OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Dragoons Compromise  (Read 19202 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: No Dragoons Compromise
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »

So you want 13 (I have 11 proposed with two reserve Clans likely serving on the flanks as the invasion moves ahead) pathways to Terra? How wide will these Trail Ways need to be in light years?? Somebody breakout some maps!

Vition2

• Korporal
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »

It really depends on the amount of the realms the clans are going to attack.  If they want to fully encapsulate the two realms you are looking at roughly 50% of the "territory" of the Inner Sphere.  More reasonable is probably 33-40%.  In Comparison the original invasion comprised about 8% of the arc of the entire Inner Sphere.

At 50% the arc ends up being close to 1600 light years... around?

13 clans - 123 ly
12 clans - 133 ly
11 clans - 145 ly
10 clans - 160 ly
9 clans - 178 ly

40% is about 1280 light years.

13 clans -  98 ly
12 clans - 107 ly
11 clans - 116 ly
10 clans - 128 ly
 9 clans - 142 ly

33% is about 1050 light years.

13 clans -  81 ly
12 clans - 88 ly
11 clans - 95 ly
10 clans - 105 ly
 9 clans - 117 ly

Edit: Read the number on my calculator wrong, original invasion arc length decreased from 20% to 8%.  Oops.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:29:45 PM by Vition2 »

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »

Geuss it depends on the width of the front drak wants but reading into his desires (path to Terra as well as subjugation of the Lyran and Draconis states) it has to include a wide swath of both nations. My two reserve Clans would likely serve on the expanding flanks as the invasion drives deeper into the innersphere. Perhaps there are three different objectives though. One central drive to Terra and two House wings?

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 02:55:05 AM »

draw a line across the inner sphere about 1 jump corewards of Terra. Everything above that line is occupied by the Clans. That's how much I see the Clans occupying

Vition2

• Korporal
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 03:55:59 PM »

Mostly just to add to my previous comment, but the original invading clans used invasion corridors roughly 2% the circumference of the Inner Sphere.  If you were to use the 33% attack estimate, using all invading clans, you'd be looking at 2.5% each, 40% a bit more than 3% each, and 49% (roughly where a straight line along the border from a jump out of Terra equates) ~3.75% each.  The second and third options are a significant increase in the width of the attack corridors - and the original invading clans tightened up really really quick (if you were to aim at a point where the outer lines merge you'd be looking at either Gram or Shimosuwa, or thereabouts - this is ~2/3rds the way to Terra).

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »

I'm considering a much wider invasion zone than canon, one that more or less obliterates the DC and LC before running out of gas, so invasion corridors spanning a total of 120 light years wouldn't really be enough.

What is obliterate?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »

To destroy or annihilate completely

Vition2

• Korporal
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »

draw a line across the inner sphere about 1 jump corewards of Terra. Everything above that line is occupied by the Clans. That's how much I see the Clans occupying
And this.

Adding a bit more, a 40% circumference swath of attack is roughly from New India in the Lyran Alliance around to Kazanka in the Draconis Combine - and New Samarkand is inside those borders - the other ~9% could be follow-up territorial gains after they are stopped in their drive towards Terra.

A 33% circumference goes roughly from Wiltshire in the Lyrana Alliance to Land's End in the Draconis Combine - there'd be quite a bit of extra to conquer from the originating corridors for this one, including a few very hardened targets.

The 49% option starts at Diedre's Den in the Circinus Federation and ends roughly at Dante in the Outworlds Alliance.  This leaves nothing extra to conquer.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »

I meant how do you that not what it means.
History has shown us that doing that to a modern state with enough space is difficult. If you add space to the equation...
Do you mean occupying all their worlds? Or a significant share of them?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »

Well i'd call it Regimented Targeting. The Clans would like seek out innersphere forces or strongpoints for glory. I think it would be the opposite of planet hopping with stragetic areas targeted leaving some strong points out. Naval speaking the Clans can establish space supermacy eliminating intra and interstellar transport. Seizing HPGs could further isolate natives. You wouldn't need to rely on force per say you can use space against ur enemy. And with innersphere tech in 3000 this smash ur champions and roll on approach could work.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 04:32:11 AM »

I meant how do you that not what it means.
History has shown us that doing that to a modern state with enough space is difficult. If you add space to the equation...
Do you mean occupying all their worlds? Or a significant share of them?
The Clans are the only organised military presence and the existing government (at planetary and above levels) has been suppressed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up