OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What If: FedCom wins the War of 3039  (Read 15776 times)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: What If: FedCom wins the War of 3039
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »

Killing father and son? This might be a bit too much.

Takiro, your Yellow Bird reminds me of Dien Bien Phu ;)
The problem I can see there is how do you supply the units on Luthien? Don't forget they will be harassed day and night.

And as for ComStar, in 3039, they are more indirect than direct in their answers and ways to deal with opponents.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »

Who said anything about killing Tak or Theo? I mean, if they commit hari kari, so be it. But honestly, all you have to do is incapacitate or isolate the Coordinator and son from the rest of the DC and all hell is likely to break loose. We didn't see as much in the Jihad, but a similar base situation was created. Scroll back to 3039 and the major players in the DC then might not be as nice, or as loyal as Mr. Warlord New Samarkand.

That said, I'm not sure you have to remain on Luthien for long either. Not unless father or son is hiding on-world and you're looking to get the big capture. All you really have to do is conquer the place. Not wreck it, just conquer it and then leave before the "stuff" hits the fan. If it's all part of the master plan, this type of strategic withdrawal should play into your offensive operations elsewhere as an unbalanced and uncontrolled DCMS moves in too many "directions."

As for supply. Providing the units with enough supplies for a deep strike/planetary assault should go without saying. Long term occupation shouldn't even be on the table IMO. 
Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »

I agree, in and out, no ******* about.

I think Takiro mentioned the loss of Theo in battle and the strike aims at killing/capturing Takashi.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »

I did but that is an interesting plan to capture the Dragon and draw his wrath where it isn't needed. How interesting...

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »

I did but that is an interesting plan to capture the Dragon and draw his wrath where it isn't needed. How interesting...

I'm not sure capturing Takashi will do much good. If the old bugger is taken alive, don't expect him to last too long. The guy is likely to commit seppuku the second he has the opportunity to do so. Ritual suicide removes his piece from the playing board of DCMS honor. If anything, capturing Takashi will help the DC in the long run by giving them something to focus on. With Kurita still alive even the most "adventurous" Warlord might be hard pressed to exercise independence with the Coordinator and the entirety of the Combine's honor still redeemable.

Best case would be the death of Takashi in combat. With the Dragon and his son gone, it becomes a free for all among the Warlords. Win win for Hanse Davion.

Takashi's survival is a partial victory, since the Coordinator's rage at losing Luthien and his son might make him unpredictable, and therefore hurt the DC's war effort further. His survival could also just as easily hurt the FedCom's invasion, but with the DCMS already on the ropes, I think suicidal/rash action on the part of the Coordinator might result in some major mistakes and maybe even some sort of coup to prevent the complete destruction of the Combine by one of the aforementioned Warlords, ISF, etc.   

No, either Takashi dies in glorious battle during the planetary assault or gets away. If Takashi gets away and Theo dies, the Coordinator's rage might be the FedCom's best friend.

Capturing Takashi creates a rallying cry and focal point (in either the event of his survival or suicide I might add) the FedCom does not want to give the Draconis Combine. It's not just about the DCMS either. Remember, the Coordinator is the Dragon, the embodiment of the Combine. You want to see an upswing in insurrection, suicide attacks, etc., on Combine worlds? Capture the Coordinator and see what happens.

You only need to look to the Jihad to see how this would play out in the Combine. 

WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »

I'm not sure capturing Takashi will do much good. If the old bugger is taken alive, don't expect him to last too long. The guy is likely to commit seppuku the second he has the opportunity to do so. Ritual suicide removes his piece from the playing board of DCMS honor. If anything, capturing Takashi will help the DC in the long run by giving them something to focus on. With Kurita still alive even the most "adventurous" Warlord might be hard pressed to exercise independence with the Coordinator and the entirety of the Combine's honor still redeemable.

We saw this also during the Clans invasion.

All you really have to do is conquer the place. Not wreck it, just conquer it and then leave before the "stuff" hits the fan. If it's all part of the master plan, this type of strategic withdrawal should play into your offensive operations elsewhere as an unbalanced and uncontrolled DCMS moves in too many "directions."

I think Takiro's idea was to stay there and hit as many Kuritan units as possible.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »

All you really have to do is conquer the place. Not wreck it, just conquer it and then leave before the "stuff" hits the fan. If it's all part of the master plan, this type of strategic withdrawal should play into your offensive operations elsewhere as an unbalanced and uncontrolled DCMS moves in too many "directions."

I think Takiro's idea was to stay there and hit as many Kuritan units as possible.

That would be a mistake. Staying on Luthien to "destroy" as many Kurita units as possible is akin to Wolf's Dragoons stand on Misery WITH an angry population. You saw what happened to the Dragoons right? And they selected a "relatively" neutral planet. Luthien is anything but neutral. I'd put good money on Luthien-based FedCom units suffering more losses from Draconis insurgents than in combat.

Better to draw them to a site of your choosing, closer to your supply, further from theirs and well away from any Combine civilians. Incidentally, depending on how bat-shit-crazy your assault on Luthien has made the DCMS, you might be able to destroy enraged Combine regiments one by one as they lash out into the FedCom.

Enticing targets invite a wonderful response from angry Samurai.

Remember, while you're waving the red flag on one side of the border, the other side is getting hammered by Davion RCTs.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »

The original assault force would need to be reinforced as quickly as possible by the AFFC. Remember this all depends on the DCMS being over stretched and out of position in the first place.

Maybe I'm equating Luthien to Huntress too much. Luthien has much more of a populace that is more likely to take up arms against their attackers but the distance for a relief force is much less to cover.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:31 PM »

Well, at what point are you suggesting the assault take place? Early in the war, or at that moment when Hanse blinks?

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »

That would be a mistake. Staying on Luthien to "destroy" as many Kurita units as possible is akin to Wolf's Dragoons stand on Misery WITH an angry population. You saw what happened to the Dragoons right? And they selected a "relatively" neutral planet. Luthien is anything but neutral. I'd put good money on Luthien-based FedCom units suffering more losses from Draconis insurgents than in combat.

Better to draw them to a site of your choosing, closer to your supply, further from theirs and well away from any Combine civilians. Incidentally, depending on how bat-shit-crazy your assault on Luthien has made the DCMS, you might be able to destroy enraged Combine regiments one by one as they lash out into the FedCom.

Enticing targets invite a wonderful response from angry Samurai.

Remember, while you're waving the red flag on one side of the border, the other side is getting hammered by Davion RCTs.

I do agree but I am not the one making the plans here.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »

If you are going to write a story about this, the thread makes a good basis for the High Commands discussion.

@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 06:27:51 AM »

Well, at what point are you suggesting the assault take place? Early in the war, or at that moment when Hanse blinks?

The assault would take place as the House Kurita overextended itself in the attempt to bluff the Federated Commonwealth. Word of its results would filter in as the High Command was deciding to proceed and how or withdraw and consolidate. 

If you are going to write a story about this, the thread makes a good basis for the High Commands discussion.

Well I don't know about how official this Operation would be. I mean Katrina can't exactly tell her family she is going off to die. Perhaps a council of friends who could pass it under the guise of something else.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »

Knowing Katrina, she's likely to inform the High Command after she leaves Tharkad. She's also likely to ensure that her actions play into FedCom's assault in some fashion, so that her actions do more good than harm...likely based on her (and some other smart people's) assumptions, but helpful nevertheless.

The likely scenario being, "We'll hit Luthien, and then pull back this way. We know "these" FedCom units will likely move in here as a result, with "these" DC regiments coming in from here, here and here." Or something to that result.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

I think a strike of this size would require official, if secret, billing.  However, Katrina only joins the force the day it heads out of Lyran space, maybe having been there as an observer before hand.

@BlackNova01

Cestusrex

• Fanjunkare
  • Killing is our business and business is good.
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »

Sounds like a deep penetration, decapitation strike.  Come in hot, guns blazing stomping every DCMS unit in sight on the Black Pearl.  Take out the high command, savage as many DC units as possible, and then blast out of there before any help can arrive.  Takashi dies, Theo is captured.  You then hit the places abandoned by the DCMS units that have raced off to reinforce Luthien on the way out.  Hanse then starts hitting the boarder gobbling up worlds.  Then you send Theo back to the DC so you have someone to negotiate with instead a gang of Warlords and unit commanders running all over the place (ala Bismarck's move putting Napoleon III back in power after he had been captured at Metz and the Parisians responded by trying to create a new Republic to resist the Prussians during the Franco-Prussian War).  I don't see ComStar getting involved at all unless it looks like the DC will be completely absorbed by the FC or they hear someone say, "Hey, I wonder if Geneva is nice this time of year."  Just my 2 C-bills, YMMV.
Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up