OBT Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OurBattleTech.com - A BattleTech Fan Site

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quicksilver Program #30: Clan Helicopter Gunship  (Read 11980 times)

Ice Hellion

• Protector of the Taurian Concordat
  • KU Player
  • General
  • Beware of the all-seeing eye: Ice Hellion
Re: Quicksilver Program #30: Clan Helicopter Gunship
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 02:19:19 AM »

I will not make it on time but your contest is really interesting.

"In turn they tested each Clan namesake
in trial against the Ice Hellion's mettle.
Each chased the Ice Hellion, hunting it down.
All failed to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said, "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance (Clan Ice Hellion) Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1 - 5

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 02:58:40 AM »

Darn, maybe next contest Ice. ;) That is it gang. Contest over. I will get the review done ASAP.

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »

Darn, maybe next contest Ice. ;) That is it gang. Contest over. I will get the review done ASAP.

I don't know.
I had ideas but not enough time on my side.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »

Well if the first contest is any indication Phase Three of the Quicksilver Program is going to be some event. Four designers (welcome back JP) submitted seven superb entries which as masterarminas put it represented “five separate Clans (and the proto-Society), every movement profile from 8/12 to 12/18 (and 20/30!!), and pod-space from 2.5-14 tons.” In fact the only “Vehicle Clan” not to participate in the VTOL Challenge was Diamond Shark which must have had something to do with bean counting. Before I begin let me say I was impressed by every design. Except for one, which I had to disqualify for XL engineness, they all could have won. Great job gang!

N/A. R-77 (JPArbiter)
Quite possibly my favorite entry was this 11 ton proto-Society (as masterarminas termed it) Ultralight. Unfortunately its 125 XL Engine which gives it an incredible 20/30 MP is beyond the scope of this contest. It does lead me to the possibility of allowing such extravagance on these tiny vehicles which could dramatically improve their performance. Small Extra Light Engines like the 125 would not be difficult to develop per say and like the Ultralight Vehicle are very legal. The cost of the R-77 at its top end configuration is a mere 1 million C-bills, would it be worth it? Certainly is something I will have to contemplate going forward. As for the rest of your story the story of a converted high speed civilian transport is acceptable but being non canon minimum its impact. Do not get me wrong I like the idea especially if it had been applied from a canon source in production. Just not as high on it without. Surprised you did not go with Ferro Fibrous which would improve the 1.5 tons of standard armor (24 factor). While 2.5 tons of pod space is a small amount thanks to its size it really ain’t that shabby. The configurations are very nicely done especially Primary with its 5 ER Smalls which fit under the integral heat sinks and the vehicle space limitations. Great job JP, even though it is a no go for this contest you really gave me a lot to think about and gawk at. Amazing speed!!

6. Pele (Abele)
This 10 ton Star Adder design is almost totally new with the exception of its rotor housing from the SLDF’s Ripper. Of course, this could be negative but the small size of this single crew Ultralight really would mitigate those concerns. Using 60 Fusion Engines (11/17 MP) from decommissioned UrbanMechs was a neat way to power this nimble entry. Well named after the Hawaiian goddess this entry has pretty good fluff. With only 2 tons of Ferro Fibrous (38 factor) this attack craft is vulnerable and 3 tons of pod space is not that much. Again that being said she ain’t that shabby for the size but when compared to some of the big boys. You did a real nice job with the Configurations especially C which nearly matches the R-77 in firepower. I suppose you could swap in a Light Active Probe when available and another ER Small which would exceed its capabilities except in regards to speed. Still this is nimble and cheap with costs top out at 800 thousand C-bills a unit. Nice job!

5. Apollo (masterarminas)
This Ice Hellion led effort went one step too far for me in the fluff. I liked how the Goliath Scorpions were dragged into the design by their debt and recommended the 15 ton enlarged SLDF Ripper. Using the Omni 70 Fusion Engine (11/17 MP) that comes with the original is fine but how exactly are the Hell’s Horses in any better position to supply this power plant then the Hellions? I see no canon evidence of the Horses producing the Ripper and civilian production could well extend to any Clan for non military versions. I am sure the Hellions might have a few of these old helicopters available to them as well. It was just a little too much for me bringing in the Horses. The design is excellent. Love this Ultralight Vehicle piloted by a single warrior and 6 tons of pod space with 2 tons of Ferro Fibrous (38 factor) makes for a pretty awesome design! One I hope to see again with a little less Horse power. Sorry MA, if you have a canon example of the Horses maintaining Ripper production then I will reevaluate. Sadly I can not find one.

4. Morrigan (drakensis)
This Blood Spirit effort backed by Kindraa Kline who assisted with OmniTech concerns was based on the Donar Attack Helicopter (22 tons). Using the readily available 60 Fusion Engine (9/14 MP) from the Shamash Recon Vehicle is a very nice touch. Three tons of Ferro Fibrous (57 factor) mounted forward is good protection for this 2 man VTOL. With 10 tons of pod space this attack helicopter could carry an impressive arsenal into battle. I liked most of the Configurations (Primary and D being my favorites) except for C which I am concerned has too many items. However, the fluff is very solid and the name is excellent. Very high marks here drak, nice job!

3. Menhit (Abele)
This 30 ton design based on the Anhur was forwarded by the Hell’s Horses. While it is not a helicopter per say thanks to its tilt rotor design it is effective as a gunship. The fluff here enables me to comment on the 2 man crew proposal mixing warrior and non warrior in a combat vehicle. The idea of letting a tech pilot the craft works for me in regards to VTOLs cause there is really no possibility of charging attacks. I suppose since the tech pilot is at the command of the warrior such actions with other vehicles would be permissible. But it is a gray area. I would recommend the Blood Spirits be the first to try it as their techs can get a second chance to test up. Using the 160 Fusion Engine (10/15) from the Corvis is a very nice touch as it is still in production. The 2.5 tons of Ferro Fibrous (47 factor) provides solid protection and the 11 tons of pod space is impressive. Fluff is alright and I liked the name of this Nubian war goddess. Bronze for Abele!

2. Helios (JPArbiter)
Ice Hellion clearing out their caches to field Flurry units very neatly sets up this 22 ton design based on the SLDF Vector (Historical Liberation of Terra Volume 2). The 125 Fusion Engine (12/18 MP) is included with the original which was noted for it semi modularity. Real nice pick by JP, the fluff is spot on, and the name is excellent. With 6 tons of pod space and three configurations (Primary, A, and C) mirroring its predecessor this is a real nice entry. I love the other configurations too especially D and its side mounted Large Pulse Laser meant to circle unlucky opponents. With 3.5 tons of Ferro Fibrous (67 factor) it is also well protected. Great job JP, very well done. Silver medal!

1. Fenris (drakensis)
This Wolf Clan entry was almost a little too thin especially in regards to fluff but this 30 ton design based on the Anhur sells itself. A design already in production is a huge plus and with refit packages planned for existing models it fits with other Quicksilver efforts. The straight forward conversion from a standard transport to a modular gunship works even if it is not a helicopter per say. The 100 Fusion Engine (8/12 MP) was retained as is from the original Anhur. The “big” change comes from stripping out the 3 extra Heat Sinks seen on the Anhur. This frees up an additional ton of armor, 4 tons of Ferro Fibrous (76 factor), which adds to its protection and leaves 14 tons for pod space which really allowed for impressive capabilities. The possibilities ranging from an Ultra AC/20 (A), LB 20-X AC (B), Gauss Rifle (C), Arrow IV System (M), and many others are just too awesome to decline. The aptly named Fenris is the winner, congrats drak!

It is my hope the even though the larger designs fared better in this contest that proponents of Ultralights do not get discouraged. I assure you there is a place for them in this setting even if they get beat this time around. After the contests conclude in it is very likely that I will go back to them for separate development thanks to their small size and inexpensive costs. They can be extremely effective in my opinion and this opening challenge really shows that. Thanks again to everyone involved and we will be moving onto our second vehicle contest shortly.

drakensis

• Duke of Avalon
  • KU Player
  • General
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »

A tightly fought category. Well done to everyone.

masterarminas

• General
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »

Sorry MA, if you have a canon example of the Horses maintaining Ripper production then I will reevaluate. Sadly I can not find one.

There isn't one.  But it makes sense that the Clans jwould have unarmed vehicles for their civilian population, including 'copters like the Ripper for medical evacuations and VIP transports, as well as fast couriers.  Unfortunately, with the exception of civilian model unarmed Anhurs, such a thing is not mentioned (or rather, they are not officially given stats) by canon.

Shrug.  The low cost of the 10-ton Ripper, and the cargo bay, make it perfect for some Clan (or Clans) to retain in production for just that purpose.  But there is nothing in canon to indicate that they do.

Congrats, Drakensis.

MA

Abele

• General
  • A Man in a Tin Suit
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 12:31:44 PM »

Here's a 25-tonner I was working on, but left it out due to a lack of podspace for it size.

Code: [Select]
25-ton test

Mass: 25 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Motive Type: VTOL OmniVehicle
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E-A
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 1,092,361 C-Bills
Battle Value: 247

Power Plant:  160 Fusion Engine
Cruise Speed: 129.6 km/h
Flanking Speed: 194.4 km/h
Armor:  Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    6.0 tons of pod space.
Manufacturer:
    Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                      15 points                2.50
Engine:             Fusion Engine                160                       9.00
    Cruise MP:  12
    Flank MP:   18
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
Control Equipment:                                                         1.50
Lift Equipment:                                                            2.50
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV -  67                  3.50

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     21       
                                          Left/Right   15/15       
                                                Rear     14       
                                               Rotor     2         

================================================================================
Loadout Name: Prime                                          Cost: 1,559,861
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-E-A                       BV2: 921

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             12                        2.00

Equipment                                 Location    Heat     Spaces     Mass 
ER Large Laser                               FR        12        1         4.00

Loadout Name: A                                              Cost: 1,493,403
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-E-A                       BV2: 968

Large Pulse Laser                            FR        10        1         6.00

Loadout Name: B                                              Cost: 1,734,028
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-E-A                       BV2: 1,196

2 ER Medium Lasers                           FR        10        2         2.00
Streak SRM-6                                 FR        4         1         3.00
@Streak SRM-6 (15)                           BD        -         0         1.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      2    Points: 12
12v        3       3       0       0      1     0   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: OMNI, CASE

The Honor of Men cannot be bound by the words of Fools- Marco Hietala
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Chaos doesn't need a recipe, just a list of ingredients. - Drakensis
Kachi ni Fushigi no Kachi Ari. Make ni Fushigi no Make Nashi
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of Doom™®©

Ice Hellion

• KU Player
  • General
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »

Sorry MA, if you have a canon example of the Horses maintaining Ripper production then I will reevaluate. Sadly I can not find one.

There isn't one.  But it makes sense that the Clans jwould have unarmed vehicles for their civilian population, including 'copters like the Ripper for medical evacuations and VIP transports, as well as fast couriers.  Unfortunately, with the exception of civilian model unarmed Anhurs, such a thing is not mentioned (or rather, they are not officially given stats) by canon.

MA

The Cobra?

JPArbiter

• General
  • Host of Arbitration. Your last word in Battletech
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »

the two and a half tons of pod space was EXACTLY the size needed to put the R-77 with a NOVA eventually.  Also keep in mind the society has existed since the fall of Clan Wolverine, in fact was STARTED by absorbed Wolverine scientists (Betrayal of Ideals).

anyway congratulations to Drake on his win. 
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT!

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 10:38:54 PM »

Shrug.  The low cost of the 10-ton Ripper, and the cargo bay, make it perfect for some Clan (or Clans) to retain in production for just that purpose.  But there is nothing in canon to indicate that they do.

It does make sense for the Clans to have a civilian Ripper. I have no problems with that. What I did not like was the need projected which bought the Horses in. Ice Hellion could have been producing the Ripper just as easy as Hell's Horses in my opinion. Heck with their Flurry units the Hellions could have starting rearming them. If there had been some bit of fiction saying only the Horses built it for x then fine. It was just one twist to many for me. Sorry MA.

Here's a 25-tonner I was working on, but left it out due to a lack of podspace for it size.

Interesting Abele. The 12/18 MP was already occupied even though the 25 ton category was not. The SLDF's old Nightshade could have served as the basis if you had wished. The 160 Fusion Engine could have been obtained from either the Snow Fox (Ice Hellion) or the Corvis (Hell's Horses) which are both in production. With 3.5 tons of Ferro Fibrous (67 factor) it would have been one of the better protected gunship entries. The 6 tons of pod space is pretty good and enables your first two configurations mounting a single long range energy weapon. Prime has a single ER Large and Alternate A has a Large Pulse Laser. Both are nasty long range threats to any target. Alternate B goes away from a single large energy weapon to mount a closer fighting harder hitting arsenal. With 2 ER Mediums and a Streak SRM-6 it can do almost 2.5 times more damage than the first two configurations. It had potential but likely would not have won. The fluff would have been important in ultimately deciding where it finished but we will never know.

the two and a half tons of pod space was EXACTLY the size needed to put the R-77 with a NOVA eventually.  Also keep in mind the society has existed since the fall of Clan Wolverine, in fact was STARTED by absorbed Wolverine scientists (Betrayal of Ideals).

Really!? Color me surprised. I always thought that the Society was a Coyote creation. Sort of their bipolar split personality coming out with the foundations laid during the Versailles Pact. Traditionalist Warriors going one way and Liberal Scientists going the other. I would love to talk with you more about the Society JP cause I have plans for them in Clarion Call.

JPArbiter

• General
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 11:39:28 AM »

Our first hint at The Society was in the Novel Falcon Guard when Peri was recruited by Khan Pryde for The Watch and found the Aiden Pryde clone Sibko.  Later Blaine Pardoe in Betrayal of ideals heavily hinted that the destined to be absorbed Wolverine Scientists would work with their colleagues among the clans to undermine Nicholas Kerensky's ideals, the biggest blow was the contamination of several generations of Ghost Bear Warriors with Wolverine Genes (and possibly other clans).

long and short, The Society heavily pre-existed the Wars of Reaving and were created by a Caste rather then a Clan.  that the Coyotoe's were so tied to the Society has more to do witht he Coyote's cooperation with the Scientist caste, which was no more unusual then the Sharks Merchant ties.
BattleTech products aren't Pokemon Cards. You don't have to catch, or collect them all.

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »

I thought all lower casteman of the Not Named Clan were sterilized to prevent the treachery from spreading?

JPArbiter

• General
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »

you can keep people from breeding, but not from spreading ideas

Takiro

• General
  • For the Last Cameron!
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »

True dat! I guess the Wolverine Scientists were quite successful given the level of advancement by their Clan compared to others. I could see an Operation Paper Clip type thing undertaken by the Clans hoping for some type of advantage. It is interesting that Circe was one of the strongholds of the Society and that was a Wolverine holding if I am not mistaken.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up