OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some tactical thoughts from the Blue Water Navy for the Black Water one  (Read 4004 times)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion

I was hearing a podcast in French about a book that I read some months ago entitled Winning at sea in the 21st century, Tactics in the 5th age of naval combat, the first of a serie of 3, when I thought could this work in BattleTech and for a Black Water Navy.

You can find it on Amazon but it is in French only, the title being Vaincre en mer au XXIe siècle.

I will take my time to post summaries here and try to see if it can be of any use.

And remember I am no space man.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Some tactical thoughts from the Blue Water Navy for the Black Water one
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 03:47:07 PM »

First the summary;
After decades of apparent calm, the hypothesis of naval combat is once again plausible. If the twentieth century ended with the undivided domination of Western naval power, the twenty-first is opening with a challenge to old balances, particularly in the "common spaces" of which the sea is a part. Rivalry between naval forces, once thought to be a thing of the past, is making a comeback, raising a host of questions about how to assert oneself at sea... This book fills a gap: there is no historical or prospective synthesis on naval forces in combat. And yet, the need for reflection in this field has never been so pressing, so vital... This is the task that two naval officers set themselves in Vaincre en mer au XXIième siècle. Invoking numerous episodes often forgotten, they unravel the invariants and inflections of war at sea, analyze the conditions of victory and make naval history thrilling. They also identify a fifth age of naval conflictuality, more lethal, rapid and technological, in which the will, courage and intelligence of man will be more than ever the key to success. An age that succeeds, but does not totally erase, the ages of sail, cannon, airplane and missile... This book of general naval tactics for the general public is a sea-spray-filled immersion into the heart of the naval battles that lie ahead, in the light of historic confrontations whose lessons are astonishingly relevant today.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5
Pages: [1]   Go Up