OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mercenaries 2570  (Read 15681 times)

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
Mercenaries 2570
« on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »

Alright I kinda got a problem with how TPTB describe this era as the dawn of mercenaries. Historical Reunification War (Sidebar Page 18, Page 26 Drawdown of House Forces, etc.) outlines their case. It makes it seem to me like this is when Mechs and Mercs first got together in a big way. I don’t buy that.

Sure there was a lot of downsizing but you can’t take it with you. Lets say you get run out of House service that’s not really your Mech. That’s government property kid.  Sure some steal there rides but it ain’t that many and your not working for the Houses. So I don’t see gobs of Mech units just all of a sudden spawned by the Star League. The first large scale Dispossessed, sure fine.

Here is what I have for mercs of the era. The list is from our Mercenary Guild fanbook and Historical Reunification War. There are a few huge units but they are all House Irregulars who are very friendly with their benefactors. Even the Canopians seemed to be behind the formation of their 6 regiments. Overall most Mercs with a Mech Force are going to be small. Less than a battalion with such formations being uncommon. I would approximate the total Mech force strength of mercenaries at this time to be somewhere between 30-36 regiments.

Mercenary Guild
Foreign Legion (6 regiments)
Northwind Highlanders (6 regiments)
Illician Lancers (6 regiments)
Smithson’s Chinese Bandits (1 regiment)
Grave Walkers (1 battalion)
Vatican Swiss Guard (1 battalion or less)

Outoworld Mercs (1)
Pitcairn Legion (3 regiments)

Canopian Mercenary Regiments (6)
Buquoy’s Bandits
Samuelson’s Slaughterers
Kincani’s Dragoon
Mieselsens Marauders
The Red Hand
Force Majoris

Love to hear your thoughts on the subject and if I missed something please point it out.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:38:37 PM by Takiro »

shwagpo

• Kavallerist
Re: Mercenaries 2570
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

To be completely honest, it makes sense to me when you ask why the mercs came about.  Too me, I look at that era and the equipment wielded as more of a privateering venture.  I think the most logical explanation doesn't come from" they left with their 'mechs". But more of a "we can't have them as regulars, but independent contractors are perfectly legit."  The Houses, in realizing that they need to downsize, go the less ethical route and form the units, hopeful to tie them to their realm in the process, from their newly dispossessed and cached equipment. 

It's just a matter of how you look at it, and of how the "stolen" units are presented to the Council.  For the Houses, they lose a bit of equipment and personnel from the rolls on paper, but gain much of it back on contract in actuality.  Keeping them to a battalion here or there would help keep questions to a minimum, though.  Could be an explanation as to why so many of them were so close at hand during the downsizing.  Not all would have come from there, but I am sure a great deal of them could have been brought about secretly in such a fashion.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:34:01 AM »

I'd agree the first Mercs would have been wealthy thrill seekers, House Privateers or rogues who later found a legitimate business to be had

The mercenary trade plays pretty well with BattleTech it's almost part in parcel of the universe to me - side note another reason me and jihad/early DA eras fell out the apparent death of merc trade

One reason I always hated the Dragoons always too false for me but an example how the early units likely formed - state sponsored independent guns for hire
My stuff, and my AU timeline follow link and enjoy

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »

Hi I was glancing over the Illician Lancers information and it seems that they were over 9 regiments strong plus reserves , support units and an ASF Wing. When they were first formed in 2752. They were whittled down to 4 regiments by the 3060's but by 3067 they were able to rebuild into a square brigade once again. Which is a mech regiment supported by a regiment of armor , a regiment of mechanized infantry and a fighter wing.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

CJvR

• Fanjunkare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »

Sure there was a lot of downsizing but you can’t take it with you. Lets say you get run out of House service that’s not really your Mech. That’s government property kid.
Yeah, but if you factor in that the houses were looking for ways to cheat then it becomes more plausible. You pick a few very loyal officers and have them form a mercenary unit that will get some surplus equipment as a retirement bonus. It is off the house records but still essentially available. Sort of like Lord Vorloupulous and his 2000 cooks...
http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vorloupulous%27s_Law

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »

You pick a few very loyal officers and have them form a mercenary unit that will get some surplus equipment as a retirement bonus. It is off the house records but still essentially available. Sort of like Lord Vorloupulous and his 2000 cooks...
http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vorloupulous%27s_Law

That's a good idea and after one or two generations, they just become what you always pretended they were, ie mercenaries.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »

Pretty much how I always saw mercs likely why the houses are constantly trying to tie them back to the Houses as well they want to make them the disposable forces they always were an interesting circle if there ever was one

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Really, as long as there is an unbroken line of people calling themselves "Clan Nova Cat," it doesn't really matter to me if they're still using Iron Wombs or not. They may be dead as a faction, but as a people they still exist. It's not uncommon in the real world, after all.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »

I guess it does make sense for the first large Mech equipped mercenary forces to be appearing at this time. The creation of the Star League does bring up some hard ceilings for the Houses and if you'll notice most of the units are large House Irregulars (State Sponsored Mercs).

Not sure if I buy the Illician Lancers at more than six Mech regiments as the text eludes to them as an over sized BattleMech Division. So I'm still going with 6 or do you guys think Gabriel is right with

I was going to have the Foreign Legion as a Terran creation of this time as well. Yes the 6 regiments of the Legion had been around but perhaps this is when they acquire Mechs. Essentially offering a spot to dispossessed House Mechwarriors stemming the efforts of the Canopians and other would be employers. Ice Hellion what do you think?

We can have fun with the Northwind Highlanders here as well. I could see the Capellans mercifying them to avoid arms restrictions and come up with other benefits. Also it could be a win for the Highlanders as it would mark their first return home?? The Star League could use them to garrison the interior from Northwind augmenting the Hegemony's defense during the war.

The Canopian Regiments and the Pitcairn Legion are covered already not much to add to them I am thinking.

That leaves me with three thus far known mercs of the era who are much smaller than their brethren although Smithson’s Chinese Bandits could be bigger than their 1 regiment. If you look at our write up in Mercenary Guild it implies they are Marik State Sponsored so could they be larger. Irose what say you?

Obviously the Vatican Swiss Guard has a sponsor but would they need Mechs at this time (1 battalion or less)?

Do the Lyrans and Draconians sponsor any mercs at the time?

That leaves us with the Grave Walkers (1 battalion) and other smaller Merc units of this era. No state sponsorship. These are the do it yourself units who have worked for everything they have. Much different attitude here I think. An interesting divide.

So lets talk size of this Merc Mech Force. How do you guys feel about my 36 regiment ceiling? Too big or too small?

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »

I'd think if the Lyrans have Hesperus II they'd probably have a personal "army"/defence force of the Hesperus II family who exist as Mercs but likely are little more than House troops dedicated to Hesperus with all the toys

For the Dracs The Ronin have been around for a long time warriors with no lord maybe not in service with the Combine though

The Illician Order is part religious I think based originally out of Italy IIRC they were made proper merc after the Amaris Coup.  With religion and Terra as factors they could be huge in organisation

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

shwagpo

• Kavallerist
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 04:20:22 AM »

My only real question comes from the Grave Walkers, and when they went from said Battalion to two regiments.  The Succession Wars were a hard time for most merc units, but we know they were at 2 regiments, plus full dropship and support units by 3025.  They were financially set, but unless there are things in newer products,  I would be unsure of when that growth happened.  All we really know is that they served everywhere at some point during the succession wars and had a proud history until their shattering during the clan invasion, and were doing very well for themselves under their Lyran employ for those 25 years we know of.

36 regiments may be about right for the bigger, well known units.  But for every Northwind Highlanders unit or what have you, there's probably 3 or 4 battalions serving elsewhere.  As others have said, there's also the cases of major manufacturing firms and planets, where they'd likely have private security forces in their employ, and places for recently dispossessed 'Mechwarriors picked up thanks to their patronage with their associated houses.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »

I was going to have the Foreign Legion as a Terran creation of this time as well. Yes the 6 regiments of the Legion had been around but perhaps this is when they acquire Mechs. Essentially offering a spot to dispossessed House Mechwarriors stemming the efforts of the Canopians and other would be employers. Ice Hellion what do you think?

That's a good idea. With Earth under one command, you have to find a new source of raw recruits and the idea of a prestigious unit being able to attract  a lot of the available 'MechWarriors/Soldiers is quite good.

But do you really want to make them an all 'Mech forces?
The 13th French Demi-Brigade (I dropped the Royal along the way) and the 1st French Regiment could be but the other units could be what they are on paper (ie infantry and armoured units).
This would make the full French unit something of a flexible combined-arms unit with 2 'Mech, 2 Infantry, 2 Armoured Regiments and with 0.5 Support Regiment (training/HQ/Air Support/...).
This last 0.5 coming from the Demi-Brigade.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:35:23 PM »

I forgot to say that these units could also be used in an independent way (like today) with one or several units being sent on a mission or in support of bigger units depending on the contract and employer.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »

I'd think if the Lyrans have Hesperus II they'd probably have a personal "army"/defence force of the Hesperus II family who exist as Mercs but likely are little more than House troops dedicated to Hesperus with all the toys

The Lyrans do not "have" Hesperus II at this time. While it is a shared world the Hegemony controls the young industry that will one day become the underground factory fortress of Defiance Industries.

I was thinking that the Lyrans might look down on mercenary forces at this time. Their view and near reliance may have evolved over time. Plus it might be a neat twist to have such an opposite way of thinking for the Commonwealth.

For the Dracs The Ronin have been around for a long time warriors with no lord maybe not in service with the Combine though

While I am sure individual Ronin may exist at this time their big appearance doesn't come until the Edict of 2650. So I will be going in another direction if I create a house merc unit for Kuritas. Perhaps they are Death to Mercs to begin with??

The Illician Order is part religious I think based originally out of Italy IIRC they were made proper merc after the Amaris Coup.  With religion and Terra as factors they could be huge in organisation

Is the Illician Order religious??

Ice, I am thinking that the Foreign Legion will be one of the primary forces involved in our Minor Periphery Operations during the Reunification War. Yes I think they will be fully Mech equipped with each unit being so outfitted early in the war. Perhaps the Legion draws Mechwarriors from all over the InnerSphere - translation all six Houses. Maybe the worse problem cases sent to the great beyond never to be heard from again. I do think they will be a combined arms unit that is in a state of flux. Armor and infantry to begin with obviously as Mechs are added to their commands.

Dragon Cat

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 12:01:54 AM »

Not religious (my mistake away from books)

According to Sarna they were a Miliary Order formed mostly from warriors that voluntarily chose to leave commands

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Illician_Lancers

The original CBT thread
Dragon Cat on CBT

Rainbow 6

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »

The Lyran's have their Household troops Liaison so they could be using them instead of merc's pre succession wars.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up