OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Scorpio Ascendant  (Read 45802 times)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Scorpio Ascendant
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2012, 04:39:21 AM »

Doom is upon them  8)

And an interesting multi Clans coordinated operation that might give them a little more training.
Unless the Burrocks manage to escape to create their own "kingdom" or to warn the Inner Sphere (doubtful).

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »

Kilbourne Heights, Rose Peninsula, Dratha Continent
Dagda, The Pentagon, Clan Homeworlds
December 25, 3040

Nikolai gazed through the binoculars from his perch atop the high ridge overlooking the Rose Peninsula.  The Burrock defenders had pulled back into the port city of Folke—and they were well dug in.

“An Absorption would have been less costly,” his fellow Khan said as Ulric lowered his own binoculars and turned his attention towards Nikolai.  “But you had to drive the Clans into a frenzy over Annihilation, didn’t you?”

“Such language, Khan Kerensky!” Nikolai chided with a chuckle as he lowered the viewing glasses.  “In fact, I tried my best to whip the Clans into a feeding frenzy for this occasion—and I wasn’t entirely successfully.  You will note that, upon the insistence of the Spirits, the Adders, and the Jaguars, Burrock equipment—properly cleansed of their warriors taint, of course—is allowed to be captured as isorla.  Along with their industry.”  Nikolai laughed.  “Assuming that their industry survives this Trial, that is.”

“So far, Khan Djerassi, the Scorpions are the only Clan to profit from that.  If I am not mistaken, you seized two Burrock WarShips on the same day as the vote—in a surprise Elemental assault while they were docked at the Dagda Zenith station.  An assault without a batchall.”

“Ulric, Ulric, Ulric . . . a Trial of Annihilation has been declared by the Grand Council.  All Burrock assets are now legitimate targets to any of us—and a dezgra, corrupt Clan as they deserve no batchall.”

“I agree . . . but it was odd that your troops were already on the station, just waiting for a transmission that you knew would arrive.  The Burrock crews had no idea that a Trial of Annihilation had been declared—until your Elementals gunned them down where they stood and took their ships.”

Nikolai smiled at Ulric as he turned slightly to face him.  “I believe that you want to ask me a question, Ulric—why did I press so hard for this Annihilation?  Quiaff?”

“Aff.  I believe that I deserve an answer, Nikolai.”

The Scorpion extended his hand towards the three Clusters of Burrocks manning the defenses of Folke far, far below.  “I care not one whit for the Burrocks, Ulric Kerensky.  Yes, they committed crimes against the Clans for which they deserve so richly this Annihilation.  But their main purpose now is to teach the rest of our Clans the true meaning of war.  We have forgotten what it is like to wage war, Khan Kerensky.  But now we will see the true horrors; the Burrocks will not hold back in trying to save their own lives—which can only be accomplished by killing all of the rest of us.”  Nikolai’s mouth twisted.  “Or by making this War of Annihilation so costly that we give up and leave them alone.  Not that I think our fellow Clans will do that; not yet.  They believe they are invincible and they have fire in their bellies, Ulric Kerensky, Khan of the Wolves.  Let them experience the trials and tribulations of real war, at its worst, before we commit to Revival.”

“This is all just a training exercise to you?” The Wolf spat.  “Warriors, our warriors, will spill their blood down there and it will not just stop at the Burrock Warrior Caste, Khan Djerassi.  They have armed their civilians; that entire city is filled with partisans and insurgents.”

“As it will be in the Inner Sphere, Khan Kerensky; it is for the best if our Warriors learn here, learn now, what the future holds for them.  Those who shed their blood for their Clan today—Scorpion, Wolf, or Burrock—do not do so in vain.  Yes, Ulric.  This is a training exercise, one on a grand scale.  And it will have lessons that all of our Clans must learn from and adapt to—else Revival will be doomed from the very start.”

Nikolai raised the glasses again.  “I make out the insignia of four separate units:  their Gamma Galaxy Command Trinary, the 8th Battle Cluster, the 78th Burrock Guards, and . . .”

Ulric snorted.  “Their 82nd Burrock Guards.  You should have your eyes checked, Nikolai.”

“Thank you.  My officers reported that at least half of the Dagda garrison withdrew before the two of us arrived, Ulric; probably to reinforce Albion.  That fight will prove a blood-bath and I am not sad that my Clan does not have an enclave there.”

“So how would you suggest that we proceed, Khan Djerassi?”

Nikolai grinned.  “First of all, Khan Kerensky, we should offer them terms of surrender.”

“Terms of surrender?” Ulric looked at the Scorpion as if he were mad.  “This is a Trial of Annihilation, Nikolai!”

“And even so, we are the Clans.  We will abide by our own laws and customs, Ulric.  We will parley with them under a flag of truce and ask them to lay down their arms and accept the ruling of the Grand Council.  They will, of course, refuse.  But we will have made the attempt.  That is what is important here.”

Ulric stared at his fellow Khan.  “Our etiquette is important, quineg?”

Nikolai shook his head.  “Not our etiquette, Khan Kerensky; it is our devotion to our own laws and customs which is important.  If we, even amidst the horrors of total war allow ourselves to forget that, we become no better than the worst bandit.  We lose our honor, and our sense of conscience, Ulric.  And if we travel down that road, we will fall into madness and ruin.”

Three hours later, Nikolai and Ulric emerged from a ground car near a small Burrock APC on the outskirts of Folke—beyond weapons range, but still within line of sight to the city and its defenders.  A single Burrock Galaxy Commander awaited them.

“I am Matt Hutchinson, commander of the Burrock Gamma Galaxy.  You requested this parley, gentlemen; for what reason?”

“I, Nikolai Djerassi, Khan of Clan Goliath Scorpion, in conjunction with Khan Ulric Kerensky of Clan Wolf, ask that your Warriors lay down their arms and surrender in accordance with the Grand Council ruling of Annihilation.  I give you my word, their deaths will be quick and painless.  Your civilian castes will be treated with dignity and will suffer no harm other than sterilization.  Your city will remain intact.”

“I cannot do that, Khan Djerassi.  My Khan has ordered that we extract a heavy toll in Scorpion and Wolf blood over this Annihilation—and I intend to do just that.”

Nikolai nodded.  “Then know this, Galaxy Commander Hutchinson; any civilian caught bearing arms will be subject to summary execution.  The collateral damage to your civilian castes—of all ages—will not give us pause.  We will burn Folke to the ground and remove it from our histories.  Meet us in open and honorable combat, outside of your fortifications; and none of this will come to pass.”

“Neg, Khan Djerassi.  If you want the Burrocks dead, you will have to pry us from our chosen ground.  The blood of these innocents will be on your hands.”

“Bargained well and done, Galaxy Commander Hutchinson.  I will give you, your Warriors, and your civilians two hours to make their peace with what is to come—and then there shall be no quarter.  Our attack will begin at noon.  Merry Christmas, Galaxy Commander.”

Nikolai turned and he returned to the scout car, trailed by Ulric Kerensky, as Hutchinson too boarded his APC.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »

Some thoughts on the Scorpion touman.

In the decade since Khan Kirov began his reorganization of the Clan, the Scorpion’s touman has expanded and adopted a new organizational scheme.  There are now just three types of Scorpion Clusters:  Cuirassier (assault, heavy, and medium ‘Mechs), Dragoons (heavy, medium, and light ‘Mechs), and Hussars (medium and light ‘Mechs).  Each consists of six (6) Trinary formations, arranged as shown below:

Command Trinary:  12 ‘Mechs, 10 Elementals, 2 Aerospace Fighters.
1st Assault Trinary:  10 ‘Mechs; 25 Elementals
2nd Assault Trinary:  10 ‘Mechs; 25 Elementals
Battle Trinary:  5 ‘Mechs; 25 Elementals; 10 Aerospace Fighters
Striker Trinary:  10 ‘Mechs; 10 Aerospace Fighters
Reserve Trinary:  50 Elementals; 10 Aerospace Fighters

This gives the total (book) strength of a Cluster 47 ‘Mechs, 135 Elementals, and 32 Aerospace Fighters, transported by two Odyssey-class JumpShips, six Scorpion-class DropShips, and supported by one Death Dancer-class Assault DropShip, and one Auroch-class Cargo/Repair DropShip (with one of its cargo hold converted into a repair facility).

You will notice that there has been a renumbering of certain Clusters.  Khan Kirov decreed that each Cluster number (i.e. 24th Scorpion Cuirassier, 1st Scorpion Dragoon, etc.) would not be duplicated.  This caused certain units to be renumbered.  Also, the Uhlan and Grenadier Clusters have been converted into one of the three standard formations.

Total Strength as of January 1, 3041, at 100% of book value (which almost NO unit, especially in the wake of the Burrock Annihilation will be), is as follows:  1,363 ‘Mechs, 4,915 Elementals, 1,228 Aerospace Fighters, 24 WarShips, 70 Odyssey-class JumpShips, and 423 DropShips. These numbers include 1,000 Marine Elementals, 300 Aerospace Fighters, 45 Assault DropShips, and 92 Cargo DropShips assigned to the Clan’s WarShips (each Potemkin normally carries 2 Death Dancers and 23 other DropShips).

This does not include the Scorpion Merchant Fleet, which consists of ninety Odyssey-class JumpShips (a third of which is in mothballs).

Scorpion Table of Organization and Equipment (3041)

Knife Dance Keshik (Scorpion’s Destiny) (Elite)

Alpha Galaxy (The Rock Minders)
24th Scorpion Cuirassier (The Khan's Own) (Elite)
25th Scorpion Cuirassier (The Scorpions of the Veil) (Elite)
8th Scorpion Dragoons (The Whip-Tail Brigade) (Elite)
14th Scorpion Hussars (Swift Retribution) (Elite)

Beta Galaxy (Sand Runners)
21st Scorpion Cuirassiers (Black Sun) (Elite)
23rd Scorpion Cuirassiers (The Ironshell Irregulars) (Elite)
1st Scorpion Dragoon Cluster (Heartvenom) (Elite)
6th Scorpion Hussars (Desert Wind) (Elite)

Gamma Galaxy (The Cave Dwellers)*
3rd Scorpion Cuirassiers (Kerensky's Covenant) (Veteran)*
17th Scorpion Cuirassiers (The Golden Horde) (Regular)*
16th Scorpion Dragoons (The Gate Crashers) (Regular)*
9th Scorpion Hussars (The Crimson Legion) (Regular)*

Delta Galaxy (Swift Strikers)
20th Scorpion Cuirassiers (Scorpion Ascendant) (Veteran)
26th Scorpion Cuirassiers (The Dark Sting) (Veteran)
7th Scorpion Dragoons (The Din of Battle) (Veteran)
22nd Scorpion Hussars (Eye of the Storm) (Veteran)

Epsilon Galaxy (Nightcrawlers)
18th Scorpion Cuirassiers (The Khan's Castle) (Veteran)
28th Scorpion Cuirassiers (Death Stalkers) (Veteran)
10th Scorpion Dragoons (Poisoned Gambit) (Veteran)
19th Scorpion Hussars (Untamed Will) (Veteran)

Zeta Galaxy (Sting of the Sun)*
4th Scorpion Cuirassiers (Adamantine Hearts) (Regular)*
15th Scorpion Cuirassiers (Burning Sting) (Green)*
5th Scorpion Dragoons (Forked Ambition) (Regular)*
2nd Scorpion Hussars (Blinding Stare) (Regular)*

Eta Galaxy (Protectors of the Nest)*
12th Scorpion Cuirassiers (The Highwaymen) (Regular)*
27th Scorpion Cuirassiers (Obsidian Claws) (Green)*
11th Scorpion Dragoons (The Devil's Tail) (Regular)*
26th Scorpion Hussars (The Fire Scorpions) (Regular)*

Elite:  9
Veteran:  9
Regular:  9
Green:  2
Total:  29 clusters
Second-line Galaxies and Clusters are designated by an asterisk (*).  Gamma Galaxy is assigned to Roche; Zeta to Tokasha; Eta to Dagda; Epsilon (a front-line Galaxy) to Marshall, and Delta (another front-line unit) to Strana Mechty.  This leaves Alpha and Beta Galaxies free to conduct Trials and respond to other Clans, while keeping a strong defense in place against the aggression of others.

Clan Naval Reserve (22 ships)

Clan Flagship
Sovetskii Soyuz-class CA (Serket)

Scorpion’s Destiny Naval Star
McKenna-class BB (Lei Kung); Aegis-class CA (Corona Austrina); Congress-class FF (Bernlad); Lola III-class (Auriga)

Striking Claw Naval Star
McKenna-class BB (Requiem); Aegis-class CA (Corona Borealis); Congress-class FF (Garlon); Lola III-class (Sagitta)

Burning Sting Naval Star
Cameron-class BC (Hephaestus); Aegis-class CA (Coma Bernices, formerly CJFS Blue Talon); Congress-class FF (Fornax, formerly CJFS Green Lantern); Lola III-class DD (Scorpius, formerly CBS Cameron's Flame)

Fire Wheel Naval Star
Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser (Enceladus; Epimetheus), Essex-class DD (Aquila, formerly CBS Eagle)

Wild Hunt Naval Star
Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser (Karttikeya; Prometheus); Essex-class DD (Orpheus)

Far Seeker Naval Star
Jenna Scott-class Surveillance Vessels (Naomi Djerassi; Cyrus Elam; Jenna Scott)

Fleet Train
12 x Odyssey-class Jump Ships

In addition, in 3039, Khan Djerassi requested that the Scorpions be allowed to refit and return to service two Naga-class DD mothballed in the Clan Naval Caches.  However, intense pressure from Clan Snow Raven has so far prevented this.  If these ships are removed, refitted, and returned to service, they will be assigned one each to the Fire Wheel and Wild Hunt Naval Stars.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:24:08 PM by masterarminas »

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »

Kilbourne Heights, Rose Peninsula, Dratha Continent
Dagda, The Pentagon, Clan Homeworlds
December 25, 3040

Nikolai watched without any expression on his face as the clock on the field desk ticked closer and closer to noon.  He did not watch the clock; his gaze was directed on the distant city far, far below, and Ulric Kerensky shook his head.

“Shouldn’t we be moving out, Khan Djerassi?  You have nothing in range to attack with just . . . seventeen seconds remaining to your deadline, after all?” he asked with a slight smirk.  It was good to see that the Scorpion had not arranged things precisely this time around, he thought.

Nikolai did not answer . . . he only watched the distant city with his hands folded behind his back.

The Wolf Khan shrugged as the seconds slowly ticked away and then, in the distance, Ulric heard the faint scream of aerospace fighter engines in the atmosphere.  The scream rapidly crescendoed in volume, and Ulric glanced skyward and he blanched at the sight.  More than four hundred Scorpion fighters tore past high overhead, far above the reach of AA weapons, and precisely as the clock ticked over to show 12:00:00, the first bombs exploded just within the perimeter of the Burrocks below.

“Eta move out and secure a breach in their perimeter—Alpha and Beta follow and exploit.  Reserve Artillery Trinarys, begin your bombardment in fifteen seconds from . . . MARK!” Nikolai barked into the radio he held.

“You are committing three Galaxies?  In addition to this . . . atrocity of an aerial bombardment?” Ulric gasped, as fasting moving Scorpion ‘Mechs appeared on the plains below, moving at flank speeds to reach the Burrock perimeter still reeling under a curtain of explosions.

“As you yourself said, Khan Kerensky . . . this is a Trial of Annihilation.  I offered the Burrock commander the means to end this as honorably as possible.  He refused.  And I fully accept the consequences of this, Wolf.  This is what war is, after all.”

The last of the aerospace fighters had now passed by, each laden with—at a minimum—five tons of bombs.  Some carried as much as fifteen.  And as the final high altitude flight streaked pass, releasing their gifts of death and destruction, forty-five Artillery BattleMechs in the rear began to fire salvo after salvo of artillery rockets.  Twenty salvoes in all streaked out in a curtain of steel rain that detonated in massive blooms or debris, flame, and smoke on the forward Burrock positions as the second-line Warriors of Eta Galaxy closed the distance.

The final salvo went home just scant seconds before the Scorpions Warriors tore into the stunned and stumbling defenders, ripping a gap in their lines over a kilometer in length.  And through that breach poured the fresh OmniMechs—the elite OmniMechs—of Alpha and Beta Galaxy; their advance having been shielded by the Warriors of Eta Galaxy and the shock and awe of the bombardment.

“Reserve Artillery Trinarys reload and prepare to provide fire support on call,” Nikolai said into the radio.  He took his eyes from the burning city below and turned to face Ulric.  “Unless your Wolves prefer to observe, Ulric, I would suggest that you order them into the fray,” and he passed the radio phone to the Wolf Khan with an absolutely emotionless face.  "Although there is little enough honor to found in exterminating these vermin, let no one say that today the Scorpion and the Wolf alike did not do their duty."

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »

Hall of the Khans, Katyusha City
Strana Mechty, Clan Homeworlds
July 2, 3041

“And I say the Scorpions deliberately violated the Martial Code of Kerensky in their assault against the Burrocks on Dagda!” Norman Rood shouted out immediately after Loremaster Hawker announced an official end of the Burrock Annihilation War.  “They used artillery; they used bombs; they attacked en masse; and they showed no concern for collateral damage!  My Khans, today is the day that the Scorpions will finally face justice in this sacred hall!”

Nikolai stood.  “Come now, Khan Rood,” he said lightly.  “You left many things from your litany:  Clan Goliath Scorpion and Clan Wolf accomplished the Annihilation of Clan Burrock on Dagda on the twenty-third day of January, of this year.  Less than one standard month of combat operations, my Khans; and the majority of that was running down insurgent and partisan civilians.  The Battle of Folke ended in three days of fighting with the complete Annihilation of all members of the Burrock military caste on Dagda.”

The Scorpion descended from his third-tier seat to the well of the Hall and he turned to face all of his fellows.  “In comparison, it took almost six months for this Grand Council to declare combat operations on Albion at an end—and that discounts that there are still daily attacks by militant members of the civilian castes that once belonged to Clan Burrock.  I need remind no Khan here that this Council of Khans declared the Burrocks as dezgra and criminals, leading to their Annihilation.  I need remind none of you of the type of war that the Burrocks engaged in from the start.”

“They hid behind civilians,” Nikolai said quietly.  “They refused to fight us in the open and forced our Clans to hunt them down amongst the urban sprawl they had created.  They opened their Caches and they gave weapons to every civilian who could carry them, and the most cunning and effective of their civilians did not fight honorably—they planted hidden bombs capable of tearing the legs off a Dire Wolf and gutting a heavy tank!  They used napalm and inferno gel like common bandits to burn our Warriors alive.  On Paxon, and on Hoard, and on Priori, and on Albion, the Burrocks—one Clan, my Khan—tied us down for months with their dezgra tactics!”

“We all suffered losses during this War, but I will add this:  between Clan Goliath Scorpion and Clan Wolf, we suffered a grand total of two hundred and forty-seven dead Warriors with an additional five hundred injured over the entire course of the Second Dagda Campaign.  The city fighting in Folke was the source of most of those casualties . . . but what of your losses?”

Nikolai looked out over the assembled Khans.  “Khan Truscott, you lost two full Clusters to a single ambush on Albion!  No survivors.  Khan Showers, the Mistweavers of your Beta Galaxy had to rotate off-world when they reported thirty percent killed in action to this Council; my reports indicate it was closer to fifty percent!  They rotated out thirty days into the campaign, my Khans!  You all have similar losses to your toumans, and each of you know it.”

“And why did we suffer those losses?  Because many of you, even though we were fighting an opponent declared as dezgra by this very council chose to engage the Burrocks with zellbrigen remaining in full force.  At first, that is.  For each of you gradually overcame that, and you adapted your tactics.  You used massed aerospace fighter attacks, as did the Scorpions.  You used artillery barrages, as did the Scorpions.  You did no longer grant your foe the honor of zellbrigen, as did the Scorpions!  You massed your forces and you overwhelmed your enemy, as did the Scorpions!”

“The only difference, my Khans is that we Scorpions did so from the start!  And because we did, our losses were far fewer; our objectives were taken faster, less resources were laid to waste.  Khan Rood calls for Justice to be mete out here today, and I second that call, my Khans!  Let us realize what we have learned about fighting a real war and how it differs from our normal set-piece Trials with all of their rules and rituals.  By all means, let us seek Justice, my Khans!  But let us seek Justice for the Warriors who pay for our mistakes with their lives!”

Murmurs of whispers carried through the Hall as Nikolai climbed the steps and sat once more; and then Norman Rood stood again.  “The difference, Khan Djerassi, is that we attempted to fight in an honorable fashion until our opponents proved they were unworthy.  You did not wait.”

Ulric Kerensky winced and he stood to face Norman Rood.  “Khan Rood, you are mistaken.  Khan Djerassi gave the Burrocks an honorable way to avoid the fate they suffered—he called upon them to lay down their arms and surrender, and the city would have been spared.   The Burrocks refused.  He called upon them to meet our forces in open battle, without their fortifications and civilian auxiliary.  The Burrocks refused again.  He gave them two chances to behave in an honorable fashion—chances that the Burrocks chose to ignore.”

The Wolf Khan shook his head, carefully considering his words.  “While I cannot, and will not condone, the actions ordered by the Khan of the Scorpions, I agree with him that the measures he took to quickly end our campaign on Dagda spared the lives of many of my Warriors.  Should he have waited until one or two or three Clusters had been bled white before he resorted to such tactics?  Perhaps, but we did declare the Burrocks dezgra.  And his tactics, while repulsive on their face, are certainly allowed against bandits.  And I will mention this:  that while he decided to employ aerial bombardment and artillery strikes, he did not resort to orbital bombardment from WarShips, as the Hellions were forced to resort to on Priori in order to claim victory.”

“That was after they assassinated my saKhan!” Norman Rood screamed, as two more Khans restrained him.  “I turned that city into a pyre fit for Khan, after the Burrocks used a sniper to shoot him off the battlefield!”

“And yet, you consider that action, while provoked, to be less against the Will of Kerensky than what the Scorpions did on Dagda, Khan Rood?” Ulric continued calmly.  “My Khans, we have much to absorb from this Annihilation War . . . I suggest that the Council postpone further debate on Revival until we are all able to bring our toumans back to full strength.”

Khan Amanda Tseng shook her head sadly.  “I concur with the Wolf.  We must, for the moment, rebuild our strength—and study these actions in detail.  Can we presume that those in the Inner Sphere will not fight as fanatically in defense of their homes and their realms, after all?”

“They have lesser weapons, Khan Tseng,” Leo Showers said glumly, but he held up a placating hand.  “Still, your point is taken.  We need time to rebuild, and to integrate what little isorla we captured into our own ranks—and the former Burrock civilians on Albion need to be quashed.”

“Very well,” said the Loremaster and she slammed down her gavel.  “We will reconvene six months from this day to discuss the vote on Operation Revival.  We are adjourned.”

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »

Khan Rood need's to see a shrink. Also I concur with Khan Djerassi this is total war his actions were honorable and completely necessary . The Wolves were going duh when action were called for.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »

June 6, 3042

“The Khans of the Clans of Kerensky, having voted in unanimity  . . .” Melissa Hawker had to stop and get her breathing under control before she could continue.  “I hereby declare that Operation Revival is authorized!  The word GO has been spoken for the Invasion of the Inner Sphere!”

Uncharacteristically for the Clans, the emotion of the moment was far above what these assembled men and women normally allowed themselves to show.  The Ghost Bear Khan was weeping—weeping—in joy, and on this occasion, even the Jaguar and Raven Khans clasped their forearms as brother Warriors, not as the heads of rival Clans.  Mark Steiner, the saKhan of the Cloud Cobras was on his knees and he crossed himself in the symbol of his faith, his head lowered in prayer.  The Khans of Clan Nova Cat danced, and even Nikolai felt his heart lurch as those long-awaited—half-dreaded—words were finally spoken.

It took the Khans twenty minutes to pull themselves back from that emotional high and finally, an elated Melissa Hawker gaveled the assembly to order.  “My Khans, I summon Khan Nikolai Djerassi of Clan Goliath Scorpion and Khan Marion Truscott of Clan Star Adder to brief us on the details of Operation Revival.”

The two Khans stood and made their way to the well, where they halted and then turned to face the assembled Khans of the Clans.

“It has been a long road, my Khans,” Nikolai said, “but soon enough our Warriors will begin liberating the Inner Sphere.  There remains only a single task which must be performed before the Invasion itself can be launched.”

Nikolai lifted a remote and the lights of the Hall dimmed and a holographic projection sprang into existence from a projector built into the floor.  The projection showed the outer edge of the near Periphery, and a small collection of systems united together.

“These are the Chainelane Isles, my Khans.”

Rumbles of laughter rose up from the Smoke Jaguar Khan.  “You are not suggesting that we whet our claws on Chainelane, quineg?  Sibkin could put more of a defense!”

“Neg, Khan Showers,” Nikolai answered with bow.  “Chainelane poses no military threat to the invasion.  But they are key to the Invasion’s success!”

“Explain yourself, Scorpion,” growled the Jaguar.

“My Khans, when we launch Revival our fighting toumans will be six months journey from the Homeworlds.  From our factories that produce spare parts, OmniMechs, aerospace fighters, munitions; six months from the farms which produce our food.  We will have to bring everything we require with us—and we must predict a half-year in advance exactly what parts and supplies we will need!  We all know from the War of Burrock Annihilation how even here, amidst our homes, we suffered problems with our logistical supply lines in supporting such an intensive operation.”

Nikolai put his arms behind his back and he paced forward.  “Those problems will be magnified a hundred-fold in Revival, my Khans.”

Marion Truscott stepped up and he nodded in agreement.  “We propose that the Grand Council authorize an immediate Expeditionary Force from our Clans to set forth at once and seize the Isles, my Khans!  Among their number, this Expedition will include tens of thousands of Scientists, Merchants, Technicians, and Laborers, and will bear with them pre-fabricated factories AND orbital manufacturing stations which they will establish upon these worlds.”

“There are ten worlds in the Isles,” Nikolai continued.  “With perhaps a single Brigade of troops—conventional infantry and armor for the most part, with perhaps two Companies of BattleMechs in support—to defend them.  Seizing them will be child’s play.  Once they are taken, we will indoctrinate these outsiders into the Ways of the Clans—we will use the Chainelane Isles to learn the best methods for doing so—and we will transform this minor Periphery State from a back-water of desolation into our depot worlds!”

“My Khans!” Nikolai thundered.  “Our supplies will not have to be transported from the Homeworlds tying up a majority of our merchant fleets.  NO!  Our munitions, our spare parts, replacement OmniMechs, aerospace fighters, combat vehicles, Elemental battle armor, even DropShips and JumpShips will be manufactured here!  In these blessed Isles that lie just weeks from your fighting toumans during the Invasion.  And along with those factories, those mines, those orbital manufacturing centers, those shipyards in orbit, the fuel processing facilities, we will warehouse millions of tons of war material to ensure that our toumans have all that they need to make Revival a success!”

Khan Raymond Tanaga stood.  “This will require time, Khan Djerassi; Khan Truscott.  A year, perhaps even two to bring those pre-fabricated facilities on-line.  How can we tell our Warriors to delay in sight of the very rim of the Inner Sphere?”

“Yes,” Khan Showers said as he stood.  “They will strain at the leash, my Khans.  I agree that these depots must be built—but build them as we drive for Terra!  Lest our Warriors take it upon themselves to show you the right!”

Nikolai smiled.  “Khan Showers, my old friend, are you suggesting that the Jaguar leadership has somehow lost control of its own Warriors?  That you are unable to make them obey your commands?”

Not a breath was drawn and silence grew across the Hall as the Jaguar and Scorpion glared at each other.  “My Warriors will obey my orders, Scorpion—will yours?”

“Aff.  And so long as we, the Khans, hold firm, there will be no Warriors leaping forward to ‘show us the right’.  We will need the Isles to serve as our depot, and I would request that the Khans confirm this step in our plans.”  Nikolai paused and then Marion cleared his throat.  “In addition, we ask that the Ravens be allowed to remove the two Newgrange yard-ships from the Clan caches and restore them to service; once they are fit for duty, we ask the Grand Council that these yard-ships be stationed in the Isles to service any damaged JumpShips or WarShips during the Invasion.”

Peter McKenna stared at the two standing in the well for several moments before he blinked and then stood.  “We can restore those ships in six months, my Khans.  Less would take a miracle.”

Nikolai nodded.  “That is sufficient, Khan McKenna.”

“If there is no more debate,” started Melissa Hawker, “then perh- . . .”

“Wait!” shouted Stephen Devalis, saKhan of Clan Nova Cat.  “Before we decide upon this, we must first have an ilKhan.  I call for the election of an ilKhan to lead the Warriors of Kerensky!”

Approving mutters whispered across the well and seeing how the Khans were reacting, Nikolai nodded as well.  “I second the motion, Loremaster.  Perhaps if we might have a recess to confer with each other, then we can reconvene to vote on the election of an ilKhan and to approve the Chainelane Expedition.”

“Without objection,” the Diamond Shark Loremaster proclaimed; and before any Khan could object, she slammed the gavel, “so ordered!  We stand in recess until 1000 hours tomorrow morning.”

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »

We don't have an actual map of the Chainelane Isles . . . so I made one!  It isn't canon, but we know that there are 7+ worlds in the Isle; so I decided on 10.  Anyway, here they are.

MA

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 09:02:57 PM »

Canon Chainlaine attached from JH:FR.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »

Canon Chainlaine attached from JH:FR.

Well that's what I get for not buying and reading EVERYTHING.  At least I got the number of systems right!  LOL  Thanks, Blacknova.

MA

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

Hall of the Goliath Scorpion, Katyusha City
June 6, 3042

Amanda Tseng sighed as sank into one of the overstuffed chairs surrounded the crackling fireplace.  “It is, upon occasion, good to be feted by such an unrepentant hedonist, Nikolai,” she said as she swirled her brandy gently.  A statement which caused the Scorpion’s other four guests to chuckle.

Jake Fletcher, Marion Truscott, Ulric Kerensky, and Yvonne Hazen each had a seat for themselves, with Nikolai in the final one.  He raised his own glass in salute to the Ghost Bear, and softly said, “To our fallen brothers and sisters,” before the others responded with “Seyla!” and each took a sip.

“The excellence of the dinner aside—and the delight of the company—I think we now have business to discuss,” the Khan of Hell’s Horses said as he sat down his snifter.  He did take up one of the hand-rolled cigars from Nikolai’s humidor, which he placed within his mouth and brought to life from a glowing ember he extracted from the fire.

Ulric waved away the smoke and scowled at the Horse in distaste, but he nodded his head.  “The Wardens—most of the Wardens,” he corrected as he stared at Nikolai, “have pledged to nominate and support me as ilKhan.  Your fellow Crusaders—with your own saKhan leading the charge, Yvonne—are squarely behind Leo Showers.  Showers will be a . . . disaster,” Ulric said as he shook his head, “if elected.  The man has no strategic sensibilities at all.”

“And you cannot secure enough votes to win, Ulric,” Nikolai said.  “Even if I and every Khan in this room supported you, you would need two more votes just to tie the Jaguar.  We need another candidate.”

Ulric snorted.  “You?”

“No,” Nikolai answered.  “I have angered too many Khans over the years—the Wardens and some Crusaders might support me, but not the majority.  Nor, I am sad to say, will they cast their ballot for Marion—although his work on Revival has convinced me that he would make an outstanding ilKhan.  Your Adders are just too conservative in battle, my friend; the Crusaders fear that you would hobble them as much as Ulric there.”

“I take no offense, Nikolai,” the Adder said.  “And I agree—I cannot gain the votes.  Nor can Jake, despite his skill, or Amanda.”  Marion Truscott’s voice trailed off and now everyone was staring at Yvonne Hazen—except Ulric Kerensky who just kept glaring at Nikolai.

“You cannot be serious!” the Falcon Khan exclaimed.  “I am the oldest of the Khans; my saKhan disagrees with me on most issues; I do not want the damn job!”

“Since when has what we wanted actually meant anything, Khan Hazen?” asked Nikolai.  “We have our duty—Ulric has not the votes to win and Showers does.  But, if Showers wins, he will rush; he will throw your Clan into the fire without support, without the supplies you need, he will be the disaster that Ulric claims in truth.  For all our Clans, Yvonne.”

“But you,” Nikolai continued in that soft voice.  “You are a Khan of the Jade Falcons; a Crusader whose honors in battle surpass that of the Jaguar.  If you are on the ballot, Ulric and I can convince a number of Wardens to throw their support to you—rather than see a brutal Smoke Jaguar put in command of us all.  And the Crusaders—many of them—will flock to you, Yvonne.  For they well know your cunning, your intelligence, your skill in a cockpit of an OmniMech.  Our lives have never been about want; they have all revolved around our duty.  And ilKhan Yvonne Hazen, tonight that duty calls you for one final campaign.”

Amanda Tseng nodded, and she whispered, “Seyla.”

One by one, the rest of the fireside council, as the six Khans had named these meetings, nodded in agreement until Yvonne at last surrendered and added her own.  And then she laughed.  “Elias Crichell will be torn between fury at my interference with his campaign to get Showers elected and the joy over his possibility of becoming the Khan of the Falcons in my stead.  He will not like the Turkina Keshik being removed the Falcon touman, however.”

“Perhaps we can avoid that, Yvonne,” Marion Truscott said with slight smile.

“How?  Are you suggesting that the ilKhan have no escort?”

“Neg.  We intend—after your election—to propose that every Clan gift our new ilKhan with a Star of Warriors to be added to the Ebon Keshik.  Sixteen stars of Warriors, Yvonne, to add to the three already assigned.”

Nikolai nodded in agreement.  “And not just Elementals, Khan Hazen.  We are calling for a balanced contribution of volunteers—OmniMechs, OmniFighters, combat vehicles, and Elementals.  Enough to expand the Ebon Keshik to a reinforced Cluster of six Trinary formations and a Star of the ilKhan’s Guard.  The Ebon Keshik Cluster will accompany you into the Inner Sphere.”

“What of their duties here?”

“We will make a second call for an expansion of the Katyusha Keshik by the same amount—ninteen Stars for them as well.  They will assume the duties of the Ebon Keshik here on Strana Mechty—and aboard the Prinz Eugen—in the absence of the ilKhan gone to lead the Invasion.”

“Warriors from every Clan—how will they not hold their Clan first?”

“We will select only the finest of volunteers—Warriors who are willing to put their Clan behind them to serve their ilKhan, Yvonne,” Jake Fletcher added.  “No Khan will want to be seen as sending the ilKhan second-rate Warriors, and you can always reject the ones they send and demand others.  That is a prerogative of the ilKhan, I believe.”

Yvonne nodded her head, and she slowly smiled.  “Why yes, Jake, I believe that it is.  I will have to dig through the archives and find those powers given to the ilKhan . . .” she stopped and began to laugh as Nikolai, Jake,  and Marion extended datapads with the information already downloaded.

Then her laugh came to an end.  “Understand this . . . I will be no puppet and I will tolerate no insubordination.”

Ulric laughed.  “Yvonne, although surprised at the turn of events tonight, I believe that I can safely say you will never be a puppet.  And I pity the Warrior or Khan who shows his insolence to you.”

“In that case, my Khans, your ilKhan demands another round of desert.  That cake was positively divine, Nikolai!”

And all six Khans laughed.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »

All good, I'm one of those wierd people that go straight for the maps.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 03:45:59 PM »

June 7, 3042

The last of the Khans slowly made their way to their seats as Loremaster Hawker emerged on the dais.  There was an . . . electricity in the room, a  palatable sense of elation and confidence among the thirty-two surviving Khans of the Clans of Kerensky.  Today, for the first time in ninety-four years, an ilKhan would be elected to lead the Combined Clans to Glory.  Even those of the most ardent Warden Clan could taste the emotions running high.

The final Khan sat and Loremaster Hawker nodded.  “I open the floor for nominations to the office of ilKhan,” she said simply.  Elias Crichell began to stand, but then she continued speaking.  “Khan Jake Fletcher of Hell’s Horses, the floor is yours.”

The saKhan of the Jade Falcons glared at the Shark Loremaster, but she ignored him, and Crichell sat as the Horse Khan stood.  “It has been almost ninety-four years to the day since Tobias Khatib was stripped of his title and executed for his crimes.  Throughout the century since, we have held the office of ilKhan as vacant . . . until now.  Now comes the time when we are preparing to unleash our might and restore that which has fallen.  The Star League of our Great Father, Aleksandyr Kerensky is on the verge of being renewed from the ashes, like the Phoenix of old.”

“And so it is that in this time, we require one leader from the Khans, one voice with which to direct our efforts.  We need an ilKhan.  I submit to you, trothkin, there is but one among us who has earned the right to this high office.  Who possesses the character and the intelligence and the skill as a Warrior to lead us into Victory.  There is one Khan seated here today, who can unite our Clans into an unstoppable juggernaut that will not pause until we have Liberated all of Humanity from their Oppressors!”

“That Khan, our future ilKhan, sits here among us today, trothkin,” Jake lowered his voice to a whisper, and he turned to face the Khan of the Smoke Jaguars, who smiled at his fellow Crusader.  Jake smiled back in reply.  “She has proven her worth in a hundred battles.  She has earned the most prestigious Blood Name of her Clan.  She has given to all of us her counsel through the years and though she is a Crusader, she does not ignore the Warden Clans among us.  She listens and she debates and she fights as the purest vision of a true Khan of Nicolas Kerensky’s vision.”

Leo Showers smile began to fade at the word she, and as Jake Fletcher continued, his face began to flush with a hot rage.

“Trothkin,” the Horses Khan finished, “I place before you in nomination for this high office, the name of Yvonne Hazen, the Khan of Clan Jade Falcon.”  And then he sat, as frenzied whispers began to circle the chamber.  Elias Crichell looked stunned and his mouth gaped open as he simply stared at his Khan, as Melissa Hawker banged her gavel.

“Khan Ulric Kerensky, of Clan Wolf, the floor is yours,” she said.  And the whispers vanished as Ulric stood and he gravely nodded.

“To hold the office of ilKhan, one must be a Warrior.  None here can deny that Yvonne Hazen is a Warrior true-born and an exemplary one at that.   One must have wisdom, and all Khans here who have spoken with her know that Yvonne Hazen is wise.  One must be a proven leader who has managed to preserve her Clan through times of crisis!  She has done so.  Through the long years of our exile, trothkin, it is no secret that my Wolves and Yvonne Hazen’s Falcons have contended with each other—some days with words, some days with OmniMechs!  We disagree on much; she is a Crusader, whereas I am a Warden.  But despite all of that, my Khans, she possesses the final requirement of an ilKhan.  Yvonne Hazen knows honor.  She lives her life and conducts herself in all things with true honor.  As all but one ilKhan before her have done.”

Ulric paused and he turned his gaze over his brother and sister Khans one by one.  “I second the nomination of Yvonne Hazen, Loremaster.  And I pledge to her the support of Clan Wolf!  And I would ask my Warden trothkin who believe that I may stand in nomination to lay aside this dream; for I will decline any such nomination to the office of ilKhan.  I ask that they consider my own choice in the matter, and vote to confirm Yvonne Hazen of Clan Jade Falcon as the Seventh ilKhan of the Clans; the successor to Nicolas Kerensky and our leader.”

Ulric took his seat once more, as Leo Showers stared at the Khans in dawning horror at how his foes had conspired to rob him of his rightful office.

“Are there any other names to placed in nomination?” the Loremaster asked, and still Elias Crichell appeared stunned and unable to speak.  But then Jillian Andrews, Khan of the Steel Vipers, and bitter foe of the Falcons stood.  “We cannot follow a Falcon, my Khans!  Let alone one so old!  We need new leadership for this time of renewal!  I submit to you the name of Leo Showers in nomination for ilKhan—he will lead us to Glory!”

“Is there a second?”

Elias Crichell began to rise, but then he shook his head and he remained sitting, and Leo Showers face darkened still more into a deep shade of puce.  Finally, his own saKhan, Brandon Howell, stood.  “I second the nomination of Leo Showers!”

“Are there further nominations?”

Marion Truscott stood.  “Loremaster I move that the nominations be closed and the matter carried to a vote.”

“Seconded,” said Amanda Tseng.

“Without objection, so ordered,” the Loremaster said with a quick strike of her gavel.  “I call the vote:  Clan Blood Spirit?”

“We . . . abstain,” said Khan Andrew McFadden, and her saKhan Helen Schmidt nodded agreement.

“Clan Cloud Cobra?”

saKhan Mark Steiner whispered in the ear of his Khan, and then Karen Telinov stood.  “Cloud Cobra casts both ballots for Yvonne Hazen.”

“Clan Coyote?”

Pavel Kerensky, Khan of the Coyotes stood; his saKhan Zachariah Koga remained sitting.  “The Coyotes honor Yvonne Hazen with our votes.”

“Clan Diamond Shark?”

Khan Olivia Sutherland stood after a brief whispered conversation with her saKhan, Daniel Clarke.  “The Sharks cast one ballot each for Yvonne Hazen and Leo Showers, Loremaster.”

“Clan Fire Mandrill?”

Raymond Tanaga did not wait for his saKhan (Jorge Payne) as he stood.  “We stand behind Yvonne Hazen,” but true to the factious nature of the Mandrills, Payne too stood!  “He stands behind the Falcon; I cast my ballot for Leo Showers!”

“Clan Ghost Bear?”

Amanda Tseng stood, while Eric Jorgensson just smiled.  “The Ghost Bears are united in support of Yvonne Hazen!  Long may our ilKhan reign over our Victories yet to come!”

“Clan Goliath Scorpion?”

“We cast our ballots in support of Yvonne Hazen, Loremaster,” Nikolai said, and Randall Posavatz nodded in agreement.

“Clan Hell’s Horses?”

Jake Fletcher stood, and his saKhan, Raphael Mendoza nodded approval.  “Tally two more votes for Yvonne Hazen, Loremaster.  The Herd has spoken.”

“Clan Ice Hellion?”

Norman Rood jumped to his feet, but Bridgette Bragg, his saKhan remained seated.  “We vote for Leo Showers!”

“Clan Jade Falcon?”

Yvonne laughed.  “I cast my ballot for myself, of course, Loremaster.  How say you Elias?” she asked her saKhan, and the junior Falcon at last stood.  “Loremaster, I-I . . . vote for my Khan, Yvonne Hazen, to be elected as ilKhan of the Clans.”

“Clan Nova Cat?”

Marius West and Stephen Devalis, Khan and saKhan stood.  “Yvonne Hazen will lead our Clans well; she has our votes and our full support.”

“Clan Smoke Jaguar?”

A rather furious Leo Showers stood, and his saKhan Brandon Howell just shook his head in disbelief.  “The Jaguars support me—they will always support me!”

“Clan Snow Raven?”

Khan Peter McKenna nodded sharply as he stood, his saKhan Damien Crow at his side.  “Our ballots are cast for Yvonne Hazen, Loremaster.”

“Clan Star Adder?”

Marion Truscott shook his head, and Jean N’Buta chuckled from her seat.  “Does it matter, Loremaster?  But for the record, Clan Star Adder casts its ballots for Yvonne Hazen.”

“Clan Steel Viper?”

Jillian Andrews did not bother standing, nor did her saKhan Ian Monet.  “We cast our ballots for Leo Showers!”

“Clan Wolf?”

“For Yvonne Hazen, of course,” answered Ulric Kerensky, and Garth Radick nodded his affirmation.

“My Khans having voted, the tally is 22 votes for Yvonne Hazen, 8 for Leo Showers, and two abstentions.  Khan Showers, if you wish to call for a Trial of Refusal over this vote, the odds will be 2.75 against 1.”

Leo Showers slowly stood.  “I will not contest the will of my fellow Khans in this matter—there will be no Trial of Refusal.”

Melissa Hawker nodded.  “There being no Trial of Refusal called, I hereby declare that the Grand Council has elected Yvonne Hazen as ilKhan!  Long may she reign over our Glory!  Seyla!”

“SEYLA!”

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »

Wow the Ravens voted for a Falcon Khan?! :o

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »

Wow the Ravens voted for a Falcon Khan?! :o

Considering the choice was between a Falcon (a sane Falcon) and a Jaguar (an average brutal Jaguar), well . . . yes.

Master Arminas
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Up