OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Scorpio Ascendant  (Read 45835 times)

masterarminas

• General
Re: Scorpio Ascendant
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

CGSS Serket, High Orbit
Rasalhague, Clan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone
October 28, 3043

“I do not know what are going to do with Nelson,” Nikolai said as he and Randall waited for the HPG connection to be made.  “I did not send him out there to shoot down Ronald Madsen!”

Randal Posavatz shook his head with a grin on his face as the Khan of the Goliath Scorpions’ newest aide cleared his throat.  “You should promote him to Galaxy Commander, my Khan,” Jason Scott said.  “He served you—and the Clan—well on Rondane.”

“Remind me why I appointed him as my aide, Randall?”

“Something about you needed someone to keep telling you that you are only mortal and can make mistakes just like everyone else.”

“Yes, now I remember,” Nikolai said sourly.  “Star Captain Scott, he killed Galaxy Commander Madsen in cold blood without a Trial—I cannot reward him!”

“Of course you can, my Khan,” Jason answered.  “Remember how Mikhail Kirov became Khan?  Gregor Lunde was a threat to our Clan’s continued survival—and so was Ronald Madsen.  And I have heard certain . . . rumors concerning you and Angela Tazegul.  Rumors of events within the Temple of the Nine Muses before her death during your Trial.”

Nikolai frowned, but his saKhan only burst out laughing.  “He is right, Nikolai.  Nelson Elam saved our relations with the Bears and right now the rumors that I am hearing from Rondane seem to indicate that he may well be elected to Galaxy Commander if you do not put forward a candidate soon.”

“And the other Khans will take my rewarding him as proof that we are edging away from the True Clan Way.”

“My Khan, they already believe that,” commented Jason.  “We Scorpions are seen as different—because we are.  We learn philosophy and history and literature and we ask questions that no proper Warrior of the Clans of Kerensky should ask.  We take a pragmatic view on things—such as the interrogation of a Warrior who has long been apart from the Clans and may be a spy for our enemies.  The other Khans need no additional reason to dislike us . . . but at this moment, when it was your warnings those Khans disregarded about their own defenses in Chainelaine, they cannot touch you in the kurultai without appearing as hypocrites of the highest order.  And do not forget, you have your own backers, especially Khan Tseng who owes her factories and supply depots continued existence to you and the actions of Star Colonel Elam.”

Jason grinned.  “And should the worst come to pass, we will soon have four full Galaxies—seventeen Clusters—here in the Inner Sphere and Chainelaine.  That is, I believe, as many as the Primary Clans in this Invasion possesses.  Once Epsilon arrives on Rondane, you already have the ilKhan’s command to bring forward Delta, whether Norman Rood or Perigard Zalman or Brandon Howell take umbrage at that or not.  And since we Scorpions are hitting no worlds in Wave III, and the Bears but four worlds, our Clusters will be at full strength and well-rested if some Khan wishes to challenge you.”

Nikolai frowned and he shook his head, before turning to Randall.  “You are enjoying this, quiaff?”

“Aff.  I am outclassed by your wit and your foresight and your ruthlessness, my Khan—always have been.  It is worth two full Clusters of OmniMechs to see that you have a rival in those departments amongst the next generation of Warriors to come.  You know, he is much like you in your youth!”

“Please!  I was never so . . . arrogant.”

“Says the Khan who strapped the Clan’s Loremaster to a table and chemically interrogated her,” Randall laughed.  “You did not hear that Jason Scott.”

The young man bowed.  “Hear what, my saKhan?”

“See?” Randall beamed.  “Just like you—and you deserve it.”

Jason cleared his throat.  “The connection is being made, my Khan.”

Nikolai took in a deep breath and he nodded.  The lights in the compartment dimmed and the holographic projector activated; one-by-one the holograms of his fellow Khans shimmered into existence.

“I shall waste no time,” Yvonne said.  “Wave III starts in four days—have we sufficient supplies of munitions and spare parts to carry on?”

Ulric nodded.  “Barely, my Khan—if those Clans who were not hit quite so hard in Chainelaine share some of their stockpiles.  But our reserve has vanished.”

“Agreed,” said Brandon Howell.  “The 17th Jaguar Regulars were unable to prevent all loses, but they preserved enough supplies that we should be able to complete Wave III on schedule—we will need to rebuilt and repair those facilities before Wave IV, however.  I cannot speak for the worst hit Clans, however—the Vipers and Hellions, the Mandrills and Spirits who each share a corridor; they lost virtually all of their stockpiles.”  Howell paused and he shook his head.  “And before anyone else can rub salt into our wounds, Khan Djerassi—you were right, we should have stationed a larger and more robust garrison on our depot worlds.  That oversight by my predecessor—which I concurred with at the time—is now being corrected!”

Nikolai nodded his head.  “I devoutly wish that I had been wrong, Khan Howell.  My Scorpions have ample supplies—if the Jaguars, Spirits, or Mandrills have need of them, I can make good their losses for Wave III.  Wave IV might be . . . problematic.”

Many Khans looked surprised; most had expected Nikolai to hold over their heads his warnings—but his calm demeanor and reasoned response only underscored the fact that he had been right, and they had been wrong.

“And you can spare nothing for the Vipers and Hellions!” screamed Norman Rood.  “You would wreck the Invasion by denying us our rightful supplies!”

“Khan Rood,” Nikolai said calmly, “the Jaguars, Spirits and Mandrills are closer to my worlds than either the Ice Hellions or the Steel Vipers.  You have the Falcons and Sharks, the Horses and Ravens in much greater proximity than my Clan.”  And then Nikolai smiled.  “And I cannot say that I am sorry we in an adjoining corridor; after all, if I must give up my supplies for the good of the Invasion, I would prefer to see them used for some gain and wasted on not foolish loses inspired by your own haughty sense of honor and entitlement.”

Norman Rood’s face drained of blood until he appeared as white as a ghost, and he began to snarl his furious outrage . . . until another voice cut him off.

“ENOUGH!” thundered Yvonne, and while she managed to hold onto her stern expression, Nikolai could see she was struggling to contain the laughter.

“If it is fighting that you desire, all of you can find it on your own front-lines!  We have enemies enough surrounding us; we do not need to fight each other here in this Council as well!”

Yvonne paused and she looked—glared—at each and every Khan in turn.  No one challenged her and she finally nodded.  “In absolute terms, we did not lose that much in supplies—the majority of the factories destroyed were small in output and mostly devoted to munitions and spare parts.  I believe that the more . . . extensive facilities emplaced by the Scorpions and Sharks can take up the slack—and our OmniMech production was not touched.  Still, this serves as a warning that we cannot rely on the Inner Sphere to remain on the defensive.  Even though the ratio of casualties remained heavily tilted in our favor, we cannot allow our opponents the opportunity to deliver a catastrophic blow in the future.”

Each Khan nodded.  “For the moment, I am ordering the Falcons, Scorpions, and Ravens to move at least one WarShip into orbit above every one of our worlds in the Isles.  Khan Djerassi . . . I was informed that your Striking Claw Naval Star was not present during the attack.  If it is not a Clan secret, where exactly were your WarShips?”

Nikolai smiled.  “As the command circuit is not yet completed, ilKhan, I sent them to ferry Epsilon Galaxy from the current endpoints to Rondane—the timing was . . . not exactly fortuitous.  They will be back on station in two weeks time.”

Yvonne nodded.  “See that they are.  I understand as well that your Fire Wheel Transport Star just arrived back in the Pentagon and will be making another delivery of your civilians to Rondane; is this true?”

“Aff, ilKhan Hazen.”

“With fifty docking collars, I want those ships ferrying additional combat forces instead of civilians.  Those two ships can carry two Galaxies and their supplies—the Jaguars and the Horse’s each have a front-line Galaxy waiting for transport in the Pentagon.”

Nikolai winced, but he nodded.  “I will make the arrangements, ilKhan.”

“Thank you, Khan Djerassi.  And I shall expect the remaining Khans to comply with my requests in support of this Invasion just as graciously . . . unless someone wishes to demand a Trial of Refusal?”

No one spoke.

“We launch Wave III in four days—make certain we are not surprised this time around.  We are adjourned.”

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2012, 03:22:55 AM »

It will be interesting to see what the Scorpions want in exchange for so much shipping and hardware?
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »

CGSS Serket, High Orbit
Rasalhague, Clan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone
October 31, 3043

The blue-white orb of Tukayyid rotated slowly in the holographic projection.  saKhan Randall Posavatz shook his head sorrowfully as he gazed at the orb.  “That is Wave V, Nikolai—and in the Wolf Zone.  Yvonne has already ruled out trying to leap ahead and hit them now.”

Nikolai nodded his agreement.  “Yes, she has.  Consider this, however:  at the conclusion of Wave III, we will be just three jumps away from Tukayyid—and we will have, as Star Captain Scott said just a few days ago, four full Galaxies with seventeen Clusters at our disposal—well rested and unharmed from Wave III operations.”

Randall frowned.  “That is if we leave Rondane virtually defenseless, Nikolai.”

“We have four Garrison clusters on Rondane, Randall—there comes a time in War when one must take calculated risks.  I doubt that the Inner Sphere will throw another twenty Regiments against the Isles; Jaime Wolf will believe that we reinforced those worlds heavily . . . which is what he wants us to do.”  The Scorpion Khan ran his fingers through his hair and sighed.  “We do not have enough Warriors to garrison all of our worlds in strength, saKhan Posavatz.  And this Supreme Commander knows it.  I am coming to believe that this raid on the Isles was done to force us to station more troops there, where they will play no part in the key battles yet to come.”

“That may well be, but against what the Black Widow reported this Grand Army has?  Seventeen Clusters will die a quick death, my Khan.  We are speaking of two-thirds of our entire touman.”

“I do not believe her,” Nikolai said quietly.  “Wolf is there, but not in the numbers she claimed.  I know it deep within my bones, Randall.  And it will be with no seventeen Clusters that we carry off this attack.”  He punched a button and additional icons began to appear on the holographic display.

“Amanda has agreed to this?” the saKhan asked in surprise.

“IF, the ilKhan approves the operation, and IF the Sharks and Falcons commit their reserve Galaxy in support.”

“Still, even with those forces, that is just another twenty-one Clusters—five Falcon, four Shark, and twelve Bear.  Thirty-eight Clusters in total on our side versus an unknown number of hostiles.  Let us say that Natasha lied and doubled the number available to this Grand Army—we will be facing fifty regiments of ‘Mechs, plus supporting forces.  The numbers alone are adverse in the extreme.”

“Plus the Ebon Keshik—if we commit to this, I cannot see Yvonne standing on the sideline.”  And Nikolai smiled.  “Jake and Marion will commit forces as well; their own plus those of the Ravens and Cobras.  Pavel Kerensky will give us at least two Clusters, and Khan West has already agreed—in confidence—to add two more of his own; IF Yvonne approves.  The Mandrills have not the numbers to add to our forces—and Howell’s Jaguars will be hard pressed until their next Galaxy arrives . . . too late for this operation.  And frankly, I think our chances of success are better without the Vipers and Hellions than with them.”

Randall snorted his agreement.

“But . . . Khan McFadden has an entire Galaxy scheduled to arrive on November 2nd—and he is very interested in being a part of the force that breaks this Grand Army.”

“Eighteen more; fifty-six Clusters—which gives us the advantage in units, but still leaves us outnumbered once we factor in their armor and infantry support,” the junior Khan mused.  “What about Ulric?  Have you spoken to him?”

“And risk Natasha finding out?  When she may be spying on us for her master of so many years?  Neg.  If we do this, he has to be informed at the last minute—which will limit his contribution.”

Randall nodded his agreement. 

“Fifty-six Clusters, plus what the Wolves can throw together on a short notice—say one Galaxy—for a total of sixty.  Khan Djerassi, we have already seen what the Inner Sphere is capable of on the defensive; it will not be enough to guarantee victory.  Not against fifty of their finest Regiments.”

“Or will it, saKhan Posavatz?” Nikolai asked.  “So far, we have danced to Jaime Wolf’s tune—we have played his game.  He anticipated where our attack was coming and the worlds we hit have had years to build their fortifications.  But Tukayyid?  If I am judging our opponent correctly, Tukayyid is not meant to serve as a battleground—it is his staging and training area.  I am willing to wager the entire Invasion that world is not as heavily fortified.  Oh, there will be local defenses, I am certain, but not the extensive defensive works we have so far seen—and will see more of in Wave III.”

Nikolai circled the floating globe.  “No,” he said shaking his head.  “Wolf’s Grand Army is an offensive unit—not defensive.  And if we allow him to launch his attack without disruption, it will stop the Invasion for years, if he doesn’t shatter us all and force us to withdraw to Chainelaine.”

The saKhan sighed and he nodded his agreement.  “Yvonne will never agree; it is too much the gamble, Nikolai,” he whispered.

“Every Khan is a skilled gambler, Randall—you know that.  And while Yvonne Hazen is cautious, she is also a Falcon; one to whom this type of spoiling attack is greatly appealing.  But we will have to approach her correctly—and make her believe that this will neutralize the Grand Army.  And we play to her hubris; as ilKhan she will command sixty Clusters on the field of battle; she will not just coordinate the Clans, but will have to serve as our Supreme Commander, our War Leader..  If she does this and is successful, her legacy will be prized alongside that of Elizabth Hazen hereself.  The Scientists have yet to breed pride and hubris away from us, Randall.  We remain human, after all.”

“And their WarShips?” Randall laughed, “Not that I believe they have fifty at Tukayyid—but they will have some.”

“And we have our own.  “Peter McKenna has agreed to command our combined Naval forces from the bridge of CRS James McKenna—and CGSS Requiem will be there beside her.”

“That will require reshuffling of our naval assets, my Khan.  Yvonne has already ordered a WarShip in orbit of every world in the Isles.”

“We cannot be strong everywhere, Randall.  We must be strong at the point of decision,” Nikolai gestured towards the floating orb as it slowly turned in place.  “This world is our point of decision.”

"Seyla," whispered Randall.

And the Khan of Clan Goliath Scorpion nodded his agreement.  "Seyla, indeed."

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »

Here is Blacknova's gorgeous map of Wave III.  Enjoy!  By this stage of the Invasion (around Christmas, just five months after the start of operations, the Clans have taken 62 Lyran Worlds, 58 Rasalhague Worlds, 43 Kurita Worlds, 10 Chainelaine Worlds, and 23 Periphery Worlds:  193 worlds in all.

MA
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:00:00 PM by masterarminas »

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »

Ducal Palace, Bueller
Robinson, Federated Suns
October 31, 3043

James Sandoval hovered over the map, as his most loyal Colonels of the 1st and 2nd Robinson Rangers and the 2nd New Ivaarsen Chasseurs waited stoicly for his commands; in addition, several lesser commanders, and the Colonel of the Draconis March Militia, along with five mercenary commanders stood alongside.

“Has this been confirmed?” the newly crowned Duke of Robinson asked.

“Yes, my Lord.  Theodore Kurita has pulled the majority of the Galedon and Dieron Regulars from the border—a merchantman who engages in cross-border trading travelled to Marduk himself . . . they have only the planetary militia left there and a single battalion of cadets from the 5th Sun Zhang Training Cadre.”

“Well, well, well,” James whispered.  “Perhaps these Clans are good for something after all, eh, gentlemen?”

Chuckles went around the room and James stood and stretched.  “There is no time like the present—General Vehrson . . . are my Rangers prepared for operations off-world?”

“They are indeed, your Grace,” answered Eric Vehrson.

“Then to hell with Hanse Davion and what he has ordered—go, General.  Reclaim Marduk, McComb, and Royal for the Lion of Robinson.  The rest of you will prepare to receive any counterattack that Kurita sends against us—if he proves too weak to defend himself against us and these Clans at the same time, we will start a general offensive to seize all the worlds we have lost to the Snakes in the past!  Gentlemen.  This is our time!  Now, New Avalon will follow our lead!”

James received the applause of his officers humbly and then he motioned them to the door.  He drew in a deep breath and sat down at his desk—the desk that until recently had been his father Aaron’s.  Drawing a stylus, he licked the tip and began to write graceful letters upon an old-fashion sheet of parchment.

Dear Hanse, he wrote.  Today, I have done what you should have done.  Today, I have launched an invasion of the Draconis Combine.  They are our enemy, not these so-called Clans who claw away at your wife’s realm.  By the time you receive this message, it shall be too late for you to stop me—my Regiments will accomplish what so many generations of Davions have failed to do.  I will end the threat posed to the Federated Suns by the Draconis Combine—and you, dear Hanse, will be a spectator to my victory.

James signed it with a flourish and he folded it carefully and sealed it within a parchment envelope, dipping his Ducal seal in wax before pressing down upon the flap.

“Take this to the JumpShip, Leonard,” he ordered his major-domo, “and tell Captain Cassidy he need not hurry to make the delivery.”

And with that, the Lion of Robinson sat back and he smiled as he stared at a map of all of the worlds he would liberate from Kurita rule.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »

ComStar First Circuit
Hilton Head, Terra
October 31, 3043

Michael York frowned as he restarted the video.  On the screen, the image of Duke James Sandoval, the leader of the Draconis March in the Federated Suns appeared—his face grave and somber.

“Citizens of the Federated Suns.  Today, I come before you with news that we are once again at engaged in military operations.  Now, this is not news, I am certain many of you will say.  You are well aware of the sacrifices made by brave men and women of the Federated Suns; sacrifices made to defend foreign soil from a group of invaders that do not threaten our realm.  I do not deny their bravery and their courage, to lay down their lives so far from home, to defend the realm of the wife of the First Prince.  After all, the Lyrans need our soldiers to defend their homes—they have been nothing but a failure at military arms for centuries.”

“Whereas we, the citizens of the Federated Suns, we have taken warfare to heart and our Regiments outmatch any other in existence today.  I do not question the need for the First Prince to bleed away our treasure and our men in order to preserve a small portion of his wife’s realm—but in the process of preparing for this attack, Hanse Davion has neglected our border with the Draconis Combine.”

“Have you forgotten how throughout history the House of Kurita has made their goal the subjugation and conquest of the Federated Suns?  Have you forgotten how they drove to the gates of New Avalon in the First Succession War?  Have you forgotten Kentares?  Have you forgotten how the Snakes pursued Wolf’s Dragoons relentlessly and only the superior skills of those mercenaries saved them from annihilation?”

“Have you forgotten that even today, there are worlds on their side of our border with men and women who were born citizens of the Federated Suns and now languish under the dictatorship of the Kuritas?”

“I have not forgotten, and I am certain that many of you remember as well.”

“Prince Davion has forgotten, it seems.  He ignores the threat posed to us by the House of Kurita.  He draws forces of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns from our borders, leaving us defenseless before their ambition for conquest.  He has sent the cream of our fighting men and women into a foreign land to defend worlds which we have interest in.”

“I have heard the briefs from the First Prince of the Federated Suns.  I have heard the arguments that the Combine must stand so to divert the Clan’s strength; it must serve as a buffer zone between us and the Clans who are coming.  I have listened, I have heard, and I have read.”

“But one question gnaws at me, fellow citizens.  What happens if the Combine, if the House of Kurita collapses under the strain?”

“My briefs show that they are losing regiments like chaff before the fire!  Pesht is threatened by these invaders—and soon enough Luthien itself will be.  They cannot hold; they have not the strength to hold for much longer.”

“Accordingly, I cannot and I will not leave men and women who were born under the Sword and the Sun to languish any further under the tender affections of the ISF and become in some short time the property of these Clans.  I move now, with all of the forces available to me, so that I can liberate Federated Suns worlds conquered by the Snakes in the past, and to establish defensible lines where we in the Federated Suns can contest the Clans, if they come so far.  The Clans will be stopped—they will be stopped by the gallant and courageous soldiers of our own Federated Suns Regimental Combat Teams.  They will be stopped because we as a free people took a stand and drew a line.  And our citizens, those who were born with the full rights and liberties of any of you, will once again be free.”

“My forces will encounter little opposition—the Snakes are too strained to stop us.  I do not expect that this . . . police action to preserve the peace will be opposed by the House of Kurita, but if they choose to do so, our soldiers will prevail.  We will recover all of our worlds, and all of our people.”

“I am James Sandoval, the Duke of Robinson, and the commander of the Draconis March.  And tonight I ask that you pray for the troops of the Federated Suns who are travelling into harm’s way against the Snakes, as well as those on such distant soil fighting the Clans.”

He froze the image.  “When did this go out?” the Primus of ComStar asked.

“Demi-Precentor Robinson sent it directly to us.  It is being broadcast on Robinson and other key worlds throughout the Draconis March—but not in the Crucis or Capellan Marches,” answered Charles Seneca.

“This could be a problem,” Michael mused.

Charles snorted.  “One could say that.”

“Our assets on Robinson?”

“ROM?  No, Primus.  The Robinson detachment was . . . committed to the philosophy of the prior administration—I had to purge all of them, and replacing them has been a low priority to this point.”

“Pity,” Michael sighed.  “James Sandoval certainly deserves a bullet for this.  Well, if we have no assets in place, perhaps the MIIO might.  Forward this immediately to New Avalon—priority transmission.  Waive the fees.”

Charles raised one eyebrow.  “You might cause the Fox to have a heart attack, Primus.  I mean ROM cooperating with the MIIO?”

“Perhaps Waterly should have tried that if she wished him dead—everything else she did failed, after all.”

“Shall I send a copy to Luthien as well?” asked Charles.

Michael sat down in his seat and he lifted a pen.  “No.  But inform First Prince Davion I will set up a real time HPG link between New Avalon and Luthien so that he can explain this to Takashi Kurita—and I will once again waive the costs involved.  Now, I have reams of paperwork, Charles.  Get that transmitted immediately, along with my offer to the Fox.”

“Of course, Primus,” Charles said with a bow.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »

Not sure I buy James Sandoval at this time being so anti-FedCom. He was a team player through the 3050s and seemed to change after the breakup of the FedCom. Else wise very good. Especially enjoyed the by play with Primus York and Precentor ROM.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »

Not sure I buy James Sandoval at this time being so anti-FedCom. He was a team player through the 3050s and seemed to change after the breakup of the FedCom. Else wise very good. Especially enjoyed the by play with Primus York and Precentor ROM.

Part of that was probably because of the War of 3039, Takiro.  In canon, Hanse did try to cut off the Dragon at his knees, which has always been the itch that the Sandovals couldn't scratch.  In this AU, the operation got cancelled.  It broke Aaron's heart, and he withered away and died, and left a very frustrated son (James) ruling the DM.  He is (probably) still in 4th Succession War mode:  Hanse tore apart the CapCom, but his March lost worlds to the Snakes.  Without 3039 to show the Dragon isn't a pushover, he quite possibly thinks that one hard shove might push them over the edge, especially since they can't divert forces from the Clan front. 

Wings of the butterfly and all.

Master Arminas

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »

The Fox’s Den, Palace of the First Prince, Avalon City
New Avalon, Federated Suns
October 31, 3043

“That idiot did WHAT?” bellowed Hanse Davion as he came out of his chair.

“He has launched an invasion of the Draconis Combine,” Quintus Allard said quietly.  “I have sent instructions to the MIIO on Robinson to investigate this immediately—I have no idea how he managed to pull this off.”

“Wait, if MIIO didn’t know, then how do we have this information?” asked Hanse.

Quintus winced.  “ComStar forwarded a video broadcast James is playing on several worlds in the March to New Avalon—at no charge.  Primus York is willing to set up a real-time link between New Avalon and Luthien as well, at no charge.”

Hanse sat back in his chair and he looked stunned for a moment.  Finally he nodded.  “It is a different world, Quintus.  Now how do we stop this?”

“We can’t,” the Intelligence Minister said quietly.  “His troops are already in motion:  the 1st Rangers are heading for Marduk, the 2nd Rangers for Royal, and the 2nd Ivaarsen Chasseurs for McComb.”

“Where did he get the ships?”

“That I can answer—he didn’t.”

“Go on.”

“He has a single battalion combat-loaded; the rest of those units are crammed into a Mammoth as cargo and passengers.  He pressed three Merchants into service from companies his family owns—and that was sufficient for his needs.”

“Is James Sandoval insane?  Those regiments will cut to pieces if Takashi has anything on the surface—it will take the better part of a day to unload the bulk of those units!”

“Perhaps not, because those worlds are barren of defenders.  Just a few battalions of militia and some training cadre on Marduk—the sole combat loaded battalion can deal with those until the rest of the regiments off-load.”

Hanse groaned and Quintus began to reach for the panic button, but the First Prince waved his hand.  “No, it’s not that, Quintus.  Takashi informed me last week that Marduk was going to serve as the test grounds for a piece of equipment—he didn’t want to provoke me by sending it without a warning.”

“A new piece of equipment?”

Hanse smiled a grim smile.  “An old piece of equipment, actually.  Are you familiar with the Togura?”

Quintus frowned, and then he blanched.  “They didn’t?”

Hanse nodded.  “I have no idea how effective she will be, but somehow, Takashi and Theodore got her operational again—probably with ComStar help.”

“She’s an inoperable museum ship!”

“Well, museum or no, Takashi told me she was undergoing weapons trials in the Marduk system before she reports to Luthien.”

“Christ, the Rangers won’t stand a chance.”

Hanse nodded.  “And speaking of which, I need to use that link to inform Takashi of what my idiot March commander has done—in the meantime, I want you to get the 1st Guards, the 2nd Guards, and the Assault Guards mobilized for deployment.  They can accompany me to Robinson, along with the 4th Crucis Lancers.  It is past time that James Sandoval and I had a talk face-to-face.”

Hanse stood.  “Get cracking, Quintus.  I want to lift immediately after Takashi finishes yelling at me,” the First Prince of the Federated Suns chuckled.  “At least the shit rolls downhill, because James is about to get fully coated in it.”

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »

White Palace Press Release—November 8, 3043
Union of Federated Press (UFP) Release for General Publication
(UFP) Filed by Leslie Newman, accredited journalist, New Avalon.

At the White Palace today, Intelligence Minister treated the press corps to Quintus Allard treated the press corps to a very rare briefing session.

Three items were discussed with significant ramifications for the Federated Suns in the years to come.

First, the Minister informed us that First Prince Hanse Davion has officially created the Periphery Marches (see attached map file below) and elevated that oftentimes insecure and insular section of the Federated Suns to an equal footing with the Crucis, Capellan, and Draconis Marches.  Minister Allard was also pleased to report that Duke James Sandoval, the Duke of Robinson and commander of the Draconis March, asked the First Prince for a less stressful assignment and will be named as the Duke of Broken Wheel and commander of the Periphery March.  Duke Sandoval has made no comment, but his office on Robinson has confirmed the report citing health concerns on behalf of his Grace.

The second piece of information was an explanation of the loss of the entire 1st Robinson Rangers Regimental Combat Team.  On maneuvers in the Draconis March, the 1st Rangers JumpShip suffered a mis-jump from which there were no survivors.  Minister Allard offered his and the First Princes condolences to the families of the victims and then the Intelligence Minister offered his views on how the tragedy occurred.

“The JumpShip in question was an older vessel owned by the Robinson family; maintenance logs and an examination of the repair practices in use by the vessel’s crew indicate that the vessel had not received several critical upgrades to her K/F Drive Core and a malfunctioning drive controller initiated a jump in close proximity to an asteroidal refueling base.  The resulting tidal surges utterly destroyed both the JumpShip (and her attendant DropShips) as well as the refueling base.  Due to potential legal actions against the owners of the JumpShip, the names of the crew and the vessel itself are not being released.”

Third, Field Marshall Ardan Sortek has been named as the new Duke of Robinson and the commander of the Draconis March.  Duke Sortek is returning from the Clan front to assume his office immediately.

This has been a UFP update. (Cleared for internal and foreign distribution-MIIO)

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #280 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:47 AM »

I love it joy such wonderful writing.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2012, 06:18:41 AM »

Good explanation MA and another good chapter.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

Headquarters, 10th Donegal Guards RCT
Zoetermeer, Lyran Commonwealth
November 1, 3043

Colonel Robert Ohell of the 2nd Regiment, 12th Star Guards spat on the ground as the voice of the invader’s spokesman came over the speaker.  “We are the Ice Hellions!  From the frigid depths of the empty void we strike, claiming this world in the name of our Clan, the true Heirs of Kerensky.  Yield, or dispute our claim by stating the forces you wish to see destroyed.”

“So much for our intelligence claiming that the Vipers would hit us,” muttered Marshall Sarah Steiner, newly appointed to command of the 10th Donegal.  “What information do we have in Wolf’s briefing on these . . . Hellions?”

The HQ staff hustled as officers and NCOs scrolled through data, and then one looked up.  “A second, perhaps even third, tier Clan.  Small, with little Elemental support, but a concentration of ‘Mechs and Fighters . . . according to the file, Marshall, they favor lighter, faster combat units—they have nothing in their touman in the Assault-weight class, outside of ASF assets.”

“Well, hell.  Maybe we hand these bastards a defeat after all,” chimed in Robert, as Sarah waved away the acrid smoke from his cigar.  “Both our regiments are heavy-weights—we might just have the firepower advantage here, with your tanks and infantry, Marshall Steiner.”

“Maybe,” Sarah answered as she lifted the transmitter.  “This is Marshall Sarah Steiner, commanding the 10th Donegal Guards.  We will defend this system in the name of Archon Melissa Steiner-Davion; come at your own peril.”

“Transmit your Order of Battle so that we may properly tailor our attack,” the radio crackled after a moment.

“Cheeky bastards, aren’t they!” barked Robert.

“Negative, Hellions,” Marshall Steiner answered.  “You will have to learn our dispositions the old-fashioned way—through recon.”

There was a pause and then the radio crackled with static again.  “We accept your challenge, Marshall Steiner of the 10th Donegal.  Do you intend to use artillery in your defense?”

“Why don’t you land and find out?”

“We shall meet you with the full force of The Blinding then,” and the radio signal died away.

Sarah nodded.  “Get back to your Regiment, Bob.  I think we might be in for a rough time ahead.”

“Ja, mein Marshall,” he answered with a grin as he snapped to attention; then he turned and left.

Sarah leaned over the map table and bit her lip.  Zoetermeer had two vital locations to defend—the capital city of Nieuw Den Haag and the mining operations run by Tamar Mineral Extractions, Ltd., a corporation owned entirely by Duke Kelswa—and she had clear orders from the Duke in command of the Tamar March that the mineral extraction facilities were to be defended at all costs.  In addition, the capital spaceport lay fifty-two kilometers outside of Nieuw Den Haag; it too must be held to prevent the Hellions from having access to the refueling facilities and runways.

Accordingly, her 10th Donegal was broken into three Combat Groups, each built around a ‘Mech battalion, a regiment of armor, and two regiments of infantry, reinforced with a battery of artillery.  Each Combat Group was dug in deep around the objectives, while her fourth armored regiment had been assigned as subordinate to Ohell’s Regiment.  Bob would command her reserve and either reinforce her fire-bases or conduct a counter-attack.

She nodded to herself.  There was nothing more to do but wait.

The battle started as the 10th Donegal’s aerospace fighters sparred with the Clan fighters in the upper atmosphere.  But quickly, the Federated Commonwealth defenders found that they were vastly outnumbered in space; not only did the Hellion have the fighters assigned to the Clusters of their Alpha Galaxy, a York-class carrier had settled into orbit overhead.

Of the seventy-two ASF from the mercenaries and the 10th sent to interdict the attackers, fourteen managed to return to base—nine of those heavily damaged.  The Hellions fighters had suffered as well, but they started the conflict with more than two hundred and sixty—and had two hundred untouched units left when the 10th’s few remaining fighters landed.

Following the aerial holocaust, the Hellions took four hours to send recon flights criss-crossing over the inhabited continent of Zoetermeer, their powerful active probes scanning the landscape and seeking out Marshall Steiner’s concentrations.  Only after these flights were concluded did the DropShips begin to descend through the atmosphere, landing well outside the reach of the fire-bases.

Five Clusters of Hellion OmniMech formed up and advanced as one upon the defenders of the starport.  But unlike the Falcons or the Vipers or the Jaguars, the Hellions did not blindly charge ahead; no, they circled at extreme range and picked away at the defenders, too far distant for the 10th’s weapons to reach them.  But the 10th’s artillery reached out and shells began to fall among the Hellions—and in reply the fighters once again plunged into the planet’s atmosphere.  Mostly heavy-weight designs, with a few faster mediums in support, the fighters swooped down and released six hundred Arrow IV air-to-ground missiles that plunged into the perimeter of the 2nd Battalion, 10th Donegal Combat Group—and on the heels of the massive explosions, the Hellion OmniMechs closed faster than anyone could have imagined possible.  At the same time, hordes of small craft dived down from orbit and two hundred and Elemental infantry para-dropped directly into the center of the compound.

“They’re swarming all over us, Marshall!  They aren’t fighting like the Clans should!  They are teaming up and tearing my ‘Mechs and tanks to pieces!  Behind you Jim!” the radio crackled with the thunder of a heavy autocannon, and then there was a scream . . . and then only static.

She swallowed.  She was only thirty-nine years old, and Aunt Nondie—well, a third cousin twice removed—had given her this command just four months ago.  She licked her dry lips and changed the radio frequencies.  “Bob, I need you to hit them at the star-port—now, if we are going to save anything.  I am ordering the 1st battalion to roll out as well.”

“Negative, Marshall!  Stick to the plan—we’ve got to bleed them!”

“My men are dying, Colonel!”

“Your men are already dead, Marshall.  We can’t get there in time to save them, and the 1st will get cut to ribbons outside of the defenses!  Hold your position!”

“Damn you, Colonel Ohell!  Hit them now!”

But there was no reply from the radio.  Sarah frowned and she turned to her staff, “What’s going on?”

“Marshall—we are being jammed!” one yelled, as the crack and whine of the Clan’s anti-personnel gauss rifles began to thunder outside, amidst the explosions of SRMs and the screams of her HQ security detachment.

Another of Ohell’s ‘Mechs exploded as it ate four converging ER PPC bolts and ER Large Laser beams.  For two and a half hours now, Robert had pulled back, leaving the bulk of the 10th Donegal behind as he tried to evade the Hellions and make it to his DropShips—but now he was surrounded.  He twisted his Stalker to one side and locked his missile launchers on another of the distant ‘Mechs; he squeezed the trigger and twenty missiles shot away; only a dozen hit however.  And his computer’s calm voice whispered into his ears, “LRM magazine depleted.”

Half of his ‘Mechs littered the line of his march behind him—and every last one remaining was damaged, some critically.  But still the Hellions didn’t close in, they circled at range, with that impossible speed, and they bled him out one cut at a time.

“Colonel,” Captain Edward Bowen spoke up.  Bowen was the senior officer left in the entire regiment, other than Robert.  “The DropShips report that they are under attack—and now I have lost their transmission.”

Robert Ohell looked up at the faint plumes of smoke in the distance and his heart sank.  “Enough of this running, Star Guards.  Let’s show these scum how the 42nd Striker chooses to go out.  CHARGE!” he yelled and he pushed the Stalker forward into a run.

But the Hellions simply gave way and continued to gnaw his command to death—Robert Ohell was fortunate enough not to see it however, for a Hellion Gauss slug slammed into his cockpit and he never again saw anything.

“Your command are the only survivors to date, Colonel Dane,” the voice of the Hellion Khan came over the radio of the commanding officer of the 3rd Battalion of the 10th Donegal.  “I can crush you as easily as I did you fellows—or you recognize the folly of your continued fighting and lay down your arms.  In honor of the courage of your comrades, we will treat you as we treat captured Clan Warriors, instead of consigning you to the laborer class.”

“Go to hell,” spat Colonel William Dane.

“I take it that is a no?  Colonel Dane, there are no civilian population centers within your perimeter; there is nothing preventing me from wiping you out without suffering a single casualty in response.  You do know I have WarShips in orbit, quiaff?”

“You do that and you will be hung for War Crimes!”

“The victors write history, Colonel Dane.  We slaughter no civilians, nor do we hide behind their skirts like cowards.  Your battalion is a legitimate military target.  I offer you one last opportunity to spare your Warriors their lives.”

Dane began to answer, but the weeping of his communication officer—newly married just three months ago, made him stop.  A tear leaked down his own cheek.  And he tried the raise the radio microphone once, and then twice; finally he managed to lift it.  “Damn you.   We accept your terms.”

“I will give you sixty minutes to lay down arms and march out, Colonel Dane.  Do not make me obliterate those mining facilities.”

And the radio transmission ended.  Dane pulled himself up straight.  “Burn the code books—purge the database.  And tell the troops to stack arms and form up to surrender.”

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »

CJWS Turkina’s Pride, inbound to orbit
Morges, Lyran Commonwealth
November 1, 3043

“Our opponents are concentrated here, on the industrialized continent of Windhoven,” Timur Malthus said as he aimed the point at the land mass closest to the equator on the frigid world of Morges.  “It is cold, wet, and thoroughly miserable, with nearly constant rain and lightning storms.  Thanks to the crew of the corvette Kerensky’s Blues and their signal intercept equipment, we know what units are awaiting us on the surface.  Our opponents today will be the 20th Arcturan Guards Regimental Combat Team, the 23rd Arcturan Guards Regiment, the three mercenary regiments of the Blue Star Irregulars, and two mercenary battalions of the Dioscuri.  This is in addition to nearly two score regiments of conventional infantry and armor.”  Timur paused and he folded his hands behind his back.  “The Blue Star Irregulars trace their founding to the Star League:  they claim their founders were recipients of the Blue Star of Kerensky—and they have the 1894th Light Horse Regiment in their ranks.”

Mutters broke out among the dozen assembled Galaxy and Cluster commanders, and Timur nodded slowly.  “Another of their regiments is the 21st Rim Worlds, a unit that defected from Stefan Amaris’s army to join the SLDF during the Campaign to reclaim the Hegemony and the Liberation of Terra.  These regiments may prove themselves honorable foes.  They may not; they are, after all, mercenary sell-swords.  However, we will extend to the Blue Star Irregulars the courtesy of zellbrigen; as for the rest,” Timur shrugged, “deal with them as you see fit.”

The saKhan broke off as he spotted Elias Crichell making his way forward.  “Attention on deck!” he snapped, and all of the Falcons present instantly stood.

“Today is a great day, my Falcons,” said Crichell as he mounted the stage.  “On Deia, Galaxy Commander Vandervahn Chistu is leading the Gyrfalcon and Peregrine Galaxies to victory; I expect the Jade Falcon and Goshawk Galaxies to do better!  Quiaff!”

“Aff!”

“saKhan Malthus with the Turkina Keshik will have tactical control over this operation; I will remain at the Clan forward command post to coordinate actions between Deia and Morges.  You have all been assigned your Drop-zones:  we reach orbit in thirty-four minutes, so get to your ships.  Victory, Falcons!”

“VICTORY!” The assembled officers shouted and then raced through the corridors of the battlecruiser to board small craft heading back to their DropShips.  All but Timur Malthus, who remained behind.  Elias frowned.

“Was there something else, saKhan?”

Timur bowed his head slightly.  “My Khan, you have yet to participate in a single battle since this invasion began—no other Khan or even the ilKhan can make such a claim.  Is it wise for you to remain behind . . . again?  There will be talk of your . . . aversion to risk.”

The frown on Elias Crichell’s face deepened and he stepped close against the chest of the younger Falcon.  “You leave the control of this Clan to me, Malthus—and I will allow you free reign to slaughter these free-birth as you wish; challenge me and you will find there are many who desire your position.  Vandervahn Chistu not least among them.  Be careful that he does not perform better than you, or I might well have to listen to my Falcons when they call for your head.”

Timur’s eyes flashed with anger and he started to reply, but the Khan cut him off.  “NOT another word, saKhan Malthus!” Elias thundered.  “I gave you your rank—and I can take it from you, along with your life.  Now go, and pray that I forget this conversation.”

Still fuming the Falcon saKhan bit his lip and he turned to leave.  “And Timur?  I will be watching the conduct of your battles below closely—there are rumors that you have not been behaving as a proper Falcon recently.  Tread lightly, saKhan.”

Four hours later, Timur Malthus entered the tent hurriedly erected for his august presence.  The 23rd Arcturan Guards had put up a tenacious defense, but led by the Turkina Keshik, the Jade Falcon Galaxy had sent them running—now the mercenaries were approaching, even as the Goshawk Galaxy held the 20th Arcturan and their lesser regiments at bay.

The saKhan accepted with grace the proffered canteen that one of the Techs held out and he took a deep swallow of the cold water within.  He handed it back and looked down on the map and nodded.  Then he traced line back to a single icon in his rear—an icon marked with the symbol for the Clans Field HQ.

Timur smiled and he extracted a folded piece of paper from his cooling suit.  “Let us treat these Blue Star Irregulars as if they were Clan.  Establish contact with them, and inform them of our current strength and location—all of our units locations and strength on that sheet.  In the meantime,” he turned to face his Cluster commanders, “it is time for the Dioscuri to die.  Star Colonel Folkner, I want the Falcon Guards to hammer them, to hound them, to annihilate them.  The remainder of Alpha and the Turkina Keshik will redeploy to here,” he said tapping the map.

“Sir?” asked Star Colonel Marthe Pryde, the young commander of the 89th Falcon Striker Cluster.  “That will open a gap fifteen kilometers wide between our forces and those of Zeta Galaxy; could not the Blue Star Irregulars attempt to use that space in an effort to drive us even further apart?”

Timur smiled.  “If they do, they are in a rude awakening.  With the Turkina Keshik here,” he tapped a section of the mapboard, “the 12th Regulars here,” another section, “your Strikers here,” yet another section tapped, “and the 3rd and 9th Talon Clusters here and here, what will happen if the Blue Star Irregulars attempt that?”

Marthe inhaled.  “All five of the Clusters can catch them in the flank as they move through—and they cannot evade against your higher speed,” she nodded to herself.  “Their lead elements might well punch through—and if they do there is nothing standing between them and the Khan.”

“War is a matter of gambling, Star Colonel Pryde.  And I think this time, we will have gambled successfully.  If not, our Khan is a Warrior and he as an Honor Guard to defend him as well.  He knows and has chosen to accept the risk, I might add.  If the Blue Star prove dishonorable," Timur smiled, "and refuse to meet us in single combat, he will, of his own violation and command, serve as bait.  Once we finish dealing with the Blue Star Irregulars—and Star Colonel Folkner and the Falcon Guard finish off the Dioscuri, we will then wheel en masse and flank the conventional regiments bolstering the defenses of the 20th Arcturan in the foothills here.”  And once again the finger tapped the map.

“Questions?”  None of the Cluster commanders said a word, and Timur nodded.  “Then get your commands moving,” he said, dismissing the officers and walked over to the comm tech.  “Have they replied?”

“saKhan, forgive me, but I have not sent the message yet.”

“And why have you not?”

“saKhan, you honor our foes, but you have given them the location of the Khan’s headquarters—and told them that he is defended by just two points of Elementals and a Star of ‘Mechs!”

Timur smiled.  “Send it, Tech.  That is a direct order from the saKhan of the Clan.”

Trembling, the comm tech began the transmission, and Timur’s smile turned into a grin.

Elias Crichell looked up in surprise as Kael Pershaw’s misshapen body pushed past the honor guards at the entrance to his headquarters, and his surprise rapidly turned into a frown as he saw the distress on his old friend’s face.  “Kael . . .”

“Evacuate now!” the Watch officer shouted.  “Leave the equipment and run!”

He had reached the Khan and put one myomer hand on Elias’s arm and began pulling him towards the tent flap.  Elias emerged out into the sunlight and he stopped.  “What is going on?” he barked.

“Timur Malthus has made a mistake that not even a sibkin could make—he has split his forces and there is a full battalion of BattleMechs heading straight here!  They will arrive in minutes, my Khan!  We must go now!  I have a DropShuttle waiting outside.”

Elias’s face paled and his head twisted towards the sound of autocannon fire from the pickets.  No, Timur did not make a mistake; somehow he had engineered this.  Damn him and his ambition.  Kael was shouting, but Elias just stood there as two dozen aerospace fighters descended through the clouds, laser bolts emerging from their nose to strafe across the Falcon’s HQ.

“Jade Falcons!” Timur Malthus broadcast.  “Khan Crichell has been killed by our opponents!  Our Khan has fallen as he fought these dezgra surats alone!   The Jade Falcon Galaxy will avenge him!  FALCONS . . . FORWARD!”

Six Clusters of furious Warriors tore into the flanks of the strung-out columns of the Blue Star Irregulars, even as their lead battalion ripped apart the Clan’s Field Headquarters . . . and Timur Malthus smiled.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »

Khan’s Star, Golden Keshik
Tamar, Lyran Commonwealth
November 1, 3043

“Clever,” Ulric rumbled to himself as he topped the ridgeline that overlooked the Kelswa Fortress that protected the approaches to Tamar’s capital city.  The broad plains around the Fortress would have allowed the Clan to reduce the city with ease, from outside of the range where Kelswa and his defenders could reply—but some enterprising young officer had apparently stocked hundreds of mortar teams amongst the infantry . . . and every one of them was firing a constant barrage of smoke shells, mixed with chaff and flares.

Not even the Clans could hit what they couldn’t see.

“How many troopers does he have, Natasha?” the Khan asked.

“The 26th Lyran Guard that are giving the Coyotes so much trouble on the far side of the valley, plus the Training Cadre from the Academy here, and two battalions of the Kelswa Guard, the latter two within the Fort itself.”

“That is all?”

Natasha snorted.  “Hardly, but that is all that is here now—that we know of.  Kelswa has been buying up mercenary contracts left and right—he could have another six or seven regiments in that old Fort.  The 5th Crucis Lancers and 11th Avalon Hussars will be here by nightfall as well.”

“Options?”

Garth Radick cleared his throat and then spoke up.  “The smoke blinds them as well as us.  We will take casualties, but we press forward and eliminate this burr in our side before the Davion RCTs arrive.”

“It also forces us into their range, saKhan Radick,” snapped Natasha acerbically.  “Don’t you think he’s mined the approaches until a ballet dancer couldn’t get through?”

“Mind your language, Star Colonel!” the saKhan barked.  “Of course I considered that; which is why I think your 13th Wolf Guards should lead the assault.  After all, half of them are free-births and the other half were on the verge of being sent to Solahma formations.  After you clear us a path through the minefields, Beta will take the fortress before nightfall—I give you my word on that Khan Kerensky.”

Ulric nodded, but he noticed the expression on the Black Widow’s face.  “Yes, Star Colonel Kerensky?”

“While some might agree that the saKhan’s plan has merit—or they would if they had the intelligence of two year old chimpanzee—I suggest we strip our Elementals from every Cluster on planet and the ships above, and use them as sappers.  They are too lightweight to detonate the mines, and the defenders cannot see them to trigger the explosives remotely.  Once lanes have been cleared, we move in—but after the sappers have infiltrated into the interior of the fortress.”

Garth snorted.  “After they magically walk through the walls?  You do not believe they shrouding their own walls in this smoke, do you?”

Natasha smiled.  “It just so happens, I have an old map of the Kelswa Fortress—including their sewage system—which is large enough for two Elementals abreast.  They can bypass the walls and pop up in the middle of the Fort; distracting the enemy while we make our approach.”

“And those tunnels are not guarded?”

“Of course they are!  Which is why I have outfitted my Elemental Trinary with the old SLDF Nighthawk PA(L), with their full ECM and Stealth systems.  My Elemental infantry in light power armor will go ahead and eliminate the guards on the tunnels, opening the way for your Elementals to open the breach—and then Alpha and Beta will destroy them utterly.”

The Wolf saKhan started to reply, but Ulric held up one hand.  “Agreed, Star Colonel Kerensky.  Pull the Elementals from Alpha, Beta, and the ships above—quickly.  But Alpha Galaxy will make the assault.  Garth,” he held up a second placating hand, “I will need Beta to hold back two furious and intact Regimental Combat Teams until this location is secure.  Can I trust you to do that?  Without Beta's Elementals, but with Alpha's aerospace assets?”

Garth’s jaw worked for a moment, but at last he said simply, “Aff, my Khan.”

“I will inform the Coyotes that they may stop playing with their prey and drive the 26th to destruction . . . in the meantime, let us get this ready to launch.”
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Up