OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: TA 2785: Infantry of the 28th Century  (Read 25817 times)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: TA 2785: Infantry of the 28th Century
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

What about engineers/Stosstrupen units?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »

I was thinking of Hostile/Toxic Enviroment troops. Someone adept at working in nuclear/biological/chemical zone.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »

Volcano troopers?

Hammer6R

• Korporal
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »

....How did I miss this? I must have been distracted...

I did post something akin to this in the RPG section, but without going into that, for 2785AD I would think that every state out there (with a few exceptions) would have infantry equipment modeled largely on the SLDF:

* In the TH, that's a no-brainer -- SLDF and HAF leftovers (functionally the same thing) should be literally lying around on the ground, with a large admixture of RWR gear recovered and reused by guerrillas.

* I think the Combine infantry would be the closest to 3025, overall, as they are the most conservative of the bunch.

* The Lyran infantry are going to have gear almost the equal of the SLDF/HAF, and in some cases, surpassing it.

* The Leaguers and Suns will be fairly baseline, two or three steps down from the SLDF/HAF, like the Kuritans, but somewhat gaudier and less functional...Remember, there has been c.200 years of 'mostly peace' -- even with police actions, military mindsets tend to ossify rapidly when not in use.

* The Confederation will have the widest variety of forms, ranging from small units (battalion- to regiment-sized) at the SLDF/HAF levels, to hordes of division-sized clouds of raw infantry armed with a STEN Gun-equivalent...they might even have hand grenades and "uniforms" of headbands or t-shirts if they are seen as "loyal".

* Outside of the RWR and the Taurians, I doubt that the Periphery states will spend that much on their infantry -- they'll have a lot of it, certainly, but the OA doesn't like standing armies to begin with, and the Canopians are far more concerned with spending thin budgets (tourism has GOT to have fallen off with all the fighting) on battlemechs.

* The Taurians will be in transition, replacing SLDF gear with native equipment as fast as they can, probably doing division-scale straight-across handover and replacement (troops march to the depot, clean their old weapons and gear, hand them in to Armory and Supply, then check out new weapons and gear at the warehouse/armory next door). The ex-SLDF gear will then be sold, giving Taurian Citizens first pick -- the Taurians believe in making lots of heavy weapons available to their Citizens since they're pretty sure that said weapons are going to be aimed at anyone landing who shouldn't be.

* RWR guerrillas will be carrying a mix of RWR and SLDF gear.

---------------------

[[Note that I am rather disparaging towards the Confederation...What I'm writing about them also applies to the militia units of every state - the Capellans just seem to have always fielded a far greater number of 'ad hoc' militia-type units]]

As a baseline, the infantryman of 2785 will have:

- a uniform (at higher levels, this will incorporate a GORTEX-like liquid-resistant layer to aid in NBC defense; you'd be amazed at what can pass for a 'uniform')
- a pair of sturdy boots
- a rifle, with about 200-300 rounds, or power cells for an equivalent number of shots
- body armor (maybe - about 40% of Confederation infantry probably won't) of some kind
- a helmet (at the high end, it will include a built-in gas mask; mid-range will allow a mask to either fit over it, or be attached to it; or, the troops will carry the mask separately, and will have to doff the helmet to put it on...unless they are either lazy, badly-led support troops or 40-50% of Confederation infantry)
- some kind of harness to hang magazine pouches and other gear from (if they have armor, it will be built into the armor's exterior)
- a pocket knife
- a utility knife
- a very shiny - and sharp - bayonet (more for intimidating civilians than harming troops)
- at least one 1-qt/2-liter water bottle, either of food-grade plastic or cheap metal (at higher levels, there will be a replaceable activated-charcoal filter in the neck; lower-tech forces will use purification tablets or hand-/gravity-pumped small unit-sized (squad to platoon) filter tanks)
- some kind of mess kit
- some kind of rain gear (serape, hooded poncho, zeltbahn, or a full rain suit)
- a large rucksack (emphasis on sack, if you're in the Confederation), likely with a waterproof layer
- a sleeping bag of some kind (or a blanket if you're really low tech)
- In decent regular forces (....) every trooper will have a personal comm-unit. These will be 'frequency-hoppers', that shift their signals across 5-20 separate channels at a time, to cut down on enemy radio intercepts. Channels and algorithms will be changed anywhere from every 2-5 hours to two or three times a month.
- Any regular or better unit will have at least infrared night goggles for its troops; higher tech forces will have 'light amplifier' goggles that do not require an external IR light to work....

.....That's what I can think of right now......
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:26:40 PM by Hammer6R »
I drank what?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »

Well glad you found it Hammer6R! Some good thoughts on general all around infantry notes. Can you think of any specialized types in a TRO3085 way?

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 07:37:05 AM »

I would think the FWL would enjoy the most variation in their infantry composition and supply given the number of competing states.

Also Resolution 288 has either just been implemented or has yet to be implemented - so federal control and/or standardization of equipment will years away. I think you'd find more diverse quality here rather than the CC...

Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »

Interesting KM, different regional infantry might make sense with the FWL.

My thoughts dwell on the Capellan Confederation and infantry. Life is cheap and for a poor nation like Liaos a military based on the common soldier might make the most sense. From the Home Guard Militia that make up the bulk of the CCAF to the more specialized elite troopers of the Liao Rangers I can see a massive number of conscripts. Almost Soviet or Mao like with an AK style assault rifle known for its ruggedness not sophistication.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »

Interesting KM, different regional infantry might make sense with the FWL.

My thoughts dwell on the Capellan Confederation and infantry. Life is cheap and for a poor nation like Liaos a military based on the common soldier might make the most sense. From the Home Guard Militia that make up the bulk of the CCAF to the more specialized elite troopers of the Liao Rangers I can see a massive number of conscripts. Almost Soviet or Mao like with an AK style assault rifle known for its ruggedness not sophistication.

That's probably very close to the truth. Given the CC's preference for human wave attacks during the Jihad and the callousness in which the Chancellor uses his subjects, I don't expect Capellan Infantry to be "expensive" units.

With the FWL quality would be determined by provincial requirements. Like I said, federalization of the FWLM at this point is either a minor component or just being instituted/reorganized beyond the norm with the passage of Resolution 288.

That being said, I expect some of the best infantry to come from Andurien, with some of the worst hailing from Regulus. I would place the remaining big states somewhere in the middle.

I would also reevaluate your descriptions of the LC's infantry branch. The Lyrans love building and buying "heavy" equipment, i.e. 'Mechs, tanks, etc. - material with some longevity and power to it. Infantry are cheap and "light." From what I've read about the LC during the Succession Wars and their use of infantry, I'd place their equipment right in the middle between the CC and FWL's best. There's also the fact that the LCAF is rife with fraud and laundering of all sorts. With plenty of LC quartermasters and officers lining their pockets with the profits of illegal war material sales. Dumping small & medium arms is a quick way to earn a dishonest S-Bill...

With DC, I would consider the DCMS treatment and troop equipment above the CC, but below that of the LC. The DC was well known for using Chain Gang units and prisoners as infantry cannon fodder. With that in mind, I would expect the DCMS to treat their infantry with mild disdain - satisfied in the knowledge that regardless of outfit, they have the honor or motivation to perform as expected.

Of the five major Houses (IMO) I would expect the AFFS to enjoy the best infantry standard across the board. While other states have exceptions to the rule - I believe the majority of the AFFS's infantry to be the best outfitted and supplied.
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 03:04:19 PM »

And Periphery infantries?

lrose

• General
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »

KM-
with regards to the FWL- it is worth noting in HMSB p.114 that the FWL's laser rifles are said to be inferior to those of the LC or DC (at least in 3025).  I suspect that the equipment assigned to the LC troops may be superior (technically) but that equipment is more plentiful in the FWL.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »

And Periphery infantries?

That is beyond the scope of this project Ice but I'll leave the subject open for discussion. I might go on about the Terran Republic but it is the same thing. Threat Assessments includes only the five Great Houses of the InnerSphere not the Terran Republic or the Periphery.

That being said, I expect some of the best infantry to come from Andurien, with some of the worst hailing from Regulus. I would place the remaining big states somewhere in the middle.

Could you explain why KM? Regulus does have a fine martial tradition from what I can recall although they are just coming out of a federal occupation. Are you implying that proximity to a threat (in this case Liao) has something to do with it? Why wouldn't Oriente be the best?

I would also reevaluate your descriptions of the LC's infantry branch. The Lyrans love building and buying "heavy" equipment, i.e. 'Mechs, tanks, etc. - material with some longevity and power to it. Infantry are cheap and "light." From what I've read about the LC during the Succession Wars and their use of infantry, I'd place their equipment right in the middle between the CC and FWL's best. There's also the fact that the LCAF is rife with fraud and laundering of all sorts. With plenty of LC quartermasters and officers lining their pockets with the profits of illegal war material sales. Dumping small & medium arms is a quick way to earn a dishonest S-Bill...

Interesting thoughts. I would say that the Lyran infantry force is likely equipment dependent. Foot soldiers is not likely to be a component of the Commonwealth Line. Mechanized and Jump Infantry sure but in spite of their motive advantage over other infantries I'd say they are still lumbering and slow. I see them as a weapon heavy force with field artillery, support weapons, and all sorts of industrial goodies. I might even nickname them "Mules" cause of all the garbage they have to carry. Corruption could likely be a significant problem and interest in serving may be the lowest among the Successor States.

With DC, I would consider the DCMS treatment and troop equipment above the CC, but below that of the LC. The DC was well known for using Chain Gang units and prisoners as infantry cannon fodder. With that in mind, I would expect the DCMS to treat their infantry with mild disdain - satisfied in the knowledge that regardless of outfit, they have the honor or motivation to perform as expected.

Of the five major Houses (IMO) I would expect the AFFS to enjoy the best infantry standard across the board. While other states have exceptions to the rule - I believe the majority of the AFFS's infantry to be the best outfitted and supplied.

I would agree with you on both of these assessments KM. Chain Gangs are still 40+ years off but your right on. They maybe looked down on by the other branches but their service is appreciated. I would add thoughts on regionalism to the AFFS which plagues the organization.

KM-
with regards to the FWL- it is worth noting in HMSB p.114 that the FWL's laser rifles are said to be inferior to those of the LC or DC (at least in 3025).  I suspect that the equipment assigned to the LC troops may be superior (technically) but that equipment is more plentiful in the FWL.

Wow, I was going to have the Marik Assault Rifle of choice at this time be an energy weapon.

Col. Chiang

• Persevering Archon
  • Menig
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 01:12:22 AM »

Something worth noting as well is that basic loadouts are going to change depending upon the unit's role.

As an example, airborne infantry is going to be carrying a lighter load than mechanized infantry due to the fact that there is a practical limit to what a parachute can slow down enough to avoid broken bones.  Since an airborne trooper will need to carry extra ammunition on his person compared to a mechanized one (no handy IFV to help carry extra), he will skimp elsewhere on weight.  Look for the mechanized trooper to be wearing heavier body armor, for example.

There're probably a thousand-and-one little differences, but it would probably be easiest to give "standard" loads for mechanized (or motorized)infantry, leg infantry, airborne infantry, jump infantry, special operations infantry, and anti-'Mech versions of each.  Or to give one "standard" load and simply note the variations for each type.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »

KM-

I'd also keep in mind that you're comparing a 3025 FWL to a 2785 FWL - probably not the best example to use considering the 100+ year difference in time. It's like saying the modern infantryman has anything in common (equipment wise) with their mid-19th century counterpart.

By common I'm referring to the "actual" equipment - not the fact that he has a uniform, a gun, etc.

Could you explain why KM? Regulus does have a fine martial tradition from what I can recall although they are just coming out of a federal occupation. Are you implying that proximity to a threat (in this case Liao) has something to do with it? Why wouldn't Oriente be the best?

Prior to the SWs Regulus has had issues with the Mariks etc. - that continues to this day. However, before 2785 the province had been under scrutiny for a long, long time. Between the mandates of the Star League, conflicting Provincial and Federal interests and what Regulus has been known to produce - I'd think they'd treat their infantry closer to the DC standard.

As for Andurien, as opposed to Oriente - these worlds have suffered the worst fighting prior to 2785. The Andurien worlds were certainly the most contested between the CC and FWL (possibly having been mentioned in more sourcebooks than any other pre-Star League conflict.) Additionally, throughout the long years of the Succession Wars the Defenders of Andurien had a reputation for being tough, crack troops. Given the ferocity in which the Andurien's defended their homes against the CC in three wars, a tough reputation and (before the fall) intense loyalty to the FWL - I'd say the leaders of Andurien took great pride in their infantry fighting man/woman. They probably went to great lengths to outfit their troops with the best material available.

Whereas I look at the Ducal and Noble bent of Oriente and Marik as way more feudal in orientation and therefore composition. True, feudalism is rampant throughout the Successor States, these two seem more likely to let noble pretense "infect" their military and its material composition. 

I would agree with you on both of these assessments KM. Chain Gangs are still 40+ years off but your right on. They maybe looked down on by the other branches but their service is appreciated. I would add thoughts on regionalism to the AFFS which plagues the organization.

Be careful with adding regionalism to the AFFS so soon. The Davion Civil War did much to (if not totally) eradicate dangerous regionalism in the Suns. Remember, Prince Alexander avoided joining the Star League for a few extra year so he could ensure his nation was solid and strong before joining the alliance. The Civil War created a solid, lean mean AFFS fighting machine - one that would then enter the Reunification War. After the RW ended, it's 150+ years of peace. Even the DC's invasion of the Suns is an attack by an outside aggressor - there's nothing better to help shore up those fraternal bonds than an outside aggressor.

It's really the devastating SWs that start (re)creating those regional cracks. I don't think there was a single person armed with foresight as to exactly how bad the SWs were going to be. That creates a lot of finger pointing - as in who's to blame?

So I wouldn't bank on regionalism being a factor in 2785, but in 3025 - you bet! (Cripes, even after the First Succession War there's an argument for it in places like the Draconis March.) 

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, 07:09:43 PM »

Mechanizing Infantry. While contemplating a new dropship design that carries large numbers of motorized/mechanized infantry I started to think what actually moves them and does it fit. Such infantry platoon crucibles mass 7 tons the most mass per infantry types. Jump infantry platoons mass 6 tons, although there is 21 soldiers here as opposed to 28, and we know that they have special jump packs that facilitate their movement around the battlefield. Foot infantry has no exotic transport as a 28 man platoon weighs only 5 tons to transport via spacecraft.

Well all this got me thinking what mechanizes these infantry? A 50 ton hover Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) or Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) seem out of the question. Even 30 ton helicopters (I know this is probably not mechanized infantry rather air cavalry) seem to weigh too much. You got 2 tons per infantry platoon to work with. So what moves all 28 of them at that rate? Scooters? Motorcycles? Hoversleds?

It is an interesting topic for this thread in particular cause mechanized infantry is likely the Frontline Standard at this time. Discuss!

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 05:21:11 AM »

According to TRO 3085, Mechanised Infantry units use:
- micro-copters,
- hover bikes,
- fast vehicles,
- small hovercrafts,
- light tanks,
- fast armoured vehicles,
- engineering vehicles,
- mechanised carriers,
- mechanised transports,
- personal hovercrafts,
- Harpoon para subs.

It seems that their vehicles range can carry anything between 1 person to 5 (Harpoon para subs).

It could be a question of fluff: recon Mechanised units use small hover bikes while Mechanised Field Artillery units use bigger vehicles.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up