OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: World Building  (Read 44173 times)

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
Re: World Building
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »

Here are a couple of examples.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Trace Coburn

• Sergeant
  • Родина и свобода!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »

- Albedo
- Greenhouse
- Axial tilt
- base average temps and max high and lows
- rainfall average per year
  I don't have exact numbers on these, but I've ballparked the equatorial climate as similar to that of Washington D.C. or Rome, with the poles being a touch worse than Earth's Arctic or Antarctic for cold & snow.

I'll keep albedo (reflected light) and tilt as for earth and base the equatorials off Washington.  Do you have average rainfall and temps for Washington so I don't have to search?
  ... I keep forgetting that I'm talking to a fellow native of the South Pacific, not a Yank.   :-[  Erm... This might help, but then again, it's Wikipedia, so who knows how accurate it is?  :-\
  Then again, making that the benchmark might not be the best parallel - between Washington having such marked seasonal shifts, the equator being pretty much season-less, and the Sorens having chosen their settlement-sites with the conscious intent of having mild summers and snowy winters....   :-\  I'll try to refine that.

As to placing cities and nations, it is easier if I give you the base map and you mark where you want things. If you dont have a decent paint program, some scrawl will do and then I can place them in Campaign Cartopgrapher or in GIMP.
  I'd assumed that - the regional names were mainly to give you an idea of the respective areas' most well-known features, which I'd hoped would help guide the design process.   :-\

I'm looking at the test-maps now - I'll get back to you in a short while.

Thanks!   8)

Developer-in-Chief, Renegade Tech 2.0

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 09:17:25 PM »

Found the climate data earlier, makes for a cool world.

@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Trace Coburn

• Sergeant
  • Родина и свобода!
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 02:51:27 AM »

Found the climate data earlier, makes for a cool world.
  Which is why most of the settlements have congregated in the equatorial band, their ancestors' intentions about 'toughening up the breed' notwithstanding.  (Come to think of it, in those respects Soren's actually very much like Svoboda....)

After printing out the 'Ico' version of your test map and using scissors and tape to turn it into a d20 ;D, it's starting to grow on me.  I can always spread the five Baronies across both of the major continents, instead of keeping them all on the one (it'd lend a level of complexity to the campaign and its outcome, at that).  I've attached a .jpg below: could you please run another iteration of this map, using most of the same basic parameters you used for this one, but putting the poles in the indicated positions and increasing the roughness of the terrain by, oh, 5-10% from its current level?  ;)  (I was going to ask for even rougher before I realised that how much detail I'd lost by printing to a mere A4-size.  :o )

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »

Done as orderd. 

Also, the image climate did not update properly on the last one, so this shows the cold areas better. 

North pole changes to Lat 30 Long 80.

@BlackNova01

Trace Coburn

• Sergeant
  • Родина и свобода!
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »

Done as orderd. 

Also, the image climate did not update properly on the last one, so this shows the cold areas better. 

North pole changes to Lat 30 Long 80.
... hmmm.
  Well, the layout of the land-masses works okay, but assuming that the greenish-brown areas are lower-fertility regions created by altitude and related climate issues, the increased rise-and-fall of the terrain might have been a mistake.   :(

Hoping that the third time will be the charm:
- Please go back to the first run's settings for terrain ruggedness.  (We might end up going a little below that, even, but not on this run - let's see how the other parts shake out first.)
- It might pay to bump the average equatorial temperatures up by a few degrees, as well.  (You're right that this planet's looking a little too cool for my concept - especially by the looks of all those lifeless mountaintop regions.)  The D.C. benchmark was, what, an average of 20-25 C?  Nudge it up by 5 degrees (to 25-30 C) and let's see how we go.   :-\
-  Maybe increase the precipitation by a few percentage-points as well?  This one's dealer's choice.

Sorry to be such a pain-in-the-ass customer about this, Blacknova:'(

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »

This is the basic map building process. I think the General AoC Map went through what, like two dozen plus revisions?...

You're doing just fine.  ;D
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »

Yes, I had a bouncing clown I called Knightmare on that one that got quite the regular beating... :)

@BlackNova01

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »

Not bothered by making changes at all, I like to ensure people are happy with what I produce, that way more people will want my work.

Here is version 3

@BlackNova01

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

Not bothered by making changes at all, I like to ensure people are happy with what I produce, that way more people will want my work.

Here is version 3

Like he has competition or his customer service is second rate... ;D
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Trace Coburn

• Sergeant
  • Родина и свобода!
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 04:06:20 AM »

Here is version 3
  Sorry for the delay in responding to the latest run - between Armageddon Wellington and becoming an uncle, this weekend was a 'little' busy!   :o
  We're getting there, I'd say, but like with the first run, the polar 'cold' regions are rather too small.  Could you increase the axial tilt a little?  Let's call it four degrees to start with.  (That *will* increase the polar caps/sub-arctic bands a little, right?  :-\  IIRC, it'll certainly make the seasonal weather-shifts sharper....)

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

These look really cool
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »

Sorry for the delay in responding to the latest run - between Armageddon Wellington and becoming an uncle, this weekend was a 'little' busy!   :o
  We're getting there, I'd say, but like with the first run, the polar 'cold' regions are rather too small.  Could you increase the axial tilt a little?  Let's call it four degrees to start with.  (That *will* increase the polar caps/sub-arctic bands a little, right?  :-\  IIRC, it'll certainly make the seasonal weather-shifts sharper....)

That's alright, life gets like that. This might turn the trick, with a differnt temp scale and 30 degree tilt.

@BlackNova01

Trace Coburn

• Sergeant
  • Родина и свобода!
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:22 AM »

That's alright, life gets like that. This might turn the trick, with a different temp scale and 30 degree tilt.
  ... and that'll do nicely, thank you, Blacknova;D  If you could please whip up a 'space' view of the planet and PM me the exact numbers you used to generate this map-version, so I can plug them into a 'planetary profile' write-up like we've seen in the Handbook House X series, I do believe that should do it.  8)

(If you feel the urge to create a series of sub-maps, showing each continent/sub-region like a planetary atlas, I'd eagerly welcome the added detail, but that's a 'nice-to-have', not a 'must-have'.  Once I've got the 'space' view and the planetary data, the current map should more than cover my geography needs for writing fiction set on Soren.  8))
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:23:24 AM by Trace Coburn »

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 01:26:05 AM »

Tilt of 30 degrees, Base temp was -5 at the equator with a varience of 16 and a seasonal change of up to 50 from cldest to hottest and north pole was at Lat 30 Long 80.  Rainfall average is 137.2cm/year.

I can make more detailed maps, it just means I export a larger file and you cut them up.  i would have to email such a file straight to you.

As to a space scene, give me a day or so.

@BlackNova01

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up