OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Seeker  (Read 11635 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: The Seeker
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »

Good to see your back at this.  ;)

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 06:27:23 AM »

I only just started on this after reading the other Scorpion story. An excellent story.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »

I will have a new snippet in this up tomorrow.  And it will be worked on until completion this time, gentlemen.  Sorry for the delay.

MA

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 11:45:16 PM »

I see those "friends" I sent around in the wee dark hours were as "persuasive" as I hoped they would be and "convinced" you to restart this thread.  I do hope the marks heal quickly: They are so hard to explain to friends and co-workers.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:50 PM »

Ah.  I was wondering about those guys.

MA

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »

Chapter Eight

May 10, 3056
Shanty-town
Clayborne Remembered
Circinus, Circinus Federation

“It is a bloody fortress,” growled Lucien as he stared at the three story mansion, once the three companions (and the girl) had clambered over the broken and rusted wrought iron gates.  The grounds were filled with brown dead grass, a dry fountain that may (at a distant time in the past) have once flowed with water, and broken statuary.

But the mansion itself was a stark difference from the rest of the buildings nearby.  The walls, pocked-marked with bullet impacts and even the mark of a light autocannon, were solidly built, and Lucien pointed towards one section where the granite had been broken.  “Stone on the outside, but that is armor underneath—BattleMech armor, Jason.  Not a single window on the ground level, and that entrance is covered by the overhang . . . are those murder holes above?”

Jason grinned.  “I imagine they are, Lucien—see the scorched flagstones?  I bet they spew inferno gel, not merely boiling oil.  And those two abstract sculptures flanking the entrance—do those look like stylized turrets to you?”

“Aye,” the one-time Falcon replied.  “Auto-blazer cannon, I would wager—nothing else is that compact and they have no recoil.  The windows on the second flight are all narrow slits, and the ones on the third story are covered in armored shutters . . . never mind the razor-wire coils lining the walls.  And that roof is too steep to allow someone to easily traverse it—looks slick as well.”

The Bondsman turned his eyes away from the mansion and gazed at his bond-holder.  “You think the Cameron is inside?”

“Neg, Lucien.  If the heir even exists, however, there is a good chance that the owner may well know where she is—and if not, I am certain he can aid us in our second mission.”

Jason nodded quickly and he stepped forward towards the entrance—and sure enough, both of the decorative sculptures twisted in place to track him.  He bounced up the steps and he politely knocked on the double doors, doing his best to ignore the shafts above his head which would rain down pure Hell upon him if things went wrong.

“Go away!” came a muffled voice from within.  “Don’t want what you are peddling—if you aren’t off my property in five, they will be picking up pieces of you for the next week!”

“I need to speak with Walker Roche—the matter is urgent.”

“Are you deaf?  I said leave!”

Jason faced a small video picked buried in the wall and he nodded.  He removed his jacket and unbuttoned the cuff of his right arm sleeve, rolling back the shirt to his elbow.  And he held up his right arm before the monitor, presenting to it his codex.

“If this is the abode of Master Roche, he will wish to speak with me and my companions.  If he is not here, then I apologize for disturbing you and will go away.”

The lock on the doors snapped open and one side slowly opened, revealing an old white-haired man, holding a riot gun in one hand.

“I am Walker Roche—you took your own sweet time getting here, didn’t you?”

The interior was surprisingly clean and well-keep, although filled with relics and books and artifacts.  Walker had let the four of them into his home, and then he secured the thick doors again, and bared them as well.  He had started to ask questions, but then he nodded when he saw the frightened and battered girl and shook his head.

“Find a seat and take a load off—and touch nothing!” he snarled as he made his way between stacks of books, papers, and furniture to disappear within the warren.  The girl shivered and Lucien patted her gently on the head and picked her up, putting her in a plush sofa chair, and placing a thick comforter over her.  “You need not worry, girl,” he said.  “He will not harm you—and you are going somewhere better.”  He examined the couches and shook his head.  “I think I will remain standing, Jason—I would hate to break his furniture by sitting on it.”

Jason just sat on a couch next to Amanda.  Walker came back into the room and he carried a mug and a plate—thick battered cuts of friend potatoes filled the plate, along with a golden mustard.  “Here,” he growled at the girl.  “You look hungry,” he said as he handed her the food and the mug filled with chilled juice.

The waif waited until Lucien nodded and then she gingerly took them both, setting the plate in her lap and began to gobble up the food, pausing only long enough to slake her thirst with the juice.

“Slowly, girl!” Lucien barked.  “Too much of a feast after nothing will make you sick—take it slow.”

She flinched, but did as he commanded.

The old man nodded.  “Took you bloody long enough to come here for me.  I’ve been expecting visitors since the Invasion began seven years ago!  Did you forget about Walker Roche?”

“Who are you, old man?” Lucien asked.

“Walker Roche—former Scorpion, former Dragoon, former Irregular, and resident historian for President McIntyre.”

Jason nodded.  “We lost track of you after the Dragoons quit sending reports—and neither Cranston Snord nor his daughter Rhonda were forthcoming with information on your whereabouts.  Never mind that the Scorpions were not part and parcel of the Invasion and that limited how many of our resources we could bring to bear.”

“Yeah, Cranston and Jamie both have their fool idea that the Vulture Lords are better for the common man than the Clans—despite all they have suffered at the hands of those same carrion-crows!  Is it too much to ask that you have come to bring me home?”

Lucien frowned.  “You were on the Dragoon Expedition?  Why didn’t you answer the recall?  You could have been home six years ago?”

“Do you realize how much it would have cost to buy passage for me and my collection to the Occupation Zone?  I would have had to sell these items I have spent half a century collecting!”  Walker Roche glared at the Elemental, and then he shrugged.  “And who exactly are you?”

“Jason Scott, Star Captain, Clan Goliath Scorpion Touman.  My companions are Star Commander Amanda Djerassi and Bondsman Lucien,” Jason paused and he grinned.  “The girl has not told us her name.  I do not believe she trusts us yet.”

Walker snorted.  “She bloody damn well better not trust you!  Or me.  That is how you survive in the capital city of Circinus—trust no one.  Calling this place a cesspool is an insult to sewers galaxy-wide.”

“We are here because I Seek, Walker Roche,” Jason said as he leaned forward.  “And I think we can arrange your transport back to the Homeworlds—if that is your wish.”

The old man nodded and he sighed.  “Aye,” he whispered.  “I took the name of my homeworld as my honor-name when I joined the Dragoons.  I would like to see her skies once more before my time is up—I’ve seen eighty-six years, boy.  Never thought to see so many, but I am tired and I want to return home.”

“It will be done, Walker Roche, and you will be received by the Khan herself and honored for your service.”

A tear trickled down one cheek of the old Warrior and he nodded.  “You Seek, eh?  Damned if I haven’t been Seeking for half a century—what are you Seeking?”

“Two things,” Jason answered.  “There is a family that dwelt on Circinus following Kerensky’s departure—a woman named Mira Levin and her daughter Colleen.  I am Seeking their descendants.”

Walker grimaced and shook his head.  “And I can guess why.  You won’t like what you find, Seeker, but I know where you can find Mira Levin’s sole surviving heir—and he is every bit as screwed up as his as great-great-great Grandsire Richard.  And the second item?”

Jason grinned.  “Tell me about Laredo.”

Walker smiled in return.  “Kerensky’s HQ . . . that’s the real reason you are here, isn’t it?”

The Scorpion did not answer and the old mercenary warrior/spy shook his head.  “I’ve done some prospecting over on Laredo—you have to hand it to Aleksandyr, he certainly hid it well.  And his depopulating that entire continent helped to shield it.”

“He massacred the people there?” asked Amanda in shock.

“Displaced them,” the historian corrected.  “Claimed that the Rim World defenders had used nukes and persistent chemicals on Laredo that made it too hazardous to stay—moved ‘em lock, stock, and barrel here to High Plains.  And he did test Rim chemical and nuclear warheads on a chain of islands between here and there.  Those places are damned lethal to this day, so not too many folks continue on to Laredo if the outer islands are still irradiated and poisoned.  Damn shame, too.  Laredo is far enough north that it is a lot more temperate, with actual forests and ample fresh water, even a few glaciers up in the mountains.  But it is a small continent, as continents go—more a large island, really—and the local animal life thrives there.”

Walker paused and he collected his thoughts.  “Evolution here on Circinus never really got above the reptile stage—but reptiles have flourished.  Along with insects and fish.  There are nearly three hundred species of snakes alone here—including two who fly.  Well, one flies, the second glides.  At least one hundred are venomous.  We’ve got reptiles as big as a pachyderm, and smaller carnivores that are just plain vicious.  They’ve had three centuries to reclaim Laredo for themselves—and they have, boy.  They have.”

“But, yeah.  I’ve got a good idea of where it is—and a few ways to get inside without heavy excavating equipment.  But we won’t be able to get anything out without a full-scale excavation—and if you do that, the Black Warriors will be on top of you before you can say abracadabra,” he shrugged.  “Might not be anything left there, anyway.  Time ruins all things, boy, but no one has broken into it, as far as I can tell.”

Jason nodded.  “I need to see it with my own eyes—so I report to the Khan on what remains intact.  There may come a day when the Scorpion needs it.  Can you take us there?”

The old man paused and then he nodded.  “I can—but I wouldn’t advise taking the girl along.  McIntyre keeps me under watch, but, I’ve got a couple of tunnels he doesn’t know about.”  He paused and shrugged again.  “We’ll have to get my collection out through them—if he thinks I am planning on bolting ship, he will try to seize everything.  And shoot you.”

“The girl will stay with the DropShip—and I will have Star Commander Tomas and his people begin moving your collection aboard.  And if President McIntyre truly does not know about your tunnels, we will be long gone before he discovers your absence.”

“That’s the sixth problem,” Walker said sourly.  “First, the gangs on Circinus don’t often help each other—but you are an outsider.  And none of them like seeing an outsider kill their own and steal their property,” he said pointing to the girl.  “Second problem, that gang-banger you shot and killed is related to one of the senior Black Warriors and probably would have been a ‘MechWarrior in a few years, and his family is gonna be pissed at you.  Third problem, assuming you stay your ass alive to this point, is getting to Gordan Cameron—yes, he’s taken the name of his ancestor—without getting shot up in the process.  He holds down an high position in McIntyre’s government and is a powerful big fish in our small Circinian pond.  Fourth problem is that while Circinus might be backward and primitive, McIntyre has set up a pretty decent air-defense network—getting off of High Plains and onto Laredo ain’t gonna be a walk in the park.  Fifth, once we get to Laredo, we’ve got all that indigenous life to deal with while we find a place to an entrance.  It ain’t gonna be as simple as pick a clearing, walk twenty yards, and say ‘Open Sesame’, Aladdin.  You’ve gotta deal with those first, Seeker, before we event think about sailing off into the deep black.”

“Fore-warned is fore-armed, Walker.  Do not worry yourself about me—I fully intend to finish this mission and return to my Khan.”

Walker snorted.  “So did I, my boy.  So did I.  And look how—and where—I ended up.”
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:26:38 PM by masterarminas »

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »

Chapter Nine

May 10, 3056
Roche Estate
Clayborne Remembered

“I thank you, Warrior,” Jason said as he shook Walker Roche’s hand at the door of his home.  “We will meet you at the pub within the space-port—and I will assign crewmen to haul your collection through the tunnels.”

The old man shook his head and pointed at the crowd waiting outside his gates.  “First, boy, you have to get through that alive.  I’d keep the girl, but they would see that as me taking sides—and my defenses won’t hold against that mob.”

Jason smiled.  “We will get through—just you keep to the rendezvous.”

“Good luck, lad.  I’ll see at the Bloody Talon, or in Hell one.”

And with that, Walker closed and barred his door.

Jason walked down the steps and he joined his companions at the base, where Lucien was glaring at the mob and caressing the handle of his drilling.  “A hard fight, if they mean us harm, Jason,” he growled.

Amanda nodded and she took out her own laser, check the capacitor charges, and then reholstered the weapon.  “If you are planning on a dust-off, now would be the time.”

“It is taken care, Warriors,” said Jason with a grin.  “Come!  Back to the space-port we shall go.”

He walked down the flagstoned lane the crowd outside—the mob—began to growl.  Weapons were present in large numbers, but no firearms, Jason noted.  The gangs seemed to want to tear them apart with their fists, knives, clubs, and improvised weapons.  He stopped just outside of the gates.

“You gentlemen are blocking my path,” he said calmly.  “Make a hole and allow us passage.”

One older man shook his head and he spat on the ground.  “You ain’t paid the toll yet—and that toll will put you in the hospital.  You dun killed the wrong folks, mate, and you stole our rightful property.  And for that, you’ve gotta pay.”

“Well, that settles who my first target is,” Jason said, his left hand tapping the grip of his revolver.  “Any volunteers for second?”

The gang-banger whitened, but another spoke up.  “You’ve got six shots—the big man has three.  She’s got a laser, but she can’t have many charges.”

“Number Two.  Is there a third?”

No one else spoke up, but neither did the mob move back.  And Jason smiled.  “Gentlemen, I do not want to kill any of you—but if you force my hand, I will kill all of you.”

A voice from the back shouted out.  “There’s a hundred of us, outsider!  A hundred!  We will bury you.”

The Scorpion officer shrugged.  “Perhaps, but you see, I am not here alone.”

The gang members began to exchange glances, and then there were shouts and protests from the back of the mob as they were parted like wave curling around a rock.  Twenty-five very large men and women walked forward—the smallest of them measured seven feet in her stocking feet, the tallest nearly eight-and-a-half in his.  Each one wore thick leather gloves, and they carried stout cudgels.

“These are my friends,” Jason said coldly.  “And you may outnumber us in raw numbers, but not in quality—four to one odds, I will fight at that happily if you force me to.”

One of the Elementals from the DropShip grinned at the leader of the gang members, and suddenly that leader looked down, wincing as he re-calculated the odds.  “Your choice,” the Elemental rumbled.  “I cannot say that I would not mind breaking a few skulls, Master Scott.”

Jason held up one hand.  “The ball is in your court, gentlemen.  Shall we play?  Or do you wish to go home in one piece—alive, I might add?”

Slowly, the gang-members began to disperse, as those along the outside—those not really wanting to be here in the first place slinked away.  Their numbers bled and then, with only thirty left, the gang-leader nodded.  “I had best not catch you alone, stranger.”

“For you sake, I hope not,” replied Jason to the man’s back as he turned away and walked off.

“Amanda, Lucien, shall we?”

Amanda Djerassi shook her head.  “It would have killed you to tell us you called for backup?”

Jason grinned.  “What?  You have a lack of trust in me?”

“Sometimes, Jason, I think you are more than a bit reckless.  But I will continue to follow you,” she answered.  Then she shook her head again and continued in a lower voice.  “Probably to my death, but I will follow you.”

“But not today, Amanda,” the Star Captain said.  “Let us get back to the port before they gather their courage—or collect their rifles.”

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 03:15:29 AM »

Nice, good to see no one wanted to mess with the elemental's.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 11:56:13 PM »

May 10, 3056
McIntyre Spaceport
Clayborne Remembered

“Jason,” the Elemental said as he stared at the approaching column of mercenary troops marching through the gate in the fence that separated the city itself from the port.  “Is this a deliberate lie we are engaged in?”

The Scorpion chuckled.  “Lucien, Lucien, Lucien.  Of course it is.  In this case, however, our opponents lower than the most dezgra of bandits—they have less honor than the Dark Caste.  You have seen it for yourself, their corruption, their lack of concern about their own people, their greed.”  Jason smiled.  “Misleading them, even with deliberate lies, is allowed for, Lucien.  But remember, what is the best lie?”

“A misleading truth,” he answered.

“That is an excellent answer, Bondsman.  But I was thinking that the best lie is oftentimes silence . . . letting our enemies assume for themselves what they believe to be the truth and taking no action to correct them.”

Lucien frowned.  “And how do we do that?”

“Unless we are forced otherwise, we tell them the truth—from a certain point of view,” Jason said laughing.  “Watch and learn, young padawan.”

Amanda chuckled as well.  “You watched those ancient films a thousand times when you should have been sleeping in the sibko—I am surprised that you have not yet forced Lucien to suffer through them.”

“We will have ample time for that on our journey back home, Amanda.  For now, he must learn to be a Scorpion—later will come his indoctrination in culture.”

“Culture?  Culture?  Culture is Mozart or Irving Berlin or the films of Hanks—not Lucas,” she snarled.

“My dear Amanda, you are such a snob.  Time for your game faces, trothkin.”

The mercenaries from the Black Warriors—mercenaries in name only, since they were primary Circinian defense force and all but ran this miserable ball of rock—came to halt close to where the three Scorpions were standing.  Behind Jason and his companions, the crew of the DropShip continued to work, hauling crates out and stacking them, and moving fresh supplies aboard.

Jason waited until the officer commanding the detachment started forward and he stepped up.  “Well, you certainly managed to take long enough to get here.  Jason Scott, commander of this motley crew—when do we meet with President McIntyre?”

The officer blinked with surprise, but he quickly recovered his balance with a subtle shake of his head.  “You are under arrest for the murder of a citizen of the Federation—you will come with us.”

“And if I do not?”

“I can have you killed here and now.”

Jason nodded thoughtfully.  “Perhaps you could, but did it fail to escape your notice that my crew is comprised of Clan Elementals amongst others—or that my DropShip is armed and that no fewer than six anti-personnel turrets are now trained upon you and your men?  You certainly might succeed in killing me, but none of you will exit the spaceport alive in exchange,” he grinned broadly.  “You see, the Clans of Kerensky do not answer well to threats, Captain . . . ?”

“Diall.  Jan Diall,” the Circinian replied.  “You threaten us, here, in the heart of Clayborne Remembered?  Clanner, we own this world, and one trading vessel will not survive to lift off if you open fire.”

“Oh, really?  Did you gain that knowledge on the front fighting Falcons or Wolves?  Bears or Jaguars?  Cats or Vipers?  Do you intend to start a war between my people and your own—a war that you will lose?”

Diall’s lips twisted in a sneer.  “We are below the truce-line—if your Clan comes across, the ComGuards will destroy them.”

Jason shook his head.  “The Truce of Tukayyid applies only to the Inner Sphere, Captain Diall—Circinus lies in the Periphery.  ComStar will no more come to your aid than the cold corpse of Hanse Davion will rise from his grave to lead the campaign.  But come now, I am not here to fight, or to give you a reason to suffer annihilation.”

“Why are you here?”

The Scorpion beamed.  “Lucien!  Bring up the samples.”

“Samples?  You are a merchant?”

“Why else would I be here?” asked Jason with a friendly grin that any used-hovercar salesman would have admired.  “I would have thought that Calvin McIntyre would have already sent for us, after all.  It is not every day that someone offers him Clan equipment in trade.”

Lucien walked up with a heavy case that he sat on the ground, and Jason nodded.  The Elemental opened the case and Diall whistled.  “Are those . . .” but he was cut off by Jason.

“Mk XX half-rifles, the same ones used by the SLDF,” he said as he lifted one of the compact and light-weight weapons in a single hand.  “This weapon does the same damage as a heavy man-portable laser, but at a third of the bulk and weight—more capacitor charge as well.  At full strength you have got fifty full-power shots on the internal power cell; each of which is the size of one of your rifle magazines.  Only these are not SLDF relics, Captain Diall, they are newly manufactured in the Clan Homeworlds.  We added a few bells and whistles—including pulse capability and a holographic sight for long-distance shooting.”

“WHAT Clan are you with again?” the incredulous officer asked.

“I was decanted a Scorpion—Lucien here was a Falcon.  I have even got a former Raven among my crew, and a Warrior free-born into the Coyotes.”

“Renegades,” the officer whistled as a smile began to extend across his face.

Jason shrugged.  “What?  You think the Clans do not have their own bandits and disreputable men amongst their ranks?  We even call those kinds the Dark Caste, and they are, by and large, part of who we are, albeit outside the norm of our society.”

Diall looked down again at the lasers stacked up in neat rows in the case and Jason nodded.  “Want to try one out?  Come on, Captain.  I have never met a Warrior yet who does not desire to test a new weapon for himself.”

The Circinian twitched and he began to reach for one and then he shook his head.  “I still have orders to bring you in.”

“Get President McIntyre on the radio and inform him that things have changed—he can give me a pardon or I will load these weapons up and be on my way to . . . other destinations.  Perhaps the Marians would like an opportunity such as we are offering you good people.  But I would rather deal with him, here, today, than with someone else later.”

Diall’s eyes narrowed and then he pulled out his radio.  Jason stepped back as he began to yell at someone on the other end to get the President on the horn—and he smiled.  He leaned over to Lucien and he chuckled.  “Not an actual lie among it, my apprentice,” he whispered.  "And I believe that the fish has taken the bait, hook and all," he said as the conversation Diall was having came to a close.

"Master Scott," the officer said with a slight bow, "President McIntyre wishes to welcome you to Circinus in person.  I apologize for having . . . mistaken you for a common criminal and would be honored to escort you and your wares to the Palace."

"My assistant," Jason said, pointing to Amanda, "will accompany me.  Along with him," he said pointing at Lucien.  And then Jason raised one eyebrow.  "Unless you would rather carry the 75-kilogram case?"

The officer smiled wanly.   "That is acceptable.  The President does want to know if small arms are the limit of what you are willing to negotiate for."

Jason shrugged.  "Let us walk before we dance, shall we?  If our meeting goes well, and if President McIntyre and I can work out a deal, then we can discuss . . . heavier equipment.  Much heavier equipment."

Diall nodded.  "This way then."

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »

May 10, 3056
Presidential Palace
Clayborne Remembered

Calvin McIntyre stared with pure greed and lust at the open case before him.  Then he smiled and looked back up at Jason.  “Twenty of these weapons are mere curiosities, nothing more.  We wonder how many you might be able to provide to Our troops?  Should We find that such is in Our interest, that is.”

Jason bowed.  “These are but samples of the wares my superiors have made available for you, Mister President.  And they are a gift, yours to keep regardless of how our negotiations bear fruit.  As to the numbers we have available, I have somewhere around a thousand of these particular weapons aboard my ship.”

“A thousand!” Calvin repeated, his eyes bulging from his head.  “With that many, We could rearm Our entire infantry force,” he whispered.

“One thousand of these weapons alone, Mister President; I also have cases upon case of Clan grenades, support weapons, laser assault rifles with integral grenade launchers, vibro-blades, sidearms, and helmets with integral communications gear and visual augmentation.  All manufactured in the Clan homeworlds to our standards—lighter weight, less bulk, greater range and damage than your local equivalents.”

A somber faced man dressed in robes shook his head.  “Be not fooled by his offer of bribes, Mister President—he is Clan and they cannot be trusted.  You need no such wares as he offers, not when Blake himself stands beside you.”

“And what concern is it of ComStar that causes them to advise the ruler of this entire Federation not to accept arms of a quality far above what he might otherwise obtain?”

“I am not with the heretics of ComStar, Clanner!  I represent the Word of Blake!”

Jason nodded.  “Ah, yes, the splinter faction that broke away after your Primus attempted to betray the bargain her ComGuards won on Tukayyid.  You are lucky that she was struck down when she was—for if she had lived, such a heinous show of dishonor would have brought the ten Clans you have yet to encounter into the Inner Sphere . . . and Terra would burn.”

“BLASPHEMY!” the Blakist screamed at the top of his lungs.  “Mister President, you must hand these wretches over to me so that they may be put to the question!”

“I must, Demi-Precentor Sand?  I mustYou forget your place . . . it was your offer of lower prices on your services that convinced me to allow the Word to assume control of the HPG stations here from ComStar, and it is your words now that may have me alter that deal.  If you do not shut up.”

Calvin sat back in this throne and he nodded.  “Infantry arms are good and well, but what of BattleMechs?  Can your superiors supply those as well?”

“We can, Mister President, although not in the same numbers, of course.  But should my mission here be successful, I believe that I can guarantee you will see our BattleMechs first hand.  I have none aboard my ship, and we will have to arrange a time and place for them to arrive . . . but if our discussions are fruitful, and if I find what I am looking for here, then yes.   We can, if we decide to do so, transport several hundred BattleMechs to your world, although I must remind you of the distances involved and that it will take years to arrange such a transfer.”

“And what are you looking for, Master Scott?” Calvin asked as he leaned forward.

“Something of enough value to make it worth my superiors time and effort, Mister President,” and Jason grinned.

“Gordan?” the President said as he sat back again.

Jason appraised the man that was one of the reasons for coming here today—he was attractive, well-built, tall, strong . . . and the expression on his face would have perfectly in tune with a rabid hyena.  The Scorpion shook his head.  So, Richard’s madness has passed down through his own blood—there is nothing here of any value for my Clan to claim on that score.

“President McIntyre,” Gordan Cameron said as he opened chests filled with coins and jewelry, “has agreed to purchase your stores of arms . . . will this suffice?”

Jason laughed.  “Increase your offer by ten-fold, and you might pique my interest.  Were the Sharks here negotiating, you would find that such an offer would end their interest immediately, and cost you the chance of acquiring our goods.  I, however, will give you another opportunity.”

“Space is dangerous—and ships do not always arrive at their destinations, Clanner,” said Gordan softly.  “And even Elementals can be killed.”

“And now you start the threats?  Gentlemen, what you offer has little value to those I represent.  Here is the minimum of what we will require for the small arms I carry,” he said as he passed a data-pad across to a servant, who carried it up to Calvin McIntyre upon his high throne.  “Anything less and I leave.”  Jason paused and he stared directly into Gordan Cameron’s eyes.  “And if you think you can stop me, you are certainly welcome to try.  All you will get from the effort is your own annihilation.”

“We will see,” snarled the seneschal of the ruler of Circinus.  “Guards!” he snapped.  “Take them into custody!  Warriors, seize his DropShip!”

Jason sighed and he watched Calvin McIntyre smirk on his throne.  And then he shook his head.

“So, you have no doubt by now attempted to capture my JumpShip, have you?  If I were you, Mister President, I would check with the survivors that attempted such a deed before you clap us in irons—or do something I would consider to be irrevocable for our future relationship.”

At that moment, a junior military officer, his face pale with shock came running into the room—he whispered into the ear of his superior, who gaped in horror at the news.  And then he whispered to his superior, who in turn spoke quietly into the ear of Gordan.

“You destroyed our DropShip!”  he thundered.  “A DropShip that stated it was performing a lawful customs inspection!”

Calvin McIntyre jerked on his throne and Jason coldly nodded.  “Mister President, our JumpShip is not nearly as defenseless as your advisors had presumed it to be—you have lost a Leopard-class carrier this day and the brave men and women who crewed it.  Be mindful that you do not provoke me into making you lose even more.”

“GORDAN!” the President bellowed as he stood.  “How did this happen!  I did not authorize any such attack on their ship—General Radchik, were your soldiers so incompetent that they managed to get killed by an unarmed JumpShip!”  Jason restrained himself from chuckling as contradictory statements emerged from the mouth of the ruler of Circinus.

The seneschal shook his head and he clenched his fists as he glared at Jason.  “The other DropShip launched fighters—ten of them!  And that JumpShip was not unarmed; the power and range of her weapons was . . . it is hard to credit such exaggerations.”

“No Clan JumpShip is unarmed, Gordan,” Jason said slowly.  “You see, we realize that space is a dangerous place and we take precautions to avoid that danger—or deal with it if it forced upon us.  And to honest with you, that is no JumpShip sitting at the proximity point, but a WarShip, gentlemen.  A wolf in sheep’s clothing, if you will.  You can certainly kill me, and those with me, and if you do then this city will die with everyone inside, including your own august self, Mister President.”

Silence descended over the room as jaws dropped open and eyes grew wide, but then Jason smiled.  “I do not blame you of course; I am certain that such an attempt to seize my vessel was in fact nothing more than an over-zealous flunky seeking to ingratiate himself with your good will.”  Gordan flushed at this and Jason grinned at him.  “I will accept the items listed upon that data-pad, Mister President, in exchange for my wares—and one item more.  Him,” the Scorpion said, as he pointed his finger at Gordan.  “I want his head on a silver platter . . . literally.  You may keep the body.  It is to be delivered to be no later than 1800 hours this evening, or I lift for orbit and you get nothing.”

“Now that the unpleasantness is behind us, perhaps we should discuss how we might go about setting up future missions to deliver BattleMechs to your world?  Clan BattleMechs and even OmniMechs, Mister President.  Or would you rather that we end this here and now?  Other powers in this neighborhood might well be willing to bargain even if you are not.”

Calvin McIntyre sat back in his chair and he frowned.  But then he nodded.  “Guards, find a silver platter from the kitchen and removes Gordan’s head from his body.  Do you need a cover as well for the dish?”

“That is not necessary, but I thank you for the offer, Mister President.”

“Very well, We have need of a new seneschal, one who will serve Us better.  Adrian, ah, yes . . . Adrian, the job is yours,” Calvin continued as the guards drug away a screaming, kicking Gordan Cameron.  The aide that the President pointed to went white as the blood drained away from his face, but he did nothing but bow deeply. 

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »

May 10, 3056
The Bloody Talon
Clayborne Remembered

“Keeping a low profile, are you?  HAH!” snapped Walker Roche, as he shook his head and picked up his glass of ale.  “Good god, boy, you not only told them you are Clan, but you let them know your ship is an actual WarShip!  And I cannot believe you sold weapons—Clan weapons—to that pig!”

Jason and Amanda chuckled, and then Jason sighed at the expression on Lucien’s face.  “Relax, Lucien, Walker.  Have not either of you read The Purloined Letter, after all?”

Lucien’s face was blank, but Walker’s suddenly shone and his eyes blinked.   He started to laugh as well.  “Hide who are you in plain sight, when they are expecting subtle spies and infiltrators, walk right in through the front door as if you had nothing to conceal.”

“Exactly, Walker.  The Warriors and other castes under my command are good, but even the Dragoon Expedition made its own share of mistakes early on.  And a good portion of my people are true-born, not free-birth . . . that is without mentioning it would be rather impossible to hide the presence of Elemental Warriors amongst us.  By now, all the Inner Sphere and near Periphery know something of the Clans of Kerensky—and we use that knowledge against them.  McIntyre is a brigand chieftain, no more, no less.  His Black Warriors have been—and still are—pirates.  Give him the chance to see that the rumors of the Dark Caste in the Clans and renegades are true, and what he knows of human nature, it was nearly certain he would come to believe its veracity.  Especially when his greed propelled him forward along that line of thought.”

“We do not pretend to be normal traders of the Inner Sphere, we come here as proud—and loud—Clanners, to use their term.  Our targets own experiences will fill in the details for them that we leave out, and they believe that we are nothing more—and nothing less—than what they imagine.  It is human nature.”

Walker nodded.  “Of course, you know how Poe prefaced that tale—nil sapientiae odiosius acumine nimio, you young whelp.”

Jason smiled.  “Lucien can you translate?”

The Elemental blinked, not once, but twice.  “Ah . . . neg, Jason,” he answered.

“Amanda, add Latin to Lucien’s study schedule.  Nothing is more hateful to wisdom than excessive cleverness, ascribed by Poe to Seneca, supposedly in reference to his one-time student, the Emperor Nero . . .”

“And this is not a classroom, Jason,” said Amanda with a grin.  “Those lessons can wait, quiaff?”

“Aff,” Jason agreed.  “I make no claim to be among the Wise, Walker.  I must admit, that I am fairly clever, however.  Cleverness is a weapon, and like all weapons it is one that I will use in the service of the Scorpion.”

“Hah,” the old man snorted.  “Be like one day you will be hoisted on that petard of yours, Jason Scott.  Still, if it works,” and he raised his bottle of Timbiqui Dark, “don’t fiddle with the parts.”

Lucien was still frowning though and Jason shook his head.  “What bothers you, Bondsman?”

“The weapons.  We are giving the bandits weapons.”

“I did mention that we added a few bells and whistles to the weapons—oh, did I forget to tell President McIntyre that each one, in a section of the weapon that is not normally disassembled, contains 35-grams of J-11 plastic-explosive on a delayed fuse timer?”

“Now that you mention it, Star Captain Scott, I believe you did forget to inform him of that small fact," Amanda answered promptly.

“Oh, dear,” Jason said, and then he sighed theatrically.  “In fourteen hours every Mark XX, every Mauser, every grenade, every vibro-blade, every combat helmet we just sold to McIntyre will go boom.  It would behoove us to be off-planet, or at least off this continent, before then, quiaff?”

“Aff,” answered Amanda, as Walker laughed so hard that tears began to leak from his eyes.  But Lucien still wore a frown.

“What is it, Lucien?  We are on schedule, and the last of Walker’s collection will be here shortly for loading.  We know that Gordan Cameron has no siblings, no children, and no living relatives. So what problem remains that bothers you so?”

“Well, about that part of no siblings—that isn’t exactly true,” Walker said, as he took another sip, before the Elemental could respond.

“Excuse me?” asked Jason.

“He had a sister—an elder sister.  She disappeared a few months ago and Gordan had her proclaimed dead and inherited her estates to add to his own.  Everyone believes that he had her killed, but I have heard rumors that she was sold as a slave.”

“Time to detonation?” Jason asked.

“Fourteen hours, eleven minutes, twenty seconds . . . mark,” answered Amanda.

“This would have been good to know before I sent McIntyre his load of party-favors, Walker.”

“Look boy, it might just be rumors.”

“Only if my luck has altered for the better,” Jason said sourly.  “Okay, then before we lift, we need to find her—or find out if she is dead.  I want all non-essential personnel on this—scour the records, hack into whatever databases you need, but we need to find her, or proof of her death.  Lucien, your problem?”

“You had Gordan killed, Star Captain . . . why?  ‘The Scorpion never kills for pleasure, never for personal gain, but a killer he remains nonetheless.’  Your words, yet you had Gordan Cameron killed.”

“Well, you were paying attention.  It was not for personal gain, nor for pleasure, Lucien.  He was our enemy—we embarrassed him in front of McIntyre and he was not the type of man to let that go unanswered.  He would have tried to strike back, whether through attempting to assassinate me, or having Amanda kidnapped and sold off as a sex-slave, or bombing our people.  It was a proactive measure of self-defense—nothing more, nothing less.  And I asked for his head on a platter, because we are running the DNA now to confirm that he was of the Cameron blood-line, Richard’s blood-line.  Do you understand, Bondsman?”

“Aff, Star Captain.  I was not going to shed tears for his loss, but I was not certain why you acted as you did—I do now.  And I will try to learn as fast as I am able.  Being a Scorpion is much more difficult than being a Falcon ever was, I fear.”

“Well, it is,” Lucien said in an exasperated tone as the three Scorpions sitting at the table all burst out laughing.  “It really is.”

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »

May 10, 3056
Scorpion DropShip Scott-Alpha
Clayborne Remembered

“Come!” Jason snapped at the knock on the partition door that separated his cramped cabin from the rest of the DropShip.  He closed the monitor screen as the door opened and two men entered.

“Star Captain Scott,” the senior of the two said with a slight bow.

“Scientist Charles, what can I do for you?”

“I believe that we may have a lead on Joan Levin—Gordan Cameron’s sister.”

Jason nodded and he sat back in his chair.  “Our plundering the Circinian data-bases revealed this information?”

The Scientist winced and then he shook his head.  “Our search has indicated where that information may be stored—we confirmed that Gordan Cameron received money at the same time that his sister disappeared, money deposited into his account that does not come from any known source of income.  Which pointed us in the direction of a possible source of information . . . we shall need your authorization to continue with the search, however.”

Jason frowned.  It was not common for any Seeker to have an actual Scientist—no matter how lowly his rank—in his retinue.  But for this mission, the Khan herself had assigned Charles to verify the genetic heritage of those discovered with a possible link to the family of the First Lord.  And while Charles was very, very good at his specialty, he was not the most . . . flexible of Scientists.

“My authorization?”

“Daniel?” Charles said, motioning the other Scientist, a low-ranking Scientist assigned to the crew of the Jenna Scott forward.

“Star Captain, I believe that the information we need is stored within the secure data-base at the Word of Blake HPG compound.  There were references in the Circinian data-bases which linked back to them—and the payment itself came from their accounts.  I think that I can get inside, and find the information, but  . . .”

“We are prohibited—on the orders of the Khan—from prying into ComStar’s secrets,” finished Charles.

The Seeker nodded and he smiled slightly.  “As they themselves insist that they are not ComStar, I think we can safely consider that concern as being overcome, Scientist Charles.  Scientist Daniel, you believe that you can successfully locate and extract the data from the Word compound without detection?”

Charles grimaced and Daniel shook his head.  “Not without detection.  I have . . . probed . . . their system on my own initiative, Star Captain.  Their firewalls and software are very, very good.  To get inside, I will have to do a brute force hack, using the computers here aboard the DropShip, networked wirelessly to gain access without a physical connection.  Their architecture is quite distinct, and I know that once I breach their outer defenses, I can copy the data I need—if we arrange a diversionary attack from Jenna Scott at the same time.”

“Diversionary attack?”

“The Techs aboard ship will make a play at the Word’s most secure systems—what they keep their secrets upon.  As their computer security responds to that, I will launch a second attack on the local data-base they retain for confidential dealings with the people of Circinus.  I doubt that they are prepared for a two-prong attack, and the one from Jenna Scott will raise enough alarms that they will concentrate their best technicians there in response.  That should leave me enough of an opening to get the information you need.”

Jason measured the young Scientist and mentally reviewed what he knew of him.  Daniel had been ‘exiled’ to Jenna Scott three years ago, after he had been caught reviewing files where he had not had any need to know clearance.  That he had successfully broken the protection on those files and accessed secure data-cores had impressed the Scorpion Scientist Council—and infuriated them.  So he had been transferred here, where his inquisitiveness could serve the Clan . . . without access to the secrets of his superiors.  He nodded.

“Will they be able to track our activity?”

“I cannot guarantee they will not, Star Captain,” Daniel answered calmly.  “They well launch a counter-attack with software viruses upon both us and the ship—but our defenses are quite a bit stronger and our architecture far different from what they are accustomed to; I expect such an attack to fail, if they manage to launch it in the first place.  There is a good probability, however, that they will manage to identify us as the source of the hack.”

“Authorized, gentlemen.  Good hunting, Scientist Daniel.  And Daniel?”

"Star Captain?"

"Do not artificially restrict yourself to just the information we are after.  Let us see if you are truly as gifted at computer theft as the Council claims . . . I want the entire Word data-base if possible.  Is that within your ability?"

"Aff, Star Captain!" the young Scientist answered as he stood up straight, his eyes wide, as Charles winced at his side.

"Then dismissed, I have work to finish," Jason finished, reopening the monitor screen and resuming the work on his paperwork as the two Scientists bowed and left his cabin behind.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:47:14 PM by masterarminas »

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »

May 10, 3056
Goliath Scorpion Ship Jenna Scott
Pirate Jump Point

“Systems ready?” asked Star Captain Gregor Ben-Shimon as he floated over the shoulders of his computer technicians.

“Aff, Star Captain.  We will not be able to adjust the software attack in real-time, however—I have written out the program to shift our vector in compensation on a random basis,” the technician chuckled.  “Never thought I would get a chance to do this, Star Captain.  Never.”

“So we are ready then, quiaff?”

“Aff.”

“Power up the HPG transmitter, make your coordinates the Word of Blake compound on Circinus, and maintain the transmission until I order otherwise.  Technician Yvonne, you may start your attack upon establishment of the link.”

Yvonne grinned and she double-checked the pre-loaded software routines one final time as the Scorpion WarShip diverted power to the Hyper-Pulse Generator.

“HPG . . . engaged,” reported another crewman.

“And so it begins,” Yvonne whispered as she hit the enter key.

May 10, 3056
Word of Blake HPG Compound Circinus
Clayborne Remembered

“Incoming transmission,” the Acolyte reported, and Demi-Precentor Justin Hawk frowned.

“This time of night?  What the . . .” his words were cut off as alarms suddenly began to scream.

“Demi-Precentor!  The network is under attack!  I’ve got three dozen separate viruses trying to get through our security—outer firewall breached!”

“Disconnect from wireless reception,” Hawk barked, but then one of the techs spun around.

“It’s coming from the HPG itself!  We cannot isolate the data-base from the HPG!”

“Activate emergency protocols!” he barked, pulling up a schematic of the computer systems on the his screen.  The outer firewall was down, and the secondary was under heavy assault.  This was no mere finesse attack, it was a brute-force hack that must be using more computer power than was present on the entire planet!  “Track the transmission back!”

“Point of origination the Clan vessel at the jump-point, Sir.”

Oh, you sons-of-bitches, he thought.  “Power up the HPG.  They want to play games?  Let’s play.  Gold watch, keep them out of the data-base—blue watch, hit them back.”

Off-duty personnel raced into the command complex and began to spin up complicated computer programs, both attack and defense.  Hawk nodded.  “Let’s see if that rust-bucket can take a real cyber-attack.”

And unnoticed in the noise and confusion of the massive load of viral programs coming through the HPG, a solitary worm slinked through in the background and weaved through the defenses.

May 10, 3056
Clayborne Remembered

“Inner firewall penetrated!” Daniel crowed.  “Yes, take that, you free-birth scum!”

“Celebrate when the mission is over, Scientist Daniel,” Jason said calmly.

“Aff, Star Captain.  Sorry about that,” the Scientist replied as he bent over his console.  “Down-loading . . . now!”

May 10, 3056
Word of Blake HPG Compound Circinus
Clayborne Remembered

Hawk’s face drained of blood as another alarm went off—the main and secondary data-cores were being down-loaded.  Down-loaded!  “How the hell did they get through?”

“They haven’t, Demi-Precentor—we are fighting them off and holding them at bay . . . it is . . . oh shit.  Second penetration attempt!  Local wireless network!  It snuck in while we were fighting off the first assault.”

“Take the cores off-line!  Now!”

“Computer commands comprised—their viruses are preventing disconnect!”

Hawk stared at the screen at the percentage of down-load spun rapidly upwards and he blanched at the thought of what his superiors would do if this Clan cyber-assault succeeded.  He raised the cover over a red button that was never intended to be used and he pushed it.

Buried deep beneath the HPG compound, the fusion power plant went into emergency shutdown; explosive charges severed every power line leading into the compound as well.  And every electronic device, computer, light, and power supply in the compound suddenly ceased working.

May 10, 3056
Clayborne Remembered

“BLOOD OF KERENSKY!” cursed Daniel.  “Those stravag dezgra assholes!” he bellowed.  “They just cut power to everything,” he cried as the computer started flashing DOWNLOAD INTERUPTED.

“How much did you retrieve?”

“A full copy of the secondary data-core, and about half the primary—but the primary is heavily fragmented.  Call it . . . 35-38% of the data after we put it back together.”

“The secondary data-core is intact?” asked Jason.

“Running the search now . . . got it,” Daniel answered as a printer nearby began to whine and spit sheets.  Jason tore them off and scanned them quickly, he slowed and read—and then reread—one section carefully.

“Time to detonation?”

“Two hours fourteen minutes . . . mark,” answered Amanda.

“Assemble a strike team—she is alive and we are going to retrieve her before lift-off.”

Justgeo

• Menig
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »

This is a fun story. Looking forward to more.

I must complain though, Chapter 3 was cut off and we never got to see what happened when Lucien drank the necrosia. 

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »

This is a fun story. Looking forward to more.

I must complain though, Chapter 3 was cut off and we never got to see what happened when Lucien drank the necrosia.

Ah, I didn't realize that had been cut off when Takiro moved it to these boards.  Well, here is the whole missing excerpt.

“Three times must you drink, Bondsman,” the woman Warrior’s soft voice whispered in his ear, “three times and you must drain the chalice dry.  Dishonor neither yourself nor your new Clan in this.”

Lucien placed his mouth on the rim and tilted the chalice towards him.  The pale green, faintly luminescent liquid swirled into his mouth, and he drank deeply, and then lowered the chalice.  The liquid tasted bitter, and had a sharp tang to it, and Lucien could feel his hands going numb as the room swam around him.

Warriors lit sticks of incense in a circle around him with the flames of candles taken from the wall.  As the sweet odor rose into the air, Lucien drank a second time, the liquid quickly being absorbed by his dehydrated body, and then the lowered the chalice once more.

Raising the golden bowl above his head a third time, his head spinning and the room going blurry, he lowered it one final time to his lips and drank and drank and drank, until no more was to be had.

It was difficult to see, with his vision blurred, his pulse racing, his heart pumping far more rapidly than normal, but he set down the chalice on the alter and released it with hands he could no longer feel.  The Scorpions around him took him in their arms and laid him flat against the cold stone of the deck, but even that sensation began to fade.  Nothing seemed real, nothing except the Scorpion within his own blood.

With his last vision, he could see Jason knell down beside him, and as if from far, far away heard him speak.  “See now what the future might hold, Bondsman Lucien; see if the Scorpion will accept your life as his own.”

The Elemental woke with a start, covered with sweat.  He sat up, as he tried to remember the vision he had had seen, and then he heard a familiar voice.

“The offering—the sacrifice—has been accepted, trothkin!  We have among us a new Brother.  Seyla!”

“Seyla!” the Warriors answered.

Lucien tried to control his breathing as he located Jason in the circle of Scorpions standing over him.  He swallowed, he closed his eyes, and he knelt before the blood-named Warrior.

“I have SEEN!” he cried, his voice hoarse but joyous.  “I know now what you Seek, Seeker.  The blood-heir of the Cameron line; you seek she who is the rightful heir of Richard Cameron, of Ian Cameron, of James McKenna.  You SEEK the one true First Lord of the Star League!  YOU SEEK, and I shall follow!”
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:42:34 PM by masterarminas »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up