OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What might have been?  (Read 14074 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Re: What might have been?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:16 AM »

Yup trade in your 5 or 6 Houses for 20 or so states but that isn't all. The Cameron society that gave us Neo-Feudal Lords, Mechwarriors, their honor code, and a limited warfare setting is likely a goner. The universe you get maybe far more "realistic" than the "fantastic" BattleTech we all love.

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »

To me, he looks like a Roman Senator.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »

Yup trade in your 5 or 6 Houses for 20 or so states but that isn't all. The Cameron society that gave us Neo-Feudal Lords, Mechwarriors, their honor code, and a limited warfare setting is likely a goner. The universe you get maybe far more "realistic" than the "fantastic" BattleTech we all love.

The large states had formed in response to James McKenna's campaigns, not the rise of the Camerons, so I think the 10 states would have still formed in similar ways.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »

The large states had formed in response to James McKenna's campaigns, not the rise of the Camerons, so I think the 10 states would have still formed in similar ways.
Of the ten large states in the 26th century, only the Capellan Confederation, Outworlds Alliance and Magistracy of Canopus were created after the proposed election. Given that the Capellan Confederation formed in response to being caught between the expansionist FWL and FS (particularly the latter) it's likely that the Capellans will unite more or less per canon although if House Nellas is more aggressive than House Cameron it's possible that the Ducy of Liao might have been conquered by the Terran Hegemony, which would throw quite a wrench into that chain of events.

The OWA and MoC would almost certainly be butterflied depending on the Nellas actions through the Age of War although it's entirely plausible that similar states might emerge.

One chain of events is:-
The Nellas succeed in annexing the Duchy of Liao; leading to Franco Liao not attending the St Andre Conference; leading to the Capellan Confederation; leading to Reynard Davion successfully seizing control of Capella and by extension the Capellan Commonality. A scramble by the TH, FWL and FS to carve up the Capellan sector could readily kick off the Age of War thirty years earlier.
Other consequences of this would be that it might well avert the first clash between the Taurians and the Federated Suns (which was inadvertantly sparked by the Capellan Confederation) and avert the entire Magistracy of Canopus since the campaigns that disenchanted Kossandra Centrella would take place under different leadership. Finally, with the Terrans looking 'south' that might grant more freedom of action to the Lyrans and Draconians. There's no knowing what that could cause.

Blacknova

• Puppet Master
  • Global Moderator
  • General
  • Rugby Players - Inspiration for the BattleMech
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »

An interesting scenario.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

The Kapteyn Universe - http://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn

Follow the KU on twitter: Matt Alexander
@BlackNova01

You know there is something wrong with the FWL, when Word's spell check changes Impavido to Impetigo and Zechetinu to Secretion.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
  • Taking out the Sphere's trash since 3026
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »

Rereading the SLSB, the description of Nellas's character always struck as the post-Alliance's version of a professional politician. Keep in mind the definition of a "professional politician" by Hegemony standards is nothing compared to that in the Alliance or even before. So Nellas was probably no fiend by our measure, but certainly a fellow who knew how to "play the game."

I always likened this election to Nixon/Kennedy. With Nixon actually winning.

Regardless, if Nellas had been elected (and I like drakenis's outline) the future of the Hegemony's scientific lead might have been fundamentally different. With Nellas at the helm a closer parity between the Inner Sphere's states is likely to occur. I still believe the Hegemony would have an edge (population for one, and infrastructure - i.e. Terra, another), but certainly not the 30-50 gap.

Quote from: Dragon Cat
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »

Why would House Nellas lead to a less stronger/advanced Terran Hegemony?

SSJGohan3972

• Sergeant
  • We are the Wolves War is our Element
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »

Maybe a less powerful, centralized government leads to it?

On the exact oposite note why would it lead to a strong/more advanced one? I don't know which one it would be just wondering people's justifications.

"Do not plan for how to defeat the enemy. Plan for how you will avoid acting like a surat when-not if-the enemy does the totally unexpected." Ulric Kerensky

BattleTech: Ripple Effect (My Alternate Universe)
http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/battletech-ripple-effect-au/

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »

Well for one, Michael emphasized the sciences. With Nells we've been given no such indicator. But knowing the relative type of politician he was and some base history we can infer he wouldn't have been as gung-ho on science and tech as Cameron.

That would certainly help close the gap.
WORD (of Blake) is good for two things. 1. Leaving inappropriate notes on other people's work. 2. Adding fake words (of Blake) to the dictionary.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »

I get the sense that Nellas was much more "conservative" than Cameron. Perhaps he may have followed McKenna's Campaigns of Persuasion with his own adventures to expand Hegemony authority. Not to the extent of the early McKenna regime but more of a carrot and stick join us approach that incorporated diplomacy as well as military conquest to this endeavor.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »

I get the sense that Nellas was much more "conservative" than Cameron. Perhaps he may have followed McKenna's Campaigns of Persuasion with his own adventures to expand Hegemony authority. Not to the extent of the early McKenna regime but more of a carrot and stick join us approach that incorporated diplomacy as well as military conquest to this endeavor.

Seeing he was more "normal" than the bookish Cameron, insofar as his background, I'd think he'd have been a fairly "standard" leader. Probably expand where possible, deal where necessary, etc. What I don't see is Nellas giving the Hegemony a specific focus like Cameron, or introducing specialty changes like nobility, etc.

I see someone like Nellas working more along the political principles of McKenna, but that's just me.

Dread Moores

• Overste
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »

If he had worked along the political lines of McKenna, I think the Star League would have been a lot more interesting than the whitewashed version the Camerons cranked out in the initial matter. (To be fair, later material has worked hard to show how shallow that perceptions is, which is a good thing). McKenna wasn't exactly the nicest fellow.
The first one to use the term Dork Age loses.

Knightmare

• Terran Supremacist
  • Network Gnome
  • General
    • Our BattleTech
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »

Honestly, under Nellas (and presumably a normal string of non-related rulers) I doubt the Star League would have formed. Integral to the formation of the League came from what Ian learned from his mother and the political situation she engineered for the Hegemony. Without a Deborah Cameron and her aggressive peacemaking, I highly doubt the idea, let alone the general groundwork for a "Star League" could have formed.

That said, a 26th century Hegemony could well be looking to aggressively expand rather than seek a diplomatic solution to its growing economic and resource problem. 

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »

Succession Wars but without any Succession  8)

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »

Yeah, and the CapCon would probably get clobbered by the Terrans, FedSuns and FWL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up