OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases  (Read 86186 times)

Wrangler

• Korporal
Re: Upcoming Releases
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2017, 07:27:32 AM »

Catalyst Game Lab's Facebook page announced that the Battletech Manual and Technical Readout: Succession Wars is coming out in print soon. yay..

Moonsword

• Menig
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »

There's this little tidbit.

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »

There's this little tidbit.

Good looking release list.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #243 on: August 05, 2018, 04:51:13 PM »

So, Shattered Fortress is out in e-copy, suggesting that the Dark Age arcs are finally going to wrap up.

Any thoughts so far?

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »

So, Shattered Fortress is out in e-copy, suggesting that the Dark Age arcs are finally going to wrap up.

Any thoughts so far?

Waiting for the hard copy, but am interested to see what people who have the pdf think.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »

While I am solidly stuck in BattleTech's past forever postulating alternate settings it is nice to see some new products rolling out. Please let me know if any of the new stuff has an impact on us old die hards. ;)

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2018, 03:35:06 AM »

I was about 40 pages in when I went to bed last night and I was left with a conclusion that about three factions are doing well, and none of them have leaders I care for.

The bad karma for the Federated Commonwealth's victories doesn't seem to have worn off for the writers, so House Davion and House Steiner are still getting the crappy end of the stick.

Trace Coburn

• Sergeant
  • Родина и свобода!
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2018, 04:53:29 AM »

After buying and reading Touring the Stars: Tortuga Prime, I find myself revisiting an old puzzle.  I’m mostly thinking out loud here, trying to hash out the sequence of events that led to the birth of arguably the Inner Sphere’s most notorious corsair haven.  Going all the way back to the original Periphery 1e sourcebook, we find their origin story treated to a sparse paragraph:

Quote from: 'FAS1629 The Periphery p.154'
The Tortuga Dominions are a result of the Reunification War ... During the latter stages, the Federated Suns 237th Light Cavalry Regiment was all but destroyed in a wasteful penetration raid against the Taurian outpost of Sterope.  Unable to hold their positions and unwilling to be thrown into the vicious fray elsewhere, the 237th opted to jump outward into the unknown.

And in broad strokes, this matches what we get in the TtS pdf:

Quote from: 'Touring the Stars Tortuga Prime p.4'
The planet was discovered and settled in 2588 by deserters from the AFFS’s 237th Light Cavalry Regiment and their dependents after they fled the Reunification War.

And yet: in a wrap-up of the events of 2587 (including the Battle of Montour), the account of Operation BULL RUN in Historical: Reunification War goes out of its way to declare that Sterope was ‘newly colonised’.  With the SLDF et. al. camped on their doorstep, the TCA wouldn’t — couldn’t! — have had much to spare for garrisoning a remote start-up colony.  (Sterope didn’t reach its status as a major resource and manufacturing hub until well after the War, it would seem.)  The TCN had been all but annihilated at Montour.  The 237th should have had all but a walkover when they hit Sterope — and yet, somehow, an entire regiment got their asses handed to them, to the point where the TtS notes that upon colonising Tortuga Prime, their remaining ’Mech forces were a ‘demi-battalion’.  How did they get such a hiding, and who did the job?
  (There’s also the question of ‘who in Sagan’s name were the 237th Light Cavalry in the first place?’  As far as I can tell, the AFFS didn’t have a Light Cavalry formation before, during, or after the RW, and indeed joining the Star League meant that between donating troops to the SLDF and just plain Cameron-mandated RIFs, they’d just gone through a radical downsizing.  And why did they take their dependents along on what was supposed to be an objective strike?)

There’s also the issue of how the heck did these guys remain a viable menace for so long?  The loss of a mere three of their remaining ’Mechs in 2604 was enough to prompt the overthrow and murder of their then-leader.  I won’t go into the details of the absolute Charlie-Foxtrot that was their civilian ‘economy’ over the ensuing centuries — sorry, folks, you’ll have to buy your own copy to get all the dirt on that part ;) — but there’s no way they should’ve been able to maintain anything resembling modern war-machines, let alone ’Mechs, and yet by the 31st century they’re nearly a regimental-sized force!  Did they somehow steal whole job-lots of replacement ’Mechs from the FS/TC and somehow not get butchered in the process?  How did they not simply wither away, curl up and die within a century of settling Tortuga?  Hoooowwww?

Curse you, FASAnomics!

Developer-in-Chief, Renegade Tech 2.0

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2018, 06:09:17 AM »

A few general comments as someone who really tries to make every bit of canon material count. Many times writers overlook bits and pieces they just don't remember or are too insignificant to weave together not cause they are bad people, they just forget. I am sure it is just an oversight due to human error.

That being said the 'Federated Suns 237th Light Cavalry Regiment' reference you make I am familiar with. My solution here would be to call them an ad hoc unit assembled for the express purpose of raiding the Taurian Concordat during the war. Perhaps staffed with folks who didn't want any part of the SLDF which I can see and perhaps the AFFS didn't want them either. As I recall my history the Federated Suns is just coming out of a Civil War, right? Perhaps these are Mechwarriors whose loyalty is in doubt. From their unit name it sounds like they are a lightweight unit so they'd be ideal as raiders.

The second issue seems to be the importance of Sterope which too me is the easiest to explain. Regardless of what status it held as an outpost or new colony the Taurians really put up a fight. I mean if you are fighting over asteroids in space it seems likely they'd contest a planet of minor importance that falls with in their borders. Marking their defenses up as tough seems to be accurate. Enter our ad hoc raiders I described above and perhaps they aren't as focused on their enemy as they should be. Thinking about their shabby treatment at home and would it take that much resistance to really make them say 'screw this'!

Third their survival into the 31st century is a lot more complex but I am going to chalk it up to lucky banditry. Certainly the SLDF would have wiped them out along the way if they knew their homeworld so I am guessing they never did. Picking their targets well they could have outlasted the Star League and even gotten aid from Amaris (Periphery BattleMech Divisions). From their on out the Succession Wars is a fertile ground for their survival. And the depths that the AFFC had to go to in 3042 to eliminate them indicated they had learned well from their ancient Taurian adversaries.

Hopefully Irose can chime in here, he is my Periphery expert!  ;)

Trace Coburn

• Sergeant
  • Родина и свобода!
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »

A few general comments as someone who really tries to make every bit of canon material count. Many times writers overlook bits and pieces they just don't remember or are too insignificant to weave together not cause they are bad people, they just forget. I am sure it is just an oversight due to human error.

That being said the 'Federated Suns 237th Light Cavalry Regiment' reference you make I am familiar with. My solution here would be to call them an ad hoc unit assembled for the express purpose of raiding the Taurian Concordat during the war. Perhaps staffed with folks who didn't want any part of the SLDF which I can see and perhaps the AFFS didn't want them either. As I recall my history the Federated Suns is just coming out of a Civil War, right? Perhaps these are Mechwarriors whose loyalty is in doubt. From their unit name it sounds like they are a lightweight unit so they'd be ideal as raiders.
  Canonically, the Davion Civil War ended in 2540, more than a generation before the RW started; even if a trooper was freshly-enlisted into the Varnay forces just before they were driven into exile in the CapCon, he’d have been nearing retirement age by the time of the Reunification War.  Checking HB:HD, Roger Varnay tried to return from exile in the CapCon in 2565, but he was intercepted: his naval forces (and their CC ‘volunteer advisors’) were smashed over Kigamboni, and his ground forces (including partisans within the FS itself) were wiped out ‘nearly to a man’ on Wappingers.  The few to escape the massacre spent the rest of their days hiding and fleeing from Prince Alexander’s security forces, and Roger himself fled back to the CC and complete irrelevance, so our hypothetical trooper’s son (if taken during the battle of Wappingers) would be pushing forty by the time of the Sterope debacle.  And Alexander Davion explicitly used the formation of the SLDF to dump a large proportion of the AFFS’ accumulated incompetents, no-hopers and ‘attitude’ problems into olive-drab uniforms, which almost certainly would have included anyone still waving the Varnay banner.
  Don’t get me wrong: for the purposes of my work(s), I’m leaning towards assuming they were Varnayist holdouts.  Indeed, my working theory is that they’re the composite remains of three regiments captured and amalgamated after Wappingers for the AFFS to use as a ‘suicide squad’ of sorts, diehards who never gave up hope of escaping or continuing their fight... even if twenty-three years is still a long-ass time to wait to make their prison-break!  (Either that or they were ex-AFFS troops recruited into privately-sponsored mercenary formations, perhaps ‘household’ formations loyal to the new Duke of New Syrtis — whoever that was in 2587, since Cassandra Davion-Varnay was long dead — that then got amalgamated back into the AFFS as ‘contractors’ or ‘reinforcements’.)  I was just hoping we might find some more canonical data, is all.  :-\

The second issue seems to be the importance of Sterope which too me is the easiest to explain. Regardless of what status it held as an outpost or new colony the Taurians really put up a fight. I mean if you are fighting over asteroids in space it seems likely they'd contest a planet of minor importance that falls with in their borders. Marking their defenses up as tough seems to be accurate. Enter our ad hoc raiders I described above and perhaps they aren't as focused on their enemy as they should be. Thinking about their shabby treatment at home and would it take that much resistance to really make them say 'screw this'!
  Perhaps true... but still, even a regiment of, say, Swordsmans and Wolverines is still a regiment, and to suffer 70% losses against what sounds like militia and fixed defences... God, were they all asleep when the Taurians showed up?  Did they manage to crash their DropShips into each other or something?  Did someone get lucky with a nuke or two?

Third their survival into the 31st century is a lot more complex but I am going to chalk it up to lucky banditry. Certainly the SLDF would have wiped them out along the way if they knew their homeworld so I am guessing they never did. Picking their targets well they could have outlasted the Star League and even gotten aid from Amaris (Periphery BattleMech Divisions). From their on out the Succession Wars is a fertile ground for their survival. And the depths that the AFFC had to go to in 3042 to eliminate them indicated they had learned well from their ancient Taurian adversaries.
  I doubt Amaris would have bothered with Tortuga — too small and unpredictable to be worth bothering with — but in my set-up they have outside assistance from a non-canon state, even to the point of outright donations of massive infrastructure projects and literally millions of slaves.  Not to mention that it’s also been established in-story that many military-production corporations in the IS simply bribe many pirate-groups to leave their assets alone by ‘misplacing’ a company or so of BugMechs their way every few years, since it’s far cheaper than having to wrangle with insurance companies after raiding shenanigans.
  And I wouldn’t put too much weight on the outcome of the 3042 operation by the 9th RCT.  That unit was newly-formed and sent to Tortuga for some ‘live-fire training’.  They were half-trained, under-coordinated and just plain sloppy, and they still cleared the place out, even if it cost them most of a regiment doing it.

Developer-in-Chief, Renegade Tech 2.0

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »

Well they don't have to be Varnay supporters, they could be from one of the other Marches like the Terran March of the Rostovs or the Outworld March. That last March lying so near the Concordat and Tortuga which we know little during the Civil War leaves a lot of possibilities. Could be dissent was never outright crushed here but the formation of the 'Federated Suns 237th Light Cavalry Regiment' may be an effort to deal with distrusted loyal opposition.

Plus the Federated Suns have a proud history of establishing independent regiments. ;)

Taurian defenses were often well thought and is it really hard to believe that the 237th got pure intelligence on Sterope. Who knows what happened from a Concordat warship lying in weight to a well placed nuke? I doubt massive human wave attacks as the population just isn't there for that. Military Outposts serve different functions (listening post, trade forts, etc.) along frontiers throughout history so maybe if you see what Sterope has aside from location (water, food, resources?) you can determine a bit more.

How did Tortoga avoid the Star League anyway? Perhaps the Draconis Combine and/or the Capellan Confederation used Tortuga as a place for Hidden units to strike at the Davion Outback??

Wrangler

• Korporal
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2018, 03:44:53 PM »

It would be nice if the Davion Civil War novel book come out.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »

It would be nice if the Davion Civil War novel book come out.

+1! Is that a thing? Would love to see Alexander Davion squaring off against his rivals for the throne.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2020, 05:21:31 AM »

My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »

Lol, good stuff Dragon Cat! Did everyone see the BattleTech Kickstarter joke? The UrbanMech LAM looked pretty damn good!

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/ftazv3/the_urbanmech_lam_the_future_of_battletech_at/
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up