OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tank Building Philosophy  (Read 16259 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Tank Building Philosophy
« on: August 07, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »

Fooling around with upgrading the AFFC tank corps of the early 3050s and wanted to run some ideas past you designers here.  ;) In the search for main guns of the time you have the old Autocannons, the Ultra AC 5s, the LB-10Xs, and everybody's favorite the Gauss Rifle. That runs the table for ballistic weaponry pretty well but you also have energy weapons and many can work well especially with the Fusion Engine that is going to be a requirement for Line Armor. ER PPCs do a great job with range which is something I'm looking for especially since the Clans are my main concern but you also have ER Large Lasers and the new Pulse Lasers. Missiles aren't going to be my main weapons (these are tanks we are talking about, big gun and such) but could be used in support. Combining the ER PPC and the Gauss is always a favorite habit of mine but even that combo wasn't cutting it. So I stumbled on this idea. Artillery! What would you think of three new tanks mounting a Long Tom, a Sniper, and Thumper Artillery pieces as their main weapons? They certainly have range over their Clan opponents and could be used I think effectively against the invaders. While they wouldn't be called on for close in (on board) action ideally they could still engage opponents in such actions. Good or bad idea?? What do you think??

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
Re: Tank Building Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:54:52 AM »

There are good points and bad points which all ideas have. I have to say I for one did not think of using arty as a tank's main weapon. Everyone that includes you my fellow Clan (Ice Hellion) time to think and give options.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Hessian

• SD Developer
  • Kapten
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »

Sounds a lot like the description of the Rommel Howitzer from XTRO:Steiner on Sarna.net to me(I do not have that XTRO though).

I would guess that using such a weapon for close in combat(for which it was not designed) is rather difficult and therefore not  often successful. Therefore I would guess that successful close in attacks with such a weapon are not common, though if occasionally one succeeds the results are probably....impressive ;).

Just my thoughts though.

Ciao
Hessian

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »

Instead of full-bore artillery (no pun intended), perhaps try the Long  Tom Cannon or Sniper Cannon from Tac Ops?

These guns are not capable of off-board firing, but are pretty nifty, with good battlefield ranges and a LOT of special rules, including splash damage in adjacent hexes!

Might be just what you are looking for.

MA

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:47 AM »

Sounds a lot like the description of the Rommel Howitzer from XTRO:Steiner on Sarna.net to me(I do not have that XTRO though).

I would guess that using such a weapon for close in combat (for which it was not designed) is rather difficult and therefore not  often successful. Therefore I would guess that successful close in attacks with such a weapon are not common, though if occasionally one succeeds the results are probably....impressive ;).

Essentially correct on all accounts. You wouldn't want the enemy to get too close but these tanks can sit 1 or more boards away providing excellent fire support to their Mech buddies. So you are changing the tanks to role from close in supporter or direct participant to a not too distant support asset. But don't Tanks work like this today firing far off shots at their enemies? What I'm asking I guess is what do you think a tank should be able to do??

Instead of full-bore artillery (no pun intended), perhaps try the Long  Tom Cannon or Sniper Cannon from Tac Ops?

These guns are not capable of off-board firing, but are pretty nifty, with good battlefield ranges and a LOT of special rules, including splash damage in adjacent hexes!

Might be just what you are looking for.

It is but it isn't. The Artillery Canons are a test bed or experimental (level 3) technology and hence not available as mass production. Trying to use what I have at hand. You probably would see a few such examples on the battlefield but these are the exception and not the rules I'm looking for.

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »

I would guess that using such a weapon for close in combat(for which it was not designed) is rather difficult and therefore not  often successful. Therefore I would guess that successful close in attacks with such a weapon are not common, though if occasionally one succeeds the results are probably....impressive ;).

So long as you are not at point blank range (and have a line tank with respectable armor or a high rate of speed, pick one or the other), firing artillery directly at 17 hexes is actually rather effective against the Clans. It rips up Elementals and it quickly deals with the issue of fast moving OmniMechs, since you're firing at the hex and not the target (no target movement modifier). Direct fire artillery is rather nice in this regard in the modern era, and the same would be true in the earlier Clan Invasion timeline. There's one key here though. Direct fire artillery tanks are going to attract fire quickly. Do not let them skimp on armor, unless you're going with a fast moving hovercraft. And if you're going with a standard tracked/wheeled tank (I'd strongly recommend tracked), then load up on armor and skip most secondary weapons (have supporting tanks there for that). Then find some higher ground to overlook the field from 17 hexes (preferably with trees) and start unloading. Even the lighter artillery does respectable damage to light fast movers and elementals with direct fire.
The first one to use the term Dork Age loses.

Gabriel

• General
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »

I hear the gears turning !!!! Hey Ice Hellion stop ice Skateing and get onboard.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »

...Pretty much what Dread said.  I would like to remind you of their range, however, which is measured in boards.  And that those are 17 hexes as defined by rules.

You can still rip things up out of direct-fire range, you just need to plan ahead, and that can be major in any game of 2 or more mapsheets or something from HeavymetalMap.  Just don't forget to look at other force multipliers besides artie; I haven't seen any mention of C3 (probably because it doesn't work with tube artie), but it would help your danger-close defenses enormously.

Lots of ammo, Case or Case II, Anti-laser rounds, smoke rounds - look at the entire list of equipment before designing.  When was the last time you took an amphibious artie tank?  Don't forget the surprise advantage you get from something like that might be worth mentioning one or two exist in the Variant section; enemy mechs can't walk on water, people don't take conventional displacement hulls willingly, and hovers can still set off floating mines and be shot with direct fire like anything else.

And don't forget trailers!  And don't forget trailers!  And, don't forget trailers!  For a single item, a trailer hitch can pull as much as DOUBLE your weapons tonnage at the cost of something hard to define out of combat; speed.  And since your main weapon has such range, it might be useful.  For that matter, it might be effective to create an artie trailer instead.

I use a huge number of trailers in my AU; they can be dangerous as hell if your opponent doesn't suspect them, especially if they're on the defensive and use the hidden unit rule.  If you try to calculate their battle value, it isn't much more than the value of the weapons themselves, which means he isn't looking at one, he's looking at nearly a dozen against a heavy mech.

Gabriel

• General
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »

Red Pins mind is as smooth as a Swiss clock. That is what I like in my compatriots outside the box thinking. Now if we could just the politicans to think like that and not what they can do for themselves the world would run better.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »

Some very good points DM. Let me show you a first draft of what I'm calling the Farslayer. Before you start tearing her apart let me just say a few things. The main gun (Long Tom) is mounted in a turret because I'm trying to create a tank not a mobile artillery piece. Yes there are tanks without the turret and the tonnage saved could help the overall design but lets get passed that cause it is what I'm trying to do.

Code: [Select]
Farslayer class Heavy Assault Tank

Mass: 100 tons
Technology Base: InnerSphere Level 2
Crew: 7
Movement Type: Tracked

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 10
Engine: 300 Vlar Fusion 19
Cruising MP: 3
Flank MP: 5
Heat Sinks: 10 0
Control Equipment: 5
Turret: 3
Armor Factor: Ferro-Fibrous 296 16.5

Area Internal Structure Armor Value
Front 10 86
Right/Left Side 10 60/60
Rear 10 40
Turret 10 50

Weapons and Ammo: Location Mass
Long Tom Artillery Piece Turret 30
Ammo (Long Tom) 15 Body 3
Medium Laser Front 1
Medium Laser Right Side 1
Medium Laser Left Side 1
Small Laser Rear .5
CASE Body .5

Now your certainly right on attracting a lot of attention and such vehicles should be relatively fast or well armored. 3/5 isn't going to blow anyone away but it is good enough for its size IMO. You could improve it with a larger XL Engine but the availability of Fusion Engines on Vehicles is the reason why I'm sticking with them. So we go to armor which is 16.5 tons which wasn't good enough for me so I Ferro Fibroused away. Not too shabby but could be better I grant you. Also added was a CASE to increase crew survivability. The secondary energy weapons (3 Medium Lasers and a Small Laser) I choose to take advantage of the designs natural heat sinks and their tonnage friendly. Aside from using a Turreted Long Tom that is my other hang up - making those heat sinks from the engine do something. My concerns are do we have enough armor and enough ammo? Is 15 shots for the Long Tom enough or should we have more?

The smaller versions with Sniper and Thumper Artillery Pieces known as the Hellfire and Landsweeper will follow this big boy.

And just remember Red Pins we are using tech level 2 circa 3052 so certain stuff is unavailable. Although an amphibious artillery tank is very interesting...... ;)

Gabriel

• General
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »

True but you got to admit the amphibious artillery tank would definetly shake up the neighbors. Also DM doesn't tear things up he slices and dices like a ginsu knife. LMAO   :) :D

Hessian

• SD Developer
  • Kapten
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

I would guess that using such a weapon for close in combat (for which it was not designed) is rather difficult and therefore not  often successful. Therefore I would guess that successful close in attacks with such a weapon are not common, though if occasionally one succeeds the results are probably....impressive ;).

Essentially correct on all accounts. You wouldn't want the enemy to get too close but these tanks can sit 1 or more boards away providing excellent fire support to their Mech buddies. So you are changing the tanks to role from close in supporter or direct participant to a not too distant support asset. But don't Tanks work like this today firing far off shots at their enemies? What I'm asking I guess is what do you think a tank should be able to do??

Hmmm... good question. First and foremost in my view it should be able to confront other tanks with a decent chance of winning such an engagement. Furthermore it should be something a BattleMech Pilot should be wary of ignoring. And something PBI avoids without some support weapons(Support Lasers or Support PPC's).

Ciao
Hessian

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »

True but you got to admit the amphibious artillery tank would definetly shake up the neighbors. Also DM doesn't tear things up he slices and dices like a ginsu knife. LMAO   :) :D

I do?!

It looks like a solid tank Takiro. You're sacrificing speed for armor, which is the decision you'll need to make. The turret makes sense from a fluff perspective, and I'm always a fan of fluff based decisions (though I'm not a fan of canon design philosophy regarding fluff decisions, which doesn't spread the lemons out equally). 3 tons ammo is fine, because if it gets to direct fire range, it's not going to last 15 turns in all likelihood. Though to be fair, I'll admit I'm biased towards the Sniper as an arty weapon. The Long Tom is great, but the trade off in weight makes it difficult to mount well.

As for armor, look at it this way. You have far more armor than most other assault tanks at that time, save for perhaps the Alacorn or Sturmfeur. Canon tanks are notoriously underarmored (up until recently), so you'll be fine. It's going to be immobile quickly, but that's the advantage of the artillery. If it can do direct fire, great. If not, it can still indirect. I give it a thumbs up. If you want to make any change to it, the only one I would consider is swapping a ton of armor for another ton of ammo. I'm not saying you should definitely go that route, but just that it is the only type of change I could really see being useful. Even then, it's really only useful if you're using a lot of the alternate ammo types (Copperhead, smoke, FASCAM, etc). In a 3052 FedCom set up, a lot of those ammos aren't available.
The first one to use the term Dork Age loses.

Ronin

• Menig
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »

Interesting Idea. Artillery sure is a great way to deal with Clanners (and everyone else...) but making it the mainstay of the armor brigade of a RCT is, imo, a bad idea for two major reasons.

1) Artillery needs a lot of protection. Since artillery can be such a devastating weapon, it becomes a priority target, especially against the Clans, who see it as honorable and would probably react very fast and brutal to the large scale use of artillery. Therefore, a screening force is needed, that is able to deal with fast moving enemy forces, be it fast Mechs, VTOLs, Hovers or ASFs. When using FedCom RCT structures and the typical BT Universe mindset, the only reasonable way to form such a screening force is using (heavy) tanks.
If one would use Mechs for this, Mechs would become a supporting force to the conventional forces, since pretty much the whole Regiment would be needed to guard the much larger armor brigade.

2) Artillery is really messy. It's the least precise weapon in the inventory of any BT army and causes a lot of collateral damage. Unless the enemy is willing to only fight in open fields without anything valuable nearby, artillery can become pretty useless, if you want to take something like cities, factories or anything else in a semi-intact state.
Plus, if your own forces are engaged in "close" combat with the enemy, your armor becomes useless as well.

To conclude, artillery can be a very potent force, but it's one of those weapons, which are actually able to achieve overkill. Bring to much of it to a fight and it turns from a force multiplier into a liability.

Now, to answer what tanks should be able to do:
In my opinion, tanks should be able to perform all "lesser" tasks on the battlefield, to free up the Mechforces for the high profile (mobile) fighting. Stuff like: Providing artillery support, guarding the artillery, supporting Infantry forces in defending the ground taken by mechs, finishing off crippled enemies, etc.

Anyway, that's my 2cents worth...  :)

Gabriel

• General
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »

Yes You do DM  Ronin nice work
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up