OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Volunteer designers  (Read 30276 times)

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
Re: Volunteer designers
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 07:16:50 PM »

NO!   :o  They'd be unstoppable!  These things attack in Points of 5 - even the 10-tonner has a pair of ER-MLs!  Its like fighting a Nova-Omniech.  Rocs are bad enough.

The 12-ton Striker is 7/11, 41 AP in 6 locations, and 4 RL-10s, 2 ER-ML, and 2 ER-SmL (Clan).  At least there's no 'close miss' nonsense, thank god, unless somebody manages the near-impossible and convinces me.  I'm fine with 'interesting-but-no-big-deal'.  Its 'psycotic-nasty-superweapons' that I desperately want to avoid.

The 17-tonner imitates that Clan Wolf mech, the Phantom, with its 7/11, 65 AP, a Light-Active Probe, and 10 ER-SmL - with a targeting computer.  The 19-tonner crams a IS large laser and targeting computer onto the same frame, with SRM-2 for firing Inferno rounds.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:50:45 PM by Red Pins »

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »

...Actually, I think it might work better.  Hmm.  Nothing for it - playtest time.  Again.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »

Too bad as I had ideas for a Super Elemental to support infantry and having Omni Tech would have saved me.
Now I need to find two more ideas to make my first ELM Star.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »

Oh - Sorry.  These are my 'fanon' ones;

10 - generic anti-vehicle, anti-infantry
11 - fire support (Lrm 5)
12 - standard attacker (see above)
13 - salvage
14 - fast recon
15 - C3 slave unit/artillery spotter
16 - ELM/Permanent AirMech (LAM by any other name) infiltrator and intelligence unit.  It has a light tag, just for laughs.
17 - short-range attacker (10 ER small lasers and tgt computer
18 - drone controller/minelayer (one channel)
19 - fire support (one IS large laser, SRM-2, and tgt comp.

I suppose a couple more might be ammo carrier, ECM/AMS carrier, boobytrap :o, and something like the Cattlemaster (a ranch unit).  Too bad they can't pull trailers, that would be real useful.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »

I will see what I can think off.

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »

Ok - can I get opinions from the peanut gallery?  What's good, what's bad?  Possible fixes?

I'm insisting on time to type, and I should be done typing and editing the Tundra Leopard touman by Sunday, so Monday 'Unique Technology' gets 2 weeks to deadline.

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »

OOOOH!

Did people know that they made laser-guided artillery shells in the freakin' 70's!

This goes very nicely in my AU - I may actually add it to the unique tech portion.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:38 PM »

I will get through the new rules to see if they answer all my questions  :-\

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »

...I'll make sure the last few ELM and Hardpoint rules come to you, tonight or tomorrow at the latest.  I'm just finishing with the Cluster descriptions and Bloodnames for the warriors mentioned in them, I'm hoping to keep on track and finish the Tundra Leopards by Saturday night.

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 12:40:56 AM »

Ok - I'm about to start on the unique tech segment to finalize things - any comments from the peanut gallery?  Interested passerby?

Halvagor

• Fanjunkare
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »

OOOOH!

Did people know that they made laser-guided artillery shells in the freakin' 70's!

This goes very nicely in my AU - I may actually add it to the unique tech portion.
And they had TV-guided bombs in the '60s.  And radar-homing missiles with a range of 50+ nautical miles and a speed in excess of Mach 3 in the '50s. 

BattleTech doesn't bother itself with such things, generally.  Or with rifles that can shoot more than 100m. 
"...but if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers."  From Kim, by Rudyard Kipling, 1901

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »

Ok - I'm about to start on the unique tech segment to finalize things - any comments from the peanut gallery?  Interested passerby?

You already read my comments, didn't you?

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »

Yup.

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »

...Wow, that was a hell of a slog, but after three complete rewrites the section on hardpoints is done.  They finally balance, but you wouldn't want to meet a 200 ton with a pair of these.

Hardpoints
   Participating in development teams to develop innovative new Battletechnology, Laborers from Clan Frost Ape were inspired by the use of netting to allow BattleMechs to carry cargo.  Investigation into modular, hand-held weapons proved impractical, but further investigation eventually concluded external clamps to take advantage of their lifting capacity were technically feasible.
   Field tests eventually concluded heatsinks and coolant pods, canisters of highly pressurized coolant, to be the most efficient use of the new hardpoint concept, allowing higher rates of fire and movement with minimal expense and risk.

Construction Rules
   Composed of a mechanical clamp system and interchangeable ‘Pods’, hardpoints allow a Mech to use the lifting capacity of its arms to carry additional weapons and equipment into battle.  Hardpoints have several rules regarding their use and construction of the individual Pods.
·   Hardpoints require a single critical slot in each Arm (or Leg) for the necessary Internal Structure and hookups, which requires .5 tons.
·   Because of the difficulty creating Pods, designers are not required to use the entire mass allowed them.
·   Some or all of the weapons and equipment in a H-ACs hardpoints may be mounted in a turret.  Such a Pod must follow the rules for turrets, as well pay the IS cost of the Pod.
·   Because they are unenclosed, hardpoints supply a number of critical slots based on the formula (Payload/.5)+1.  Pods are similar to vehicles in their use of a single item per critical slot, allowing larger pieces of equipment to be carried.
·   Individually designed and mounted, Pods have a single point of Internal Structure regardless of size and require .25 tons of mass for every ton of weapons and equipment allowed on the Pod, according to the chart below;

Tonnage            20      25      30      35    40     45     50    55     60     65     70     75     80     85     90    95    100   150    200
Lift Capacity     1.00   1.25   1.50   1.75  2.00  2.25  2.50  2.75  3.00  3.25  3.50  3.75  4.00  4.25  4.50  4.75  5.00   7.50   10.0
Max IS Tonnage0.25   0.25   0.25  0.25  0.50   0.50 0.50  0.50   0.75  0.75  0.75  0.75  1.00  1.00  1.00  1.00  1.25  1.75    2.50
Max Payload     0.75   1.00   1.25  1.25  1.50  1.75  2.00  2.25   2.25  2.50  2.75  3.00  3.00  3.25  3.50  3.75  3.75  5.75   7.50

·   Weapons mounted on the hardpoint connect to the ‘Mech’s electronics and cooling systems.  Ammunition-fed weapons must carry their ammunition in the Pod, but Pods may supply ammunition to a single arm-mounted weapon as well.
·   Pod-mounted equipment operates normally, but not all equipment may be used Check the Allowable Equipment Chart for more information.
·   Armor is allocated normally and is limited to the type found on the Arm.  Ferro-Fibrous and other specialty armors require a single critical space on the Pod, while standard armor does not.

Game Rules
   Hardpoints offer standard BattleMechs some of the versatility of Omnis, but offer unique problems and benefits in game play.
·   Designers may add single hardpoints to a unit, or use Pods of a different weight, but if the difference in mass between hardpoints is equal to or greater than 1 ton, a ‘Mech becomes unbalanced and suffers a +1 to all Piloting Skill Rolls.
·   Damage to a Pod from weapons, physical attacks, and falls is a potential result of an Arm or Leg hit on the limb carrying the hardpoint.  To determine if the Pod is hit, roll a d6 every time the limb is hit, on a result of ‘6’ the Pod is hit and takes damage normally.
·   The loss of a Pod or hardpoint can be accomplished in several ways; destruction of the Arm critical which clamps the Pod to the limb, destruction of the Pod’s Internal Structure, and jettisoning the Pod.  To Jettison, the player must announce its loss at the end of the Heat Phase before beginning a new Turn.
·   Ammunition stored in Pods will explode if the Pod is destroyed for any reason.  Damage caused by ammo explosions are reduced by half, and applied against the armor of the limb carrying it.
·   Ammunition in Pods does not roll to explode if a ‘Mech has high heat; it is surrounded by open air, which is a poor conductor.  Instead Pods suffer an increased chance of explosions from attacks by inferno missiles and Plasma Rifles.  Plasma Rifles must hit the Pod itself and causes an ammo explosion, but Inferno missiles force a player to roll a separate ammo explosion check taking into account only the heat generated by the number of missiles.
·   In order to supply ammunition from a Pod to an arm-mounted weapon, the arm must have a critical slot dedicated to ammunition for the same weapon and the limb’s hardpoint critical slot must be placed next to it.  (Note that after the first ton of ammunition is used, the ‘Mech will become unbalanced, unless it uses ammunition from both Pods equally.)

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 02:58:42 AM »

Basically, they can carry 10% of their total weight in these hardpoints?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up