OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases  (Read 86240 times)

Cestusrex

• Fanjunkare
  • Killing is our business and business is good.
Re: Upcoming Releases
« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »

Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Dread Moores.  I know, I know, you can pick yourself up off the ground now.  It seems that the BT universe of products; table top, video games, etc., is in a major contractual Gordian Knot.  Those can be undone it just takes time, money (lots of money), and parties willing to cooperate (that would be where the piles of money come in handy).  Look at Indian.  It only took 60 or so years to get that property rights hair ball unwound; so see, there's hope.  As for where to start starter sets when they DO get the situation settled?  How about this; every era gets a starter set.  Gasp, that would include the Jihad and Dark Age.  Pick your poison and run with it.  Everybody in your area running around the Terran Hegemony blowing away those would be brake away colonists?  Then jump in with the Star League starter set.  Everybody trying to figure out how to communicate because some toaster worshiping Blakists just nuked half the known universe?  Here's the Jihad starter set.  Oh, and set the price around $30 bucks or so and make the sets expandable like they used to be.  I've still got my City Tech set (somewhere) with its IS mix of a Victor, an Orion, a Centurion, and a Javelin (though the record sheets included the Wolfhound).  Oh, and a unified rules set would be nice, too.  Maybe they could come up with something like a... I don't know what to call it so let's just call it a Compendium.
Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »

I'm not sure the intro box is so era specific as most people think, but it does have a map set before the Jihad. Someone purchasing this set box still has the width & breadth of CGL books available for the entire Jihad, Dark Age, Year of the Star League, etc., without being forced into any specific era. With the MUL, the set is extremely flexible and if it is based circa-3067 ala before the Jihad, but also with a mention of the current timeline, then CGL's (not FanPro or FASA) entire product catalog is still pertinent.

Setting players right before the Jihad (with its proximity to the current year and variety of products) just makes good sense.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »

I'm not sure the intro box is so era specific as most people think, but it does have a map set before the Jihad. Someone purchasing this set box still has the width & breadth of CGL books available for the entire Jihad, Dark Age, Year of the Star League, etc., without being forced into any specific era. With the MUL, the set is extremely flexible and if it is based circa-3067 ala before the Jihad, but also with a mention of the current timeline, then CGL's (not FanPro or FASA) entire product catalog is still pertinent.

Setting players right before the Jihad (with its proximity to the current year and variety of products) just makes good sense.

Agreed. But let's look at this from the mind of a new player. They get introduced through a Demo Agent, let's say. Demo Agent directs them to the boxed set through their FLGS. They get the boxed set, play some games under the intro rules, read a bit on the background and say "Let's go check out ER: 3062 (or whatever year that was) or the Jihad." And then the massive, massive learning gap rears its ugly head. Double heat sinks, going from three lasers to what, nine? Twelve? Four autocannons to 12, 14 with RACs? MASC, stealth armor, everything else. There's nothing in the intro rules that come even close to what you find simply in 3060, let alone the Jihad...or the Dark Age. While I understand the Starterbooks didn't sell and aren't coming back, you are left in the spot of having no "bridging" product. Do you really believe it to be reasonable and new user-friendly to step straight from the the Boxed Set into just Tournament-rules Total Warfare? You have seen Total Warfare, right? And let's be honest for a second here. Gamers love new stuff. They buy it, many times sight unseen, from companies they like. So when New Player Lisa finishes up her 20th battle using the Intro Box, she looks online and hears about this Era Report: 3145. She buys it, and immediately bogs down in a game that feels completely different and outside of what the Intro Box presented. Heck, let's make it even simpler, setting aside the massive, massive differences from Intro Box to 3145. Let's just go from Intro Box to ER: 3052. Ideally, ER: 3052, as a product on its own, should step New Lisa through the progression to be prepared to look into the tome that is Total Warfare.

But that presumes a great deal. That presumes New Lisa came into the game through an Agent, or found advice on the forums or social media to be specifically directed towards ER: 3052. What happens when the new player runs into one of the many grognards on those forums who says "Don't bother with anything beyond 3025?" Or they don't find the stepping stone product like 3052, and just grab up Total Warfare. Or a million other variations. So, Starterbooks don't sell. And we have a box set pushing a timeline focus close to the start of the Jihad. Why can't said boxed set simply be adapted to say "Here's what we're going to use as our introductory point now. Here's the 3050 Phoenix designs, and the simple rules for them. BTW, if you want some more info on a less complicated, but still highly active, period of raid-based warfare, check out ER: 3039 and the Introductory rules style. Or, if you want a more nuanced and complex timeline point just in the middle of massive interstellar war, pick up Jihad: Blake Ascending, or ER: 3145."

What exactly do you lose with a "3050/Level 2" starting point, to use an old term? You can absolutely gain from it, by keeping the learning curve post-Intro Box smaller while still offering all the same readily available access to the simpler Intro-rules level 3025 environment. I really think it's time to rethink exactly what that Boxed Set is created for. Is it simply another product to sell to the existing userbase, so the vets can have more minis cheap? Or is this really a product meant to bring a new player out of the shadows, get them on the table, and have them look at the newest product (that more likely than not, is going to be past the year 3050)? If it's the latter, I really think the implementation needs to be re-evaluated.
The first one to use the term Dork Age loses.

Abele

• General
  • A Man in a Tin Suit
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2014, 08:15:01 AM »

For those who did pre-orders for the new Introductory Box Set they are now shipping. I received mine Saturday morning.
The Honor of Men cannot be bound by the words of Fools- Marco Hietala
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Chaos doesn't need a recipe, just a list of ingredients. - Drakensis
Kachi ni Fushigi no Kachi Ari. Make ni Fushigi no Make Nashi
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of Doom™®©

Ken

• Bethlens' Irregulars
  • Hexare Grenadier
  • Fanjunkare
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »

does Microsoft have the liscence to "Gaming Aids" is the question, or is it strictly video games.

They have the license for non location-based software. Virtual World has the one for location-based software.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »

Speaking of upcoming releases it appears as though a Historical First Succession War or Early Succession War is in development according to TPTB. Thoughts??

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

I for one am looking forwards to it.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »

I for one am looking forwards to it.

Same here see just how savage the succession lord units got
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »

Pretty savage...
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Volt

« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »

i hope there will be maps. I already have an inkling on the savagery from looking at the housebook maps, but wow, you guys should look at the numbers of worlds lost.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

i hope there will be maps. I already have an inkling on the savagery from looking at the housebook maps, but wow, you guys should look at the numbers of worlds lost.

A before and after would look good or maybe a map with destroyed by/how

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »

This, sir, would take too many pages.  :D

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »

This, sir, would take too many pages.  :D

Shame that an interactive map like the one WizKids did for the DA at the start would be cool too

The Nova Cats being declared ilClan wouldn't go a miss either (more wishful thinking)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:38:23 PM by Dragon Cat »

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »

my preffered Dark Horse is still the Wolverines.
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2014, 01:34:18 AM »

No, has to be the Marlette Association, those bastards have been hiding since before the BattleMech was invented, biding their time and making their plans.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Up