OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doctrine for the Clans  (Read 12474 times)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Doctrine for the Clans
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 03:45:41 PM »

*shrugs* You asked about doctrine and I gave the best answer I could.  If you'd have stipulated about the naval approach then it might have helped :p

Doctrine is about how an army fight war.
Navy was not off limits and is perhaps one way to solve the population diltiazem (but not the only one).

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »

I prefer the word military rather than army there Ice as your military includes naval forces but you could even take it a step further and say national. Honestly it is difficult to imagine the everyday capabilities of an interstellar power given our 21st century earthbound reality. Who knows what tactical and strategic concepts could work given BattleTech's fusion power, interplanetary travel, interstellar communications, etc.(insert future innovation here).

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »

I prefer the word military rather than army there Ice as your military includes naval forces

My bad. I meant military but I made a short cut between armed forces and army (not nice for all the other arms).

marauder648

• Generalmajor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 02:55:48 AM »

Oh there is naval doctrine, but as this was the Clans we're talking about, I would have assumed that it was ground force focused and thus went for a ground focus.

Your idea sounds like turning the Clans military into the USMC.  Large, mobile forces capable of bringing lots of firepower to a place at incredibly short notice, deplyoing from ships or helecopters.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »

Oh there is naval doctrine, but as this was the Clans we're talking about, I would have assumed that it was ground force focused and thus went for a ground focus.

Your idea sounds like turning the Clans military into the USMC.  Large, mobile forces capable of bringing lots of firepower to a place at incredibly short notice, deplyoing from ships or helecopters.

Well 'large' is a problem cause no matter how you slice it 'the Clans' are not going to be a 'large force' or rather big enough to take and hold the InnerSphere in a traditional sense. Taking heavily populated worlds and assimilating their people requires an enormous resource commitment that no matter the SLDF in Exodus growth rate is gonna be impossible and like the Vikings of old they seem to be destined to fade into those they would conquer.

Establishing 'naval supremacy' however is an intriguing concept which could serve as a force multiplier isolating a numerically superior foe and in my scenario 'lording over them'.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »

Well 'large' is a problem cause no matter how you slice it 'the Clans' are not going to be a 'large force' or rather big enough to take and hold the InnerSphere in a traditional sense. Taking heavily populated worlds and assimilating their people requires an enormous resource commitment that no matter the SLDF in Exodus growth rate is gonna be impossible and like the Vikings of old they seem to be destined to fade into those they would conquer.

This is why I thought they were going the wrong way the whole time.
I think their ultimate objective is to make the Star League once again but to do this I think you need to get the Hegemony back.

This should be their objectives.

What do you think?

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »

But this is a way to win every battle but without long-term objective, which would allow the Clans to turn a series of battles into something coherent and in a strategical victory.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »

What about just Terra? The Hegemony to be frank is a pile of smoking rubble. A collection of badly damaged border worlds traded time and again by the Houses but taking out Terra gives you a real shot at controlling the InnerSphere through the HPG network. Not easy taking out ComStar at any time but possible if you show up on their door step. Avoiding the Houses is another matter.

A fleet as large as you would need just to seize Terra is likely to be discovered as it is headed towards humanity's core worlds. Once alerted ComStar will hire mercenaries and mobilize its assets which will make the operation more difficult. Then you have to take it and hold it far from your home base as the Houses just won't sit for your conquest and control of the HPGs.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »

What about just Terra? 

Wouldn't be a bit too limited? This is perhaps a bit too headhunting for me as it would not bring any decisive advantage on the long run as it is too narrow and lonely to allow for a real foothold.

A fleet as large as you would need just to seize Terra is likely to be discovered as it is headed towards humanity's core worlds.

That was one question I asked myself. Is it possible to reach Terra undetected? Or in other words, how far could one fleet go from the Clan Worlds towards Terra while avoiding detection? This is of course a pure theoretical question as it is more than likely that something would go wrong along the way.

Bradshaw

• General
  • Expect it most when you expect it least
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »

I would think it would be rather simple. space is endless and ranges of sensors at most seem to be a few AU. At most telescopes might see flashes of light if thats a thing with jumps, but would be impossible to track anyone down.
NEVER trust a man who scratches his chin

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »

I don't think Terra is too limited a conquest Ice. Especially if your looking to control communications across the InnerSphere which would be a goal. Another objective in seizing control naval is establishing supremacy throughout space which is done by targeting jumpships. Without a working HPG network and jumpships to carry messages how would the House Lords maintain control of their interstellar realms?

Is it possible to reach Terra undetected? Yes but it makes for one hell of a boring story. ;D I guess it depends on the timing of such an attack and the size of your fleet, which would need to be large in order to accomplish this task. Theoretically anything is possible with several historical surprise attacks achieving varying degrees of success. Unlike Pearl Harbor, as one example, your not just trying to raid a target or destroy an objective but conquer it. Here are some other historic examples;

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2016/12/07/didnt-see-it-coming-nine-of-military-historys-most-amazing-surprise-attacks/

Your forgetting Murphy's Law "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." Space is endless and so are the possibilities for this during such an operation Bradshaw. From a misjump among one of the ships in your fleet to accidentally running into a variety of vessels (traders, transports, etc.) as you journey deeper into the core of the InnerSphere. Keeping ComStar in the dark is especially difficult as they would be your targeting in this operation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up