OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AU Developers - Please PM Knightmare or MechRat if you need board or permission changes

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Name this Fortification!  (Read 11732 times)

widowcompany

• SD Developer
  • Menig
  • New Dallas 7th Cavalry Militia, 2nd Battalion
Re: Name this Fortification!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 02:09:52 AM »

How about Fort Iwo Jima

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 03:52:09 AM »

Too offensive oriented?

And Knightmare is right.

I think I wrote something about Coblitz.
I will check it when I get home.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

CJvR

• Fanjunkare
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 04:45:44 AM »

Lot of good suggestions CJvR. Corregidor is a good name certainly but the US did lose initially.
Yes, but it was recaptured, in a rather brutal fasion IIRC.

MechRat

• Knightmare's Evil Minion
  • Network Gnome
  • Generalmajor
  • I just keep things moving here...
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 07:59:26 AM »

I think I wrote something about Coblitz.

Ice, you did. I have a copy if you can't find it.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »

I do vaguely remember an Ice write up for the SL Sentinel. Here is the canon reference.

“There are many who profess to understand the basic tenets of combat and yet who have never once set foot upon a battlefield. They will tell you exactly what you did wrong, touting this principle or that and quoting Sun-Tzu as if his words were from God himself. But anyone who’s actually led men into battle knows this one, basic truth: always keep on the move, pushing forward with everything you have as fast as you can. Even if sometimes that happens to be in the opposite direction from the enemy.”
–Terran Hegemony Field Marshal Mears Coblitz, as quoted by Tai-sho Hideki Grauman

Interestingly enough Coblitz is quoted by a Kurita officer during the War of 3039 so you could conclude that he was an honored/skilled opponent. However there is no direct evidence he ever fought them.

Gabriel

• General
  • We the Swift,Quiet and Deadly Bring Forth Death
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 11:29:11 PM »

What about Fort Doolittle named after Lieutenant Colonel James "Jimmy" Doolittle ? After all he taught the japanese they were not as invulnerable as they thought they were. This megacastle would show Kurita that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 11:45:17 PM »

What about Fort Doolittle named after Lieutenant Colonel James "Jimmy" Doolittle ? After all he taught the japanese they were not as invulnerable as they thought they were. This megacastle would show Kurita that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Parapharsing Eisenhower - very nice. ;) Unfortunately MegaCastle Doolittle don't ring like a go getter for me even with its historical context. Good try though, nice to see you posting on the new forum btw Gabriel. Welcome!

Gabriel

• General
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »

I will work on it. If not a megacastle how about a Forward Operating Base or something in that nature?
Fear is our most powerful weapon and a Heavy Regiment of Von Rohrs Battlemech's is a very close second.-attributed to Kozo Von Rohrs
Will of Iron,Nerves of Steel,Heart of Gold,Balls of Brass... No wonder I set off metal detectors.Death or Compliance now that's not to much to ask for,is it?

Gabriel

• General
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 12:38:32 AM »

What about Fort Lionheart?

lrose

• General
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 06:23:07 AM »

Unfortunately MegaCastle Doolittle don't ring like a go getter for me even with its historical context.

I realize Megacastle is a take on Castle Brian but why not break from the past (as we are doing with the TR and House Sinclair anyway) and go with the simpler Fort __________  It gives alot more options for names, it's a lot less pretentious and you don't necessarily single out a particular base as being super important for the defense of an entire front.

MechRat

• Knightmare's Evil Minion
  • Network Gnome
  • Generalmajor
  • I just keep things moving here...
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »

I like lrose's idea. With a number of fortifications name in this manner, it forces the enemy to spend time and resources to figure out the size and importance of each one.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »

I appreciate the idea guys but want to follow the template set by MegaCastle Schrack on Hall for the Marik Front. They are grandiose structures built for the specific purpose of commanding their fronts against the Republic's two primary adversaries hence the pretentious name. Besides Forts are a dime a dozen and these standout anyway in my opinion.

I had also planned a third and final MegaCastle being constructed on Earth near the Royal Palace which was to be the Terran military headquarters like the Citadel was for the SLDF or Mount Davion is for the AFFS or Asgard is for the LCAF. Using the first two as a basis it would perfect the MegaCastle design but I couldn't think of a name for that either when I wrote FM Terran Republic. As it is not a Front Command but the Military Headquarters of the entire nation I would "break precedent" for that. The Watchtower has a very good ring to it actually.

Serack

• Menig
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »

how about Marianas  :)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »

What about Fort Lionheart?

Quite suited for the one on Terra.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up