OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quicksilver Program #36: Clan Assault Tank (Tracked)  (Read 9722 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: Quicksilver Program #36: Clan Assault Tank (Tracked)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »

Ghost Bear!?! :o

Poor Ice Hellions thought this one was in the bag but I will allow it given the fluff which points to an interesting motive.

That makes 5 entries folks. Get your design in before the stroke of midnight nearly 7 hours away.

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »

I just dropped the mic.

I dropped yo mic too

if there is a mic, I dropped it!

lots of little hints in there, be sure to pick up on all of them.
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 12:02:57 AM »

Ok folks time is up. Please no further designs.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »

Well the time has come for one last review my friends and with the snow coming down again here in New York lets get to it. I did want to favor a little bit of maneuverability (3/5s) over crawling speed (2/3s) but man this one was close.

5. Phobos (Abele)
While finishing in last place this 90 ton design by the Ice Hellions really is not all that bad. What hurts its development is the lack of chassis for this weight class making the 95 ton class easier in at least that one fashion. Abele uses a modified Alacorn chassis combined with a 180 Fusion Engine (2/3) which can be obtained from either the Wyvern IIC or the Corvis. While this slow speed does make for strike two it does leave ample room for 16.5 ton of ferro fibrous (316 factor) which is solid protection. With a 4 ton turret (40 ton capacity) and 44 tons of pod space (nearly half the vehicle mass) you can really pack a punch. I do not like the integral Anti Missile System mounted in the turret which reduces options but that is a bit of a nitpick. Primary is an excellent reminder of its forebearer but the rest are a little too energy based for my liking. One big energy weapon per configuration would have allowed you to better optimize the design. I would have tried more ballistic and even missile configurations like E. Also configurations like F could have featured multiple turret artillery which is out of the box but seemed to run dry on ammo space. Thanks to its small power plant it is one of the cheapest entries and overall I liked it. Just looking for something a wee bit faster, nice try Abele.

4. Leviathan (JPArbiter)
Out of the blue came this late entry by JPArbiter filled with goodies. Ghost Bears creating this 100 ton monster does make sense given their interest in the IIC Vehicle Compromise they favored and adds some competition to this all Ice Hellion party. Alluding to plans for the Behemoth and Rasalhague is a brilliant stroke in the fluff cleverly justifying their sudden appearance. Also included are the Coyotes whose help on “open source” modular pods is perhaps early since the Spheroids have yet developed Omni tech but well done. I would also like to think of both Clans working on a possible Super Heavy Tank named the Leviathan but that just might be me. The 3 ton turret (30 ton capacity) creates some interesting configurations based more on energy weapons than usual for a vehicle. This too is a tantalizing approach to vehicle construction which eliminates ammunition dependency. With 56 tons of pod space it could have a stupefying array of weaponry and equipment. So why with a great name, an awesome story, and some very intriguing possibilities do I have this design in fourth place? Answer; low speed combined with low armor. The 200 Fusion (2/3) is available from the Mars without a doubt and I think I know were the Bears are getting the vehicle frames from making production relatively easy. However, combined with 13 tons of ferro fibrous (248 factor) this OmniVehicle is a huge lumbering target. Granted it is not horrible protection but this thing is gonna draw enemies like flies. Given the other choices here and the fact that Bear participation skates on the edge of established Quicksilver rules I placed it here. As a proof of concept vehicle for whatever the Bears have planned as well as a dramatic announcement of their future plans, I love it! This design will play an important role in the ongoing story. Great job JP! Remember Hellions some days you get the Bear, other days the Bear gets you.

3. Hercules (fitzgerald)
This 90 ton Ice Hellion entry runs into the same problem as Abele’s Phobos. Based on the Puma it has to be scaled down five tons increasing overall design time. However the 270 Fusion Engine (3/5) from the Highlander IIC provides the necessary speed I was looking for. This power plant could have also come from the Shadow Hawk IIC or the Supernova. With 18.5 tons of ferro aluminum (355 factor) it certainly was well protected from enemy attacks. Increasing the Puma’s turret to 2 tons (20 ton capacity) and retaining 34 tons of pod space for weapons creates an interesting mix. Primary configuration is being based so closely on the Puma albeit rearranged is nicely done. Alternate A was slightly over weight in the turret but easily correctable and very potent offensively. Curious why you did not mount the Streak SRM 6 in the turret for the ultra accurate Configuration B? The fluff was very solid and the name was good however I liked two others better. Bronze medal!

2. Sekhmet (fitzgerald)
Despite my wishes to have a speedier winner this 100 ton Ice Hellion entry crept its way to the top. About the only thing I can say bad about it is it is slow thanks to its 200 Fusion Engine (2/3). However basing the design so closely on the Mars makes development fast and the fluff is really good. Nice easter eggs! Love the name as well. Can I complain about too much armor cause with 20 tons of ferro fibrous (384 factor) this thing can take a beating! A 4 ton turret (40 ton capacity) combined with 48 tons of pod space for weapons and equipment creates a nice balance with space for ammunition. Like the configurations including Primary which is a nod to the Alacorn. Very close to a surprising outcome for me but I liked one other entry just a little more. Fanatastic job fitzgerald!

1. Rudra (drakensis)
This 80 ton Ice Hellion entry based on the Star League Fury Command Tank edged out its opponents here. The 240 Fusion Engine (3/5) from the Griffin IIC gave it good speed and it is pretty common. The power plant can also be found on the Battle Cobra, Oro Heavy Tank, Glass Spider, Matador, and Issus. With 12.5 tons of ferro fibrous (240 factor) it featured solid protection for its 6 person crew which is also safeguarded by an integral front mounted Anti Missile System. The original 1.5 ton turret (15 ton capacity) was retained for the 35 tons of pod space available for weapons and equipment. My biggest grip is about how the configurations were laid out. I was not thrilled with Primary Configuration leading off with a Thumper Artillery Cannon and 5 ton Infantry Compartment. Not saying it is bad but the more conventional line fighters should have led. Alternate Configuration A is also an Artillery platform with two Arrow IV Systems and is a good replacement for the Clan Huey but again it is a bit too highly placed. It takes until Alternate B (which is my favorite) until we see a true line fighter with a Gauss Rifle and triple SRM 4 launcher mounted in the turret along with a front mounted LRM 20 and a Large Pulse Laser providing nice assault firepower. Alternate C is a missile carrier with triple LRM 20 racks and D is a nice replacement for the Ishtar. I would rearrange these configurations and add a weapon array which I like from the canon Morrigu. Developed by the Blood Spirits it is a near perfect match for this OmniVehicle. I think both they and their Fire Mandrill allies would become fast fans of this design. Great job drak, another win for you!

I really can not thank everyone enough for their participation during these contests. I will do my best to create a great fanbook for every BattleTech aficionado to enjoy. Technical Readout 3054: Quicksilver Trails will hopefully be completed in September of this year and look for new fiction on the Clarion Call universe soon. I may do an additional Quicksilver Trail in the future based on a theme you have seen within these contests. I have not decided yet. Shifting my focus to warships for now. Off to plow!

fitzgerald

• Kavallerist
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »

Congrats Drakensis

@Tariko  the inspiration for the Sekhmet, well watch this video   oh and this one  as well

As for the Hercules B  the idea was to have a forward firing weapon independent of the turret. 

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »

*shrug* I figured that 13 tons was good enough for the behemoth tank , the Leviathan's progenitor.

the idea for this was most definatly a vehicle that could be shared with Native Rasalhaugian Garrisons.  Not right away... but eventually.  still I knew it was a long shot, so Yo!  I do find it odd you would penalize an assault tank for low speed when it's job is not to chase stuff down but to trundle through at a medium pace.  any assault tank is going to be spending the bulk of it's time in cover, ideally in tank bunkers which makes armor rather redundant, as I know from personal experience.  ever seen a lance of PPC Carriers hold back a Clan Cluster?  I have!  Tank Bunkers!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:02:31 PM by JPArbiter »
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 02:10:27 AM »

Drakensis dances the dance of victorious victory.

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:43:22 PM »

Okay drakensis have you been watching A Cinderella Story again. My daughter is looking for her copy
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:13 AM »

Okay drakensis have you been watching A Cinderella Story again. My daughter is looking for her copy
Not sure I have have watched that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up