OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reunification War: Mercenaries  (Read 3549 times)

fitzgerald

• Kavallerist
Reunification War: Mercenaries
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:39:27 AM »

Given that Merc forces existed prior to the Star League a thought just came to me.

Faced with an oncoming Star League the TC manages to hire several big name Mercenary forces while it gets ready to build up.

Add the

Illyrain Lancers (6 Regiments)
Northwind Highlanders (6 Regiments) ~ The Liao's are playing the 'smash the Davion's card'

not to mention the fact that no Mercenary force actually wants to be on the defensive (no loot) how would this change Re-unification War?

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Reunification War: Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:18:45 AM »

I am not sure the SLDF would allow the newly formed Illician Lancers to venture to the Taurian Concordat.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »

Yeah I agree with Ice Hellion  :o  They worked for all of the Member States and the SLDF itself. They might have already been working a contract before the Reunification Wars had begun and I do not see them breaking a lawful contract.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

fitzgerald

• Kavallerist
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »

Eh sorry let me re-phase the point.

Pre Re-unification war the TC legitimately acquires the contracts for the Illyran Lancers & the Highlanders

shwagpo

• Kavallerist
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »

Though this would help extensively, I do not believe the Highlanders would be there en masse.  THey share a comeraderie with the Royal Black Watch and constantly exchange warriors.  At least 2-3 of their regiments would be employed on the SLDF side of things, might get hairy.  Remember, during this period, the Highlanders are Hegemony based, not Capellan Confederation based, as Liao didn't get Northwind until after the fall of the Star League.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »

Illyran Lancers

Illician Lancers. Highly doubtful as the Illician Hall and Headquarters was located on Terra until the Amaris Coup. Not only do they have powerful ties to the Hegemony and the Star League but even if we handwavium to create the situation (not all were fans of Ian's vision to reunite humanity so I could see it, very very unlikely) in which they accept a contract would the Taurians ever trust them? The Taurians have to suspect a major Trojan horse and have very little reason to trust them or any outsider whatsoever.

Northwind Highlanders are more likely in my opinion even though they themselves have close ties to the Hegemony (Northwind as well as the Black Watch) and the Star League. The Capellans could play a Pitciarn Legion type game with the League.

XaosGorilla

• Menig
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »

Don't most mercs prefer to be on the winning side? Given the rather large numerical, and technological advantages of the star league, would any merc even take such a contract?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »

Thats a good point but mercs obey the golden rule above all. He who has the gold makes the rule.
Pages: [1]   Go Up