OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Obamacare (A.K.A. Affordable Care Act)  (Read 42247 times)

TigerShark

• Sergeant
    • MekWars: The Wars of Reaving
Re: Obamacare (A.K.A. Affordable Care Act)
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »

And no offense, but if a group of people is espousing religious ideologies they are representatives of that religious ideology for better or for worse. At the end of the day, the black sheep of any family is still a member of the family. Accept, embrace and move on.

So what you're saying is, whatever you choose to call yourself, you now represent the group as a whole? i.e.: Adolph Hitler and Jim Jones represent Christianity and Josef Stalin/Mao Zedong/Kim Il Sung represent atheism?

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »

I specifically used the word 'group,' i.e. A collection of like minded individuals. The Germans who joined Hitler's political Nazi party were fascists, the Chinese who ran with Mao considered themselves Communists. When a 'group' of politically like-minded individuals state a desire to bring 'Christian values' to their proposed legislation then for better or worse they've taken the role-as a group-as ambassadors of Christianity.

If the premise of their message is Christian-even a Christian message you don't necessarily believe or agree with-doesn't make it any less Christian. That's why we have innumerable Protestant faiths.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

TigerShark

• Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

I specifically used the word 'group,' i.e. A collection of like minded individuals. The Germans who joined Hitler's political Nazi party were fascists, the Chinese who ran with Mao considered themselves Communists. When a 'group' of politically like-minded individuals state a desire to bring 'Christian values' to their proposed legislation then for better or worse they've taken the role-as a group-as ambassadors of Christianity.

If the premise of their message is Christian-even a Christian message you don't necessarily believe or agree with-doesn't make it any less Christian. That's why we have innumerable Protestant faiths.

Well that last part is an entirely different subject. :)

Either way, they reject the canonical Jesus in favor of a warped version of the historical teachings. The literary figure of Jesus rejected wealth and encouraged his followers to reject it as well. Modern Republicans encourage their followers to hoard and invest, worrying about profit margins more than people. In-and-of-itself, that should tell people they have no business calling themselves a Christian organization. Anymore than a Jewish pork cook-off would be "Jewish." It's blatantly antithetical.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »

Separation should be just that. No special privilage, no special rights, no official mention, for any religious group.

As to TS's second to last comment, an invocation of Godwin's Law would say that this conversation is done.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

TigerShark

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »

Separation should be just that. No special privilage, no special rights, no official mention, for any religious group.

As to TS's second to last comment, an invocation of Godwin's Law would say that this conversation is done.

Favoritism is inevitable. Secular law in itself is a philosophy or, potentially, a theology. For example, by making abortion illegal, you inevitably side with those who hold it important in a religious context. By making it legal, you create a philosophy in which it is permissive.

You cannot avoid the interaction and inclusion of religious values within a state's framework.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »

Explain how it does work.

In corporations, people who work all the time and do good job don't get rewarded because their bosses expect that from them, because the corporation as a whole can't increase the wage line in their accounts.
There are always exception to that but in the modern world, it works like that in most corporations.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »

Calling atheism or secularism a theology is just plain wrong.  Don't go there, don't try that one, it is a totally false argument.

For example, by making abortion illegal, you inevitably side with those who hold it important in a religious context.

So, it does not mean you have to have a theological basis for that view, or that by having that view you must therefore be religious or inspired by religious thinking.  Morals and ethics exist outside of theological context, despite what those of a religious persuasion might like to think.

You can avoid favoritism, just treat all groups equally and if you have to set it down in legislation.  That way, there are either no special breaks for anyone, or if there are, all groups have a equal chance of accessing them.  That is equality at its simplest.

@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe

@BlackNova01

TigerShark

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »

Calling atheism or secularism a theology is just plain wrong.  Don't go there, don't try that one, it is a totally false argument.

a :  a theological theory or system <Thomist theology> <a theology of atonement>
b :  a distinctive body of theological opinion <Catholic theology>

If an Atheist has a belief that no deities exist, that is a theological opinion. Argue it with the dictionary, not me.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »

Sorry again, but an atheist doe not believe, full stop.  They don't "believe on not believing" they just don't believe. An important point to consider.

@BlackNova01

TigerShark

• Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »

Sorry again, but an atheist doe not believe, full stop.  They don't "believe on not believing" they just don't believe. An important point to consider.

The important point to consider is that atheists must answer the question, "do you believe in a god or gods?" At that point, their rejection of all theology becomes a theology in itself. Traditional theology may be replaced by science, but science itself is a belief system as no theory for the origin of the universe has been proven beyond mathematics.

In other words, they believe in non-belief.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »

You cannot avoid the interaction and inclusion of religious values within a state's framework.

Not true. Removing the part of a state's framework that deals with the regulation of its citizenry actions also removes (most) moral and religious quandaries from the governing equation.

The old adage of keeping govt. 'out of the home' is an apt example of a potential working fix.

WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »

In other words, they believe in non-belief.

This has been studied and discussed in-length by many communication and philosophy academics. In com studies, atheist text is readily identified in a similar sphere as other theology or philosophical texts. The Atheist Debater's Handbook reads just like the jurisprudence texts from many a theological scholar, and given the basic premise, isn't surprising. Rhetorically, the belief of non-belief is pretty apt, but philosophically Blacknova is correct. It is not a belief in non-belief, which denotes organization or systematic processes of belief—which atheists do not create.

They create structures for discussion, but not belief. Incidentally, this created one of the main drivers for the writing of the ADH as a way to talk to a (predominately) christian audience.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »

Tigershark, just because I say I don't believe, does not mean I have a theology.  It really is sad that those of a religious bent must believe that others must believe in order to feel comfortable with the universe.  I don't believe in ghosts, or fairys, or of the dark shadows of the bush, I don't believe people ascend, descend or reincarnate, I don't believe in allah,yaweh, god, jesus, buddah, thor, apollo or any of the other host of deities that folk have managed to conjure up over the years.   

I JUST DON'T BELIEVE.  I would deeply appreciate it if you would quit saying otherwise, for I know myself.

My world is founded on rational evidence, on the care of my fellow humans, whatever they believe or don't, on the basis that we must all be treated the same and that no group's social or religious doctrine is better than any others and that a truly secular and atheist viewpoint is the safest course to stability and fair treatment for all.  I base my actions to others on being kind to all, unless you harm me and then all bets are off, not on a preconceived theology that dictate that if someone is not like me or does not do as I do they must be excluded.

We just are.  If that scares others so much that they need a myth with continuity issues that make BT look organized to help them get by day to day, then so be it, I truly feel sorry for them.

Oh and one more thing, science is not a belief system, science is evidence based, religion is faith based as it has no evidence to support it.  If you look up the scientific method you can gain a better understanding of the difference between the two.  Science needs evidence, evidence that can be repeatedly tested in order to be proven true.  Faith just needs you to believe in the tooth fairy.

@BlackNova01

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »

Umm, isn't this thread about Obamacare. Can we drift back to that.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up