OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Reviewing FR DCMS 2765  (Read 32291 times)

Abele

• General
  • A Man in a Tin Suit
Re: Reviewing FR DCMS 2765
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 01:51:34 AM »

I do agree with you TigerShark that so far neither of these books has really managed to make me believe they were written in 2765. FR DC does a better job than the FR CC cause at least you get major points of conflict with the Hegemony which the Liao report forgot. As I already pointed out shipyards is a red flag to me because of the centralized nature of Draconis industry. The  Luthien yards should have been the center of the DCA Navy instead you get no reference to them even though we know they existed. If Chatham and Schuyler were the main centers why weren't they attacked during the First Succession War like Luthien was? Also regarding the Luthien attack it was only after that incident that the DCMS kept 4 Mech regiments there for defense previous having only 2. Make sense to me cause Kurita is always on the attack not the defense however the deployment map clearly has 4 regiments on the capital world 20 years prior to the Lyran raid. As for the Periphery I would have liked to have seen some mention of arms sales to unknown parties and ronin trainers for what eventually becomes the Periphery BattleMech Divisions. That and the Dragon's own secret build up would have been the answer to me how they are so ably fueling their military economy at this time.

The Dracs mad no inroads towards the OA due to the fact that they had 3 larger potential enemies in the Feddies, Lyrans and Terrans. Also, they had two SLDF armis in their own borders and another SLDF army was stationed in the OA. Basically they had bigger fish to fry, why worry about the guppy at your peaceful back door. Then there is the Piranha Principle to worry about, as well. If you go after the small fish, the bigger fish may/will come after you.

PS: IIRC, the OA at this time number nearly 100 regiments of troops plus 15 Warships so they wouldn't have been that easy to crack. I believe I read this in the Major Periphery States book
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:53:34 AM by Abele »
The Honor of Men cannot be bound by the words of Fools- Marco Hietala
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Chaos doesn't need a recipe, just a list of ingredients. - Drakensis
Kachi ni Fushigi no Kachi Ari. Make ni Fushigi no Make Nashi
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of Doom™®©

lrose

• General
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 07:34:50 AM »

PS: IIRC, the OA at this time number nearly 100 regiments of troops plus 15 Warships so they wouldn't have been that easy to crack. I believe I read this in the Major Periphery States book

That is largely the secret army which none of the IS leaders knew about until the Uprisings of 2765- the legal (and public) OWA army was 5 battlemech regiments and 4 warships.  And as for the DC getting involved in the OWA- Takiro is not talking about military operations, but rather covert efforts to subvert the nation, using social and economic means. 

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »

Quite correct Irose, I was writing about involvement with the Periphery such as the Dracs being some of the biggest arms salesman and trainers of the Periphery BattleMech Divisions. It is a possible that the Star League didn't know or suspect this activity instead suspecting the Dragon of keeping everything for itself. Still the Rim Worlds Republic and the Outworlds Alliance border the Combine and I am hard pressed to find a mention of them in the Field Report.

Okay lets talk Sword of Light. The first unit covered in the Field Report gives us the canon answer to the long awaited resolution of the mess begun in Field Manual Draconis Combine. For those who aren't familiar with what I'm talking about the history of the Sword of Light regiments was originally began in the year 2475 when one of their units took on a Steiner Occupation Force at the Battle of Nox marking the first Mech vs. Mech conflict. This major event in BattleTech history was first documented in the House Sourcebooks but Field Manual Draconis Combine destroyed this precious tie to the past by stating Takiro Kurita first formed the Sword of Light during Kerensky's Regency (2751-2755). This screwed up the continuity of the BattleTech universe to say the least leading to speculation of what happened, in universe theories, and proposed solutions to this mess.

Field Report DCMS 2765 takes Takiro's formation of the Sword of Light regiments as a grand reformation of their numbers in the  2740s changing the way they were assembled and outfitted. Previously there were twelve regiments (which does feed off the old sidebar in HSSB) after Takiro there were five. Later in the write up it say Urizen II made it a tradition that Kurita heir's served in one of these units. Despite missing on the dates of the Regency and ignoring other older sources like the Galtor Campaign (I think??) which list higher number Sword units indicating more than 5 during the Succession War the solution sort of works. However it kind of bothers me especially when you look at Regimental Status.

In 2765 the 1st (Ivory), the 2nd (Steel), the 4th (Jade), the 5th (Gold), and the 7th (Teak) are listed as the active five. Yet during the 1st Succession War which is only 20 years later the 3rd Sword of Light is lead by Jinjiro Kurita himself leads the 3rd Sword of Light against the Davion held world of Cartago (June 2787). Almost 10 years later Coordinator Minoru Kurita leads the 6th Sword of Light against the Davion held of Kentares in the early summer of 2796. So its still a mess. I guess the 6th could have been a newly formed unit to replace a damaged/deactivated one but the 3rd? Your barely two years into the fighting. Its a clumsy attempt at best to me to seal the breach. Kinda disappointed.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:39:00 AM by Takiro »

lrose

• General
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »

In 2765 the 1st (Ivory), the 2nd (Steel), the 4th (Jade), the 5th (Gold), and the 7th (Teak) are listed as the active five. Yet during the 1st Succession War which is only 20 years later the 3rd Sword of Light is lead by Jinjiro Kurita himself leads the 3rd Sword of Light against the Davion held world of Cartago (June 2787). Almost 10 years later Coordinator Minoru Kurita leads the 6th Sword of Light against the Davion held of Kentares in the early summer of 2796. So its still a mess. I guess the 6th could have been a newly formed unit to replace a damaged/deactivated one but the 3rd? Your barely two years into the fighting. Its a clumsy attempt at best to me to seal the breach. Kinda disappointed.

I didn't see this as an issue. In the FR it says their are indications that the DC is forming additional SoL units.  Even with Takiro's reformation, I can see raising additional SoL regiments- they are the elite of the DCMS and if you can have more why not?  The reformation could even be a cover for the creation of additional units. 

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »

Yeah, each has an extra battalion and some have two more companies, which nearly three instant regiments if you need them.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »

I re-read the entry again and you are right Irose as Blacknova says you have a few "Shadow Regiments" as we call them in BTSD. I'm still left wanting on the whole solution and the door is wide open to expansion once again. I had thought there would be a strict observance of the five pillar system but apparently not. What are the other regiments to be based on then??

lrose

• General
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 01:06:19 AM »

I think in 2765 the 5 pillers is a smoke screen for hiding additional regiments. In 3025 when mechs are scarcer, the 5 pillers is observed because the DCMS can't add a 6th (or more) SoL regiment since they lack the equipment needed to equip it.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2013, 02:57:37 AM »

Maybe there will end up being 15 of them, brigaded into five pillars.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

lrose

• General
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »

I like that idea a lot

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »

That is a definite possibility Blacknova but we know it never got above 12 which is a problem.

Sword of Light
   In Buddhist legend, the Myoos are wrathful deities who drag unwilling souls to their salvation. Each Myoo carries a flaming sword that represents the radiance of Buddha’s teachings. This odd sense of salvation through the actions of a wrathful deity appealed to the earliest members of the Kurita ruling family. It rationalized warring upon one’s neighbors to save them from themselves. As the elite of the DCMS, the Sword of Light were always compared to the flaming sword of the Myoos.
   To be accepted into a Sword of Light regiment, a candidate must have spent at least five years in a lesser BattleMech regiment and have scored in the upper 5 percent of a rigorous battery of political, religious, and military tests. Those who manage to make their way into a Sword of Light regiment are the crème de la crème. If he lives to retire, no easy feat, a Sword of Light warrior can look forward to a life of comfort and glory. There have been twelve different Sword of Light regiments throughout the history of the DCMS. There are currently five.
-   From “Unique Regiments in the Armies of the Successor States”, General Malvos Steinburg (LCAF retired)

What about the battalion structure, does that remain reinforced?

What is there strength in 2785? 8 regiments? Cause we know about the 3rd and 6th in time period already exist. The 8th is a common unit from 3025 and it could be fielded by the numbers we know now. What nicknames would we go with for these units? And would Otomo be included here or kept as a noble regiment till 3025??

lrose

• General
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »

That is a definite possibility Blacknova but we know it never got above 12 which is a problem.

Maybe 15 was the target but they never achieved it due to the destruction of the SWs.   Interestingly one of the units is the 15th SoL - TR3025 P. 138 TR3039 P. 220

What is there strength in 2785? 8 regiments? Cause we know about the 3rd and 6th in time period already exist. The 8th is a common unit from 3025 and it could be fielded by the numbers we know now. What nicknames would we go with for these units? And would Otomo be included here or kept as a noble regiment till 3025??

I would put the strength at 7-8 regiments in 2785 that sounds about right.  I think the Otomo would be a separate unit.  Not sure what to do about nicknames, maybe they have names like the Shadow Teak Dragon, Shadow Jade Dragon, etc

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »

Yeah BattleTech Wiki gives a pretty good look at known Sword units.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sword_of_Light

I still find it hard to believe they reached that goal of brigade level Sword of Light units. Even though it may have been an excellent idea. So how many exist in 2785? We could always write it as a mystery or best guess.

I'll look through nicknames again. Perhaps a variation of Gold for one of the regiments (Silver for the Combine's heir?), or a variation of Steel (Iron or something denoting another service branch of the military?), etc for Teak, Jade, and Ivory??

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »

The thing is the higher unit numbers could easily have been raised to replace the fallen "dishonoured" units so they might only have 4 or 5 active at a time but have high numbers
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »

What about the battalion structure, does that remain reinforced?

Perhaps they tried to go for the 15 Regiments but found out somewhere along the way that against the SLDF, more raw strength was needed and so a 4th Battalion was added.
Or the 4th Battalions could be an idea to quickly increase if needed the numbers of Sword of Light Regiments.
Or the idea could come from the absorption of the remains of another Regiment as a temporary solution but one that was found quite efficient to spearhead assaults and was therefore kept.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »

I think we will go with a cover story in Threat Assessments that the Five Pillars organizational doctrine for the Sword of Light, which is played up by the DCMS as much as possible, is a suspected guise for several Shadow (Hidden) Regiments. These are obviously the Combine's most dangerous hidden units for their possible capabilities. The Terrans will document 3 regiments and may suspect more while the AFFS discounts this possibility citing the 5 as sacred to the DCMS. The LCAF may believe some number in the middle but you get the picture. ;)

And now on to the Arkab Legions whose entry is not all that earth shattering but nonetheless well done. We knew that the Legions were excellent raiders but what I liked was the family touch bought to this write up which was two fold. Many families serve together in the Legion and most are taught by their family bringing a strong sense of tradition to the unit. These close ties also bleed over to the organization which views each branch (Mech, Vehicle, Infantry, Aerospace) as part of the family (unit). I really liked this touch to the unit.

They kind of double down on the insular nature of the DCMS preferring to operate independently and with views like the DCMS as an ally you can see why. They acknowledge the Coordinator as the Supreme Allied Commander certainly but as you can imagine this doesn't go over well with many in the Combine. As a result their Procurement status is low with only their ability as warriors earning them supplies. The ISF's inability to infiltrate the tight knit Azami usually means they end up as part of the Regimental Liaison Team (RLT) which is a new reveal and makes sense. Despite some suspicion incidents between the two parties are few and all regiments are indicated as reliable.

For Threat Assessments we originally had the Legions as three regiments strong but the Field Report has them at five regiments in 2765. I really can't argue the numbers so I think BTSD will just bump it up to five with no additional units by 2785. Not sure if as the DCMS I'd really trust them with any Shadow (Hidden) Regiments. What do you think?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up