.”

Absolute silence filled the hall at the sudden pronouncement.  A Diamond Shark rose to his feet and he shook his head.  “There has not been an ilKhan since Tobias Khatib was removed from office and executed for treason!”

“In 2947, Khan Horn.  Fifty-four years, eight months, and seven days have passed without an ilKhan.  And we have stagnated, become complacent, fight among ourselves more than we did under their rule.  But now we ponder the Return that Kerensky the Great Father foretold for us.  That he promised us was our Right.  My Khans, the time has come to have an ilKhan once more—and there is no one present who could serve as well as Nadia Winson.”

And with, the Scorpion sat as silence reigned over the Hall again.  And Khan Truscott rose and he nodded.  “I second the motion, and move that we acknowledge the new ilKhan by acclamation.  All in favor say AYE!”

“AYE!” the Khans shouted before Kerlin could react.

“Those opposed say NAY,” Truscott continued his eyes locked on the Wolf Khan.  But no one spoke, and Kerlin snarled behind his mask and held his tongue.

“Then this Council is adjourned until tomorrow, when the Loremaster of the Clans will administer the Oath to ilKhan Nadia Winson, seventh to bear that title.  Hail the ilKhan!”

“HAIL!” the Khans roared as they rose and gave salute, and if Kerlin could be happy at one small fact it was that Nadia appeared as stunned as he was.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:23:56 PM by masterarminas »

MechRat

• Knightmare's Evil Minion
  • Network Gnome
  • Generalmajor
  • I just keep things moving here...
Re: Lords of the Isles
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »

A great start to another fun read! More thanks to you, MA.

A note for you: check Khan Truscott's name at the start of the story. It appears to change from Nelson to Alan unless both Khans are named Truscott.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »

A great start to another fun read! More thanks to you, MA.

A note for you: check Khan Truscott's name at the start of the story. It appears to change from Nelson to Alan unless both Khans are named Truscott.

Fixed, thank you MechRat!

MA

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »

Very nice start, Nadia showed she has some political chops getting such varied clans as the Star Adders, Snow Ravens and Goliath Scorpions to support her and her becoming the ilKhan is a nice touch. Although I don't think they would do it that quickly, she might not even want the post, each clan should vote individually, etc. but it does make for a nice twist.

Edit: Forgot to mention - Can't wait for more!! I really love reading your AUs they are always top notch.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:12:58 PM by SSJGohan3972 »
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »

Hall of the Khans
Katyusha City, Strana Mechty
March 22, 3002

â€œThis plan is plagued with worrisome aspects, my Khans,” George Galen, the Khan of the Blood Spirits said as he shook his head.  “It is worthy, my ilKhan, that we are speaking of building up a forward base in Chainelane . . . but this proposed DeChavillier Corridor?  The resources involved will beggar us, and it provides a trail of bread crumbs leading straight to the Pentagon!  From there it is but a small step to the Kerensky Cluster itself.  No,” he shook his head again, “the Spirits cannot support such a proposal.  It endangers the Clans by painting a sign that points directly at our heart!”

“Let me see if I understand you, Khan Galen,” Alan Truscott said from his seat, without bothering to rise.  “You fear that the Inner Sphere will learn the location of the Homeworlds, quiaff?  And yet, you also believe that we of the Clans have the strength of arms to conquer that self-same Inner Sphere?  Which is it, Khan Galen?  Are we strong enough to conquer them, but not strong enough to defend ourselves against them?”

The Blood Spirit flushed as Truscott’s sarcasm, and he noted—sourly—that many of the other Khans present were agreeing with the Adder.  But before he could reply, another came to his aid.

“I believe, Khan Truscott,” Dawn Santos of the Burrocks said with a smirking grin, “that what our Spirit brother is attempting to say, although he does make a poor job of doing so, is that a small force from the Inner Sphere might well be able to evade our patrols, bypass our Space Defense Systems, enter orbit over our enclaves unseen, and be able to deliver nuclear weapons onto our defenseless enclaves.  Does that about sum it up, Khan Galen?”

“That was not . . .,” the Spirit began to snarl and then he shook his head.  “Do what you wish; the Spirits want none of this!”

“Khan Galen, if the Grand Council of Khans votes in favor of this proposal, Clan Blood Spirit will do their part; is that understood?” Nadia Winson said with a frown.

For several long moments, the two—ilKhan and Khan—locked their gazes, and several of those present held their breaths as the Khan of the Spirits almost said the unthinkable.  The unforgiveable.  But at last, Galen looked away and he nodded.  “We will do out duty, ilKhan; never forget that.”

“Good.  Is there any more debate before we call the vote?”

Mathis Horn of the Sharks stood.  “If I am understanding this correctly, we will be sending second-line forces to secure the Isles, quiaff?”

“Aff.”

“Why?  Why not use front-line forces instead of entrusting this mission to free-birth?”

“Khan Horn, you are free to use front-line Warriors if you wish—but to maintain secrecy while giving the Reconnaissance Expedition time to accomplish its mission and to construct the Corridor AND to integrate the Isles into our Society, we cannot let anyone suspect that we are more than we seem,” the ilKhan answered.  “Which is why both expeditions will be using SLDF equipment from our caches—not the technology we have since developed over the past century.  If your front-line Warriors are willing to pilot such equipment, BattleMechs and conventional infantry, if I might remind my Khans, by all means they are welcome too.  I know for my own Clan, the chance of glory in securing the Isles against the projected resistance there is so minute that none of the front-line Warriors I have spoken with have asked for a place in the expedition.”

And a general murmur of agreement passed from Khan to Khan from where they were seated at the benches.  Nadia waited for several moments, but no one else rose.  “Very well then, shall we call the vote?”

Kerlin Ward shook his head as he left the Great Hall behind him.  It could still work, his plan.  He would need to speak with the freebirths Jaime and Joshua Wolf, but the plan could still work.  They would have to be more circumspect, and measures would have to be taken to ensure that the first losses were those contributed by other Clans, not Wolf.  But it could be done.  Kerlin nodded to himself as he trudged through the downpour towards his waiting ground car parked across the boulevard.  He smiled despite the cold rain.  Yes, from his base in the Isles, he could send Wolf replacement freeborn—a handful here, a trifle there.  The other Clans would never notice—and Kerlin would make certain that Jaime knew he was to . . . edit his casualty reports to keep future recruits from the Homeworlds low.  Yes, within five years, only the Wolves would be left and then the Dragoon’s could start their real mission.  In a way, this can work, he thought as he stepped out onto the slick black asphalt of the roadway.

“WARD!” a voice shouted, and at the same time a horn blared to Kerlin’s left.  His head twisted around and he saw the prow of a transport truck bearing down towards him—the face of the driver ashen and shocked, and then he heard the squeal as the brakes locked and the vehicle continued to slide—straight towards him.

“Oh, sh-,” he started to say, but he never finished the words as the engine grill slammed into the Khan of the Wolves and everything went dark.

muttley

• Lojtnant
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »

Wonder which Clan owned the truck?
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »

Cyrus Elam Training Grounds
Camlaan Plateau, Roche
June 18, 3003

Jaime Wolf patted the dust off of his uniform outside the entrance to the tent.  To either side of the free-birth Warrior, a massive Elemental stood, clad in flat-black Battle Armor.  Frankly, he had been more than a little surprised when the two had snapped to attention and rendered him a salute . . . he had certainly not expected that.

With much—but not all—of the dust and grime removed, he parted the tent flap and entered.  The large pavilion was filled by around a dozen men and women—but just one had summoned him forth.  Nadia Winson, the ilKhan of the Clans, looked up at his approach and smiled.

“Care for some refreshment, Galaxy Commander?” she asked, and Wolf jerked upright.  The ilKhan’s smile broadened.  “Come now, Jaime, that is what you are, in effect, quiaff?  Your Expedition—your Dragoons—is comparable in size to a Galaxy, so let us at the least acknowledge your status properly.”

“Khan Vickers disagrees, ilKhan.”

“Khan Vickers opinion does not matter here, Galaxy Commander.  Your Dragoons answer to ME, not to the Khan of Clan Wolf.  And if I say you are a Galaxy Commander, then you are one—and you will treated accordingly.”  She raised a carafe of ice and water again.  “Care for a drink?”

“Neg, ilKhan.  If my people cannot get a cold drink on this exercise, than neither shall I.”

Nadia laughed.  “Oh, Jaime, I do like you.  Come here,” she commanded and nodded at her aide.  He nodded back in reply and shooed the many other officers from the ilKhan’s tent, leaving just Jaime and her and one other Warrior dressed in the field uniform of the new Dragoons—although Jaime did not recognize him.

“From the reports I have received, the Khans are ready to throttle you, Galaxy Commander Wolf.  Some are rather perturbed at how you and your Scorpion trainers are tossing aside zellbrigen and in your selection of such antique BattleMechs, Aerospace Fighters, and vehicles for your forces.”  Jaime started to answer but she held up a hand.  “Their opinions do not matter either, Jaime Wolf.  I approve of your methods and your equipment—for the most part.  How is the integration of your Warriors progressing?”

Jaime gathered himself and he took a deep breath.  “ilKhan, things would go a lot faster if you allowed the Wolves—and perhaps a handful of volunteers from the other Clans—to form the bulk of the Dragoons.  I am spending time that should be used to learn this equipment in adjudicating disputes between Warriors of opposing Clans and philosophies.”

“I understand . . . but this is a joint effort of the Clans, Jaime.  All will be represented,” she replied firmly.

Jaime nodded.  He did not agree, but he was not going to press the issue any further.  “We are—barely—on schedule.  Even with having to deal with the many differences between my Warriors, I think we will be ready to start exercises against OpFor units by . . .,” his voice trailed off as he considered, and then he nodded again.  “By early September.”

“Excellent.  And you have received all of the equipment that you requested from the Clan caches?”

“Not all, ilKhan.  The Hellions are dragging their feet in supplying two companies of BattleMechs and their associated Aerospace Fighters, plus I understand that there have been difficulties in restoring the old Overlords, Unions, Leopards, and Lions to full operational status.  The Raven engineers keep wanting to upgrade them instead of just restoring them to working order.”

“I have spoken with Khan Crow and THAT issue has been resolved, Jaime.  Your force structure is quite interesting—it is not precisely SLDF in origin, nor Clan.  Your rationale?”

“We are assembling five Regiments, plus supporting elements.  Each Regiment will contain two pure BattleMech Battalions—with their aerospace complement—and a combined arms battalion with a mixed force of BattleMechs, combat vehicles, and conventional infantry.  In addition, we will assign a Regimental Company that will be built around two lances of BattleMechs and a Nova Lance of armor and infantry to each Regiment.  Supporting units to date consist of a Heavy Assault Battalion with just heavy- and assault-weight BattleMechs and Aerospace Fighters, an Independent Aero Wing, a Special Operations Battalion of Infantry and transport vehicles, a Fires Battalion with artillery assets, and a Recon Group with BattleMechs and vehicles.  I believe with the variety of Warriors of differing Toumans under my command, this arrangement will give me the most flexibility when I arrive in the Inner Sphere.”

“Agreed and approved.  I am adding two additional units to your roster, however,” the ilKhan said.  “Combing through existing garrison formations, I have assembled an infantry Regiment for your command—along with transport vehicles.  You will need these to protect your civilians; of that I have no doubt.”

“My civilians?”

“Jaime, you are going to have Technicians, but beside them your force will need Scientists to evaluate Inner Sphere technology, engineers to construct temporary or permanent structures, Merchants to aid you in negotiating mercenary contracts AND acquire local sources of supply, medical personnel, and Laborers.  These forces I have also assembled.  This . . . Home Guard Regiment . . . will serve to protect them while your line Regiments form the fighting strength of your Galaxy.”

Jaime nodded and he frowned.  He and Joshua had been discussing just how vital such elements would be—only he had expected to have to fight tooth and nail for them.  “We could use some Intelligence assets as well, ilKhan.”

Nadia chuckled.  “Aff.  I have already asked for volunteers from all of the Clan Watches—you will have an Intel Section well before your training is complete.”

“And the other unit you are adding?”

“Your Keshik, Galaxy Commander.”

Jaime’s eyes grew wide and Nadia nodded.  “Cluster commanders do not get Keshiks.  Galaxy Commander seldom do, but for an independent unit on such a vital mission—you rate one.  I am assembling a battalion of BattleMechs, Aerospace Fighters, armor, and infantry that will serve as your Command Keshik, Galaxy Commander Jaime Wolf.”  She paused and smiled again.  “And I asked for—and received from Khan Vickers—only Wolf Warriors for that Keshik.”

The free-birth’s throat was tight and all he could do was nod.  “But there are two points on which I must deny your requests,” the ilKhan continued.

Jaime swallowed.  “And those are?”

“First, I know that you and Joshua are close.  However, he will not be your second-in-command.  Star Colonel John MacKenzie will serve in that role.  John, come shake hands with your new commander.”

“Galaxy Commander, it is an honor to be chosen to serve as your executive officer on this mission.”

“Star Colonel,” Jaime said crisply, shaking the other man’s hand despite the clammy feeling in his stomach. 

“However, I am not denying Joshua a place in the Expedition.  He will command your Beta Regiment, while John here commands Alpha—and you in your Keshik oversee the entire force.  You may select the rest of your senior officers from the volunteers out there in the hot Roche summer sun.  I will approve any promotions—or demotions—that you deem necessary.  Is this acceptable?”

“Aff,” Jaime whispered.

“Good,” Nadia said with a slight smile.  Which promptly faded.  “And your request for WarShip support is denied.”

“May I inquire as to why, ilKhan?”

“Mercenaries during the Star League and the Age of War did not own WarShips.  I cannot believe that any government would allow them in the hands of private military organizations.  Since you are pretending to be a mercenary unit, then it would be out of place to have them—even if the Great Houses retain their own Fleets.  Do not argue with me on this, Jaime—my decision is final.  You will not be taking Clan WarShips into the Inner Sphere.”

Jaime Wolf winced, but he nodded.

“Good.  And now Galaxy Commander, I believe I will give you some time to break the news to Joshua.  However, I will expect both of you—and any other senior officers you have already decided upon—to join me and John for dinner this evening.  In the meantime, I believe that you have a Galaxy to finish assembling and training, Galaxy Commander.  Oh, and one final thing before you and John depart.  Here.  These are yours,” she said as she held out a small jewel box.

Jaime opened it and within lay two gleaming silver Cameron stars, each set on a disk of polished sapphire.  The rank insignia of an SLDF Major General.  “No Colonel commands a force this size—General Wolf.  I will see you this evening for dinner.  Dismissed.”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:37:54 PM by masterarminas »

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »

I love this, Nadia is a crusader obviously but your writing her a lot smarter than I think most would have though and its beautiful. Your inclusion of how she treats Jaime with respect, how she won't let him take warships, how she is adamant to have all clans represented but gives him an all Wolf Keshik, etc. the realistic details enrich the story amazingly. Can't wait for more!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:53:16 PM by SSJGohan3972 »
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

muttley

• Lojtnant
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

Her logic is pretty good.  After all, Kerlin's chosen must be watched carefully.  I still wonder at the size of the unit...  I haven't seen anything except the Pitcairn Legion that approcached the size of his "mercenary" force until the Succession Wars started...
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

fitzgerald

• Kavallerist
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »

The Northwind Highlanders are an example off the top of my head that have been around since before the Succession Wars

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 01:59:50 AM »

Illryian Lancers were Division-sized during the Star League IIRC.

fitzgerald

• Kavallerist
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 02:34:51 AM »

Going off the Highlanders and Illryian Lancers, suddenly having the Dragoon's show up in 3005 Canon with 5 Regiments doesn't seem that out of place.

"What are the typical 'Big' Mercanry forces sized at?"

"Illyrian Lancers and Northwind Highlanders suggest a Division sized force.  Call it 4 to 6 Regiments."

"In that case the Wolf Dragoons shall be a force of 5 regimen qui'aff?"

"Aff"

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 06:47:08 AM »

Aff   The Illician Lancers had 4 regiments in the 3040's so for the Dragoons to appear with 5 regiments
would not be that strange. The only thing that might throw everything off is the condition of their equipment.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

shwagpo

• Kavallerist
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »

Also note, the Lancers and the Highlanders predate the fall of the Star League, and both had seriously been whittled down since.  Of the large commands that still exist, the Light Horse has fallen from a division to three combined arms regiments, the Highlanders went from six plus Black Watch exchanges to four, with two simply stricken from the rolls, and the lancers I believe went from Division to 3 as well iirc.  Blue Star Irregulars went from a multi-regimental command(Division here as well?) with the SLDF to a paltry (2?)Regiments.

IMHO, the Dragoons showing up en masse with competant warriors and any kind of mech forces should seriously throw a kink somewhere and raise some questions.  A force that large suddenly appearing from thin air(all of the above forces had been seen constantly and had very proud/long histories within the Succession Wars...and all have been mauled)should seriously quirk some eyebrows.

What I don't understand, is how noone ever correlated the sudden appearance of 5+ regiments with the exodus.  I mean, some conspiracy theorists somewhere had to draw that connection, especially considering the VERY sudden appearance of the force, and the utter superior skill of it's warriors means they had to come from somewhere, and nowhere was there to be 5 suddenly missing regiments, elsewise there'd have been SOME sort of intelligence.  The other way to look at it, is those weary of C* could believe the Dragoons to be a C* ploy of some kind.  That's pretty much it.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »

Don't forget the Star Guards who had 4 regiments in 3025 and after had more regiments in the past sometimes many more, 7 during the Second Succession War.

Vegan Rangers had 4 regiments right up until the Marik Invasion 3025 to 3057.

McCarron's Armored Cavalry, also mercenaries, have had 5 or more regiments during that time themselves.

So with the Illician Lancers and the Northwind Highlanders the InnerSphere only has 5 or so super sized merc units in the early 31st century.

Once you hit the 3 regiment threshold you get many more commands like Bronson's Horde who frequent the Periphery or show up from the Periphery wanting to work all of a sudden.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up