OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Design Challenge From The Newbie  (Read 3062 times)

Skmartens

• Menig
Vehicle Design Challenge From The Newbie
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »

I currently play for the most part in the 3025 era so here is my challenge for you.

Design a level 1, 3025 era vehicle that meets the following criteria.

a) must be relatively cheap such that it is affordable by planetary militia forces (anyone who starts talking about the lack of realism in Battletech economics as a justification for giving me a hugely expensive beast is disqualified)

b) may utilize either an ICE or fusion engine but it must be an engine that can be readily justified based upon availability for the faction you are designing for and/or ease of which this engine can be obtained as refurbished battlefield salvage

c) must use a chassis size that is already in use by a pre-existing vehicle that is again readily available to your faction (i.e. a Steiner design could use the Hunter tank 35 ton chassis)

d) must adhere to your faction's biases/limitations with respect to weaponry in the 3025 era (i.e Marik has severe shortage of PPC's)

e) VTOL designs will only be considered as valid entries for Stenier or Davion factions.  Submarine entries will only be valid for Davion.

Have fun with this.  Maybe certian caste scientists will redeem themselves from a recent unacceptable Bronze medal!

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Vehicle Design Challenge From The Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »

are you looking at basic rules, tournament rules, or Advanced/Experimental rules?

For example could a fuel cell be used instead of a fusion or ICE or do you specifically want a Fusion or ICE unit
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Skmartens

• Menig
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »

If you can justify your faction having a ready supply of Fuel Cells in the 3025 era then go for it!

I will rank the submissions based upon: adherence to criteria, ability to justify/fluff your choices and adherences/deviations to/from criteria, and how much I like what you come up with.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »

Taking inspiration from XTRO Succession Wars a Fuel Cell version of the Maxim Hovertank APC this one armed with an autocannon.  Built for the Draconis Combine (same place as the J. Edgar in XTRO Succession Wars.  Same armour as the standard Maxim.

Modifications turn it more into an IFV than an APC with more machine guns and a three ton infantry compartment

Code: [Select]
Maxim Fuel Cell

Mass: 50 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Motive Type: Hovercraft
Rules Level: Advanced Rules
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-D-D
Production Year: 0
Cost: 1,904,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 667

Power Plant:  165 Fuel Cell Engine
Cruise Speed: 86.4 km/h
Flanking Speed: 129.6 km/h
Armor:  Arcshield V Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  Autocannon/5
    1  SRM-4
    1  Small Laser
    4  Machine Guns
    1  Infantry Compartment (3.0 tons)
Manufacturer: Scarborough Manufacturers
    Primary Factory: Al Na'ir
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                      25 points                5.00
Engine:             Fuel-Cell Engine             165                       7.50
    Cruise MP:  8
    Flank MP:   12
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             1                         0.00
Control Equipment:                                                         2.50
Lift Equipment:                                                            5.00
Turret:                                                                    1.50
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 120                  7.50

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     29       
                                          Left/Right   24/24       
                                              Turret     24       
                                                Rear     19       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat     Spaces     Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Machine Gun                                  LS        0         1         0.50
Machine Gun                                  RS        0         1         0.50
Small Laser                                  T         1         1         0.50
Autocannon/5                                 T         1         1         8.00
SRM-4                                        T         3         1         2.00
2 Machine Guns                               T         0         2         1.00
Infantry Compartment (3.0 tons)              BD        0         1         3.00
@AC/5 (20)                                   BD        -         0         1.00
@MG (200)                                    BD        -         0         1.00
@SRM-4 (25)                                  BD        -         0         1.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 7
8          3       2       1       0      2     0   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: EE

My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Centurion13

• Korporal
  • Homo Homini Lupus
    • The BattleTech Infantry Primer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »

I currently play for the most part in the 3025 era so here is my challenge for you.

a) must be relatively cheap

Relative to what?

b) may utilize either an ICE or fusion engine

There's a world of technological difference there.  Cheaper isn't necessarily better.

c) must use a chassis size that is already in use by a pre-existing vehicle that is again readily available to your faction (i.e. a Steiner design could use the Hunter tank 35 ton chassis)

Okay, so if Steiner doesn't happen to have any 45 ton tanks in 3025, I can't design one that size.  Correct?  But if I choose 35 tons, I can build what I want?

d) must adhere to your faction's biases/limitations with respect to weaponry in the 3025 era (i.e Marik has severe shortage of PPC's)

Would you please expand on that a bit?  What about the rest of the Houses, factions, etc?  I don't know where others stand on this, but the 'weapons flavor' of the various factions in 3025 is an absolute mystery to me.  I have actually read where someone thought a Davion 3025 design *had* to have an autocannon.  What is your take?

e) VTOL designs will only be considered as valid entries for Stenier or Davion factions.  Submarine entries will only be valid for Davion.

I have no idea why VTOLs would be limited to those two Houses - VTOLs have been around for at least a millenia.  But okay.

I'd like some additional parameters, if you don't mind.

(1) Mission profile.  What is this machine supposed to do? 

(2) Deployment profile.  Is it supposed to be sent out en masse or be a sort of Swiss Army knife with tracks?  Is it destined for rapid response? 

(3) Militia issue.  Okay.  Should it be easy to support logistically?  Easy to maintain?  How long between reloads, realistically?  What sort of terrain is it expected to deal with?  Should it be dirt simple for use by conscripts?  Or relatively complex to augment an all-volunteer force?

Anyway, sounds interesting.  I am just having a hard time getting my head around it with so few guidelines.

Cent13
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:00:44 PM by Centurion13 »

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

I have to agree, the vehicles depicted in 3026 were pretty much in general use even if the manufactures were in specific locations  so the tonnage and motive type limitations do not make a lick of sense.  as far as faction biases, that really is in the eye of the beholder.

anyway here goes.

The Wild Weasel was an attempt to create a cheap, easily buildable mobile harassment and anti aircraft platform for the Rim Commanlity world of Campolene.  the desert wilderness nessecitated that the wheeled chassis be out fitted with all terrain gear, since hovercraft construction was beyond the small cap manufacturing capacity.  for armaments the W/W as it is nicknamed is sparse.  a pair of extremely old fashioned Browning M2 machine guns provide forward anti infantry firepower, while a 20mm  autocannon is mounted in a surprisingly sophisticated robotic turret.  thanks to the extreme range of the weapon the 2 man crew can couple speed and it's four tons of armor for adequate protection.

Wild Weasels are deployed in 4 vehicle teams, with three vehicles loaded with flak ammunition and one with traditional DU rounds

Wild Weasel

Mass: 30 tons
Motive Type: Wheeled
Rules Level: Advanced Rules
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-D-D
Production Year: 0
Cost: 351,100 C-Bills
Battle Value: 315

Power Plant:  160 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 64.8 km/h
Flanking Speed: 97.2 km/h
Armor:  Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  Autocannon/2
    2  Machine Guns
Manufacturer:
    Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

Internal Structure: Standard                      15 points                3.00
Engine:             I.C.E. Engine                160                      12.00
    Cruise MP:  6
    Flank MP:   9
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             0                         0.00
Control Equipment:                                                         1.50
Lift Equipment:                                                            0.00
Turret:                                                                    1.00
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV -  64                  4.00

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     15       
                                          Left/Right   13/13       
                                              Turret     12       
                                                Rear     11       

2 Machine Guns                               FR        0         2         1.00
Autocannon/2                                 T         1         1         6.00
@MG (1/2) (100)                              BD        -         0         0.50
@AC/2 (45)                                   BD        -         0         1.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      2    Points: 3
6          1       1       1       0      1     0   Structure:  1

BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Skmartens

• Menig
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 05:49:40 PM »

a) must be relatively cheap

Relative to what?

We are talking about planetary militia so we are talking about a militia choosing to buy multiple of these vehicles instead of a battlemech of equal or slightly larger size.

b) may utilize either an ICE or fusion engine

There's a world of technological difference there.  Cheaper isn't necessarily better.

Yes this is true but there are cost effective fusion engines out there if you choose the right rating.

Okay, so if Steiner doesn't happen to have any 45 ton tanks in 3025, I can't design one that size.  Correct?  But if I choose 35 tons, I can build what I want?

If you chose 35 tons you could build a 35 ton tracked vehicle based upon the hunter chassis, but you can't make it into a wheeled or hover.

Would you please expand on that a bit?  What about the rest of the Houses, factions, etc?  I don't know where others stand on this, but the 'weapons flavor' of the various factions in 3025 is an absolute mystery to me.  I have actually read where someone thought a Davion 3025 design *had* to have an autocannon.  What is your take?

Davion is thought to be fond of autocannons but it is not a necessity.  An example of how you could use this would be to make use of weapons that are extremely common on other combat units of your chosen faction.  Take Dragon Cat's submission for example; Ac/5 found on the Dragon, SRM 4 found on the Panther and Jenner.

I have no idea why VTOLs would be limited to those two Houses - VTOLs have been around for at least a millenia.  But okay.

This is based upon the idea that in the original House, only Davion and Steiner were manufacturing VTOL's

I'd like some additional parameters, if you don't mind.

(1) Mission profile.  What is this machine supposed to do? 

(2) Deployment profile.  Is it supposed to be sent out en masse or be a sort of Swiss Army knife with tracks?  Is it destined for rapid response? 

(3) Militia issue.  Okay.  Should it be easy to support logistically?  Easy to maintain?  How long between reloads, realistically?  What sort of terrain is it expected to deal with?  Should it be dirt simple for use by conscripts?  Or relatively complex to augment an all-volunteer force?

Anyway, sounds interesting.  I am just having a hard time getting my head around it with so few guidelines.

Cent13

These are entirely your choices,I did not want to impose too many conditions and stifle the creative process

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »

a) must be relatively cheap such that it is affordable by planetary militia forces (anyone who starts talking about the lack of realism in Battletech economics as a justification for giving me a hugely expensive beast is disqualified)

b) may utilize either an ICE or fusion engine but it must be an engine that can be readily justified based upon availability for the faction you are designing for and/or ease of which this engine can be obtained as refurbished battlefield salvage

Have fun with this.  Maybe certian caste scientists will redeem themselves from a recent unacceptable Bronze medal!

Here's a candidate for you: borrowing chassis and engine from the Heavy Tracked APC, the Panzer Mk.Xc has a much smaller troop compartment, providing internal space for only a single squad, but with enough firepower to act as a light tank and a price tag that should make it welcome in Militia service.

Panzer Mk.Xc (APC)

Mass: 20 tons
Motive Type: Tracked
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-C-C
Production Year: 2768
Cost: 200,700 C-Bills
Battle Value: 289

Power Plant: Type 100 Internal Combustion
Cruise Speed: 54.0 km/h
Flanking Speed: 86.4 km/h
Armor:  Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  Defiance B3M Medium Laser
    1  Sperry Browning Machine Gun
    1  Infantry Compartment (1.0 tons)
Manufacturer: Bowie Industries
    Primary Factory: Carlisle
Communications System: TharHes Hm 10
Targeting and Tracking System: TharHes Alpha-2a

Internal Structure: Standard                      10 points                2.00
Engine:             I.C.E. Engine                100                       6.00
    Cruise MP:  5
    Flank MP:   8
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             3                         3.00
Control Equipment:                                                         1.00
Lift Equipment:                                                            0.00
Power Amplifiers:                                                          0.50
Turret:                                                                    0.50
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV -  64                  4.00

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     18       
                                          Left/Right   13/13       
                                              Turret     12       
                                                Rear     8         

Medium Laser                                 T         3         1         1.00
Machine Gun                                  T         0         1         0.50
Infantry Compartment (1.0 tons)              BD        0         1         1.00
@MG (1/2) (100)                              BD        -         0         0.50

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      2    Points: 3
5          1       1       0       0      1     0   Structure:  1

Skmartens

• Menig
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:06:20 AM »

Since Drakensis came up with one inspired from the Heavy Tracked APC, I thought I would post one here I came up with long ago that is based upon the Heavy Wheeled APC.  This is the Ferret Armoured Car mentioned in the post for the Codart's Chasseurs merc unit.  For 10% more money than your bread and butter FWL Galleon, you get more mobility, more firepower, more armor, and the ability to carry a full platoon of foot infantry

Ferret Armored Car
20 tons  IS Introductory Box Set

Movement: 7/11 (Wheeled)
Engine: 120 Fusion

Internal: 10
Armor: 72
FR:   2    19
RS:   2    14
LS:   2    14
RR:   2    11
TU:   2    14

Medium Laser  [TU] 3 Heat