OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FM: SLDF (SPOILERS!)  (Read 13867 times)

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
Re: FM: SLDF (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

Seeing how they already printed dates and published fanbooks, that's a major retcon on BTSD's part.

Yeah, it would be, but it sounds like whatever Tak decides to do its going to be a major retcon.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »

Seeing how they already printed dates and published fanbooks, that's a major retcon on BTSD's part.

Yeah, it would be, but it sounds like whatever Tak decides to do its going to be a major retcon.

Assuming he decides to incorporate the new info...

IMO: It's an AU. So who cares what the new FM says. No offense, but the closer an AU is to published canon the less I care about it. (Unless of course the mix is significant enough to create some fun variables...)
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »

I guess we shall find out soon enough.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »

I'm all about fun Knightmare and before to long I hope to get a nice revision going.  ;)

Meanwhile back to the review!

Military History (The Star League Defense Force) page 7-11
This section outlines the legacy of the mighty SLDF right up to the days before the massive Periphery Uprising when fifty secret BattleMech Divisions descended on them, all as you know just around the corner. This history before the great conflict to come shapes much of the SLDF’s philosophies even though the facts are old retreads.
The overview paragraph touches once more on what I like to call “the Faith of the Star League.” Despite many real obstacles the confidence and morale of the entire force is tied to the belief that they are part of “Something more” or a greater good. Direct reference is even made to the First Lord as something to be overcome which I find remarkable. As BattleTech fans we know how folks look back to the Star League with awed reverence but the soldiers of the SLDF did so in their own time.
The first and only official war that the SLDF ever got involved in was the Reunification War. This extremely bloody conflict which was replete with human wave attacks, nuclear strikes, and terrorism serves as the crucible in which the SLDF develops its indomitable spirit. No matter the battle, the crisis, or dire situation the membership always had the attitude of a winner. They would succeed and outlast any opponent to fulfill their obligations to the League. I also found it interesting that despite the “dirty” tactics used by the Periphery that the SLDF bore no ill will. There is no undertone of disrespect or hint at a grudge.
Next up we have the First Hidden War which I found most interesting because the Ronin fought each other developing their skills and honing their art before seeking greater challenges from the SLDF. Since these masterless warriors came about as a result of the Edict of 2650 and the first Star League involvement was 2681 that is three decades of refinement! These guys probably had a pretty fine edge, no wonder they beat Star League warriors early on. After that the Ronin would fight the SLDF in over 300 duels for the next 70 years. For three generations it is said that more than 90% of the SLDF witnessed a duel. It was during this propaganda “war” that the SLDF earned its heroic identity.
Now the Second Hidden War write up contains my biggest gripe because there is no mention of the Marik Civil War what so ever. I know the SLDF really didn’t participate but there had to be some action to at least mention. Instead we have a total focus on the War of Davion Succession. Here the point that most intrigued me was Commanding General Fredasa, a patriot or traitor? I’ve always wonder myself why a guy who got executed got a Clan Warship named after him but the write up here suggests a much wider conspiracy to replace First Lord Jonathon with his sister. Basically Fredasa’s successor and deputy at the time General Fetladral must have know something was going on. Was there a wider scheme that Fredasa took the fall for? Interestingly enough we learn at this time the SLDF shifts its loyalty from true fealty for House Cameron to the Star League as an organization.
The summation of the 3rd Hidden War quite aptly sets the scene for the recent aftermath of this conflict which is not all that distant of a memory. We get a few timeline-esque events like the final Martial Olympaid in 2736 and the start of the Kerensky Regency in 2752 that we already know. The 2744 order to Kerensky “suppress banditry” with a wide latitude of strategic options left open and the fact that First Lord Simon Cameron refused to bring up the raiding issue after 2745 I don’t remember prior. Perhaps the most appealing revelation to me as what could have been the ultimate cause of why the war ended. The Arms Amendment of 2752 saw the integration of so many “raiders” into legitimate House units that wide spread conflict ground to a halt. With the number of covert warriors reduced the action was bound to peter out.
The final section talks about the Periphery build up to the current publication date (2764) highlights the impact of high taxes by the Houses to raise their new double the size militaries on the Periphery. Almost at once revolts begin to spread especially in the Taurian Concordat. By the 2760s the Houses were starting to get back to raiding despite increased integration and the war with the Taurian Freedom Army (TFA) is in full swing. I just wonder how some of the SLDF felt at this time. Being used by the House Lords in order to fund private militaries would have gotten to me. I know it talks of Kerensky taking charge himself but morale must have been in the toilet. That is just my opinion although the FM gives me the feeling that all is well - so beats me folks??

CJvR

• Fanjunkare
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »

I have got to say this hardcover is fantastic! Well worth the wait. Love the detail on the divisions and universe in general. Color map interior I love. Gonna set up some topics here so we can talk about the long awaited revision of BT Shattered Dawn cause this book has got me fired up!
Any interesting figures on the size and composition of the army and navy that diverges from the SLSB?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 08:30:01 PM »

There are some interesting facts and figures throughout the book which mainly expand on what is in the original. The next section which is Organization actually gives us a significant growth date for the SLDF. I'll get back to posting that tomorrow.  ;)

muttley

• Lojtnant
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »

I thought the piece about the armored divisions and the RCTs (1 x Armor, 3 x Infantry Regiments) was interesting.  The "non-Corps" units looked to be quite substantial.  Makes me wonder what the true casualty rates were if the "garrison" infantry wasn't mentioned.
"It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men than we imagined we could be -- and no worse than we feared." Drago Museveni, CY 8451

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 12:03:54 AM »

Hey Mutt! Good to hear from you. And u are right on. Lot of interesting tidbits that I got to get to. I do have to point to time as a contributing factor to SLDF attrition. Kerensky was at war for a long time here and Infantry especially is a young persons job. So yeah casualty rate was likely high but many units were likely disbanded or reassigned based on need for all those years that they drove to liberate Earth.

My apologizes for not getting back here gang.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up