OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What If: FedCom wins the War of 3039  (Read 15751 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
What If: FedCom wins the War of 3039
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:13:01 PM »

As the Federated Commonwealth offensive falters - Katrina Steiner stricken with terminal illness refuses to watch her dream die. Summoning her remaining strength the Archon-Emeritus gathers a taskforce of her very best forces to strike at the very heart of the Combine, Luthien. In a war to end all wars the Black Pearl falls to the Steiner-Davion juggernaut at the cost of its creator collapsing the unified Draconis defense. The death of the Coordinator and the capture of the Gunji no Karnei result in the eventual surrender of the Combine even though some die hards continue to resist FedCom occupation.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: What If: FedCom wins the War of 3039
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:42:41 AM »

Is this plausible?

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:44:07 AM »

Would a more plausible outcome be Hanse calling Theodre's bluff and taking 50+ border worlds before peace kicks in the the Combine is left as little more than a weakend realm.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »

Blacknova is correct, Hanse simply calling Theodore's bluff would be more plausible but I liked Katrina going out in a blaze of glory. So why can't we have both leading to a complete collapse of the Combine?

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »

Hmmm Both have their appeal.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »

She would need a bit of assistance, as she was in a bad way from cancer at that stage.

@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »

Perhaps it would be simpler to combined the two:

Katrina decides to enter one more battle and does so alongside Morgan Kell and the Kell Hounds. Deployed into the Draconis March they arrive on Xhosa VII in August 3039 and proceed to do a number of unpleasent things to the Ryuken-go battalions there, including capturing Theodore Kurita (although Katrina Steiner dies in action, something not announced at the time). The loss of the Kanrei doesn't cause the DCMS to crumble but it does affect their cohesion and seriously boosts AFFC morale. On that basis Hanse decides to press his luck... and it works out for him. Scores of DCMS forces are forced into hasty retreats or over-run as the AFFC continues to advance.

A third wave of attacks leaves pockets of DCMS regiments still resisting in Dieron while pushing the functional frontline to Buckminster, Benjamin, Iruzun, Matsuida and Kazenjoy. With the succession shaky (Hehiro is barely old enough IIRC), the Combine has little choice but to accept a peace that functionally surrenders most of Kaznejoy, Matsuida, Iruzun and Proserpina Prefectures as well as all of Dieron District. As a face-saver for Takashi (since the AFFC will be rather stretched to garrison all these worlds and subdue the various stubborn holdouts, Hanse agrees to relinquish the handful of worlds in the Benjamin District that were taken.

While the Combine remains largely intact and appears healthy on the map, it's been stripped of several key industrial worlds and the DCMS is a hollow shell of its former glory. Hanse can afford to wait a few years and consolidate before he has to decide if he wants to finish off the Combine, finish off the Confederation or smash the Free Worlds League in a similar fashion.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »

What he said, especially so in regards to the ongoing campaigns.

@BlackNova01

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »

I was watching the Shootist with John Wayne when I saw a lot of FedCom calls the Combine's bluff in the War of 3039. So I thought of Katrina Steiner refusing to wait for death but rather plunging into a full scale assault of Luthien (with the Kell Hounds and a few other select regiments of volunteers) to fulfill her life's work. To that end I don't want to compromise on the radical attack into the heart of the enemy and to hell with the consequences. However that being said yours is a more reasonable course of action drakensis. Except I wanted to fling that out the window and go for broke with Katrina's action. [Funny how this would somewhat mirror Frederick Steiner's actions and I'm thinking that Hanse would follow it up with nothing less than finishing blows to the Dragon]. That being said what do see happening realistically if such an assault went down on Luthien? Which regiments participate in the battle? I think the Combine would fall in on itself with factions trying to liberate Luthien and various Warlords attempting to setup their own zone of control.

Oh and new rule - Don't jump ahead of me yet to the Clan invasion!

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

My problem is that even the Clans didn't manage to break Luthien, so House Steiner.

However, I read today something about the Swiss pikemen and I thought that they were like House Steiner: unstoppable thanks to the shock effect (be it because of cohesion/pikes or because of Assault 'Mech) if they had the surprise effect.
So perhaps, it could work but Hanse would need to help it a little by drawing more and more forces against him.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »

Well, knowing Katrina, she would want the units to ba able to make it back, I would not be suprised if her task force came in through the Alberio Prefecture, after skirting the FRR, minimising the chance of detection.

Such a knockout blow would need to contain troops from all sectors of the realm, firstly to make it an AFFC action, not an LCAF or AFFS one.

Looking at spare units in the Lyran Commonwealth in Historical:3039, this what I would send in, leaving already assigned units alone, so as not to generate suspicion from the DCMS:

UNIT (Experience/Reliability/Equipment Rating/Post in 3038)

20th Avalon Hussars RCT (Vet/Fan/A/Freedom)
6th Crucis Lancers RCT (Vet/Rel/A/Loburg)
4th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT (Reg/Rel/A/Alcor)

4th Donegal Guards RCT (Vet/Rel/B/Chateau)
14th Donegal Guards RCT (Reg/Rel/A/CMO 26)
6th Lyran Guards RCT (Elite/Rel/A/Althastan)
2nd Royal Guards RCT (Reg/Fan/A/Tharkad)

The Bad Dream (Vet/Rel/A/Newtown Square)
3rd/12th Star Guards (Vet/Rel/A/Icar)

Approx Force: 9 Mech Regiments, 15 Aerospace Wings, 21 Armoured Regiments, 35 Infantry Regiments

Facing them on Luthien would be:

UNIT (Experience/Reliability/Equipment Rating/Post in 3038)

1st Sword of Light (Vet/Fan/A/Luthien)
7th Sword of Light (Vet/Fan/A/Luthien)
Otomo (Elite/Fan/A/Luthien)
Dragons Claws (Elite/Fan/A/Luthiem) - They may have been available at this time.

These additional units are based on what is presented in Luthien.

3rd Aerospace Wing (Vet)
7th Aerospace Wing (vet)
Black Dragons Aerospace Wing (Vet)

6th DEST (Elite)

These units are likely armour and infantry
12th Luthien Defence Regiment (Reg)
54th Luthien Defence Regiment (Grn)
96th Luthien Defence Regiment (Vet)
122nd Luthien Defence Regiment (Reg)
143rd Luthien Defence Regiment (Reg)
178th Luthien Defence Regiment (Reg)
191st Luthien Defence Regiment (Reg)
201st Luthien Defence Regiment (Reg)
7th Imperial City Militia (Reg)

1st Amori Militia (Reg) - Combined arms battalion
Luthien Armour Works Security Company (Reg)

Anti-Mech Infantry Regiments
1st Omega Regiment (Vet)
2nd Omega Regiment (Reg)

Approx Force: 5 Mech Regiments, 7 Aerospace Wings, 5 Armoured Regiments, 20+ Infantry Regiments

If I was the AFFC, I'd also toss in a couple of Assault DropShip wings and an Independent Aerowing or three.

It would be a savage battle and the AFFC would want to leave after a month of dismanteling DCMS units and infrastructure as by that time Alshain and Pesht units would start to arrive.  I don't think the task force could hold the world, but they could wreck it and cop 50% casualities doing it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:43:43 PM by Blacknova »

@BlackNova01

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »

Excellent! Love your points Ice and I'm thinking the Dragon might be over extended at the time. Perhaps we can even look at the historical raid of Luthien by the Tamar Tigers and the LCS Nightwind circa 1st Succession War. Blacknova those suggestions are fantastic (how about Brochi's Cluster for a staging area?) and the unit breakdown is great. I was thinking of units that have special ties to Katrina in some way or another. The Kell Hounds are a must in this offensive - I'll be looking for their position. My vision of the Taskforce was at least a five BattleMech regimental core. Two of these regiments were mercenaries - Kell Hounds. One is a Lyran. The 2nd Royal Guards is good of course since she was the Archon but I'm also looking for units she commanded as well. Need a Davion unit to volunteer and a FedCom RCT if available. Although the units you present as available are fairly balanced. Also should we have a Red Corsair angle for the operation. In regards to DCMS defenses I'm thinking they may be spread thinner than listed but could we at the verge of success have a twist of fate. Could the local ComGuards intervene on behalf of the Dragon?

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »

The Kell Houds Regiment was on Summer, but not posted to active duty, so an elite regiment works well.

The FC-RCT's are all in the Sarna March, so I left them out of it, focusing only on the Lyran state command to reduce red flags for the DCMS.

As it is, although the AFFC has a 2:1 ratio, that is the absolute minimum I would recommend, due to the DCMS's more experinced line units and fanatical defence of the homeworld. Additionaly. local knowledge would play a part.  Also important is the lack of resupply for the AFFC taskforce, hance why a short campaign would be important.

In the end, you universe, your call though, this is just my own point of view based on our game's big battle results.  Battle where the attacker has less than a 3:1 overall advantage bog down to nothing but attirition, so the number and specific units I listed were designed to prevent that from happening.

As to Brochi's cluster, the abondoned world of Ulsan is 35LY North West of Luthien as well and could be a better option close to the capital.  Perhaps launch the strike from Ulsan, hit Luthien, leave Luthien and scatter, raiding as they go and regroup in Brochis for the run home?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:26:42 PM by Blacknova »

@BlackNova01

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »

Did some quicky research from the HSSB and it appears that the 15th Lyran Guards were commanded by Colonel Katrina Steiner who helped thwart the 10th attack on Hesperus and later participated in the unsuccessful assault on Kalidasa. Also she bought the Star Guards back to the Lyran Commonwealth.

I have to check the Luthien garrison but is there anyway we can dilute it? Thinking like a pirate here. Can we probe other targets forcing the Luthien garrison to send reinforcements to other systems??

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »

I think the opposite would happen, the Black Pearl is too important.  Only Chatham, Avon, Irece and Pesht are viable, and you could hit those on the way back, after thier garrisons come tearing ass over to support Luthien.

@BlackNova01

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up