OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What If: FedCom wins the War of 3039  (Read 15782 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: What If: FedCom wins the War of 3039
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

Yeah that is what I was thinking. On the way back? I think I should describe this as more of Huntress like scenario. U are going there to stay or die.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »

Two of these regiments were mercenaries - Kell Hounds.
At this time the Kell Hounds had only one regiment - the second was added after Katrina's death.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »

Quite correct, thanks drak. Have to make them up somehow.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 02:21:55 AM »

Use the 3rd/12th Star Guards as already mentioned.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »

You meant a suicide mission?
I prefer Blacknova's heavy raid as it makes more sense but it could still be a suicide as I doubt any of these units would make it to the borders (revenge, revenge, revenge).

The question is how much damage to Luthien, the other planets and the Kuritan units is considered enough to call this a victory.

We can have a scenario like this:
DC units are spread too thin.
AFFS Task Force strike Luthien and stay there for xxx
AFFS Task Force split and leave with angry Kuritans ready to kill them.
As more and more Kuritan units are allowed to hunt and destroy the Task Force, the front line units from the AFFS make one more push that combined with the Coordinator death, the damage on Luthien and other key words puts the Draconis Combine out of the war.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

Control is going to be an issue Ice. Using the Jihad as an example, once central control on Luthien is broken, command authority can be a major problem. If there's a strong enough (and loyal enough) Warlord present he may be able to organize and more importantly, rein in the DCMS.

However, the loss of Luthien, even briefly will be a super hard pill to swallow. I can guarantee more than one DCMS unit will go "rogue" and strike out immediately for the Federated Commonwealth. Also keep in mind the Duke Ricol (if I remember correctly) is still present in the DCMS High Command. Meaning, there's enough conflict among the Warlords of 3039 that the loss of the Coordinator and his son might realistically break apart the Draconis Combine. A power vacuum like that is hard to ignore.

Worse case you have DCMS units going bezerk when they shouldn't and more than one Warlord operating independently. This could result in unnecessary losses to an already hurt DCMS, multiple and conflicting peace treaties, fracturing of the DC entirely, etc. If things got bad enough, expect the FRR to usurp a few worlds while the roof caves in.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »

Operation Yellow Bird as I'm calling it is quite simply designed as a "kill shot" to the Draconis Combine. Katrina Steiner is leading this suicidal / death or glory attack similar in nature to what happened on Huntress to the Smoke Jaguars. Phase one would be to penetrate the formidable defenses of the Dragon to eliminate the Coordinator. Jump in and drop right on the Imperial City with the goal of killing Takashi along with as much of the hierarchy of the Kuritas as possible. Phase two would see the assault forces remain on planet drawing as many DCMS units to them as possible and out of position. Phase three (best case scenario) would see a substantial relief force trap a significant number of Draconis warriors on planet for their eventual elimination. It would be a bloodbath yes but the goal is the complete destruction of the FedCom's greatest adversary.

How will ComStar intervene? They would most certainly try to tip of the Dragon as to the details of the Operation but more importantly would the ComGuards on world be ordered to fight the FC Taskforce?

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »

They could claim a Sarna type inceident and weigh in.  However, there is no Division stationed on Luthien, due to past dissagreements, so the ComStar force on world would be limited.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

They could claim a Sarna type inceident and weigh in.  However, there is no Division stationed on Luthien, due to past dissagreements, so the ComStar force on world would be limited.

On a larger scale I would imagine ComStar would use the same incident to interdict the entire Federated Commonwealth, refusing to lift the interdiction (even with Black Box technology) the FedCom tries to force their way into an HPG station somewhere (or ComStar again stages it) and presto! FedCom v. ComStar in a full-scale war.
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »

On a larger scale I would imagine ComStar would use the same incident to interdict the entire Federated Commonwealth, refusing to lift the interdiction (even with Black Box technology) the FedCom tries to force their way into an HPG station somewhere (or ComStar again stages it) and presto! FedCom v. ComStar in a full-scale war.

That would go exceedingly poor for ComStar, as Operation Scorpion showcased. A spread-out ComGuard is a weak ComGuard. ComStar's best chance to inflict the most damage at that point would be to unleash ROM, not the ComGuard.
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 10:20:50 PM »

Just because Waterly messed it up with Scorpion doesn't mean it can't work. First you torch every HPG station throughout the FedCom then you withdraw to around Terra and start resetting up the Terran Hegemony. FWL and DC as allies (and maybe the CapCon but they're really a sidethought in 3039). This does two things, 1 you're taking mostly FedCom worlds (really mostly former CC worlds, maybe skirt DC and FWL worlds to keep them as allies) and splitting the FedCom in half. A permanent interdiction would really hurt the FedCom regardless of the blackbox technology (torching the HPGs would help this along).

Now on the other hand I think it would turn out much like the Jihad were eventually the ComStar Protectorate (read Blake Protectorate) would collapse under a united Inner Sphere but I really see it as the next step after the succession wars that the Clan Invasion just set back 20 years or so.
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 12:13:07 AM »

How long do you think it would take ComStar to get the Guard together and do you think Davion wouldn't notice? One of the reasons Scorpion failed is because Hanse caught wind of what ComStar was up to and because the Guards didn't have a massed presence in the Occupation Zone. Come 3039 the Guard is still dispersed thought the Inner Sphere. Consolidating them won't go unnoticed, and will likely tip ComStar's hand in any event. The best and mostly likely recourse, or action undertaken by the Order would be to unleash ROM to hamper the FedCom's war effort.

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 12:19:49 AM »

How long do you think it would take ComStar to get the Guard together and do you think Davion wouldn't notice? One of the reasons Scorpion failed is because Hanse caught wind of what ComStar was up to and because the Guards didn't have a massed presence in the Occupation Zone. Come 3039 the Guard is still dispersed thought the Inner Sphere. Consolidating them won't go unnoticed, and will likely tip ComStar's hand in any event. The best and mostly likely recourse, or action undertaken by the Order would be to unleash ROM to hamper the FedCom's war effort.

I'll grant that and like I say I think the whole thing would eventually go very badly for ComStar. Unleashing the more clandestine portions of their repertoire (ROM) would be the first thing they do but I really see them eventually engaging in a full scale military conflict. I'd imaging they would leave the majority of the ComGuards in place where they are to torch HPG stations throughout the FedCom while utilitzing the core of their armies to take former Terran Hegemony worlds (kinda like how the bulk of the ComGuards fought on Tukkayid but the rest were still in place throughout the Inner Sphere for scorpion. This would be a year or two after the attack on Luthien and unleashing of ROM when the Combine really starts to fall apart and the FedCom is way overstreached trying to garrison an additional 100+ worlds.

Keeping it more lowkey and just ROM vs. MIIO would be much better for ComStar in the long run but an all-out conflict would be fun I think :)

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »

I think the real question that needs to be asked is why?

Why would ComStar opt for open conflict?

Until the Clans bluntly and directly claim Terra as their intended target ComStar hasn't been placed in a position where massed open conflict was necessary. I still don't see an assault on Luthien prompting such a response simply because better, more covert and more often used tools in ComStar's arsenal haven't been utilized first.

You gotta think like 3039 ComStar.

For one, they've never fought a pitched battle, or consolidated. The Guard has never really operated in large formations. ComStar has no real working industrial complex. (This is before the massive losses on Tukayyid, so most of Terra's factories are mothballed at this point.) Primary income for ComStar comes from their HPGs. Burning them would be akin to cutting their own throat. Abandoning the HPGs, or disabling the software should suffice. For one, operating the HPGs should be beyond the capability of everyone except Wolf's Dragoons, so its the technicians, and to a lesser extent, software that needs to be nullified...not the hardware. (For example, say ComStar did "win," they might have to replace all of those HPG sites. That's a ton of cash and resources. Outlay they'd have to provide after fighting a major war.)

But really, you have to return to the why? Why would ComStar go toe-to-toe with the Federated Commonwealth?

From a risk standpoint, open warfare prior to exhausting ComStar's other tools is paramount to suicide. Especially when you consider what an Interdiction, combined with a covert ROM war might accomplish instead. And these are operations directly against the Suns, and operations ComStar is intimately familiar with conducting. But honestly, when has ComStar ever relied solely on direct operations?...Before Scorpion, ComStar was all about pawns. Specifically, the other Successor States.

What if ComStar provided information, assets and other resources to the FWL & CC, or even the TC? Would they be able to entice them out of entropy? Perhaps, perhaps not, but its something ComStar would likely attempt prior to building a buffer state around Terra from the get go. Maybe ComStar will stage another performance act or two on a couple of FWL/CC worlds pointing fingers at the FedCom. It worked on Sarna in the Fourth after all.

The point is, ComStar's smart enough to exhaust what it's comfortable doing before opting to do something it's not when a final outcome, or direct threat is in doubt.

Now, if Hanse Davion declared his intention to reform the Star League after sacking Luthien by claiming Terra...while premature and possibly crazy, may earn him a response ComStar's not entirely comfortable doing, but shocked enough to use.   

Say, like some sort of armed, or more overt resistance.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:29:05 PM by Knightmare »

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »

You gotta think like 3039 ComStar.

I read this line an basically didn't need to read the rest of your post (I did but this really summed it up)

You're right, I'm thinking like a post-Clan Invasion ComStar (really WoB)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up