OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quicksilver Program #32: Clan Urban Assault Vehicle (Wheeled)  (Read 13244 times)

masterarminas

• General
Re: Quicksilver Program #32: Clan Urban Assault Vehicle (Wheeled)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »

Folks, work has been kicking my butt.  I'm sorry, but I've got to bow out of this one.  Fluff simply will not be finished in time (or even this week!). 

Good luck to everyone else.

MA

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »

Well that stinks. Hopefully we will see the master back soon. As for the contest its all over

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »

Well folks i have to delay the results of this challenge until a later date because snow weather here in the North East. I will try and get it done as soon as time permits.  In the meantime you guys can begin work on the next trail, Universal Weapons Carrier. That contest will hopefully start next Monday. Have a nice week off!

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »

Well I have logged quite a lot of overtime for the past couple of weeks. Sorry for the long delay here folks. Snow really does a number on me during these winter months and more is scheduled tomorrow. Here is hoping this review makes sense. We had another good turn out for the Wheeled Urban Combatant with 9 entries by 5 different designers. There were three big things I was looking for in a winner this time around. First off I wanted to find a design that would start filling out one of the unfilled mass categories for the Clans. For this contest that meant there were four possibilities; 45 tons, 55 tons, 70 tons, 80 tons. Second I was looking for that +2 MP at flank speed boost on the roads which can be found at 4/6 (5/8), 6/9 (7/11), or 8/12 (9/14) unless I am misremembering the rules. Finally there is the Quicksilver mantra of using existing war materiel. So with that in mind lets get to it.

N/A. Gurzil (masterarminas)
This 30 ton design by the Hell’s Horses was based on the SLDF Chevalier and fit the two person (1 warrior and 1 tech) crew concept. With a 160 Fusion (6/9) from the Corvis BattleMech it moves a little slower than its predecessor but has impressive capabilities. A 4.5 ton of Ferro-Fibrous (86 factor) armored shell provides solid protection. An integral Active Probe was added presumably for superior reconnaissance capabilities which would fit nicely for such a Light Wheeled OmniVehicle. With 10 tons of pod space its 1 ton Turret could effective carry its entire payload. I loved the Gurzil name from the Berber War Gold unfortunately it had no fluff and was ultimately disqualified.

8. Sun Wukong (drakensis)
This 6 ton Ice Hellion attack bike is another solid ultralight concept which was excellently put together. A 30 Fusion Engine (8/12) speeds this OmniVehicle into combat with only a ton of Ferro-Fibrous (19 factor) for protection. What kind of armor are we talking about here especially on a wide open vehicle like a motorcycle. Obviously there is no turret on this motorcycle which maximizes what armor there is for this Elemental delivery system. This concept is very intriguing for me. Could such an attack bike be capable of such high speed insertions especially for headhunting missions? Thereafter it could support such attacks but I wonder about its practicality. With 2 tons of pod space it has nice firepower for its size. Personally I would have liked to have seen a flamer configuration to scare the hell out of rioters or conventional infantry. Not bad drakensis, I like this one a lot. I will have to study the concept for potential uses.

7. Serbon (Abele)
A little more practical 10 ton Ultralight comes to us from the Diamond Sharks who based their design upon the ubiquitous Wheeled APC. Using the 60 Fusion Engine (8/12) from the Shamash gives you a readily available power plant and superior speed. With 2.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous (48 factor) it has good protection for its size even though a half ton Turret (5 ton capacity) spreads this armor out over a wider area. With 3 tons of pod space this little bugger ain’t too shabby on the battlefield. I don’t know if the Clans would place a targeting computer on such a small design and Mini weaponry in development could help increase this designs potential capabilities. Not bad at all Abele.

6. Kartikeya (Abele)
The 80 ton SLDF Rhino on wheels is an interesting submission by the Ice Hellion Clan. Our heaviest entry (which filled the 80 ton category) it was also the slowest with its 220 Fusion Engine (3/5). However, there is no such power plant in production with the Clans and modifying the existing 240 from the Rhino seems pretty complex if not implausible. With 15.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous (297 factor) it is the most well protected design not to mention its offensive capabilities which make it a true Urban Assault Vehicle. With 30 tons of pod space it can carry 25 of those tons in its 2.5 ton turret. This impressive potential firepower is added to by a 5 ton integral Infantry Bay which can deploy additional assets. Additionally the design is well named after the Hindu God of War. The fluff was alright with the contention that the Hellions use slower vehicles for garrison duty. I found that assertion plausible although it is hard to believe any Clan would chop up their roads with tracked vehicles. Sorry Abele, I like the design but there are a couple of issues preventing it from rising higher.

5. Durga (drakensis)
This 60 ton Hell’s Horses design is a modularized Demon from the SLDF glory days. Already equipped with a 220 Fusion Engine (4/6) this new Omni entry keeps much of the original Star League design intact. While the 220 is not in production you would have a stockpile from cached Demons that would facilitate early work. However you would run into problems with mass production without a source in the Homeworlds. Replacing the original PanzerSlab 2 (standard armor) with 10 tons of Composition G5 Ferro-Fibrous (191 factor) upgrades the overall protection (except for the front) for urban combat. Retaining the 1.5 ton Turret (15 ton capacity) this OmniVehicle would have 22.5 tons of pod space for weapons and equipment. This does not include an integral Active Probe and ECM Suite which would be invaluable in such tight quarter warfare. I like the configurations as well especially C for its close quarter firepower. Very nice and it is aptly named for the Hindu Goddess of Victory (Good over Evil). While the fluff is alright it was thin especially in regards to overview. Wish more was mentioned about the four person crew, deployment, or something. With the engine currently not in production, the 60 ton weight class already filled, and the thin fluff I have placed this design midway but have high hopes to see it one day in the field for the Clans. 

4. Cichol (drakensis)
The sheer awesomeness of this Ultralight Diamond Shark entry, and who couldn’t see them as car salesmen, is just great! A 14 ton design built around the SLDF Rotunda which is smaller and sleeker than its predecessor it bears a resemblance to something from the 1980s. Stealing the 80 Fusion Engine (7/11) from MASH units is probably the worst angle on this design but it does work. I was expecting a Molecular Bonded Shell but 2.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous (48 factor) will have to due. Designed as a large patrol car it has no turret maximizing protection and far out doing its predecessor. With 5 tons of pod space you can do some interesting things including Configuration A which gave me that James Bond or Spyhunter feel. Hey, it would be funny if the Watch issued this to field agents. Almost wished you had named it Kitt and tried to justify it based on some thin reason. However the Celtic Goddess of Armies makes for a fine moniker. I won’t lie, loved this design. Concept is solid and most of all fun!

3. Katyayini (Ice Hellion)
This 40 ton Hell’s Horses entry based on the Vali developed by the SLDF in the last days of the Reunification War takes a dedicated artillery vehicle and turns it into a multi-propose urban combatant. A new 140 Fusion Engine (4/6) replaces the 140 ICE on the original but from where? This power plant could be from the Howler (Baboon) BattleMech already in production by the Clans. In the future it helps to find an existing source like this and point it out in fluff. With 9.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous (180 factor) it is very well protected especially given the fact it has no turret further maximizing available armor. Designed as an Infantry Fighting Vehicle it comes with a 5 ton Infantry Bay standard which could deploy troopers right into the heart of battle. With 12 tons of pod space I like all the possibilities even without a turret. Primary Configuration is very nice mixing a good main armament (Large Pulse and Streak SRM 6) with machine gun support and Active Probe sensors. Swapping an LB-X 10 for an Ultra AC/10 is a given for two other Configurations. Named for another Hindu Goddess, this one Vengeance or Victory, it is doubly suited. I like your concept and fluff. Great job on the bronze medal.

2. Yahweh (JPArbiter)
This 70 ton Hell’s Horses innovation appears to be a completely new design and since none of the competition is currently in production it must be considered. Using a 260 Fusion Engine (4/6) pulled from old Crusader BattleMechs is an idea but it is already in production for the Fire Scorpion BattleMech as well. With 12 tons of Ferro-Fibrous (230 factor) it is a well protected Urban Assault Vehicle certainly. Its 2 ton Turret (20 ton capacity) can hold much of its 25 tons of pod space. The configurations are both diverse and simply fantastic. I like Primary with its Large Pulse, LB-X, LRM main battery supported by machine guns and B is absolutely devastating at close range. Then you get into E and H where you find this OmniVehicle really can do it all, great job. The Yahweh name works here and it also gets you back to the Hebrew theme mentioned in Quicksilver Program 9 with the Kidon. Despite its new design you came very close to winning the whole contest but one design beat you out. Silver medal!

1. Thor (drakensis)
This 55 ton Star Adder entry is simply an upgraded SLDF Thor which slides into the Clan Vehicle Naming Conventions nicely. Using the original 255 Fusion Engine (5/8) from the original SLDF Thor is also a hit with me. Frequently used on 85 ton ‘Mechs this power plant is currently in production with the Clans for the Thunder Stallion and the Blood Kite. Quicksilver has already expanded its need for the 255 with the Stone Lion OmniMech and the Kubulai OmniFighter so production seems to be there. Then there is also the possibility of salvage from cached Crocketts, Longbows or destroyed Stalkers from the InnerSphere. Replacing the original InnerSphere ferro plating with 7.5 tons of Clan Ferro-Fibrous (143 factor) already in production for the Ishtar is also another excellent use of existing materials. An expanded 1.5 ton Turret (15 ton capacity) can carry much of the design’s 18 tons of pod space which gives us some awesome possibilities. Your fluff from the back handed slap at the Smoke Jaguars to the defeat of the Steel Vipers seems spot on. I really can not argue the cost savings and the use of existing materials which cached Thor Artillery Vehicles present is very intriguing. Seamlessly transitioning from the SLDF to the Clans is very appealing too, good legacy tie in there. We have also seen Omni Kits developed for many Zombie OmniMechs as part of Quicksilver that modularize existing designs so why not one for Vehicles? Congrats drak on the win for the Thor Urban Assault Vehicle.

Another good contest gang, thanks for all your hard work. I really liked the Ultralights created for this competition. Good food for thought going forward on the concept. Now I am off to kick start the next competition before it starts snowing. Enjoy the Super Bowl!

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 12:00:33 PM »

Congratulations Drakensis.

I had missed the fact tat you needed to say where your engine was coming from...  :'( Although I had try to convert an old design into something more useful.
And Takiro, I would say that the first 140 engines were from old Panthers.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »

It worked out alright Ice, it is more important to me that the Engine is currently in production by the Clans on the Homeworlds hence my recommendation on the Howler (Baboon). You do make an excellent point however concerning the Panther which would be another good source for the 140 power plant probably by way of salvage versus the InnerSphere.

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 12:53:16 PM »

with how intimatly I was describing how my vehicle functioned, I thought I had this one in the bag!  Congrats Drakensis.
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:22 PM »

It worked out alright Ice, it is more important to me that the Engine is currently in production by the Clans on the Homeworlds hence my recommendation on the Howler (Baboon). You do make an excellent point however concerning the Panther which would be another good source for the 140 power plant probably by way of salvage versus the InnerSphere.

Or by taking them from Brian Caches.
And I had missed that point from your criteria.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »

I shall dance the dance of victorious victory!

Well done to everyone though. There were some really great designs being suggested.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »

There are a few designs a may use in a future product. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up