Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Japan  (Read 25286 times)

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
Japan
« on: March 11, 2011, 04:13:44 AM »

Hi all, don't know if any of you have seen the news this morning but a massive earthquake and tsunami hit japan this morning, thoughts etc are with those effected today.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
Re: Japan
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:00:47 AM »

We were having a six club pre-season bender and it shut the whole place up.  It is a little like something out of a hollywood film.  Be a few hours until the real state of affairs starts to become clear.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:03:49 AM »

Looks pretty bad. Five foot wave near Midway, but watch Hawaii for what could be the real deal. There was a report from the US Carrier in Japan that the quake actually moved the ship away from the pier - which needless to say takes quite a bit of energy to do. According to CNN (@0745EST) there have been about 50 reported dead. 

The residual effects of this quake will be the worst. Already Global Markets are taking a hit. In the US, this comes after a week of dreadful trading.

My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Pacific & Pacific Rim right now, and with everyone likely to be affected by the quake in coming days. 

Like the old adage...when it rains, it pours.

Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »

It looks pretty bad from what I've seen. Any report on the size of the quake?

Hessian

• SD Developer
  • Kapten
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »

According to the news-reports I have just seen(just came home from work) it was an 8.9-magnitude earthquake, which was said to have caused serious damage in areas several hundred miles across from the earthquake alone, without taking into account the damage the Tsunami causes.

Even a nuclear power plant is said to have been damaged.

My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Pacific & Pacific Rim right now, and with everyone likely to be affected by the quake in coming days. 

My thoughts exactly.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

Just checked the latest news and it sounds like there is a danger of a nuclear meltdown at one of the reactor sites that they have not been able to cool down due to a fire in the cooling equipment.

Also a dam has now colapsed washing away a number of homes and sendai police are reporting finding 300+ bodies.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »

Oh wow. The death toll has certainly climbed. Not to sound callous, but this is beginning to sound like harbinger of the Sixth World. Keep your eyes peeled for Dragons on your daily commuter train route.

I sure hope that get that nuclear power plant under control. Japan is too small to suffer another Chernobyl. 
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »

Any loss of life is tragic
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »

Oh wow. The death toll has certainly climbed. Not to sound callous, but this is beginning to sound like harbinger of the Sixth World. Keep your eyes peeled for Dragons on your daily commuter train route.

I sure hope that get that nuclear power plant under control. Japan is too small to suffer another Chernobyl.

Just seen a tweat from one of the bbc's reporters that they are considering releasing radioactive steam to reduce the pressure in the reactor.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »

Just seen a tweat from one of the bbc's reporters that they are considering releasing radioactive steam to reduce the pressure in the reactor.

Just read a similar heading.

You can file that idea under Worst Ideas Ever

Then again, a nuclear meltdown isn't so hot (excuse the pun) either...

You'd figure a country as sophisticated, that sits right on the ring of fire, is volcanically active and as down right anal when it comes to personal accountability as Japan would have built a reactor complex capable of withstanding incredibly powerful earthquakes and other seismic catastrophes?

I know 8.9 isn't something to scoff at, but I have to wonder...

Rayo Azul

• Overste Lojtnant
    • Sudden Dearth
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 04:25:19 PM »

You'd figure a country as sophisticated, that sits right on the ring of fire, is volcanically active and as down right anal when it comes to personal accountability as Japan would have built a reactor complex capable of withstanding incredibly powerful earthquakes and other seismic catastrophes?

Mathematics are great at predicting what will happen to engineered structures, but after all they are just our way of quantifying nature...who tends not to listen to us.

WTF is happening? Not long ago we had NZ too, now Japan...something seems pretty unstable!

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »

Mother Earth is reminding us how insignificant we really are. We should start respecting her properly.

Or like I said earlier, there soon be Dragons. Gosh I hope I become an Elf. At least then I'll still be able to fit into my clothes.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »

Well to be fair the reactor came through the quake fine, its the backup deisel generators that caught fire.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »

And the Japanise PM has just ordered the evacuation of everyone within 10km's of the plant also says 'there may already have been a release of radioactive steam'

Oh joy, bring on the dragons, Orkdum here i come.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »

The US is flying reactor coolant to Japan now. I just wonder if it's too late. Where's the Concord when you need it? Or a Cargo version of the SR-71?...

Diesel Generators at a Nuclear Powerplant...huh. I could say something off color about that, but I'll just let it sit for now. Too soon. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up