OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Field Manual AU: 3028  (Read 12606 times)

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
Re: Field Manual AU: 3028
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 05:19:12 PM »

I have GIMP and I don't really have an issue editing individual pieces or work (the quality of my work is another matter). My real issue is finding a program to compile the work in, as I said I just have this in a Word document but its not very friendly for making something of this scale. Off the suggestions of a friend and co-worker of mine I tried a website editor (iWeb) because you can print to PDF. I tinkered around but have abandoned it because I can't find a way to get multiple pages in the PDF document to line up correctly (pixels don't line up with whatever adobe uses in PDFs apparently) so unless I can find a way to merge multiple PDF files into one I'll have to find another program to utilize, I attached the beginnings of what I was tinkering with (most of Clan Fire Mandrill) I liked it because it looked fairly decent imo (pulled the borders from Reunification War) and would reduce the size of the document.

...Uh-oh - sounds like that's going to impact my project too.  I have multiple word files, kept separate to prevent accidents, and was going to turn them in to one MASSIVE file before saving as .PDF.  Would that work for you?

Because my copy of Word won't save as .PDF, somebody mentioned Openoffice.org(?) for me to add margin art and sidebars.  ...Maybe ask Knightmare to look at the problem.  After all, they've done some pretty impressive fanbooks here - somebody did something right!

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 03:31:38 AM »

Open Office is like Microsoft Office (well almost as it changes a couple of things but nothing important).
And to make pdf out of Word, just install PDF Creator.

And if you want some editing work to be done, mail it to me and say what you want and I will see what I can do.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »

...'pdf creater'...  More info, please.

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »

...Actually, I just finished the book, and it is very well done...  But I did notice the individual Clans and their information is split onto 2 pages.  Perhaps there's some way for it to be shrunk onto one page?  Perhaps a smaller font?

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »

For the next level of layout etc. you can always try Scribus, a freeware version of InDesign.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »

...'pdf creater'...  More info, please.

Basically you install a pdf printer (in the this case he suggests the one named pdf creator) there are several free ones on the internet. Installing them will install a program along with a printer object on the computer. Then when you want to "save" something as a pdf you go to print and select the pdf printer as your printer object. It will "print" it to a pdf file (after asking you for the name, location, etc.). This is the incredibly confusing way free pdf file creation works (ie those of use who don't have bunches of money for adobe acrobat) and the mac os has one built in (just go to print on a mac and save to pdf is an option, you have to kinda look around a bit though but there is a "PDF" button with a down arrow)

I will look into this pdf creator though, maybe its better than the one I have on my PC (hopefully) and I'm hoping to find some program to merge pdf files (if I can do that I'll have a way to make this document look really good, basically by doing it one page at a time and merging the PDFs)

...Actually, I just finished the book, and it is very well done...  But I did notice the individual Clans and their information is split onto 2 pages.  Perhaps there's some way for it to be shrunk onto one page?  Perhaps a smaller font?

Thanks, glad you like it.

Yes that is something I was tackling. I had several clans reduced to 1-2 pages instead of the 2-3 they are now but the formatting started to mess with eachother (as I said Word is not useful for projects this size) and I would setup one section only to see it mess with sections 20 pages away even though there were several full page breaks between. There are also several instances of similar wastes of space throughout the IS, Mercenary and Periphery sections that I hope to trim down in editing once I figure out what program I want to use.

For the next level of layout etc. you can always try Scribus, a freeware version of InDesign.

Awesome, I'll look into that, Thanks!
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »

Bang! That's your best bet. InDesign is really the best option, but unless you're wiling to shell out the cash for the Adobe Suite there's very little for advanced publication layout.

We use InDesign for EVERYTHING. Magazine layout, newsletters, the works.

You can use Adobe Pro to merge multiple PDF documents into a single file and then reduce its size. I'm not sure if the free Reader works it. I might have a copy of Adobe CS2 for PC somewhere and Mac CS4, but I'm not sure I still have a valid license key.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 12:31:39 AM »

Oh!  Cent13 is working with Indesign for TRO:3063 - Scribus.  Sounds interesting.

On the other hand, apparently the later versions of Windows offers the print to .PDF option.  I wonder if I take multiple .PDFs to Staples if they can do something about putting them together.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »

also, for something to keep your words straight
http://www.editorium.com/threetools.htm
, something I am about to invest in for my company and myself.

@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »

Oh!  Cent13 is working with Indesign for TRO:3063 - Scribus.  Sounds interesting.

On the other hand, apparently the later versions of Windows offers the print to .PDF option.  I wonder if I take multiple .PDFs to Staples if they can do something about putting them together.

Maybe, but it'll cost ya. You're probably better off seeing your local print company store. They'll have the layout software on hand (if they offer design services.) It'll still cost a penny, but if might be higher quality.
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

also, for something to keep your words straight
http://www.editorium.com/threetools.htm
, something I am about to invest in for my company and myself.

We utilized similar software at the university to teach and help students. It's not 100% fool proof, but super helpful when grading 125 papers per week or running through large research proposals. Still, nothing beats Eyeballs Mk. 1 and a copy of the AP Style guide.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »

I agree, but having these tools do most of the repetitive stuff, means you can proof read more than copy edit.

@BlackNova01

Davout73

• Menig
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »

I use inDesign for my work, but it's my wife copy, and takes some getting use to.

There's a program called Scribus at http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus which is open source and very well supported.

What I have been doing for my AU is writing the files in Open Office and saving them, then copying them into InDesign and making what changes need to be made there.  Scribus will print directly to .pdf as well IIRC.

Davout

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »

I took the suggestions here (most notably using Scribus) and have labored to make a more presentable version of my Field Manual.

I'm hoping to take what I've learned in doing this and crank out a few historicals to advance my storyline so if anyone's interested you can look forward to those.

PS. If anyone has used Scribus and can help me with making it look better I'd be very appreciative. I notice especially when looking from a more zoomed out perspective that the writing seems to be randomly bolded when its not supposed to be and harder to read in some sections which is werid because its all the same font except for a few words bolded or italicized (not whole lines as it can appear).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:19:39 PM by SSJGohan3972 »
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »

Looks good and quite a solid amount of detail there.  A few formatting and textual errors, but they can always be picked up for v.2.

@BlackNova01

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up