OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2500kgm3's custom terrain and Mechwarrior Online style miniatures.  (Read 31613 times)

2500kgm3

• Menig

I have been working on some gaming mats for a local wargaming club. I started working on cloth playing surfaces because I was sick of watching them play flames of war in a lush green field while forces more suited to the Russian steppes were clashing. I noticed there were not many stores selling mats beyond 1:28 and volunteered to work on something that worked in 1/100 scale. I dusted off my little knowledge of photoshop and came up with these two images: a muddy, war-torn area and a frozen battlefield, for someone whose soviet troops had snow as a main element in their basing. To be printed in 100dpi, 120*180cm.

Then, people from the club started asking me for other mats, such as a sea map for Sails of Glory and several city maps for games in the 28mm range. There are some out there, but I guess they liked having mats tailor-made to their specifications for free instead of buying commercially available ones. No, I'm not shocked either xD

One of the 28mm mats was themed in near-future zombie dystopia, so I went for the standard city planning style you find in modern european areas or american cities. The second one was intended for a World War Two ruleset, so I went for an old european city style of planning, no roadmarks, and included paved areas easily turned into ruins by adding just one or two broken wall fragments, in addition to extending the sidewalks for intact buildings as usual. I pushed to 150dpi in these, 120*180 cm as well.

And now, someone asked me to create a map for Battletech. I've never played myself (I have always been deeply tempted by the universe and the genre, but I find the quality of the plastics really lacking. Turn the Mechwarrior Online models into plastic battletech miniatures and you will have my money, game company!) but since I've been playing Mechwarrior Online since open beta started, I was dying for such a commission. The catch was the person who asked plays in a weird scale, so his hexes are twice as big as those in the usual mapsheets. 30*30 or so hexes are the most a table can fit in that scale

Since I know most people in the gaming club use standard size hexagons, however, and I'd hate to design something only one person would find any use to instead to providing for the whole club, I decided to design a map 60*60 hexes in size anyway, at 300dpi and cut it in four, so the club can use it while the person playing at twice the scale can print it whole at 150dpi and either have a huge map 300*360cm in size or choose any of the four quadrants to print, getting four differen mats instead of the single one he asked for. That meant going the extra mile with detail so the scaled-up 150dpi 30*30 hex mats don't feel lacking, while avoiding things so small that would be lost when printing at standard size.

As usual, only ground level features are... featured. Any mountains or buildings are to be added by the players in the form of 3d scenery as they see fit. This is only a canvas to make the table pop with as little effort as possible (and incorporating the hex grid into the playing field)

I was given little direction by the club member who asked for the mat regarding the lore of the planet he intended to fight for, so I went for a small colony, an agricultural one with little value and limited infrastructure. Mainly farming grounds with some very small industrial areas and population centres.

I decided I wanted at least two groups of buildings connected by a road system. I thought one of them could be an industrial area taking advantage of a river to dump waste and distribute cargo. Or maybe the water in this world has some component the industries extract and export.

The second one could have originated organically around a small spaceport. Not a big spaceport, barely enoug for a Leopard to land, but capable to receive and launch cargo to orbit. This spaceport is be the main hub where technology, luxury goods and spare pieces for machinery would come in in exchange for foodstuffs and whatever the industry extracts from the water. The planet has low population, but the hypothetical thing that makes it worth fighting for provides money for good infrastructures.

The industrial river area, the spaceport area and whatever other important places scattered over the planet surface would need to be connected by a motorway, while the rest of the zones would have a much more humble road network, shrinking progresively up to a single lane for farmland.

Said farmland would also need a network of irrigation conducts bringing water from the river. That's something I had not thougt about until I started writing this summary, but it feelt mandatory. I went for an open-topped look, in the style of the irrigation networks built in Spain during the muslim occupation. They were a ground breaking innovation back in the day and are still in use, nearly one thousand years later.

I intended to design the two populaton centres in ways that encourage different playstyles. The spaceport lanes, in the south, will be an open area surounded by buildings, while the industrial area, in the north, will be smaller and tighter, with buildings located in the centre of its quadrant, surounded by open space.

The other two quadrants will be much simpler. Farmland for the first, with no features past some roads, hoping the players will add mountains to the open spaces. The last quadrant will be similar, but a river will be splitting it in two, hopefully encouraging players to aproach it in a different way.

I am by no means a photoshop wizard. I barely used it during my education beyond the most elementary photo manipulation. Anything I do is new for me. (I had no clue of how to create a water surface for the river, for instance) so I was learning on the fly following any online tutorials I deemed suitable for this proyect. In addition, working with files this big (180*150 cm at 300dpi) is not something my computer can easily handle, and the "2gig max psd file size" limitation prevented me from working in a single psd file, forcing me to split several layers as individual files.

In the end, here it is: Full gaming surface:

Some closer shots:

And finally, some detail shots:

I was pretty proud of it.

Then I finally got around to get the mat printed and build some scenery for it:

I painted a small part of the scenery in order to see if my planned paint scheme worked and my terrain propperly fit the mat colours:

I was really afraid my mountains would clash with the color of the mat, but I was pretty happily surprised with the results. Then I got around to paint all the buildings I created to fill the paved areas on the gaming surface. Here they are, waiting for a layer of varnish. I'm trying shiny varnish on the buildings. Maybe it ends up looking ok.

So... here it is: all the scenery I built, on a quarter of the whole gaming surface I designed.

It is obvious I did not build enough scenery for the whole gaming surface. Buildings and mountains barely fill the big city. They make this portion of the full mat pretty playable (It's equivalente to 4 standard battletech maps), but I won't have enough scenery to play with 2 to 4 times the ammount of gaming mats, the full gaming surface.

I'd like to add some forests but these hexes are already tight to fit a miniature base. I don't really know if it would be feasible due to the lack of space to get something built that was sturdy and durable as hell (thats my priority when it comes to scenery) If you have any ideas, I am all ears.

In the end, unless I build more and more scenery, I am quite confident that I won't be able to play with the full mat, but I feel a single quarter of the mat is a pretty good surface to play, and that gives me four different surfaces to play on. If I ever try to build more buildings, I might make a tutorial out of it, but I am pretty tired of building scenery by now and would like to let it go for some time, specially as I have enough to play comfortably.

After that I started working on my miniatures, since I did not have any battlemech yet!

I decided my mercenary company, the Tyrant's Tercio, would be in this scheme:

I started with a Cicada. Then a Locust:

The Locust is clearly a bit on the bigger side, but I can live with it. As you can see, my painting style goes for a cartoony look, instead of ultra-realistic finishing.

I added a Spider:

And my scout lance was completed by adding a Jenner:

You may have noticed that the bases are designed in a way to make them fit with the other mechs when in formation. In this way:

I have planned a full company, with three lances of 230 tons each, with one mech of each weight class in each lance, so there are more to come. I found it an interesting math exercice. Most mechs should be "common" in Marik space, with some exotic additions to the company. I plan to be updating this thread with my progress in the future.
Here is my latest: a trebuchet.

I hope you can enjoy my painting style. I wanted to paint something heavier, so the next mech will be a 75 tonner!

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: 2500kgm3's custom terrain and Mechwarrior Online style miniatures.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »

Wow, a bunch of stuff here.

Great terrain, wish I could buy some of it off ya.

Like your Mechs as well - any background on your unit? Didn't recognize the Trebuchet.

2500kgm3

• Menig
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »

Great terrain, wish I could buy some of it off ya.

Like your Mechs as well - any background on your unit? Didn't recognize the Trebuchet.

I did not consider selling any. Shipment and such would be problematic.
And, to be honest, the trebuchet did not fare well when redesigned for Mechwarrior Online xD

When I thought about painting battlemechs and assembling a company, the very first thing I did was writing some short paragraph to start defining the character and colours of my mercenaries. It helped me to find a name and paintjob I liked and tie it to the background of my unit..

Many children were only eight years old when the Viscount of Lentia took them from their starving families, in order to have them fed, given an education, and indoctrinated into willing members of his personal guard.

Lost in one of the many planets of the Free Worlds League, the territory controlled by the Viscount was ruled with an iron fist, as the ruling family was barely interested in anything beyond extracting all the wealth that could be had from a land lacking any value.

Propperly brainwashed and enjoying a life of luxury, those stolen kids fortunate enough to survive the training and join the Viscount's Tercio commited atrocities against the civilian population, keeping order using streams of coherent light and machinegun fire from the cockpit of their battlemechs. Inside closed doors, when the opressed population felt safe enough from the viscount's men to be bold, the tercio was known by a less flattering name: "The Tyrant's Hounds".

But cruelty rarely ends with the hunger for freedom, and after many unsuccessful attempts, the Anton Marik revolt inspired an insurrection that finally took the life of the viscount and his family. Cunningly coordinated, a miriad of explosive traps and ambushes allowed the population to spill the blood of its opressor, and took a good part of his army with him. Barracks and government buildings exploded in unison. It was a day of joy.

With the rioting population clamoring for their heads and after the death of the lord they had sworn to protect, some members of the Tercio who managed to avoid the carnage and evacuate the planet painted battlemechs of the viscount's personal guard they had took with them in black, leaving only a vertical strip of the orange paint that once had covered them completely. Becoming mercenaries seemed the only viable option. The Tyrant's Tercio was born.

- - - - - - - - -

So, in short, my unit is the remnants of the army of a tyrant who invested heavily on military power both as a fetish and as a way to keep the general population under control. His mech collection was mostly inherited from his family, which has ruled the place for some time. Its army was kept away from most large scale conflicts by smart clerical wizardry that classified most of them as lost, non-functional, or essential to supress the civil unrest that threatened the regime.

They are cruel. They have been trained their whole life to be merciless and supress those below them, as ordered, so they developed no empathy for civilians, enemies of bystanders. And they are little short of egomaniacs. They have been told all their lives they are better than the population they opressed. They lived in luxury while the people starved. They had been chosen. They had survived the training, they were the closed fist of the viscount. They were special.

And those peasants took it all from them.

They believe themselves to be elite (despite having no experience in mech battle beyond harassing unarmed rioters and crowd control) and they are proud of belonging to the Viscount's Tercio, even after failing in their only duty: to protect the ruler. As mercenaries, they embraced the popular nickname "Tyrant's hounds", turning themselves into the Tyrant's Tercio, and covered most of their mech in black as reminder of what they see as their only failure. The only thing these monsters are ashamed of.

I'm not certain they will be able to stay alive until the clans arrive. Most are too green, too bloodthirsty and too overconfident to survive in a real battlefield. They will probably even be troublesome in simple garrison contracts, the only thing they would be qualified for, due to their contempt for civilians. And their pride will not be an asset when negotiating pay rates. They are doomed. 

But I feel it's a concept worth exploring. What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:32:32 AM by 2500kgm3 »

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 06:29:11 AM »

I feel like these guys are destined to set up their own bandit kingdom somewhere. As mercenaries there is always someone interested in maintaining order somewhere around the InnerSphere so plenty of job opportunities. Employers knowing of their history might not trust them but that could be expected. You may have them doomed in your mind bud but their future could work out if you so chose especially in the short run. Dumb luck could have them stumble into some sort of positive combat experience. A competent planetary militia versed in tactics and strategy could tax them during a campaign without destroying them or another inept mercenary command might get stuck in a struggle for life and death with them. And Mechwarriors thinking they are the elite is nothing new in BattleTech - it gets lost in a game where everybody who plays is a MechWarrior but when it comes down to it there really ain't that many compared to the amount of humans in existence game wise.

2500kgm3

• Menig
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:21:24 AM »

Who knows? I really like the colour scheme, so I'd like the unit to stay alive and functional, but I know me and, as a player, I don't expect to win any games. Playing as a bunch of losers fits me pretty well xD

In general, in fiction I like run of the mill stories. The life of small everyday mercenary companies. No lucky star league caches, no long lineague dating back to Kerensky's time. The Wolf's Dragoons are way too big, have way too much lower for me to enjoy their stories. I'm much more interested in the Wilson's Hussars of this world.

In fact, if I ever build a second company (which I'd love to do) I would face a hard decision regarding how to paint them. Representing a different unit? Could I keep the scheme and have them represent the growth of the Tyrant's Tercio? That would be great from a gameplay perspective to give myself more options, but having these morons thrive and double in strengh feels to me like a stretch. even more so including mechs past 3050 or even salvaged clan mechs (I considered buiding a binary instead of a company). The stars might align and they could be very lucky, but I like to refrain from taking any step that would drive me any closer to "my pet unit is the best one ever and has fought and won in every major war" narratives that are so common in bad fanfiction. I'm really afraid of my ability to handle that slippery slope.

In other news, I finally but something in the heavier side of the tonnage spectrum. I was craving for a "propper" mech that could give the enemies something to fear. Therefore I present to you my first Heavy mech. I hope Kerensky himself would be proud.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »

Very nice Orion!

While I do appreciate the big units (Wolf Dragoons) and the long lived ones (Eridani Light Horse) the gritty scrappers have their place for me as well. Our home brew units (Samurai's Wrath, Blackstar Avengers, Murat's Marauders, Nightmares, and the Wolverines/Chaos Dragons) tend to be more of whacky adventurers then more established commands (Regulators, SOAR, Shadow Brigade) that we have created.

2500kgm3

• Menig
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:35:33 AM »

Mi dear battletech enthusiasts. Allow me to wish an awesome new year for you all.

So, we finally got the first assault mech in the company painted! Did anybody ask for some heavy direct fire support?

I went for green PPC cannons because I had no blue paint available and I like to keep the amount of colours in a miniature as low as I can. What do you think about it? Do green PPCs put you off?

By the way, where could I find more about your homebrew units?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »

Very nice, I was just looking into the Awesome and InnerSphere wise I gotta say I love the AWS-9Q with 4 PPCs. Slow and steady.

The green works fine especially with the colors. I know most folks go with blue lightning effects probably cause of the old MechWarrior video game. Also remember that yellow and blue make green so ;)

Let me find a link (see below). I never did finish posting Robert Takiro's personal logs, maybe I will now.

https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?topic=3047.0

BootDisk

• Menig
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »

Do you take commissions?  I have multiple large maps I would like made, and I am very impressed with your work.

And, I love that Awesome.  Its awesome.

2500kgm3

• Menig
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:10:01 AM »

During the last weeks I built and painted a Wolverine, closing my medium mech bracket and second lance.

Only four mechs to go; two heavies, two assault, as you can see in my carrying case (a case which I nicknamed "the dropship", of course):

I'd also love to make some lance photos in terrain, but since I have nowhere to display them home, I'll wait until the company is completed and take pictures with scenery at my job during the lunch break.

Let me find a link (see below). I never did finish posting Robert Takiro's personal logs

I did fit 4 ppcs into my Mechwarrior Online AWS 8Q. Nearly overheating for 40 points of damage to a single location can be fun xD

I am intrigued. About your logs. Spider pilots are an interesting group! They have to be, to ride a mech they can't eject from! It all reads like a role-playing campaign, with many plot hooks left there to explore. I like it a lot, (although it would be less daunting with some formatting. I understand the aesthetic imperative of having dates represented by a wall of text, but it does not help when reading)
What our protagonist expect in the clan Ghost Bear occupation zone?

Do you take commissions?  I have multiple large maps I would like made, and I am very impressed with your work.

Regarding commisions... are you refering to the map images? Those took quite a long time to do but, to be honest, I was considering redoing them all, from scratch, in order to double the ammount of maps (eight) and making the whole sistem modular, instead of the maps only fitting in a certain position. Its a pretty large enterprise however, very early in the design stage, and I can't estimate a completition date (a year from now with some luck? No idea)

If your idea is cool enough, however, maybe I could become obsessed by it and either incorporate it into that "hexmats 2.0" project or even dump it for an even more awesome idea.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:14:06 AM by 2500kgm3 »

2500kgm3

• Menig
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »

I managed to sneak some pictures while my wife and daughter were away from home.

A reinforced lance takes a spaceport in a city, while two lights scout beyond looking for any nasty surprises.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »

Wow, very nice!

2500kgm3

• Menig
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »

Thanks

I added a Catapult to the roster!

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 09:57:25 PM »

Another beauty, LRM-20 racks?

2500kgm3

• Menig
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 10:09:44 AM »

As many missiles as you can fit. Why not xD?

I finished my last havy mech: a Thunderbolt!

Only two assault mechs to go and my mercenary company will be completed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up