OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Field Manual AU: 3028  (Read 12623 times)

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
Field Manual AU: 3028
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »

I've been working on this for some time and I wanted to present it here in its first completed version (ie all the sections are now complete, I'm hoping to polish it up and make it more presentable but its basic form is there). I originally had more than 200 pages in mind but trimmed it down some when I found I wanted to keep some of the mysteries alive. This document builds off of my Alternate History (a small taste of it you might have read in the Ripple Effect short story on this site) and fleshes out the universe circa 3028, just before the 4th Succession War. Avid BattleTech readers will (hopefully) appreciate the sections and rundowns I pulled from various sourcebooks (heck the intro is ripped from FMU albeit slightly altered for the time).

Anyways let me know what you think, I'm quite excited that I finally have this finished (writing) and can move on to my other planned short stories (I have two other early clan ones planned along with a trilogy much like the Warrior trilogy in canon although short stories not full novels of course) and a TRO 3031 but those are all in the beginning stages.

Thanks, SSJGohan3972

Edit: I updated and cleaned up Field Manual AU: 3028 and posted it later in this thread, I will leave the original here but you can find the updated version here: http://ourbattletech.com/forum/parallel-universes/field-manual-au-3028/msg18012/#msg18012
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:17:04 PM by SSJGohan3972 »
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Field Manual AU: 3028
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »

I will look at it.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »

interesting stuff
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »

Interesting changes.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »

Hmmmm The Ice Hellions Fallen Oh No My favorite Rivals and Moving targets gone
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »

I was so saddened.

Interesting ideas.
Did the Wolf's Dragoons go into the Periphery to complete their survey?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »

I was so saddened.

Interesting ideas.
Did the Wolf's Dragoons go into the Periphery to complete their survey?

Yeah the Ice Hellions demise was precipitated by the damage they took in Op: KLONDIKE, my short story: Ripple Effect covers most of that. I'm starting another one that will cover the next year or so with the end of the Wolverines (and explain why they didn't become the Not-Named in my timeline more).

I had the Wolf's Dragoons head to the periphery for a couple reasons, but yes completing their survey was one of them (I didn't include it but I imagine they offered employment to the Outworlds Alliance but were turned down). I also thought working for the periphery nations would be a great way to reduce piracy and boost the collective economy and military power of the Inner Sphere, the reasoning being that they could have a larger effect in a "smaller pond" so to speak. The Wolf's Dragoons and the Mercenary Corps of Engineers idea is one of my main justifications for the changes to the inner sphere I have made, beyond how an altered Wolverine destruction would make a more powerful sect of ComStar later in the timeline.

My plan for them now is to sign on with the FedCom after the start of the 4th War, but participate in the Capellan side of the conflict and maybe foil a comstar plot or two ;D
"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »

Tagged - getting dragged out to go christmas shopping - again.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lojtnant
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 03:11:35 AM »

Not bad! Looking forward to reading more in the near future?

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »

...Its impressive!  I do have a couple notes, though.

For somebody unfamiliar with your AU, I think you might want to include a short explaination of your project.  Explain the broad outline of events, so the reader is aware of the differences, probably before the 'Preparations' section.

...And you really need a front- and back cover.  Art makes all the difference on a project like this.  Its about the only thing I'd like to see added, it looks interesting, I can't wait to spend more time with it.

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »

...Its impressive!  I do have a couple notes, though.

For somebody unfamiliar with your AU, I think you might want to include a short explaination of your project.  Explain the broad outline of events, so the reader is aware of the differences, probably before the 'Preparations' section.

...And you really need a front- and back cover.  Art makes all the difference on a project like this.  Its about the only thing I'd like to see added, it looks interesting, I can't wait to spend more time with it.

Kind of like the "How to Use this Book" Section in many canon sourcebooks but also to explain the difference from canon? I like that idea and will incorporate it in the revised edition (which I'm working on now).

Art is something that is far from my forte but I had started to see that it would be necessary and started to incorporate it more at the Mercenary section and later. As you can probably tell this is just a Microsoft Word document saved as a PDF. I'm looking for what I can use to make the document in a nicer and more aesthetically appealing format, cover art would be a large portion of this.

Thanks for the input!

Not bad! Looking forward to reading more in the near future?

This is just the 1st full draft of this document, I will be polishing it up but yes I am also starting work on another short story (really part 2 of a trilogy with my original short story: http://ourbattletech.com/forum/parallel-universes/battletech-au-ripple-effect/) and have my notes for several more short stories, a TRO 3031 (not a full TRO mind you but I'm trying :) ) and a Historical: 4th Succession War. My original plan was to do a Historical: Brush Wars and Historical:3039 but as that is a lot of stuff and I can't hope to compete with the awesomeness that is the canon versions of these sourcebooks, I may do the three historicals as mini-sourcebooks (maybe 50-75 pages dealing mostly with the changes from canon) before moving onto the Clan Invasion, if my TRO 3031 goes well I'll probably want to do another dealing with new stuff from the 3030's-3040's before the Clan Invasion. I have the 4th Sucession War and the period after to about 3037 almost completely fleshed out (and a murky timeline up until 3050) but the Clan Invasion (and even if it happens!) is at this point further out than I'm looking yet.

Anyways I kinda started to ramble there but yes you can expect more in the future (near may be a relative term)

Tagged - getting dragged out to go christmas shopping - again.

I look forward to your input and have "fun" shopping :)

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »

Also tagged.

I had problems downloading it for some reason. I'm checking the server now.
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »

Also tagged.

I had problems downloading it for some reason. I'm checking the server now.

I'm betting the size might cause issues. When I originally made it into a PDF on my PC it came out as 17 GBs, just utilizing the PDF printer on my Mac cut that by 10 GBs (apparently the one I have installed on my PC sucks), but I had to deal with a bunch of formatting issues between Office 2010 and Office 2011 of course :) (just a few but still you'd think they'd work together)

Red Pins

• KU Player
  • Generalmajor
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »

Kind of like the "How to Use this Book" Section in many canon sourcebooks but also to explain the difference from canon? I like that idea and will incorporate it in the revised edition (which I'm working on now).

Art is something that is far from my forte but I had started to see that it would be necessary and started to incorporate it more at the Mercenary section and later. As you can probably tell this is just a Microsoft Word document saved as a PDF. I'm looking for what I can use to make the document in a nicer and more aesthetically appealing format, cover art would be a large portion of this.

Thanks for the input!

...Gimp is fairly easy to use, and you can alter the art from the official website.  That's all I did for my prospecive cover.

Now - SPECIFIC art - a volunteer may offer to help, but actually having it FINISHED - is a bitch to find.  I'm still considering going against my wife's wishes and paying some art studet from the local University to do it.

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »

I have GIMP and I don't really have an issue editing individual pieces or work (the quality of my work is another matter). My real issue is finding a program to compile the work in, as I said I just have this in a Word document but its not very friendly for making something of this scale. Off the suggestions of a friend and co-worker of mine I tried a website editor (iWeb) because you can print to PDF. I tinkered around but have abandoned it because I can't find a way to get multiple pages in the PDF document to line up correctly (pixels don't line up with whatever adobe uses in PDFs apparently) so unless I can find a way to merge multiple PDF files into one I'll have to find another program to utilize, I attached the beginnings of what I was tinkering with (most of Clan Fire Mandrill) I liked it because it looked fairly decent imo (pulled the borders from Reunification War) and would reduce the size of the document.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up