OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases  (Read 86252 times)

Nerroth

• Korporal
  • Victoria pro Res publica!
Re: Upcoming Releases
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2014, 12:08:20 AM »

the revised Introductory Box Set is now up for pre-order.

TigerShark

• Sergeant
    • MekWars: The Wars of Reaving
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2014, 02:19:39 AM »

28 years later and we're still rehashing 3025. Sigh. How about "3145 Boxed Set?" "Jihad Boxed Set?" "Clan Boxed Set?"

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »

28 years later and we're still rehashing 3025. Sigh. How about "3145 Boxed Set?" "Jihad Boxed Set?" "Clan Boxed Set?"

Because the point of the Introductory Box set is just that, to INTRODUCE people to the core mechanics of the game.
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »

I think there's a fair debate to be made that maybe what is considered the "introductory" point for said box set might need to be re-evaluated. If you're going to push into ever more complex territory with the current timeline material, in terms of rules, then perhaps the intro to standard gap might not need to be a massive chasm. That, or a pretty drastic rules overhaul to step outside of the mid-90's design paradigm that seems to hold back some of CGL's game lines.

I would advise investing heavily in oxygen tank stock if you plan on holding your breath for that second one.
The first one to use the term Dork Age loses.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »

60 bucks maybe too steep to introduce BattleTech to a new generation of fans. I really think they should computerize the RPG ala Mechwarrior and then board gamers can follow.

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »

60 bucks maybe too steep to introduce BattleTech to a new generation of fans. I really think they should computerize the RPG ala Mechwarrior and then board gamers can follow.

And how exactly would they do that without the actual rights to the property itself, let alone the rights for video game versions?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »

It isn't in microsoft's interest or whoever else owns the rights to whatever that will grow the BattleTech universe? It benefits everyone who owns a piece. So gather them together and pitch the idea. I'm not proposing a video game per say like Mechwarrior as much as I am outlining a gaming aide. Computerized hex maps, with to hit values, explained if so desired for players to facilitate BattleTech RPG play. Cap it at company level (small unit) at first and go from there.

JPArbiter

• General
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »

does Microsoft have the liscence to "Gaming Aids" is the question, or is it strictly video games.

I would love to write another Business Article on this, but sadly I have not been able to accrue enough research data on it, despite making written requests to Topps and Microsoft.
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2014, 01:51:55 PM »

does Microsoft have the liscence to "Gaming Aids" is the question, or is it strictly video games.

Rick had to deal with Microsoft and Topps for the HMP license, so I'm guessing yes.

It isn't in microsoft's interest or whoever else owns the rights to whatever that will grow the BattleTech universe? It benefits everyone who owns a piece. So gather them together and pitch the idea.

It's a total guess here, but I'd imagine that CGL has already tried that route. Whether it be limited funds on their part, licensing issue from Topps/MS, or whatever, it clearly hasn't happened to date. Additionally, you already have a similar existing tool in MegaMek, which has to exist in a very weird limbo of fanproject but sorta-kinda-not. MS hasn't seen much value in using that license (beyond the existing MWO and MW:T) to date. I'm not really sure what has changed in the interim.

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea has strong merit. But the application of said idea? I'm not so sure that's a realistic expectation. On top of all of that, such a tool may very well infringe on the HMP license. In an ideal world, that license would be ending and some actual progress could be made on a such a helpful tool. Again, I wouldn't hold your breath. Even SSW has begun to fall behind and run out of steam, largely due to only a single person willing to put in the coding work (and some weird proprietary mindsets from the MM developers). Rick's own situation with HMP seems similar, in regards to available staff and time.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:55:55 PM by Dread Moores »

JPArbiter

• General
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »

the other side of it right now is that Microsofts entertainment softward department falls under the same aegis as Microsofts hardware group, which is regarded with derision by Micosoft Corporate.  This is the department that came up with the Zune and Windows Phone.  only the X Box has really been profitable, and even then under softweare sales only.

unless entertainment software can be ported to the X Box, Microsoft generally isn't interested, at least again from what I have researched.

TigerShark

• Sergeant
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »

Because the point of the Introductory Box set is just that, to INTRODUCE people to the core mechanics of the game.

The core mechanics of the game aren't complex. The units in 3050 don't use elaborate rules; they simply have different effects and range brackets. It's no more difficult to learn than picking up a 4th Edition D&D book and reading/playing. You don't buy 2nd Edition and work your way up, do you?

TigerShark

• Sergeant
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »

Think of it this way. If you were trying to get into Magic: The Gathering, you need to start out with a modern starter deck. One which could use the most recent cards and explains the most recent rulings. The expansions can then be plugged into that deck.

Now what if your gaming store didn't sell any new sets? "The new stuff sucks. I only play with the stuff from 1997." They don't offer a starter deck for the new series; it's all 1997 stuff and reprints. How much do you think think the new expansions would sell? How would a player BECOME interested in them, if no other players even own the sets?

That's what CGL is doing with BattleTech, at the moment. They're spending time/money on an era which has already been covered and calling it "the" starting point for the universe. If you're a new player, you have to start with 3025. And everyone around you still plays 3025. How exactly would you get into the Republic Era, or 3145, or Clan play? Most wouldn't (and don't) bother with it. They go back to what's convenient, easy and nostalgic.

Not saying they SHOULDN'T print a 3025 intro set. Just that a "Dark Age Introductory Set" and "Clan Introductory Set" should be available.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:25:57 PM by TigerShark »

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »

I have been toying with doing a BT to Leviathans style conversion. That would be a fast system that would be easy to use.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »

Just because I think it might be overlooked, but I'm 98.7% sure the Intro Box is set in 3067, just before the start of the Jihad...given the 3067 Map included.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »

So it is Intro tech only in 3067? That's...an even more unusual choice.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up